Zach Wilson: all GAS but tap the brakes

I think this game shows that Zach plays with all gas, but he learned that in the NFL you need to play within the game.

Coaching staff needs to put a leash on him a bit more. We aren’t good enough to warrant a Mac Jones leash but he needs to be told when to sling it and when not to. 

Defense looked good and O line looked better. Now time for Zach to learn when to tap the breaks. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Wit changed the title to Zach Wilson: all GAS but tap the brakes

Watching again the second INT Davis could have caught. High throw but catchable. The last INT was brutal but Elijah Moore gave basically zero effort on the ball too. The third pass was just a lazy throw but Moore didn’t give any effort to come back on the ball either. What’s this guys deal?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Pretty much this. He wants to push it. He needs to learn when to push it and when to take the three yards and play the next down. I think he can. 

This. If he learns how to do this we're golden. He'll develop and reinforce better habits and have a much better platform from which to learn and take the next steps in becoming a great QB.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Watching again the second INT Davis could have caught. High throw but catchable. The last INT was brutal but Elijah Moore gave basically zero effort on the ball too.

It felt like a mirror image of the throw he completed toward the end of the game.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It felt like a mirror image of the throw he completed toward the end of the game.

The 3rd and 4th picks were both terrible throws but Moore legit gave no effort. 

• Upvote 2

What I'm worried about is that all of this was clear and present on his college film.  Terrible footwork, bad pocket presence, poor mechanics, hero ball, yolo jump balls, misses high and yet, it's almost like they havent even addressed any of these major areas of development.  It's like they treated him as if he was already finished product and these werent glaring issues that would plague him in the league.

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

What I'm worried about is that all of this was clear and present on his college film.  Terrible footwork, bad pocket presence, poor mechanics, hero ball, yolo jump balls, misses high and yet, it's almost like they havent even addressed any of these major areas of development.  It's like they treated him as if he was already finished product and these werent glaring issues that would plague him in the league.

I can’t pretend I poured over his college tape, but I think gunslinging worked for him his whole life, but he has to learn when and where he can use that arm of his. He also isn’t throwing to kelce and megatron right now. 

First quarter of the season was always going to look like trash. New everything, no real off-season anymore. Live bullets are the only way to work thru installs and acclimating.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't think they should be coaching the aggressiveness out of him.  I'd rather he bust than turn into what Mac Jones is today, i.e. a game manager.  Because if he continues the same aggressiveness - and improves - we'll finally have a FQB.

Maybe learning on the job will pay off in the long run but he really shouldn't be on the field right now IMO.  He's so raw that 10 games on the bench would have given him time to get adjusted to the league and also the young team to gel before throwing him out there.  I think the team miscalculated and thought he was a more polished prospect then he is. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, undertow said:

Maybe learning on the job will pay off in the long run but he really shouldn't be on the field right now IMO.  He's so raw that 10 games on the bench would have given him time to get adjusted to the league and also the young team to gel before throwing him out there.  I think the team miscalculated and thought he was a more polished prospect then he is. 

Probably too late for that unless Mike White? Haha. But it’s criminal we don’t have a vet who could take some reps honestly. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Probably too late for that unless Mike White? Haha. But it’s criminal we don’t have a vet who could take some reps honestly. 

Not signing a vet back up for a few million will never make any sense to me,  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Watching again the second INT Davis could have caught. High throw but catchable. The last INT was brutal but Elijah Moore gave basically zero effort on the ball too. The third pass was just a lazy throw but Moore didn’t give any effort to come back on the ball either. What’s this guys deal?

The last interception  was inexcusable. He can’t expect at this level to throw up contended balls in your own territory. The 3rd was a poor underthrown pass. The 1st one was impressive in that he attempted to throw back shoulder seeing the coverage in front of the receiver just  off leading to tip. The 2nd one was on the receiver 

1 minute ago, Cyberjet said:

The last interception  was inexcusable. He can’t expect at this level to throw up contended balls in your own territory. The 3rd was a poor underthrown pass. The 1st one was impressive in that he attempted to throw back shoulder seeing the coverage in front of the receiver just  off leading to tip. The 2nd one was on the receiver 

All the passes were terrible. You just expect a receiver to make a play on the ball on an underthrown pass. 

2 hours ago, Wit said:

I think this game shows that Zach plays with all gas, but he learned that in the NFL you need to play within the game.

Coaching staff needs to put a leash on him a bit more. We aren’t good enough to warrant a Mac Jones leash but he needs to be told when to sling it and when not to. 

Defense looked good and O line looked better. Now time for Zach to learn when to tap the breaks. 

I think this is a very sensible reaction. I agree I think. Honestly Zach was trying to push push push and make soem throws.

The first two interceptions Id argue he actually made them haha. but the later he didnt. He has to learn the game and feel for NFL quality play. All rooks do. I dont mind saleh i.e. our Offensive coordinator calling plays that obviously have check downs and zach going for it. Sure it be nice if he learned when to go for it, and not put it all ont he line when you have the easy check down, but last week we all were complimenting and appreciating those corey davis TDs, and those throws he made. News flash they coud have easily wen the other way.

Macc Jones did nothing out there, but easy safe check down. Sure he gets a win today but I would argue that there is a very big possibility that zach learned more and will get better faster with the experience. Maybe not that big of a deal in the grand scheme but I rather zach learn his cans and can't now this year as a rook.

I mean its all subjective, sure we could have won the game, if everythign goes right but I think right now the coachign staff and zach want to play at a high level making downfield throws, might as well try it out. I dont see how this game doesnt translate next week.

I truth probably is that zach should not have push and made those bad throws, he should have just checked down, but he is a rookie playing in his first NFL season, the kid wants to ball, let him take his shots and learn.  

7 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Pretty much every rookie QB has a game like this at some point. The big key will be if Zach is able to learn and grow from this to avoid making the same mistakes in the future. I think he will but we will find out. 

you basically said want I wanted to say but like in a smart and concise way. Plus one on yoru post!

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The only thing this game showed was exactly what Zach Wilson is.

I want to believe what Tony Romo and other experts have said, but then I remember that the general manager who picked him is the same guy who blew every other pick in every draft he’s ever had and then I get really worried. Like really worried.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I want to believe what Tony Romo and other experts have said, but then I remember that the general manager who picked him is the same guy who blew every other pick in every draft he’s ever had and then I get really worried. Like really worried.

SAR I

Can we just admit these clowns like Romo and Chris Simms were simply trying to be contrarian last offseason when they said Zach was better than Trevor?

Mike Tanenbaum was raving about Wilson.  That is all anyone ever needed to know. Red flag.

• Sad 1