LaFleur (thus far) is hot garbage

59 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The best running bit on this board is that Jets quarterbacks only make bad throws because the offensive coordinator told them to

You know, I can remember a time where I was yelled at for calling bad games, but when you went back and looked at the film, the first read on 5 passes were wide open for TDs.  QB just ran instead.  Good times

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Run game looked pretty good yesterday. Hard to call plays when your QB is lobbing it into coverage every other play.

said this in another thread the run game was allowed to look good because belichick took the passing game away dropping into coverage. We didn't adjust

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

That third run in a row when they were at the two yard line was egregious. I saw Moore singled and was like "this is a touchdown" and then they ran it up the middle. I wrote in my notepad "game over" (I don't have a notepad, I think I'm quoting MMQB)

For real, the little sprint right play to Moore was all they needed

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People need to understand this. Also, it could be me, but it feels like we are keeping TEs and backs in to block at a higher rate than we did against the Panthers. While our pass protection was better, we are still sacrificing our ability to have more receiving options because the o-line is bad.

Not just more receiving options, but better matchups to exploit. Half the offense you see each week is RB and TE against LB exploits.

Our OL sucks so hard, we get none of this. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

said this in another thread the run game was allowed to look good because belichick took the passing game away dropping into coverage. We didn't adjust

haven't gone back to look myself but a few of the plays in this breakdown have 8 in the box and we're hitting good runs.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/baldy-s-breakdown-jets-rush-for-152-yards-vs-patriots

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Forcing it to Corey Davis right away when everyone and their dog knew Belichick would be all over it was unbelievable. 

Did LaFleur force it to Davis, or did Wilson force it into Davis.

Pretty sure LaFleur calls plays with multiple receiver options, and the QB is the one who makes the read and throws the pass.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah except he didnt, davis our number 1 option should and coudl have been targeted. Dont throw to the number 1 wr because the other team doesnt want you to is silly. Davis is a good WR. Zach just needs to learn how to hit him that is all . 

And lets forget that pass should have been caught.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Run game looked pretty good yesterday. Hard to call plays when your QB is lobbing it into coverage every other play.

Why do you give a rookie QB from BYU a playbook that is not limited to high percentage passing plays ??? No matter how confident he sounds, the coaches need to guide him.  Those interceptions were on the CS.  He was not prepared and he is not being guided/handled correctly.  Just like Sammy 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Why do you give a rookie QB from BYU a playbook that is not limited to high percentage passing plays ??? No matter how confident he sounds, the coaches need to guide him.  Those interceptions were on the CS.  He was not prepared and he is not being guided/handled correctly.  Just like Sammy 

I can't help you if you think it's on the CS when the QB is just lobbing the balls up to the DB's. Good luck to you. Enjoy whatever it is you think you're watching.

4 hours ago, LSJF said:

Is this system too finesse, our running game couldn’t punch in the 1 yard touchdown run, it seems too much scheme rather than running people over once in a while… And how come we can’t fit Mims  into a system, I like when a coach is able to take a player strengths and make it part of their system… Is this guy too stubborn, will he adapt and learn I hope so…Maybe the Shanahan offense doesn’t scare/fool  defenses like they did..I remember when he was hired, he wanted to put his own wrinkle in the system… Wrinkle it up dude…not giving up on Zach.. 

Shanahans Run Game - Always had the gaurds pulling and zone blocking .. it IS heavy scheme.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I can't help you if you think it's on the CS when the QB is just lobbing the balls up to the DB's. Good luck to you. Enjoy whatever it is you think you're watching.

Wilson still thinks he is at BYU playing against a college defense.  He's not understanding where he is and who he's in front of.  

He needs to be guided. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did LaFleur force it to Davis, or did Wilson force it into Davis.

Pretty sure LaFleur calls plays with multiple receiver options, and the QB is the one who makes the read and throws the pass.

True. Cant put it all on the play caller sometimes. That being said, he's probably one of the IMBECILES who agreed to start Wilson week 1. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

True. Cant put it all on the play caller sometimes. That being said, he's probably one of the IMBECILES who agreed to start Wilson week 1. 

/Shrug

So you wanted to see some JAG Veteran in there instead, and the #2 pick sitting?

Fair enough.  Was probably never gonna happen, but I guess you could want it.

Who was the last #2 overall pick QB who actually sat for a season?  I honestly don't know.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

brutal dude. I can give him a partial pass for the second one since it was a good read just a little high but the rest were just really, really bad. The game is probably too fast for him right now.

He was forcing stuff all day. BB takes away your top weapon. Zach threw at least 2 picks throwing to Davis. If everything is covered, and the run game is going, take the check down when you are playing the Patriots and you are a rookie QB. When we were down 10-3 I felt really good about us turning it around on offense and winning the game. Then it all went to sh*t.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/Shrug

So you wanted to see some JAG Veteran in there instead, and the #2 pick sitting?

Fair enough.  Was probably never gonna happen, but I guess you could want it.

Who was the last #2 overall pick QB who actually sat for a season?  I honestly don't know.

Yea, start anyone in there until the rest of the offense gels/is competent and the coaching staff is competent. Too late now though. I was saying this since he was drafted.

8 minutes ago, Barton said:

Yea, start anyone in there until the rest of the offense gels/is competent and the coaching staff is competent. Too late now though. I was saying this since he was drafted.

But you understand, on an intellectual level, that that simply isn't done.

That's why I asked, who was the last #2 overall pick QB who sat for a year (or most of a year at least).

I'm not against the idea per se, but as fans we also should be realistic.....some things we advocate for simply aren't done in the NFL anymore.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Zach wilson had people open in his 3 first ints, this game is on Zach not LaFleur.

The first INT(nobody was open) Wilson had pressure coming right at him up the middle from delayed blitz who was untouched and just threw the ball to Davis being careless with the football and should've taken the sack. The second INT Corey Davis put his hands up a tad late and went right through his hands. The other two INTs were just terrible decisions by Wilson and should've thrown to his check down

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But you understand, on an intellectual level, that that simply isn't done.

That's why I asked, who was the last #2 overall pick QB who sat for a year (or most of a year at least).

I'm not against the idea per se, but as fans we also should be realistic.....some things we advocate for simply aren't done in the NFL anymore.

Carson Palmer was #1 overall and sat for his entire rookie year. Baker Mayfield was #1 overall and didnt start week 1 either.

Whether Wilson was #2 or #25, isnt the issue. If the Jets are thinking smart, they wouldnt have started him week 1.

Mahomes was a 1st rd pick, sat his entire year. Ditto Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers.

And I'm not even abdocating him to sit the entire year, but at least the first quarter of the season until the team gels and the coaching staff has a better idea of what they are doing. 

• Upvote 2

In this case it falls on Wilson and the OC. Don’t understand why from game one knowing what hopefully that coaching staff saw with the oline and injured WR’s etc could have started with slants, screens, and runs. Saleh said something in his press conference how Zach likes LaFleur on the field not in the booth. 

You can interpret that anyway from positive to negative or irrelevant but to me it reminds me  how big of a loss Knapp was. At the end of the day it falls on Wilson but I feel they should of started him along at a slower pace with the route tree. We know he can get the ball at fast, perfect for slants and screens.

Let him feel in place then expand out. No football fan of any team wants their rookie QB to get sacked 6 times in his first game and picked 4 times in his second. The coaching staff better be reading this kid right. 

51 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Shanahans Run Game - Always had the gaurds pulling and zone blocking .. it IS heavy scheme.

I hope we can get tougher in the critical yard situation… where smash mouth gets u the one yard needed, like on the 4 and 1 in the first game, We didn’t get that either

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Zach Wilson himself said he was... Why are you calling him a liar?

Which games, which throws did Wilson make against the Giants and Packers where he was overly aggressive that you heard him talking about. 

IF he said it, yes, I'm calling him a liar.  He wasnt overly aggressive in all preseason games.