The “rebuild” isn’t working

kevinc855

On 9/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, kevinc855 said:

A halfway competitive football team. To much to ask?

Yes, when youre in a total rebuild, have gutted the team to start over, you dont ask for wins.  

We lost by five in game one, were in the game for second half.  Sounds like like what youre asking for

On 9/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, kevinc855 said:

A halfway competitive football team. To much to ask?

Yes, when youre in a total rebuild, have gutted the team to start over, you dont ask for wins.  

We lost by five in game one, were in the game for second half.  Sounds like like what youre asking for

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s called a contract year. We’ve seen before. Now he has 4 tackles in two games. Let’s see how the season go’s. 

Robbie caught one pass for a touchdown against us on a blown coverage. Lit us up? Haha , you say crazy!

Sam may go 3-0 and that’s more of a function of who he is playing. I’m not sure he has played from behind this this year. I want to see him bring his team back when the defense knows he’s passing.  Hey, maybe he’s gonna be great, but he’s got some more work to do. 

Osmele and Beachum could have help sure, but our O line got better from week 1 to week 2. We lost because of Zach Sunday. Line stepped up. 

I think AVT and Moses will prove improvements over both of them. 

I'm going to grab a Bud Light Seltzer, turn on Yacht Rock Radio, pregame for TNF, and let this Jets stuff wash right through me.

SAR I

On 9/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, kevinc855 said:

He had full control of the roster after and made such bright moves like Mack 10 million dollars to never play center. He was here for 2019. Stop pretending different 

He tried desperately to find lightning in a bottle when Macc left the team without a C and JD took over after FA and the draft.  Stop repeating this same story, its meaningless, signing Mack as a desperation move didnt hinder the team to make moves

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Is Robert Saleh a great defensive mind or just a rah-rah pom-pom cheerleader?  Because I thought he was scheming to where the NFL is going.  I thought, silly me, that getting rid of The Worst Head Coach Of All Time was going to be such a breath of fresh air that all the returning players and all the new players were just going to magically perform like legitimate NFL talent.  

If we had a veteran safety, I don't know, maybe a playmaker that liked it here and went to the Pro Bowl, maybe that Robbie TD never happens, maybe Sam Darnold takes a shot to the mouth and leaves the game, maybe that mystery safety had a knack for disrupting pass plays.

I'm no Sam Darnold fan.  But until Zach Wilson shows me something, Sam is in the pile of players that The Worst Player Picker Of All Time jettisoned unnecessarily.

SAR I

What do you want to do?  You just keep ranting. What is your plan?  Fire Douglas and Saleh now?  What happens if the Jets don't win  "your" expected 8 games?  What then?  Start over?  You come in, tell everybody everything sucks and then you leave.  What is your solution to the problems you so readily point out?  Let's hear it.

51 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What do you want to do?  You just keep ranting. What is your plan?  Fire Douglas and Saleh now?  What happens if the Jets don't win  "your" expected 8 games?  What then?  Start over?  You come in, tell everybody everything sucks and then you leave.  What is your solution to the problems you so readily point out?  Let's hear it.

Step 1, start a search immediately for our next general manager.

Step 2, don’t let Douglas trade anybody.

Step 3, don’t let Douglas sign anybody. 

Step 4, if we have another miserable 2 win season this will limit any further damage and have us prepared to get a top GM candidate the minute we announce his termination.

This has nothing to do with Robert Saleh who seems to be a good coaching prospect in a bad situation.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Step 4, if we have another miserable 2 win season this will limit any further damage and have us prepared to get a top GM candidate the minute we announce his termination.

This has nothing to do with Robert Saleh who seems to be a good coaching prospect in a bad situation.

SAR I

So I understand, do you mean start a search for the GM right now?  Or if the Jets don't win 8 games?  

He had full control of the roster after and made such bright moves like Mack 10 million dollars to never play center. He was here for 2019. Stop pretending different 

He tried desperately to find lightning in a bottle when Macc left the team without a C and JD took over after FA and the draft.  Stop repeating this same story, its meaningless, signing Mack as a desperation move didnt hinder the team to make moves

On 9/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, kevinc855 said:

What’s the plan?! Seriously been asking this for 3 years with ridicule till the last few weeks people started taking notice.

We have stripped this team of any talent at all justifying it with “draft capital” Well how’s that  working out for us? 

We have gutted all veteran talent with trades or cuts for “cap space” Well how’s that working for us?

We decided to throw a QB on an NFL field without a real oline and zero mentorship with a veteran. Well how’s that work out for us?

This “rebuild” is failing. The boo birds were out in game 1 of 9 home games. The Jets cannot continue to put garbage on the field and get a pass yet again how some “rebuild” plan we never see the results from. 

I seriously don’t know or understand the “rebuild” 

Dude, it's two games.

Take a breath.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ask a stupid question...

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

• Haha 1

For better or worse the rebuild has only just begun. I think the Johnsons are looking at it like (latest) rebuild began with the hiring of Saleh. It's Saleh-Douglas, 1.0. And this be their first offseason together.

Sigh. None of us are holding our breaths. JD's 2021 draft better show up big this season. RB Mike Carter looked good Sunday.

27 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

*acknowledges how bad we are going to be and how it’s going to be a slow painful rebuild*

*hands the franchise to a BYU QB with practically the same roster as last year and doesn’t even bother to roster a QB with any type of NFL game experience*

The Jets

What does this even mean?

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

@Jet Nut showing up and commenting on 15 of my posts like a troll is a bad look

Actually that you have 15 mindless posts saying the same thing over and over again, completely wrong each time is the bad look.  The constant bitching about JD, while being wrong is actually trolling

Not someone pointing out how wrong you are.  

On 9/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

This is a legitimate question for anyone who wants to answer.  What do you think is a reasonable time frame is for a bottom feeding team to turnaround their fortunes and be a respectable competitive group week in and week out?  

Rams did it in 1 year. Bills did it in 1 year. Dolphins did it in 2 years. Cardinals did it in 2 years.

12 minutes ago, Facts said:

Rams did it in 1 year. Bills did it in 1 year. Dolphins did it in 2 years. Cardinals did it in 2 years.

Hold on a minute. When were the Bills a "bottom feeding team"? They've had at least 6 wins since 2011?

Before the Cardinals won 3 games in 2018 they'd gone 10-6, 11-5, 13-3, 7-8-1, and 8-8 in the proceeding seasons.

For someone called "Facts", you're comparing apples to oranges mate.

20 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Hold on a minute. When were the Bills a "bottom feeding team"? They've had at least 6 wins since 2011?

Before the Cardinals won 3 games in 2018 they'd gone 10-6, 11-5, 13-3, 7-8-1, and 8-8 in the proceeding seasons.

For someone called "Facts", you're comparing apples to oranges mate.

We went 7-9 just a year and a half ago. Or have you forgotten already?

37 minutes ago, Facts said:

and panthers about to do it in one year....NFL rebuilds dont take 3-4 years. People like that are thinking 1990s NFL

Only here in Jet land does it take that long

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Facts said:

The Rams went 13 years in between playoff appearances.  Drafted Donald in 14, Gurley 15 and didn’t make the playoffs until 17.  They didn’t do it in one year.  

The Bills missed the playoffs for straight seasons. Their build to this current roster started in earnest in 2017 but they were a .500ish team for 3 years prior.

The Dolphins and Cardinals haven’t made the playoffs under their new regime.  Both were ok last year, will see how this year goes.

I am sticking with my story-if the Jets are not competitive at the end of next year, or in the playoffs (or very close to it) in 2023, the GM and Coach should go, probably together.   The GM is in charge of everything, including coaching.  So they may need some adjustments.  I would expect another senior well-paid offensive coach this off season to replace Knapp (who was a good idea, but you can’t plan for tragedy). 

JD spent the first 1.5 years finding his way getting bad or no input from the coaches.

In 2021, Saleh and Ulbrich gave JD some good feedback and appear to have drafted and sign players to fit a scheme, and after 2 weeks the defense looks decent.  I don’t think it will finish top 10, but hopefully top 16.  

JD started out following the Mac plan of cheap coached up OL, and it did not appear to work.   Becton got derailed in the offseason.  JD traded up for a LG who could start right away, and he looked decent last week.  He signed Moses.  He rolled the dice on Clark and Lewis for RG and it backfired.   We thought he was carrying too many resources at WR, signing Cole and keeping Crowder, and that now looks smart.  He drafted a WR and RB that people liked.  

So 2022 is the year.  So JD should offer Moses and Maye decent extensions, with the one who does not accept getting franchised.   He needs to overpay players, like the Panthers did Robby, so the Jets can be decent next year.  That is the game, not cap optimization.  

I am not going to waste time and energy thinking about how JD should get fired now.  If JD has not built a much better team by the end of next year, fire him.  

• Post of the Week 1