Jump to content

Recommended Posts

One of the following is true

either he really sucks and Joe is a terrible judge of talent

or

the coaching staff is clueless because they are not playing a “skilled “high draft pick year two at a position of need

 

 

  • Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or he's talented but can't learn the playbook or lacks motivation to improve.  It happens all the time.

One of the following is true either he really sucks and Joe is a terrible judge of talent or the coaching staff is clueless because they are not playing a “skilled “high draft pick year

The idea that Denzel Mims is the hill so many people on this board are choosing to die on is laughable. If I cared enough, I could probably go back about 3 months on this board and find 90% of th

There’s a reason why Robbie wasn’t offered really big money by Carolina.  It could be the same with Mims.  It sounds like he’s in the coaches doghouse for some reason and it’s possible he’s just not the receiver they want him to be.  And let’s not forget that Mims wouldn’t have changed the outcome one bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Or he's talented but can't learn the playbook or lacks motivation to improve.  It happens all the time.

So he sucks then because he is lazy and unmotivated 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

So he sucks then because he is lazy and unmotivated 

I would just argue that wouldn't necessarily be a "terrible judge of talent".

Everyone here seems to be able to make iron clad judgements how he is the second coming of megatron or whatever, I think we can all see the physical gifts.

Sometimes when these kids get those big paychecks they lose motivation to take their game to the next level.  This is a story we've seen time and time again.  It's not like he's been cut, and this is the NFL where people are going to get injured.

He is going to get on the field at some point this season and we'll see.  Even if he starts making plays it still isn't indicative of where he stands right at this moment.  But that won't matter, because from our armchairs, we know best.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

he's obviously got athletic talent.  this falls on both coaches and Mims.  they need more weapons for zach - coaches should be getting him on the field for set plays/routes and mims needs to be learning the playbook - if that's what the problem is.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, heymangold said:

he's obviously got athletic talent.  this falls on both coaches and Mims.  they need more weapons for zach - coaches should be getting him on the field for set plays/routes and mims needs to be learning the playbook - if that's what the problem is.

He is beyond talented. He's elite even compared to the elite world of NFL players. Which makes his failure to dress even more damning. He was born on third base in the athleticism department. It has to be an issue upstairs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, heymangold said:

he's obviously got athletic talent.  this falls on both coaches and Mims.  they need more weapons for zach - coaches should be getting him on the field for set plays/routes and mims needs to be learning the playbook - if that's what the problem is.

bingo.  he doesn't need to learn the x, y or z positions.  let him learn 1 and become a master at it.  yesterday cole was active and I don't remember if he was even targeted once.  the problem is davis was the only receiver to game plan around and the patsies took him away.  no-one else stepped up.  mims would have been perfect to send out there to pull coverage away from the others even as a decoy.  there's no way cole , smith and berrios are better than mims.  I don't know something is not right.  the kid got talent we seen glimpses of it last year and last week a 40-yarder.  not sure what is going on behind the seens.  I can see this kid going somewhere else and becoming Robbie part 2

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They are going to trade him for a position they feel they need help at. Maybe an edge rusher or something. I'm calling it right now. The coaching staff is over him.

trade him to the browns they need a wr right now 

Joe screwed his draft something awful -send him packing now while there is still some value

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

Or he's talented but can't learn the playbook or lacks motivation to improve.  It happens all the time.

I agree, however. The first question of any interview should be either "Does the kid work hard?" or "Does the kid have a brain?".  The second question should be the one that wasnt asked first.  Follow it up with "Does the kid love playing the game?"

You are only interviewing one of their coaches because you already saw enough in tape.

It is unfortunate that players are drafter that either think their sh*t don't stink or their talent is enough, are just in for the money, or are just plain dumb.

That should be easy to weed out, but obviously it not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

Or he's talented but can't learn the playbook or lacks motivation to improve.  It happens all the time.

didn't the coaches press conference after the game basically come out and say this.

they will not give him a spot just based on draft status. 

my guess is he's activated starting week 4

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeerPark said:

bingo.  he doesn't need to learn the x, y or z positions.  let him learn 1 and become a master at it.  yesterday cole was active and I don't remember if he was even targeted once.  the problem is davis was the only receiver to game plan around and the patsies took him away.  no-one else stepped up.  mims would have been perfect to send out there to pull coverage away from the others even as a decoy.  there's no way cole , smith and berrios are better than mims.  I don't know something is not right.  the kid got talent we seen glimpses of it last year and last week a 40-yarder.  not sure what is going on behind the seens.  I can see this kid going somewhere else and becoming Robbie part 2

i am disappointed in the coaching staff.  you know NE was going to take away your strength.  it's what they do.   they should have had a ton of plays for folks beside Davis.

i think Mims should play but the 40 yarder wasn't anything special.  and i think he should have scored.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what I've read it seems the CS is trying to coach him up and there is resistance coming from him plus he's not running his routes accurately. And that can screw up the entire offense. So maybe they are just doing their job and trying to get the guy to be a good player. We know he has talent we saw that week 1. But one catch does not make him a good player. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They are going to trade him for a position they feel they need help at. Maybe an edge rusher or something. I'm calling it right now. The coaching staff is over him.

I'm actually starting to agree with this.  2 + 2 is not adding up to 4 here.  I'm over this "he can't learn the route tree" silliness.  There's something deeper going on which isn't leaking out of the building.  I think JD is going to try and move him.  JMO...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to understand why this has been an issue this season but we heard nothing about any of these behaviors/characteristics about Mims last season.  Just weird.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I just want to understand why this has been an issue this season but we heard nothing about any of these behaviors/characteristics about Mims last season.  Just weird.  

Because the whole team sucked and Gase was lost for 2 years.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I just want to understand why this has been an issue this season but we heard nothing about any of these behaviors/characteristics about Mims last season.  Just weird.  

There were definitely some red flags last year with slow injury recovery and then when he came back he wasn't exactly used as much as you would expect given the fact the Jets had nothing to lose late in the year. 

Douglas knowing all of that decided to go out and sign Corey Davis and draft Moore early. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I just want to understand why this has been an issue this season but we heard nothing about any of these behaviors/characteristics about Mims last season.  Just weird.  

Gase had a different standard (or no standards whatsoever). This new coaching staff wants Mims to work harder and study more. It appears that Mims is making progress - hopefully soon. Either way - if we want a team full of team players and players that give 100% they need to take a hard line - maybe Mims makes it, maybe he doesn't. Not sure why the CS would sacrifice wins/Zack's progress over a dog house issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mims is more talented then nearly all those JAGS ahead of him and anyone with eyes can see this, so what does Saleh and the Jets do?
 

Speak up the JAGs in front of him and destroy him for “not being better than the players above him on the depth chart”.

The irony is you’d think the NYJ would have mims on the field more because play style of both Zach and mims should = highlight heaven. 
 

Our young OC is in over his head and to think the nyj didn’t want Saleh without him being included in the package 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

From the article..."Starting cornerback Bryce Hall was the only 2020 draft pick to compete Sunday. Four members of the class are on injured reserve: Mekhi Becton, Ashtyn Davis, Cameron Clark and Braden Mann. La’Mical Perine joined Mims as a healthy scratch."

Add James Morgan who was cut as I had predicted months ago would happen and it's on JD...the coaching staff should be told by Woody to activate Mims forthwith and make sure he plays significant time.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught a little bit of the post game replay and bart Scott made an interesting comment. Do all of the receivers that were active yesterday clearly understand all 4 wr positions/routes? Seems unlikely. It just seems like mims is a personal issue than ability. Whatever that is, I am not sure we will know

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea that Denzel Mims is the hill so many people on this board are choosing to die on is laughable.

If I cared enough, I could probably go back about 3 months on this board and find 90% of the Mimzy's here proclaiming he was a bust and a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Now all of a sudden he's the Prince That was Promised and the answer to all the Jets problems?

I hate the internet.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

From the article..."Starting cornerback Bryce Hall was the only 2020 draft pick to compete Sunday. Four members of the class are on injured reserve: Mekhi Becton, Ashtyn Davis, Cameron Clark and Braden Mann. La’Mical Perine joined Mims as a healthy scratch."

Add James Morgan who was cut as I had predicted months ago would happen and it's on JD...the coaching staff should be told by Woody to activate Mims forthwith and make sure he plays significant time.  

While the Mims situation is frustrating, I'd like the Johnson Brothers telling nobody on the coaching staff a damn thing. I want them to keep their mouths shut and let this front office and coaching staff sink or swim on their own merits.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...