The “rebuild” isn’t working

kevinc855

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

You didn't bring us up in your post, so why would I?

You said the other teams I mentioned had middling records so they don’t count. Which makes no sense considering the Jets had a middling record just a year and a half ago.

In other words, you’re moving the goalposts to wherever fits your argument.

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am sticking with my story-if the Jets are not competitive at the end of next year, or in the playoffs (or very close to it) in 2023, the GM and Coach should go, probably together.   The GM is in charge of everything, including coaching.  So they may need some adjustments.  I would expect another senior well-paid offensive coach this off season to replace Knapp (who was a good idea, but you can’t plan for tragedy). 

JD spent the first 1.5 years finding his way getting bad or no input from the coaches.

In 2021, Saleh and Ulbrich gave JD some good feedback and appear to have drafted and sign players to fit a scheme, and after 2 weeks the defense looks decent.  I don’t think it will finish top 10, but hopefully top 16.  

JD started out following the Mac plan of cheap coached up OL, and it did not appear to work.   Becton got derailed in the offseason.  JD traded up for a LG who could start right away, and he looked decent last week.  He signed Moses.  He rolled the dice on Clark and Lewis for RG and it backfired.   We thought he was carrying too many resources at WR, signing Cole and keeping Crowder, and that now looks smart.  He drafted a WR and RB that people liked.  

So 2022 is the year.  So JD should offer Moses and Maye decent extensions, with the one who does not accept getting franchised.   He needs to overpay players, like the Panthers did Robby, so the Jets can be decent next year.  That is the game, not cap optimization.  

I am not going to waste time and energy thinking about how JD should get fired now.  If JD has not built a much better team by the end of next year, fire him.  

I think this a pretty reasonable approach. We all know he is not getting fired at the end of this year BUT many are making an urgent plea to rethink some of his approach. 

I find it hard he keeps Maye, his stthick has to be let guys walk and replace them with 1 year value guys with "potential". Hasnt been working. We are going to need to keep some solid pieces from this year and go get some players in FA. With all the draft capital I think he has to spend it and move up. Grab 3 1st rounders. Have have have to HIT on those picks. Yes, durability matters, ensure these guys arent injury prone in college as well. 

After 3 losing seasons (im including this one) I dont think he can have a 4th. Even the most patient folks will need some results. 

A huge piece of his fate of course as well is tied to Zach. If Zach settles down and plays well, that bodes well for him, if he continues to throw a pick every other play it doesnt. 

Finally, he has failed on the Oline. He has to fix that. HAS TO for Zachs year 2. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Facts said:

You said the other teams I mentioned had middling records so they don’t count. Which makes no sense considering the Jets had a middling record just a year and a half ago.

In other words, you’re moving the goalposts to wherever fits your argument.

I brought up the fact that the teams you mentioned have never been "bottom feeding teams". You were using them as the argument that they've turned around from sh*t to great in a year. They've not been as sh*t as we have. 

If we want to use that logic anyway irrespective of how much it doesn't compare to our situation, we were sh*t in 2018 (4-12) and then turned it around in 1 year like your other teams did to get to 7-9 in 2019. Then we're sh*t again in 2020 (2-14). So if we win 7 or 8 games this year does that mean we're exactly the same as everyone else and your original point is pointless?

58 minutes ago, British Jet said:

I brought up the fact that the teams you mentioned have never been "bottom feeding teams". You were using them as the argument that they've turned around from sh*t to great in a year. They've not been as sh*t as we have. 

If we want to use that logic anyway irrespective of how much it doesn't compare to our situation, we were sh*t in 2018 (4-12) and then turned it around in 1 year like your other teams did to get to 7-9 in 2019. Then we're sh*t again in 2020 (2-14). So if we win 7 or 8 games this year does that mean we're exactly the same as everyone else and your original point is pointless?

Except it does compare to our situation because we were 7-9 just a year and a half ago. It happened. You can’t take that away. IF they’re not bottom feeders during their middling years, then neither are we.

• Upvote 2

I mean if we are being honest the defensive side of the team has been playing better than expected and who actually expected the team to compete this year? We have a rookie QB and a rookie head coach things do take time to develop let's give it a few more games before we throw in the towel and hope we bounce back and show some kind of promise on the offensive side of the ball when we actually have our recievers and left tackle available to us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Plus 1. A lot of folks seemed to like their idea of playing young guys. [mention=9819]GREENBEAN[/mention] said “imagine that” play the guys we draft like it was smart. It ain’t smart. 

There is a reason some of these guys were taken late or not taken 

I maintain that it’s smart. It’s just not going to net you the immediate results many fans depend on for weekly happiness.
I’m thrilled our gm and coaching staff have chosen to build through the draft and develop guys themselves.
Ifyou prefer the old way of trying to buy your way to greatness you might want to check out the pats. That’s their new way for 2021

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

What’s the plan?! Seriously been asking this for 3 years with ridicule till the last few weeks people started taking notice.
We have stripped this team of any talent at all justifying it with “draft capital” Well how’s that  working out for us? 

We have gutted all veteran talent with trades or cuts for “cap space” Well how’s that working for us?
We decided to throw a QB on an NFL field without a real oline and zero mentorship with a veteran. Well how’s that work out for us?
This “rebuild” is failing. The boo birds were out in game 1 of 9 home games. The Jets cannot continue to put garbage on the field and get a pass yet again how some “rebuild” plan we never see the results from. 

I seriously don’t know or understand the “rebuild” 

Lol 3 years? You are aware that we literally have an entirely different batch of humans on the staff right?
Oh Maybe you mean joe Douglas?
.., He’s been here for 2
You’re including the tear down as the rebuild.
The OL is fine by the way. Gave up 2 sacks the last2 games. You’re just gonna have to give it more than a few weeks.
If you can’t see the plan then no one can get through to you I’m sure,but it looks pretty good to me man. Keep the faith brother man

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, kevinc855 said:

What’s the plan?! Seriously been asking this for 3 years with ridicule till the last few weeks people started taking notice.

We have stripped this team of any talent at all justifying it with “draft capital” Well how’s that  working out for us? 

We have gutted all veteran talent with trades or cuts for “cap space” Well how’s that working for us?

We decided to throw a QB on an NFL field without a real oline and zero mentorship with a veteran. Well how’s that work out for us?

This “rebuild” is failing. The boo birds were out in game 1 of 9 home games. The Jets cannot continue to put garbage on the field and get a pass yet again how some “rebuild” plan we never see the results from. 

I seriously don’t know or understand the “rebuild” 

Was this posted this year?

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Lol 3 years? You are aware that we literally have an entirely different batch of humans on the staff right?
.., He’s been here for 2
The OL is fine by the way. Gave up 2 sacks the last2 games. You’re just gonna have to give it more than a few weeks.
If you can’t see the plan then no one can get through to you I’m sure,but it looks pretty good to me man. Keep the faith brother man

hey pal i am in the middle of watching your video on JD. #42. good stuff pal.

you should post that here. there is alot of us who probably would enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

.., He’s been here for 2

3 seasons under his belt like his contract legally says. Take out the 2019 year he’s even worse. 3-18.

im with you on letting the next 12 games play out but we gotta get better the CFL type team we look like 

Let me educate you little kevvy.... First off I understand your frustration, however this is year one theoretically. New HC, OC, DC, QB, and last and this years draft. Last years draft was for a completely different coach, not named Saleh. This year's draft is for Saleh. I get you want instant gratification, but let me remind you Rome wasn't built in a day. There's no sense spending a ton of money on FA's when the foundation hasn't even been built yet. The defensive line should be solid for the next few years. AVT was a good start in this draft, and hopefully Becton can straighten out and become what we all believed when he was drafted. Fant and Moses are playable, and were decent signings by JD. He's signed a few clunkers and I'll agree with that. The young kids on defense have been playing better than expected. Pro Bowl, no but better than expected for late rounders. You should calm down and give this a chance. If after this offseason, and next years draft we aren't much better in year 2 of this regime, then I'll give you every right to bitch and moan. Just remember one thing, that FA's don't want to come here because of this team. Once that starts getting better, I would hope that JD is more aggressive than he has been.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:03 PM, kevinc855 said:

3 seasons under his belt like his contract legally says. Take out the 2019 year he’s even worse. 3-18.

im with you on letting the next 12 games play out but we gotta get better the CFL type team we look like 

He's been here 2 years. Try and spin it anyway you'd like.

If you can't see it then I can't help you.  Whining about what our record is during what's been happening is the lowest hanging and easiest to grab pear on the branch.  Now, I'm not convinced this coaching staff knows what they are doing and that would be on JD but there is no question that our player removal and acquisition of assets have been the best we've ever seen. If you want to gripe in the wrong place no one is gonna stop you, but again its not hard to see. 

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

He's been here 2 years. Try and spin it anyway you'd like.

If you can't see it then I can't help you.  Whining about what our record is during what's been happening is the lowest hanging and easiest to grab pear on the branch.  Now, I'm not convinced this coaching staff knows what they are doing and that would be on JD but there is no question that our player removal and acquisition of assets have been the best we've ever seen. If you want to gripe in the wrong place no one is gonna stop you, but again its not hard to see. 

3 years. Do we wipe away the Mack deal for 10 million in 2019? Or the kicker debacle we had all year. He didn’t draft in 2019 but he came in the building in May of 2019. Anything to say different is pure fiction.

Idzik also got us a lot of picks. Picks don’t mean anything unless you execute on them.

If being a good GM to you is all about contract structure and asset in draft, you have to ask when does that produce wins on the field. That’s all this league is about in the end…winning or losing football games.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, Facts said:

Except it does compare to our situation because we were 7-9 just a year and a half ago. It happened. You can’t take that away. IF they’re not bottom feeders during their middling years, then neither are we.

Yeah that’s the thing.  We were 7-9 just 2 years ago and probably make the playoffs if Sam doesn’t get mono

Yet we are supposed to be excited about 1-16 after 2-14

• Upvote 1