We got your back Zach!

Shelbyblue

Just read a piece after today's game where Saleh said, Zach needs to learn its OK to play a boring game.  I emphasized this all week, in other terms. Saleh gets it. That is exactly correct BUT why isnt this being beaten into Zach's head.  It's Saleh's responsibility to ingraine this philosophy into his rookie QB until he matures and can be trusted.  Yea Zach is throwing the ball, making his decisions on the field. But Saleh needs to step in if this mentality doesnt come with repurcussions.  They need to sign a vet ASAP this week. Bring back Johnson. He played well in preseaon. No idea wy he was cut loose.  If Zach needs to be benched and sent to bed without milk and cookies, so be it. The Bears were intent to sit Fields until Dalton got hurt. Trye lance is sitting behind Garrapolo.  Personally, I'd sign either Johnson or Cam Newton and sit Zach until halfway through the season or longer.  There is no rush here.  This could just delay any progress and screw with this kid's confidence.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Just read a piece after today's game where Saleh said, Zach needs to learn its OK to play a boring game.  I emphasized this all week, in other terms. Saleh gets it. That is exactly correct BUT why isn't this being beaten into Zach's head.  It's Saleh's responsibility to ingrain this philosophy into his rookie QB until he matures and can be trusted.  Yea Zach is throwing the ball, making his decisions on the field. But Saleh needs to step in if this mentality doesn't come with repercussions.  They need to sign a vet ASAP this week. Bring back Johnson. He played well in preseason. No idea why he was cut loose.  If Zach needs to be benched and sent to bed without milk and cookies, so be it. The Bears were intent to sit Fields until Dalton got hurt. Trey lance is sitting behind Garoppolo.  Personally, I'd sign either Johnson or Cam Newton and sit Zach until halfway through the season or longer.  There is no rush here.  This could just delay any progress and screw with this kid's confidence.

Then why did they spend an entire offseason not doing that? 

Also, you can't bench him after you spent an offseason anointing him the starter unless you want to turn him into Tua. 

52 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Then why did they spend an entire offseason not doing that? 

Also, you can't bench him after you spent an offseason anointing him the starter unless you want to turn him into Tua. 

Thats a good question. I dont have the answer to that. Perhaps they thought he could hold his own. He's a cocky kid and probably could start and play well under the right circumstances. Its pretty evident this isnt it right now. Bottom line is they need to reel him in. Play a BORING game like Saleh just said.  Dummy down the offense, run more, safer passes, screens, quick outs etc etc etc. Stop letting him run around back there trying to be Houdini. Discipline, focus are things he needs to learn.  Thats whats made Brady so great.  He's a live wire right now.  And yea they could bench him for awhile. Nothing wrong with that.  I wanted to sit him the entire year until the talent level catches up.  This team is just way to young and inexperienced.  

ZW career won’t be defined after two games, but I don’t see how you can’t be worried at this point. The kid just turned in one of the worst Jet QB performances I can remember. 

Not worried at all.

He was off most of the day and forced there balls that were picked. He’s a rookie, he is going to take his lumps.

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Thats a good question. I dont have the answer to that. Perhaps they thought he could hold his own. He's a cocky kid and probably could start and play well under the right circumstances. Its pretty evident this isnt it right now. Bottom line is they need to reel him in. Play a BORING game like Saleh just said.  Dummy down the offense, run more, safer passes, screens, quick outs etc etc etc. Stop letting him run around back there trying to be Houdini. Discipline, focus are things he needs to learn.  Thats whats made Brady so great.  He's a live wire right now.  And yea they could bench him for awhile. Nothing wrong with that.  I wanted to sit him the entire year until the talent level catches up.  This team is just way to young and inexperienced.  

Good points. Nothing to disagree with.  But lafleur also has something to do with and maybe saleh’s comment was directed at him too.  The run blocking was pretty good.  Some of the play action worked too. But when Wilson dropped back it was too often a poor throw.  They needed to settle him down.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He was a one year wonder at BYU. We took a flyer on arm talent and anointed him king right off the bat. He has no idea what he’s doing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is what learning on the fly looks like. He looked like it was his first time on a football field. I’m hopIng the “ film junkie” in him stares at this film until it is seared into his brain and he never dies it again. Like ever. Hopefully next week LaFleur and Saleh change the game plan so kid can make some easy throws and get it rythm If he needs to ball out later I’m hopeful we put the best guys out there. Guys that can go get the ball and play defense if the ball is off a bit, Strong, fast, tall, athletic aggressive go get the damn ball types. Yeah, him! FD

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This is what learning on the fly looks like. He looked like it was his first time on a football field. I’m hopIng the “ film junkie” in him stares at this film until it is seared into his brain and he never dies it again. Like ever. Hopefully next week LaFleur and Saleh change the game plan so kid can make some easy throws and get it rythm If he needs to ball out later I’m hopeful we put the best guys out there. Guys that can go get the ball and play defense if the ball is off a bit, Strong, fast, tall, athletic aggressive go get the damn ball types. Yeah, him! FD

Film junkie. Lol.

image.thumb.png.55eb0ef73fc888bebca4049940b3276f.png

---

image.png.9b6568051530f4da2a4ccb1463913c08.png

---

image.png.5aebdcc6c91b22bc79cfc3e508535125.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know what Zack was seeing during all the bad plays he made but even the long pass down the sideline, he threw Moore out of bounds.  Moore was all alone on that play. He probably should have scored. 

Yeah, that was disappointing for sure. Moore was wide open, if the thrower of that ball puts that on the inside Moore trots easily to 6. Maybe next time? 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know what Zack was seeing during all the bad plays he made but even the long pass down the sideline, he threw Moore out of bounds.  Moore was all alone on that play. He probably should have scored. 

Aiming. When a hitter is batting well he swings through the ball but when a batter is struggling he tries to time everything perfectly and thinks too much about how to hit the ball. After he got fooled by the defense for a few quarters, Wilson was trying to be absolutely precise with everything and it caused hesitation and inaccuracy. 

If Wilson is to be a good QB in this league he has to come out next week perform. No carry over from this game just improvement.

7 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

I still believe he is special, anybody thinking he wasn’t gonna have days like this must be nuts. Coach said there will be days like this. Stop the crying the kids got “it” he just doesn’t know how to play the position yet. When he gets it watch out!

I think he does know how to play the position.  Lefleur is in way over his head.  Zach could have done what Mac Jones did yesterday with good coaching.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The silver lining is to look at Peyton Manning. He was a hot mess his first year. So there is hope. I think Wilson is mentally tough enough to get through this. 
Yes it’s good to be boring but don’t take the fire out from him. He has to test his limits to learn and improve. We just have to endure the ride

I still believe he is special, anybody thinking he wasn’t gonna have days like this must be nuts. Coach said there will be days like this. Stop the crying the kids got “it” he just doesn’t know how to play the position yet. When he gets it watch out!
He is a goddam rookie .. people acting like he should Aaron Rogers out of the gate should be ashamed and embarassed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

From all accounts I hear Joe Burrows is a pretty good QB, correct?

Did anyone else see at one point that he was something like 14 of 28 for 150 yards or so with 0 TDs and  3 INT?  I do not remember exactly but it wasn't good.

I was not for drafting another QB for this team, but I do think he is going to be pretty good, but not after one or two or 17 games.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Just read a piece after today's game where Saleh said, Zach needs to learn its OK to play a boring game.  I emphasized this all week, in other terms. Saleh gets it. That is exactly correct BUT why isnt this being beaten into Zach's head.  It's Saleh's responsibility to ingraine this philosophy into his rookie QB until he matures and can be trusted.  Yea Zach is throwing the ball, making his decisions on the field. But Saleh needs to step in if this mentality doesnt come with repurcussions.  They need to sign a vet ASAP this week. Bring back Johnson. He played well in preseaon. No idea wy he was cut loose.  If Zach needs to be benched and sent to bed without milk and cookies, so be it. The Bears were intent to sit Fields until Dalton got hurt. Trye lance is sitting behind Garrapolo.  Personally, I'd sign either Johnson or Cam Newton and sit Zach until halfway through the season or longer.  There is no rush here.  This could just delay any progress and screw with this kid's confidence.

They know he is going to make mistakes but I also think they don't want to put a short leash on him either and have him checking down every pass play either. You could tell he has the physical tools and made some good throws also. What has to stop is the God awful throws to guys being double and triple covered. I hope he will learn in time when to be boring and to take what the defense gives him. 

• Upvote 1

What choice do we have?  

This is just another example in a long line of complete and utter mismanagement of a young inexperienced rookie QB who is not ready to handle the NFL.  He was a huge project with tons of glaring issues in college and they drafted him and expected him to be ready to lead a 2 win Football team without anyone to turn to and learn the position.   Not fortifying the best OL money can buy and not having a bridge QB to take the first season/or at least half the season while Zachkapono watched and learned, is an absolute ******* joke.  There isnt a single person in the building experienced with developing a QB.

Seeing Mac Jones talking to Brian Hoyer and Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichick while Zachkapono is going to the sidelines to talk to the Mikey's, is all you need to know about how he's being developed by the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

He was a one year wonder at BYU. We took a flyer on arm talent and anointed him king right off the bat. He has no idea what he’s doing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

if he busts, the one year wonder playing a cupcake schedule going to be so obvious in hindsight.

the guy has the arm talent and seems to have the work ethic.

35 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

The silver lining is to look at Peyton Manning. He was a hot mess his first year. So there is hope. I think Wilson is mentally tough enough to get through this. 
Yes it’s good to be boring but don’t take the fire out from him. He has to test his limits to learn and improve. We just have to endure the ride

I am sorry but there is a lot of difference between Manning and Wilson. Yes, Manning threw the ball all over the place but Manning played for Tn. which had a good team back then. They played other good teams, not what BYU plays every year. Zack should be sitting this year and getting acclimated to the league.  Instead we have him out there in one game getting murdered by the poor play of the OL and in a second the only thing missing was Zack being mic'd up like Darnold was saying he was seeing ghosts.  I can only imagine what he was saying on the bench. 

And all of what I wrote of course is not on Zack, it is on Saleh and JD. I am sick of the clown car being parked on one Jets drive. 

46 minutes ago, hawk said:

From all accounts I hear Joe Burrows is a pretty good QB, correct?

Did anyone else see at one point that he was something like 14 of 28 for 150 yards or so with 0 TDs and  3 INT?  I do not remember exactly but it wasn't good.

I was not for drafting another QB for this team, but I do think he is going to be pretty good, but not after one or two or 17 games.

Joe Burrow has a body of work the fans can fall back on. Even Brady has had awful games. With Zack there is a whole lot of ugly so far

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

All game his mechanics were horrible.  Off balance, back foot throws.  He was probably seeing plays like this but was constantly off target.  Almost makes me wonder if he's a bit shell shocked from the pounding he took in Carolina...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Joe Burrow has a body of work the fans can fall back on. Even Brady has had awful games. With Zack there is a whole lot of ugly so far

Do you remember when a reporter asked Belichick if he was thinking of benching Brady for Garropolo in 2014 after the Pats took a drubbing from the Alex Smith led Chiefs on MNF? Belichick's reaction was priceless.

Oh, and the Pats won the SB (again) in 2014.

4 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

They know he is going to make mistakes but I also think they don't want to put a short leash on him either and have him checking down every pass play either. You could tell he has the physical tools and made some good throws also. What has to stop is the God awful throws to guys being double and triple covered. I hope he will learn in time when to be boring and to take what the defense gives him. 

Correct. I think the milk and cookies thing could have a big impact on him.

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, jgb said:

Film junkie. Lol.

image.thumb.png.55eb0ef73fc888bebca4049940b3276f.png

---

image.png.9b6568051530f4da2a4ccb1463913c08.png

---

image.png.5aebdcc6c91b22bc79cfc3e508535125.png

Maybe we can put a bullet in the “film junkie” fluffery once and for all, now:

“He’s a relentless worker. And I mean this, there’s guys who watch film, and then there’s guys that watch film almost religiously, and he’s one of those guys. He’s constantly trying to find ways to absorb information and learn. He’s wearing out the quarterback coach with film study. He’s relentless in that regard. His mental horsepower is off the charts.”

-Robert Saleh on BYU

• Post of the Week 1

I mean, to be fair... Zach might really study hard and watch a ton of film and ask his coaches a ton of questions. His problem is just his accuracy, his foot work, his motion, his inability to read defenses, not seeing open receivers, under/over throwing everyone, having a mom who talks too much publicly, and thats it! 

• Haha 3