Zach will be fine, here's why

Sammybighead

I think Zach saw and knew BB had over/under coverage on Davis, and was confident he could fit those balls in the small windows and wanted to make a statement that BB wasn’t going to dictate what he could do in the game. In essence he accepted BB’s challenge, but ultimately failed.  
the first int, didn’t look hesitant to me, he went with his first read and fired away.  

Semper Fi 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, fastmover said:

I think Zach saw and knew BB had over/under coverage on Davis, and was confident he could fit those balls in the small windows and wanted to make a statement that BB wasn’t going to dictate what he could do in the game. In essence he accepted BB’s challenge, but ultimately failed.  
the first int, didn’t look hesitant to me, he went with his first read and fired away.  

Semper Fi 

I generally liked that he remained aggressive throughout the game. 

He's a rookie and there will be games like this - but I think it's big that he doesn't Sanchez and collapse in on himself after a bad throw.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, fastmover said:

Semper Fi 

Rah.

I was Army, but I'm Bilingual. I'm illiterate in 2 languages.

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nobody knows anything about what the hell is wrong with the kid. He just needs to not suck no more. 

Can this be posted on the front page so all the Duff beer QB’s can think twice before posting the “I know what’s wrong” paragraphs? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Trevor Lawrence can throw 3 picks and nobody says a word, they are not ready to throw him away after 2 games , they have the same amount of interceptions just in case anyone missed that 

Well sure but he also has twice as many TD's as Wilson does.

And I was a Fields/Lance over Lawrence guy.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I told Rutgers and Jif last year that we should say **** it, join the modern trend of the NFL and grab Trey Lance (I said he was a better passer than Fields). 

Oh No Fire GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

If they give you the run then run! Pats were taking away the pass and daring the Jets to beat them by running. The Jets were running well - but they didn't stick to it. They will learn - take what the defense is giving you and don't force plays into their strength. I blame Zach and our OC. The OC needs to recognize what the defense is doing and counter. Two deep safeties - you run and keep running till they have to bring a safety up. Zach needs to recognize this also. He will!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well good for you.  What has either shown so far? One can't beat out a one legged Andy Dalton and the other can't unseat a nervous in the pocket Garappolo.  And you are just another one of those I'd rather be right than see the Jets succeed guys.  

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I told Rutgers and Jif last year that we should say **** it, join the modern trend of the NFL and grab Trey Lance (I said he was a better passer than Fields). 

Oh No Fire GIF

Well good for you too!  Lance is lighting it up!!    And you also are just another one of those I'd rather be right than see the Jets succeed guys.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Well good for you.  What has either shown so far? One can't beat out a one legged Andy Dalton and the other can't unseat a nervous in the pocket Garappolo.  And you are just another one of those I'd rather be right than see the Jets succeed guys.  

Lot of vitriol in this post.  You sure got me pegged.  All this time I thought I wanted the Jets to be competent and not go 10+ years without a playoff bid or 50+ years without a SB, but now you make me realize I just want to be right.  Nailed it.  

People say its only been 2 games for Wilson and you can't judge him on that yet, but already you're basing your takes on Fields and Lance on them being currently blocked by veterans thru 2 games?  Interesting.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, fastmover said:

Semper Fi 

I think he’s young with a strong arm and thought he could do what he wants.  Forced it into davis that led to 2 picks.  Can’t do that.

Counter theory.  His rookie decision making was only part of the problem.  His footwork was atrocious.  If he can’t be fundamental sound against NFL pressure his decision making wont matter.  

I have high hopes for Zach but his mechanics fell apart and that’s a sign that he’s left a little pee in his magic underwear.  

There's no reason to throw Zach away now, my frustration is more so with the front office for putting him in this position. He should have gotten benched Sunday but we don't have anyone to turn to when Zach has a rookie implosion like most do. 

He clearly has talent and I believe he'll improve as the season goes along. Now whether he answers the call as our FQB is up in the air, as it always was until he proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Counter theory.  His rookie decision making was only part of the problem.  His footwork was atrocious.  If he can’t be fundamental sound against NFL pressure his decision making wont matter.  

I have high hopes for Zach but his mechanics fell apart and that’s a sign that he’s left a little pee in his magic underwear.  

Corey davis was basically triple covered on the first pick, and we knew BB would try and take davis away from wilson.  Yet, wilson rifled it there anyway.  That’s not footwork, that’s Wilson’s cockiness and arrogance that he can fit that ball into any space.  Not much different on the 2nd pick, he escaped pressure and instead of dumping it to moore for a short, surer gain, he forced it to davis with a more difficult throw.  I think that’s what saleh was talking about with ‘boring’.  No need to force those 2 throws.  I do believe one of the other picks was a miscommunication, but those first 2 picks were on a rookie qb with a very strong arm who had to learn the hard way you can’t do that in the nfl.  Footwork was not the issue.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nobody knows anything about what the hell is wrong with the kid. He just needs to not suck no more. 

The obvious fumble call could have us start the game up 3-0 or 7-0. Big difference with simple momentum and feel good

Corey Davis bats down the first INT rightinto the defenders hand, could have easily fell to the floor

Corey Davis has to make a play on a very catchable ball for the second INT.

By the second INT Zach is shaken, home opener for a rookie, and the last two INTs are on Zach.

If Zach 's line is 2 INTs instead of 4 no one is hitting the panic button (except the trolls around here) 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Corey davis was basically triple covered on the first pick, and we knew BB would try and take davis away from wilson.  Yet, wilson rifled it there anyway.  That’s not footwork, that’s Wilson’s cockiness and arrogance that he can fit that ball into any space.  Not much different on the 2nd pick, he escaped pressure and instead of dumping it to moore for a short, surer gain, he forced it to davis with a more difficult throw.  I think that’s what saleh was talking about with ‘boring’.  No need to force those 2 throws.  I do believe one of the other picks was a miscommunication, but those first 2 picks were on a rookie qb with a very strong arm who had to learn the hard way you can’t do that in the nfl.  Footwork was not the issue.

I agree with most of this....I don't think Zach's processing speed is bad at all.  In fact I think it's far more advanced than most rookies.

1st INT - was a bad decision for sure, but not a great throw either.  He was trying to get the ball to Davis's back (right) shoulder.  He missed the throw...but either way bad choice, as you stated he was bracketed - gotta go somewhere else with that ball.

2nd iNT - This is where I disagree.  Nothing wrong with pushing the ball down field - we want our QB's pushing the ball downfield.  You don't pass on an open deep guy because there's an open short guy.   Davis was plenty open and should have caught that ball.  Now, the throw was off though and needs to get better.  But that's a ball an NFL receiver is supposed to catch...but it also should be thrown better.  Again, accuracy issue on Zach's part.

3rd INT - I agree was a communication issue.  Zach all but said in his presser (he clearly didn't want to throw the WR under the bus but insinuated there was a communication issue). He did take the blame though.  This is bound to happen with a rookie WR and rookie QB....especially when the rookie WR missed much of training camp.  This should be expected and no big deal.

Bottom line, my biggest concern is Zach is having accuracy issues...and my worry there is that's just not fixable.

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

The obvious fumble call could have us start the game up 3-0 or 7-0. Big difference with simple momentum and feel good

Corey Davis bats down the first INT rightinto the defenders hand, could have easily fell to the floor

Corey Davis has to make a play on a very catchable ball for the second INT.

By the second INT Zach is shaken, home opener for a rookie, and the last two INTs are on Zach.

If Zach 's line is 2 INTs instead of 4 no one is hitting the panic button (except the trolls around here) 

OR??????   If????     They????!   

FREED DENZEl we likely won and the comparisons to Montana and Mahommes rain down on the board like a ticker tape parade with bacon slices!!!!!!

Davis was totally used as bait by Belicheck for the young kid. He 100% knew after watching a second of tape kid was forcing the ball to him. Amazing LaFleur, the guy who called the game didnt. Put Mims out there, another big physical target who probably would have caught or at least deflected the one of those balls out of the stadium and we are in a difference place right now!

FREE DENZEL save Zach Wilson’s career. Yeah, it’s like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with most of this....I don't think Zach's processing speed is bad at all.  In fact I think it's far more advanced than most rookies.

1st INT - was a bad decision for sure, but not a great throw either.  He was trying to get the ball to Davis's back (right) shoulder.  He missed the throw...but either way bad choice, as you stated he was bracketed - gotta go somewhere else with that ball.

2nd iNT - This is where I disagree.  Nothing wrong with pushing the ball down field - we want our QB's pushing the ball downfield.  You don't pass on an open deep guy because there's an open short guy.   Davis was plenty open and should have caught that ball.  Now, the throw was off though and needs to get better.  But that's a ball an NFL receiver is supposed to catch...but it also should be thrown better.  Again, accuracy issue on Zach's part.

3rd INT - I agree was a communication issue.  Zach all but said in his presser (he clearly didn't want to throw the WR under the bus but insinuated there was a communication issue). He did take the blame though.

Bottom line, my biggest concern is Zach is having accuracy issues...and my worry there is that's just not fixable.

That was a function of his footwork which was markadly worse than in week 1.  Probably a function of pressure either real or percieved.  

The decision making is a learning curve.  Hanging in and keeping your mechanics against NFL D's is way more a mental toughness issue.  Darnold couldn't handle it either but Darnold never had great footwork.    Zach's accuracy is tied to his footwork.  If he doesn't learn to deal with pressure in the context of his mechanics he's toast.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That was a function of his footwork which was markadly worse than in week 1.  Probably a function of pressure either real or percieved.  

The decision making is a learning curve.  Hanging in and keeping your mechanics against NFL D's is way more a mental toughness issue.  Darnold couldn't handle it either but Darnold never had great footwork.    Zach's accuracy is tied to his footwork.  If he doesn't learn to deal with pressure in the context of his mechanics he's toast.

What you're saying here is the pressure in week 1 did, in fact, get to him (mentally) in week 2?

Def. possible and that's NOT a good sign for Zach's potential.  That he'a already shell-shocked, after one week.  If this is true Zach will bust.