The “rebuild” isn’t working

kevinc855

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The GM is a great negotiator and a lousy player-picker. 

Can we ever put something in context? While we agree that his 2020 draft was a sh*tshow, it was also for a different head coach and system. Douglas makes the pick, but he is choosing from scheme fits, and not a complete pool of players. 

His 2021 draft is looking good, and can become great over time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The defense has been beaten by 2 not so good teams and the worst QB in the NFL last season and a rookie this season.

Did the defense throw 5 interceptions in two games? If they did, everyone on the defense should be fired. The defense did their job, the offense sh*t the bed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Did the defense throw 5 interceptions in two games? If they did, everyone on the defense should be fired. The defense did their job, the offense sh*t the bed. 

They didn't do their job football is a TEAM sport. 

They allowed CMC and Darnold to sh*t all over them. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Again the Jets were a stop away from giving the offense a chance to win. I do appreciate your conviction. Keep it up!

The idea was for Rhule to let the Jets kill the clock on themselves and it was successful.  I do appreciate your false optimism, but if the Jets offense truly turned a corner in the second half of Game 1 you would have seen that in the first half of Game 2.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The defense is already better than expected. I've seen plenty of flashes there.

We got blown out in back to back games so its hard for me to hand out trophies.  The reason they look better than expected is because your expectations are so low.  

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Are we going to pretend that Zach didn't march the Jets down the field twice against the Panthers? That counts as a flash.

That flash is easily explained by soft coverage with a 16 point lead and Rhule killing the clock.  To date, Zach Wilson has looked good against preseason backups and regular season prevent defenses.  I am starting to get very worried.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

They didn't do their job football is a TEAM sport. 

They allowed CMC and Darnold to sh*t all over them. 

Agreed. The offense didn't do their part, and that is why we lost. You can't win games with only the defense doing their part. 19 points. NINETEEN. Two touchdowns and two field goal beats that. Three touchdowns also beats that. If the offense can't score 20 points, this team is not going to win many games. It's a team game, and the offense is not helping the team.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

So let's say that Michael Carter II goes off and becomes a really solid corner, gets selected as a Pro Bowl alternate.  Now it's his 3rd year and the Jets are still several years away from being a contender and he is owed a massive contract.  So we should trade him instead of paying him, right?

Eventually we have to pay our best players.  We suffered so we could draft Jamal in the first round.  We struggled and invested our time in watching young players like him and Darnold and Williams develop.  When does it stop?  When do we decide to pay our own?  We're on a constant state of rebuild because we dump our best players and replace them with Alpo.  Do they still make Alpo?  I don't own a dog.

SAR I

Of course not. Unless he acts like an ass like Jamal and shoots his way out of town. Leo didn’t do shit till his contract year. Plus corners are a valued position, box safety and fat D lineman are not, if they Jets learned anything it’s don’t draft fat D lineman high and don’t give them second contracts. 

Sam Darnold was worst rated QB in the league  while he was here. I missed the part we’re he developed. Leo did nothing till his contract year with the Giants,  missed his development too. My bad 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Can we ever put something in context?

OMG, like everyone put things in "context" when Adam Gase opened 1-7 with 16 players on IR and a third string quarterback giving way to a guy recovering from mononucleosis.  We are going to be consistent here.  We are going to treat everyone the same here.  We are not going to be hypocrites here.

While we agree that his 2020 draft was a sh*tshow, it was also for a different head coach and system.

Blame Adam Gase!  When we're still the worst team in the NFL on the eve of Joe Douglas' firing they'll still be blaming that guy.  Unbelievable.

His 2021 draft is looking good, and can become great over time. 

Sure, if you believe preseason hype by NY sportswriters.  Moore was supposed to be the second coming of OBJ, remember?  He does things they had never seen, remember?  AVT was going to be a brick wall, remember?

And let's not just talk about "his" drafts.  Joe Douglas made the decision to keep Quinnen Williams, remember?  Even signed his baby brother.  And he sucks.  This is Joe Douglas' team and we look worse than the 2-14 sh't show from last season.  I'm not spending another year rooting for draft success that never comes.  Wins now or get him out of here.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Who knows, he may have flourished under Saleh.  He was our entire pass rush.  He would have helped.

We can nitpick every reason why Jamal, Robbie, and Leo would have hurt us with contracts, but in reality we could have afforded them because what we got in the form of draft capital and cap space amounted to nothing.  Hindsight at this stage shows that keeping the guys Joe Douglas walked out the door would have made this team better, and that's starting to feel like it includes Sam Darnold who looks pretty good in a new system with a new OC.

SAR I

I know. He was hell bent on getting out of here. You know too, I know you do 

Leo will never sniff another solid season until his next contracted is up. That’s not nitpicking that’s paying attention. 

Jamal is a box safety that wants to get paid like a pass rusher and he did. He’s off to a slow start sacks this year. Those two were suck costs, maybe we are 1-1 right now, but just because you want to feel better about this team right now doesn’t mean anyone we got rid of is going to do much. 

Robbie was a mistake. Loved that kid, Joe screwed the pooch on that one. You get that one, the other two. NO!!

None of those players except Rob and possibly Sam would have matter. I still need to see Sam play a team that can put up points and for e him to come from behind. If he dies I’ll join you in that one. But Leo and JAMAL? Never!! Those were addition by subtraction. Period! 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

They let the legendary Sam Darnold go yard on them and then let a rookie quarterback eat them for lunch.  Hardly the Saleh D we were expecting.

The season's not over.  They have 15 games left to win the required 8.  Let's see what happens.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We got blown out in back to back games so its hard for me to hand out trophies.

19 and 25 points. Not exactly blow outs. 5 interceptions in two games. The defense is not the problem. They are playing well by my standards and NFL standards. My expectations are irrelevant to how well they are playing. JD did a good job putting together this defense. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

OMG, like everyone put things in "context" when Adam Gase opened 1-7 with 16 players on IR and a third string quarterback giving way to a guy recovering from mononucleosis.  We are going to be consistent here.  We are going to treat everyone the same here.  We are not going to be hypocrites here.

Adam Gase is a bad head coach AND he was given a bad team. There is your context.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Of course not. Unless he acts like an ass like Jamal and shoots his way out of town. Leo didn’t do sh*t till his contract year. Plus corners are a valued position, box safety and fat D lineman are not, if they Jets learned anything it’s don’t draft fat D lineman high and don’t give them second contracts. 

Sam Darnold was worst rated QB in the league  while he was here. I missed the part we’re he developed. Leo did nothing till his contract year with the Giants,  missed his development too. My bad 

Jamal wasn't a Safety.  He was our entire pass rush.  Whatever Leo did the moment he left Florham Park got him into the Pro Bowl.  Sam is going to be 3-0 in a few hours and Robbie lit us up like a match.  Osemele and Beachum might have helped our porous OL.  These guys were proven players.  None of us would miss them if we had superior replacements.  Oops.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We got blown out in back to back games so its hard for me to hand out trophies.  The reason they look better than expected is because your expectations are so low.  

SAR I

The Defense under Gase last year was ranked 26th in Points Allowed and 24th in Yards Allowed

Thru 2 Games, both losses with a very weak Offense and many turnovers, the Jets D is ranked 10th in Points Allowed and 9th in Yards Allowed.

No opinions required, so far, the Defense has been better than last year.   

Plenty of time for it to materially decline or improve, of course.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

They let the legendary Sam Darnold go yard on them and then let a rookie quarterback eat them for lunch.  Hardly the Saleh D we were expecting.

The season's not over.  They have 15 games left to win the required 8.  Let's see what happens.

SAR I

A back up practice squad safety got beat. It's official, Sam Darnold is a hall of famer. 

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Adam Gase is a bad head coach AND he was given a bad team. There is your context.

Right, so let's walk through the logic together:

Robert Saleh is supposed to be a good head coach AND he was given a team rebuilt and hand-selected by Joe Douglas.

So why does Robert Saleh look no better than Adam Gase?  Why do the 2021 Douglas Jets look worse than the 2019 Maccagnan Jets?

"It's the rebuild!  It's the rebuild!  It's the rebuild!"

No, it's just sh-tty players brought here by a sh-tty general manager.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jamal wasn't a Safety.  He was our entire pass rush.  Whatever Leo did the moment he left Florham Park got him into the Pro Bowl.  Sam is going to be 3-0 in a few hours and Robbie lit us up like a match.  Osemele and Beachum might have helped our porous OL.  These guys were proven players.  None of us would miss them if we had superior replacements.  Oops.

SAR I

sorry but 1 catch for 57 yards as a td while wide open is not exactly being lit up. You want to say that about Mcaffrey, I will agree.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A back up practice squad safety got beat. It's official, Sam Darnold is a hall of famer. 

Is Robert Saleh a great defensive mind or just a rah-rah pom-pom cheerleader?  Because I thought he was scheming to where the NFL is going.  I thought, silly me, that getting rid of The Worst Head Coach Of All Time was going to be such a breath of fresh air that all the returning players and all the new players were just going to magically perform like legitimate NFL talent.  

If we had a veteran safety, I don't know, maybe a playmaker that liked it here and went to the Pro Bowl, maybe that Robbie TD never happens, maybe Sam Darnold takes a shot to the mouth and leaves the game, maybe that mystery safety had a knack for disrupting pass plays.

I'm no Sam Darnold fan.  But until Zach Wilson shows me something, Sam is in the pile of players that The Worst Player Picker Of All Time jettisoned unnecessarily.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Blame Adam Gase!

We will. Thanks for reminding us how bad Adam Gase was. 

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure, if you believe preseason hype by NY sportswriters.  Moore was supposed to be the second coming of OBJ, remember?  He does things they had never seen, remember?  AVT was going to be a brick wall, remember?

Now you're just trolling.  You haven't watched any games, have you? 

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And let's not just talk about "his" drafts.  Joe Douglas made the decision to keep Quinnen Williams, remember? 

Another good move by JD. Thanks for reminding me.

Robert Saleh is supposed to be a good head coach AND he was given a team rebuilt and hand-selected by Joe Douglas.

Yes. Thanks for reminding me. 

So why does Robert Saleh look no better than Adam Gase?

Robert Saleh already looks better than Adam Gase. 

Why do the 2021 Douglas Jets look worse than the 2019 Maccagnan Jets?

It doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Worst QB in the NFL in 2020 beat the 2021 NY Jets. 

In a game where the Jets had a chance to prove to the league that they were no longer a joke, that getting rid of Sam was the right decision, and to coronate their new head coach, they no-showed, laid an egg, looked completely frightened, were completely unprepared.

But let's just relax, man.  Let's just chill.  You know, because we're not trying to win.  We're just trying to "get better".  Like when my daughter tells me that her grade moved from an F to a D, we're supposed to go running to Dairy Queen and celebrate.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It’s called a contract year. We’ve seen before. Now he has 4 tackles in two games. Let’s see how the season go’s. 

Robbie caught one pass for a touchdown against us on a blown coverage. Lit us up? Haha , you say crazy!

Sam may go 3-0 and that’s more of a function of who he is playing. I’m not sure he has played from behind this this year. I want to see him bring his team back when the defense knows he’s passing.  Hey, maybe he’s gonna be great, but he’s got some more work to do. 

Osmele and Beachum could have help sure, but our O line got better from week 1 to week 2. We lost because of Zach Sunday. Line stepped up. 

I think AVT and Moses will prove improvements over both of them. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok and we lost and looked bad doing so. 

What improvements?  What players excelled in the loss?  What changed from last year? 

Were you delusional enough to think that this team was going to gel in two weeks? A rookie HC, rookie OC, and rookie QB playing with his receivers for the first time. 

Two weeks. What the hell were you expecting?

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Were you delusional enough to think that this team was going to gel in two weeks? A rookie HC, rookie OC, and rookie QB playing with his receivers for the first time. 

Two weeks. What the hell were you expecting?

We lost 2 games to equally talented teams right according to you the NY Jets are loaded with talent. 

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Leonard Williams
Jamal Adams
Robbie Anderson
Kelechi Osemele
Avery Williamson
Steve McLendon
Sam Darnold

They played for the worst head coach in the history of the NFL, remember?

SAR I

Some times I start to take you seriously, but it can't be done. 

Your list of 6 really good players is actually a list of 7 players, one of whom is a street free agent that we had in for a Tuesday try-out last week.  Another is a G that people think is still good because he is penciled in as a starter on the Chiefs.  Never mind the fact that he has only played 5 games since he left the Jets, including zero snaps in 2021.   

In exchange for those guys and a 2021 3rd (Kellen Mond), 2022 4th and 7th, the Jet received a 3rd (Ashtyn Davis)  a 5th (Michael Carter II).  AVT,  Bradley McDougald, Pinnock, Echols, Marshall, a 2022 1st (Seahawks), 2022 2nd (Darnold), 2022 4th (Panthers), 2022 5th (Steelers).  They also got a 6th from the Bucs for McLendon.  They traded Herndon and a 6th for a 4th (Vikings). I'm not sure if that is the Jets or the Bucs 6th. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Keeping your own players is a good point. 

I would say, right now, of the players on the roster not under contract next year, JD should use 2021 cap space  and his bargaining position to extend Moses, Maye and Foley.  Maybe JFM if he is not under contract.   We can’t expect to replace 20+ players every year.