If Jets go 3-14 or worse does Joe Douglas get fired

If Jets go 3-14 or worse does Joe Douglas get fired?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. If Jets go 3-14 or worse do we throw Snow Joe away?

• Yes - He's led the worst stretch of Jets football
    • No - we need to be patient. Mac left him a mess.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2021 at 04:00 PM

37 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Means nothing.  Woody fired Mangini just 3 months after promising he’d never fire him after trading for Brett Favre

promising is different from having a contract with many years on it.

when Mangini got fired he had one year left and 1,7 mil.

JD will have 3 years left on June 7 2022. 

very smart for him to get all those years. he knew it was going to be rough.

hes not going anywhere until maybe Dec of 2022 at the earliest if we are a total disaster 

• Upvote 1

JD’s first year was kind of practice.   He traded Leo for Ashtyn Davis and saved money and tried to help the OL with Alex Lewis and Ryan Kalil.  Flop. 

Year 2 his draft was terrible and he added Fant, GVR and McGovern to the line.  It’s better but not great.  The primary reason the Jets look bad is because the 2020 draft was not helpful.   

The 2021 draft looks more helpful.  Saleh looks like a real coach.  The defense is well coached.  The offense needs better coaching.  

But I just don’t see any changes getting made until 2023.  Sale and JD need to work together to figure this out.  They will have substantial cap space and should use it to buy OL.  JD needs to relate to the players better.  Something is going on with Crowder. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

No. Once again, it has never been about this year if people have been paying attention. The win-loss expectations should be low especially playing up to 12 rookies with a rookie HC. We just want to see progress and growth for the team as a whole as the season moves along. This has always been a 4-6 win team and 6 is pushing it. Early indications are that this past draft class may be a good one. Wilson(hopefully), AVT, Moore, Carter x 2, Echols, and others. Next draft we have 12 picks I think with 4 probably in the top 50. It has always been about next year and beyond. 

The Jets have been trying sell this to the fan base since 2017. Problem is we don’t see progress. Sunday was yet another humiliating loss. 

I voted no, but I can tell you if this turns out to be another unwatchable team with a broken offense the heat is going to be turned up on him. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2021 at 7:17 AM, dbatesman said:

I’m sure everyone here will be done with him, and rightfully so, but there’s no way the Johnsons fire him after this year, so it’s kinda moot

The only way it happens is if the media jumps ship on JD and starts blaming him for everything. 

The Johnsons typically blow with the wind. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, doitny said:

promising is different from having a contract with many years on it.

when Mangini got fired he had one year left and 1,7 mil.

JD will have 3 years left on June 7 2022. 

very smart for him to get all those years. he knew it was going to be rough.

hes not going anywhere until maybe Dec of 2022 at the earliest if we are a total disaster 

Woody hasn’t fired people under contract before?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

If we go 2-15 I would not be shocked if Saleh got canned

The Jets will win more than two games this year. Not many more, but more. Douglas isn’t firing his handpicked coach one year in, regardless, and the Johnsons aren’t firing the two of them with three years guaranteed left on their contracts. 

It would take some sort of scandal to get either of these guys fired in the next two years. Sexual harassment, domestic violence, something on that level. Even if Zach looks like Sam for two seasons, they all still make it to -and thru- 2023. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

then our next coach is Adam Gase Jr.

we would never get a top coaching prospect again. you cant fire a guy after one year. especially when you have the youngest roster with 12 rookies on it.

this was the plan before Saleh signed his contract. maybe not win 2 games but JD and Woody knew this would be a rough year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

No way we fire Robert Saleh, even if we become the first franchise to go 0-17. It would give the Jets franchise 4 coaches with 1 year or less of a tenure: Lou Holtz, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, and Robert Saleh. The only one who wasn't fired was Belichick, who resigned after 1 day with a note on a napkin. I see Saleh in the mold of a Pete Carroll, so we keep him no matter what imho. 

The constant turnover of GM and HC is a huge contribute to why this organization is the worst in the NFL.

Stop the insanity!!!

The other huge contributor is the fact that all these hires were slapdash and poor choices.

JD is a real football guy, we’ll respected but definitely has some misses. Salah is a real football guy, we’ll respected and in his rookie season.

everybody needs to take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. we are all rightfully thin on patience. However this rebuild IS different, and whether it works out or not we can’t kill this set up and start over yet again.  Because then we just start this chaotic cycle all over again. 

Let it grow and see what it turns into, good or bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

No way we fire Robert Saleh, even if we become the first franchise to go 0-17. It would give the Jets franchise 4 coaches with 1 year or less of a tenure: Lou Holtz, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, and Robert Saleh. The only one who wasn't fired was Belichick, who resigned after 1 day with a note on a napkin. I see Saleh in the mold of a Pete Carroll, so we keep him no matter what imho. 

Yeah because keeping bad head coaches here 3+ years has worked really well

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

The constant turnover of GM and HC is a huge contribute to why this organization is the worst in the NFL.

Stop the insanity!!!

The other huge contributor is the fact that all these hires were slapdash and poor choices.

JD is a real football guy, we’ll respected but definitely has some misses. Salah is a real football guy, we’ll respected and in his rookie season.

everybody needs to take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. we are all rightfully thin on patience. However this rebuild IS different, and whether it works out or not we can’t kill this set up and start over yet again.  Because then we just start this chaotic cycle all over again. 

Stop hiring duds.  Watch the turnover stop

joe is not going anywhere

his best accomplishment is convincing some fans and ownership each year is the brand new start of his rebuild-

getting rid of gase and sam allows joe and his supporters to say hey he has a rookie coach and a rookie qb-that excuse will be used next year too-hey we got a young qb and a second year coach we need to give the system time....

5 hours ago, doitny said:

then our next coach is Adam Gase Jr.

we would never get a top coaching prospect again. you cant fire a guy after one year. especially when you have the youngest roster with 12 rookies on it.

this was the plan before Saleh signed his contract. maybe not win 2 games but JD and Woody knew this would be a rough year.

There’s only 32 nfl head coaching jobs in the world.  The bump up in pay for an assistant to head coach position is huge at least a couple million dollars

No matter how bad this franchise is we will always be able to hire a head coach and GM.  Getting Woody to pick the right people is the hard part

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe is not going anywhere

his best accomplishment is convincing some fans and ownership each year is the brand new start of his rebuild-

getting rid of gase and sam allows joe and his supporters to say hey he has a rookie coach and a rookie qb-that excuse will be used next year too-hey we got a young qb and a second year coach we need to give the system time....

The “true rebuild” has been on going for at least 6 years?

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Stop the insanity!!!

While I agree with this sentiment in general, nothing is gained by keeping around a guy you know who can't do the job just because.

If Saleh turns into the defensive Freddie Kitchens, are you giving him 3 years no matter what?

6 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets will win more than two games this year. Not many more, but more. Douglas isn’t firing his handpicked coach one year in, regardless, and the Johnsons aren’t firing the two of them with three years guaranteed left on their contracts. 

It would take some sort of scandal to get either of these guys fired in the next two years. Sexual harassment, domestic violence, something on that level. Even if Zach looks like Sam for two seasons, they all still make it to -and thru- 2023. 

If we win 2 or less games and Sam makes the playoffs heads are gonna roll

2 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Getting Woody to pick the right people is the hard part

No, the hard part is trying to get the right people to agree to work for Woody and the Jets. They got their first choice with JD, and and then JD got his first choice with Saleh. This is a franchise rarity. They’re here, along with Zach, for the next three years, no matter how much you want to yell and scream and kick your feet. Maybe consider just rooting for them… ? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

No, the hard part is trying to get the right people to agree to work for Woody and the Jets. They got their first choice with JD, and and then JD got his first choice with Saleh. This is a franchise rarity. They’re here, along with Zach, for the next three years, no matter how much you want to yell and scream and kick your feet. Maybe consider just rooting for them… ? 

I’ve rooted for multiple lousy regimes in a row.  What’s one more?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

You’re impressed?

I expected a rough start. This was a two win team last year. They have a rookie HC, OC, QB, and a bunch more starting or contributing. If you had some great expectations, that’s your issue. I knew not to expect much in the win column, and have been saying as much for months. This is a work in process, a process I’m not unhappy with. You should get used to it. These guys are here for the long haul. 

I understand people getting impatient with Douglas. I questioned the way he was going about things from before last season started, but even I’m willing to give him until after the ‘22 season.
For better or worse, he’s the one who tore this team apart, he’s the one who got us all this draft capital. He deserves the chance to select the players with it.

As far as Saleh and Wilson? Lol, come on guys, it’s been 2 games! Let’s take a breath. ?

On 9/20/2021 at 8:10 AM, playtowinthegame said:

Does Snow Joe get another mulligan if 2021 is another hopeless/terrible Jets season? I've read a lot of post that suggest Joe is safe no matter what happens in 2021. It doesn't seem very forward thinking to allow a GM with a such poor track record in both the draft and free agency to continue to put his handprint on this franchise. That would be a disservice to the next GM the Jets hire. We have a lot of draft picks and cap space ready to be used after this season...I think we could get good GM candidates who would want Saleh as their head coach. 

If the Jets lose alot this year, yes, I think JD is retained (As is the Saleh administration) for 2022.

I don't see any real chance JD is fired till at least 2023, most likely after the 2023 season.

With that said, I prefer t hope we'll improve, given we're two games into the JD/Saleh combined era.

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas wasnt their first choice. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Jets lose alot this year, yes, I think JD is retained (As is the Saleh administration) for 2022.

I don't see any real chance JD is fired till at least 2023, most likely after the 2023 season.

With that said, I prefer t hope we'll improve, given we're two games into the JD/Saleh combined era.

I believe Robert Saleh deserves at the very least 4 seasons - same as Todd Bowles. It's the guy buying the "groceries" I'm most concerned with at this point thus far. We got 15 games left to see how things develop. I genuinely hope things turn around this season to give us some sliver of hope for 2022.