Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I can’t help but think that if we got that missed forced fumble call on the first series, it would have changed the entire game script.  Zach would’ve thrown his first pick way earlier which might have changed the play calling dynamics.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mac Jones played way better competition in college than ZW did hopefully our rookie QB can overcome the mistakes he made yesterday. 

Were Jones' college receivers more covered than Wilson's? Did he have less time to throw the ball than Wilson did?

They were in vastly different circumstances in college and are now in vastly different circumstances in the NFL, so I'm not sure what Mac Jones has to do with Zach Wilson's performance yesterday.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the hoodie baited him last week by continually praising Zaps howitzer of an arm.

Zach prolly wanted to show it off for his favorite coach as a kid and got suplexed all over the field.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

Too much rhetoric on this forum today. It’s pretty simple. The rookie QB was overwhelmed by the guy that historically overwhelms rookie QBs. The rest of the team actually all got thumbs up from me. Wilson sucked but 1 game is not a trend and next week now has extra intrigue. 

I dont agree with this angle which is what all the media says as well.  Zach should have taken what the defense was giving him, and being at the game and seeing the whole field, I can tell you there were guys running open.  He wanted to take more and he got burned. No confusion from Beli, just bad choices from Zach.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Were Jones' college receivers more covered than Wilson's? Did he have less time to throw the ball than Wilson did?

They were in vastly different circumstances in college and are now in vastly different circumstances in the NFL, so I'm not sure what Mac Jones has to do with Zach Wilson's performance yesterday.

 

The Patriots with Mac Jones at QB beat the NY Jets with ZW at QB yesterday. 

Mac Jones made less mistakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not happy with the results or the showing by Zach yesterday, because with decent QB play that was a very winnable game.

But…I am surprised that so many people are surprised that this has been the start lol.

Not sure what people expected. I didn’t expect 4 picks (1 was really on Davis though) but either way, didn’t expect a nightmare game. But I certainly didn’t expect Wilson to light up Belichick D in his 2nd pro game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, freestater said:

That was a bad showing by the rookie. He got rattled by the scumbag's coverage and seemed like he was a little too confident in his arm. Big lessons to be learned from this game. All around. LaFleur included, this might've been the rookie signal-caller's first introduction to Belichick, but it was our rookie OC's too. Am I confident in his capacity to learn from this? Not sure, too soon to tell. His playcalling thus far has been formulaic and unimaginative. 

That said, the line sure did improve. He must have been able to press some concepts, the obvious mental lapses greatly decreased. Van Roten is still a mess. Like many others have said, if the Jets had prioritized C in the draft then McGovern could slide to guard. I think that would make the unit much more serviceable. The backs looked better (mostly from better push at the line) but the WRs had some lapses. 

The defense is surprisingly good. They had a rookie QB on the ropes, true, but the coverage downfield was better than I thought it would be. We might be razor thin at LB but they hold their own. I think the defensive coaching staff has done a fantastic job putting these guys in position to succeed. 

Zach doomed this effort. He tried to be the hero, and fell on his face. I hope he's humbled and pissed off. We'll learn a lot about his fortitude this coming week. I think (hope) he rises to the challenge, shakes it off and improves. 

Go Jets!

No mention FREE DENZEL?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pac said:

Think the hoodie baited him last week by continually praising Zaps howitzer of an arm.

Zach prolly wanted to show it off for his favorite coach as a kid and got suplexed all over the field.

 

Sounds scum baggash  enough to be true. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

That was a bad showing by the rookie. He got rattled by the scumbag's coverage and seemed like he was a little too confident in his arm. Big lessons to be learned from this game. All around. LaFleur included, this might've been the rookie signal-caller's first introduction to Belichick, but it was our rookie OC's too. Am I confident in his capacity to learn from this? Not sure, too soon to tell. His playcalling thus far has been formulaic and unimaginative. 

That said, the line sure did improve. He must have been able to press some concepts, the obvious mental lapses greatly decreased. Van Roten is still a mess. Like many others have said, if the Jets had prioritized C in the draft then McGovern could slide to guard. I think that would make the unit much more serviceable. The backs looked better (mostly from better push at the line) but the WRs had some lapses. 

The defense is surprisingly good. They had a rookie QB on the ropes, true, but the coverage downfield was better than I thought it would be. We might be razor thin at LB but they hold their own. I think the defensive coaching staff has done a fantastic job putting these guys in position to succeed. 

Zach doomed this effort. He tried to be the hero, and fell on his face. I hope he's humbled and pissed off. We'll learn a lot about his fortitude this coming week. I think (hope) he rises to the challenge, shakes it off and improves. 

Go Jets!

Lot of good points in this post. The one I'd like to focus on is Zach's overconfidence in his arm. I think another element is that he still doesn't respect the speed and skill differences in NFL defenses. He needs to adjust his internal sensors to accurately evaluate throwing windows in the context of defenders' ability to close. "Game manager" is a maligned term but he absolutely needs to accept what the defense gives. NFL rules favor offense and it's not possible for defenses to take everything away. Playground ball is not a sustainable strategy at this level -- few exceptions aside like Lamar Jackson who is a physical freak. Zach needs to compete with his head, not just his arm.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I dont agree with this angle which is what all the media says as well.  Zach should have taken what the defense was giving him, and being at the game and seeing the whole field, I can tell you there were guys running open.  He wanted to take more and he got burned. No confusion from Beli, just bad choices from Zach.

He manned up on the outside and kept his safeties deep. Essentially he made Wilson play in tight windows by eliminating the deep areas and challenged Wilson to stay in the pocket and go through all his reads. There was always a player on the DL waiting for Wilson to role out and then pursue him. Belichick dared Wilson to play like a vet rather than a talented rookie and Wilson shriveled under the pressure. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson was absolutely awful yesterday but weirdly I felt somewhat encouraged that the rest of the offense isn't as far off as they looked Week 1. I think the Panthers (as evidenced by their win over the Saints) are actually pretty f'n good.

The scary thing is Wilson -- because those weren't "he's under siege, getting hit, no running game, trying to make things happen" type picks. They were him looking totally lost and unable to see the field type picks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Wilson was absolutely awful yesterday but weirdly I felt somewhat encouraged that the rest of the offense isn't as far off as they looked Week 1. I think the Panthers (as evidenced by their win over the Saints) are actually pretty f'n good.

The scary thing is Wilson -- because those weren't "he's under siege, getting hit, no running game, trying to make things happen" type picks. They were him looking totally lost and unable to see the field type picks.

I think it was him trying to do too much and going into every pass play with that mindset. It's tempting for a twenty two year old to believe his own press. He's supposedly a film junkie so he'll see the plays that he could have made and hopefully those will be his first plays instead of the ones he made yesterday. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I can’t help but think that if we got that missed forced fumble call on the first series, it would have changed the entire game script.  Zach would’ve thrown his first pick way earlier which might have changed the play calling dynamics.

I half agree. That call was an early deflation and could have impacted a few things. Would Zach have been better? Who knows. Probably not, but things like that can really get into people’s heads. Especially on the field and sideline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Anyone who follows college football. 

Ryan Leaf is actually a really good commentator and he was just in awe of the love parade being bestowed on Zach last offseason.  Leaf watched a lot of Zach in college and saw a 4th round pick

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He manned up on the outside and kept his safeties deep. Essentially he made Wilson play in tight windows by eliminating the deep areas and challenged Wilson to stay in the pocket and go through all his reads. There was always a player on the DL waiting for Wilson to role out and then pursue him. Belichick dared Wilson to play like a vet rather than a talented rookie and Wilson shriveled under the pressure. 

He was not under any pressure yesterday compared to the first week. He may have have played cover 2 man under but regardless, there were guys open and he missed them or chose another route. He'll get better, but this was no "ghost" game

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freestater said:

That was a bad showing by the rookie. He got rattled by the scumbag's coverage and seemed like he was a little too confident in his arm. Big lessons to be learned from this game. All around. LaFleur included, this might've been the rookie signal-caller's first introduction to Belichick, but it was our rookie OC's too. Am I confident in his capacity to learn from this? Not sure, too soon to tell. His playcalling thus far has been formulaic and unimaginative. 

That said, the line sure did improve. He must have been able to press some concepts, the obvious mental lapses greatly decreased. Van Roten is still a mess. Like many others have said, if the Jets had prioritized C in the draft then McGovern could slide to guard. I think that would make the unit much more serviceable. The backs looked better (mostly from better push at the line) but the WRs had some lapses. 

The defense is surprisingly good. They had a rookie QB on the ropes, true, but the coverage downfield was better than I thought it would be. We might be razor thin at LB but they hold their own. I think the defensive coaching staff has done a fantastic job putting these guys in position to succeed. 

Zach doomed this effort. He tried to be the hero, and fell on his face. I hope he's humbled and pissed off. We'll learn a lot about his fortitude this coming week. I think (hope) he rises to the challenge, shakes it off and improves. 

Go Jets!

Bad performances happen...every QB has them. Zach is still the guy who showed such resilience last week and excelled in the second half. He is learning. I am not super concerned about him. 2 of the INTs were really not that bad, and 2 were complete brain farts which happens. 

Seemed to be that the Jets tried to outhink BB and even knowing that BB would try and eliminate CD they created a game plan around him. Not the most brilliant plan. 

Even with Zach's terrible day and it was terrible I actually see more to be excited about from yesterday than depressed. The D and OL were very much upgraded over first week. Our secondary does not look bad in fact it looks really solid.

I don;t think Zach will have lingering issues from this performance. I think he comes back stronger next week. He wasn't even the worst QB in the NFL yesterday.

Far too early to jump ship. The first 4 weeks are pretty wild in the ups and downs for all teams not led by a 72 year old QB it seems

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I think it was him trying to do too much and going into every pass play with that mindset. It's tempting for a twenty two year old to believe his own press. He's supposedly a film junkie so he'll see the plays that he could have made and hopefully those will be his first plays instead of the ones he made yesterday. 

 

That was true with the 2nd pick -- instead of taking the easy throw he went for more yardage and threw high (Davis should have caught anyway.)

The other picks kind of fell into "what was he looking at" territory for me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That was true with the 2nd pick -- instead of taking the easy throw he went for more yardage and threw high (Davis should have caught anyway.)

The other picks kind of fell into "what was he looking at" territory for me.

I think the first pick was even more forced than the second one. The fourth one was just a terrible throw. He made the same one at the end of the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Wilson was absolutely awful yesterday but weirdly I felt somewhat encouraged that the rest of the offense isn't as far off as they looked Week 1. I think the Panthers (as evidenced by their win over the Saints) are actually pretty f'n good.

The scary thing is Wilson -- because those weren't "he's under siege, getting hit, no running game, trying to make things happen" type picks. They were him looking totally lost and unable to see the field type picks.

I agree with you but when you watch him in the postgame, he was asked about seeing the field a number of times and every time he said he saw the field perfectly and knew exactly what they were doing, "execution was just off". On some of those throws unless guys ran the complete wrong route, I'm not sure how you could be seeing it well and make the throws he did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...