RIP Savage69

BP

Rip man. Wish I would of been able to of met you, sounds like a hell of a man gone too soon. He was a favorite poster of mine and had an avatar that couldn't be beat. Does anyone know what his favorite alcoholic beverage was? I would be honored to drink it in his memory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2021 at 2:09 PM, Maxman said:

@BP we will definitely pin this, more people will see it right now on the main page so let's keep bumping it.  But we should:

1. Pin this for the entire football season, so Savage is in our hearts all season long

2. Figure out some way to keep Savage's memory alive.  We should throw out ideas:

The Savage Curtis Martin Poster Award - this poster wins the award for compiling posts. None of them any good. Just 4 yards at a time. 

:)

I am sure we can come up with something better than that. But let's create a yearly award or honor is his name. @Savage69 is a hero, those who aren't hear yet need to know about him.

Also BP if you are comfortable with it, can you share this thread with his family? This way they know how much he meant to us?

Thank You. 

A champagne glass with Savage69 and a JN logo etched in.  But where would we put it? I'll ask around for some blonde volunteers.

• Haha 2

On 9/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

John Savage and I met decades ago...when the internet first got started.  We belonged to a forum called the Green House which is now long gone.  John only had one jersey because he refused to invest in players that would be gone in a flash.  So, he had a jersey made up with his name...SAVAGE and with typical John Savage humor, the number 69.  We met several times over the years whether in Jersey or in Miami.  He bled green through and through.  I could tell you stories of John from his younger years that would blow you away...when he was in this twenties, he owned a night club in NYC and the things he would tell me about those times would have you shaking your head...lol.  I rarely post anymore...just a sign of old age I guess and I leave it to you younger guys to battle it out.  RIP John...save a place for me in that stadium in the sky along with other Jet fans that have passed on.  The pic attached is from a Green House tailgate about 21 years go.  That's Savage with the white beard...

IMG_1149_crop.jpg

Man if that’s not an old time die hard tailgate photo I don’t know what is. Got the the shirts tucked in, the white jean shorts, ankle socks and quintessentially the best touch, the personal dumpster,   Thank you for sharing this story. RIP. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2021 at 11:50 AM, nj meadowlands said:

Wow, that's sad news.  Anyone know how old Savage was?

He was around 75 . We were some of the oldest in our 60s while on JI ! We used to joke about his photos with younger girls in bikinis. Great guy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RMJK said:

He was around 75 . We were some of the oldest in our 60s while on JI ! We used to joke about his photos with younger girls in bikinis. Great guy.

Wow you guys go back a long time. It really does go by fast.  I think BP told me Savage was 77. And he was still working. Dude was a machine!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RMJK said:

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wow you guys go back a long time. It really does go by fast.  I think BP told me Savage was 77. And he was still working. Dude was a machine!

1) He turned 77 in January

2) who do you think took that pic of him with the chicks in the bikinis? Lol

he told me his mother lived to 105. He was a genetic freak. I was just telling him back in may how there’s a huge difference physically between late 40’s early 50’s to mid 50’s. He told me he was great until his late 60’s lol he said wait until you get into your 70’s.

• Upvote 2

As a new member of the JetsNation forums and an aspiring journalist, I am wondering whether there's any way I (or others) can assist in preserving the memories of the Jets faithful like Savage 69, may he rest in peace.  It seems to me that when you think about our collective memory as fans, we are increasingly approaching a time when those who were old enough to remember the Jets golden years are in their golden years.  If we don't do something to preserve their accounts we may irrevocably lose part of the community.  

I may not be the person to lead this, but we really should do a historical preservation mission of interviewing some of our oldest fans so that those memories are not lost forever.  NFL archival footage only records what happened on the field, not the tailgate.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1