NFL Thursday night game

faba

On 9/21/2021 at 12:55 PM, doitny said:

Sam beats 2 rookies in there 1st ever game and a guy who threw 30 INTs in his last season he was a starter

Sam fans will be fitting Sam for his gold jacket after this game.

Some people think rookie quarterbacks play defense.

And ask Aaron Rodgers how it turned out going up against that guy who threw all those interceptions

excuses in 3,2….

• Post of the Week 1

Look, nobody hates Sam Darnold. But praising him for not saying anything bad about the franchise or "being a class act" is really damning with faint praise. His demeanor off the field was a bland as it was on the field. And, safe to say, he inspired NOBODY on the Jets that last year. 

And I still kinda hold it against him getting mononucleosis, kinda lame.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Bottom line is that Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen would still be the Jets QB if they were drafted instead of Darnold.

Im not a fan of his style of play, but Lamar Jackson too.

Zero chance Mayfield would have succeeded here.  He was terrible his first few season both on and off the field.  And the jury is still out weather he's anything more then a game manager on a loaded team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

What I saw from Darnold that I didn't like was a lack of passion. It seemed to me that he was entitled to be the Jets starter. And in every single "match up" game, where he went against other QBs drafted in his class, he just looked bored and unaffected while getting beat. And, in year 3, he was making the same mistakes he made in year 1. Not sad to see him go. 

Agree with most of what you said.  But in terms of looking bored or disinterested a lot of the time, I just think that's his personality and how he goes about things.  Some guys are just unemotional.  Look at Todd Bowles.  Heck, Jay Cutler seemed like he was stoned half the time.

But your point about making the same mistakes in his third season as his first is the key one.  That's why the Jets and our fans lost confidence in him I think.  We all know he has talent, has an arm, can play the game.... but the mechanics and decision-making never seemed to get better in the three years he was here.  The Jets had to decide if they'd give a 3rd coach a shot at getting Darnold right or if they'd move on.  They moved on.  Despite the early scorecard I still think it was the right decision.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Look, nobody hates Sam Darnold. But praising him for not saying anything bad about the franchise or "being a class act" is really damning with faint praise. His demeanor off the field was a bland as it was on the field. And, safe to say, he inspired NOBODY on the Jets that last year. 

And I still kinda hold it against him getting mononucleosis, kinda lame.

There are a ton of people, especially in pro sports, who do not act with class, so it is what it is.

Blaming a guy for getting a viral infection is kind of odd.  I got pneumonia, and missed 2 weeks of work, should my co workers blame me?

I do think Sam will do better with a fresh start, sometimes a situation goes so sour it becomes impossible to succeed there.   I don't think he will become an MVP type QB, but I could see him having a decent career for himself.   If Eli could win 2 rings (also not an emotional guy) and Joe Flacco can win a ring, Sam could get there, more due to the team around him.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Icer said:

I would like to root for him but I made alot of posts talking about how he sucked and it would look bad if someone started necroing threads.?

But he did suck here.  That's an objective truth.  Even when removing the other variables from the equation, he was objectively bad at football for 3 years.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Some people think rookie quarterbacks play defense.

no but in there first ever game most do score many points.

58 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

And ask Aaron Rodgers how it turned out going up against that guy who threw all those interceptions

excuses in 3,2….

excuses? nah.... just one is a HOF QB , 3 time MVP and the other is that guy with all those INTs.

no matter how you spin it that was a fluke win by the Saints. but you knew that.

1 hour ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

I have no axe to grind with Darnold. Good for him that he is playing well and winning.

Nothing that I have seen leads to me to believe that he is the next Brett Farve. In other words, I would not plan to see him play in the Super Bowl. It would not surprise to see Mayfield, Allen or Jackson in the big game someday. Even when they were bad there were still signs of good.

I don't know what you're even talking about. I don't see anyone making claims that Darnold is the next anyone or that he'll be playing in the Super Bowl any time soon. All I've said is that he's played better with a better surrounding cast and that his team is 2-0. Are you disputing any of what I've said or just arguing some strawman?

IMO Mayfield, Allen & Jackson all would have been failures here during the timeframe Darnold was here because the supporting cast and coaching staffs were garbage. Do you really think Adam Gase and his staff would have been able to build an offense around Jackson the way the Ravens have?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes, the narrative changes.  First it is Danold is the worst Qb in the league the jets will beat Carolina.  Then it start to morph into carolina not playing anyone good.

Then it is sammy will throw three picks this next game!

Darnold was not good here but the crowd that ignored the fact that the jets had the worst coaching in the league, no oline, no wrs, no Tes and a soso defense as to part of the reason he stunk were and are out to lunch. 

The proof is in the pudding.

No one ignored these factors.  They just hoped that in spite of this, a # 3 overall pick would look like one of the best players on the field from time to time.  He didn't.  More often, Darnold was one of the worst players on the field, on his way to two QB32 finishes and one QB36 finish.  No one who made an honest assessment of Darnold over his 38 starts here could say with a straight face that he looked like a good QB out there.  He looked like a bottom 3rd QB in the league, a range in which I imagine he'll still end up finishing when the 2021 season concludes.

The Jets doing Darnold no favors doesn't mean Darnold does not get a large chunk of blame for sucking.  And even while he's played well so far this year (and he did have some games where he played well in New York, so that's not earth-shattering to see), he's still made some boneheaded decisions out there (like fumbling into his fullback in Week 1, in the red zone) and left points on the field (by missing wide open receivers in the end zone).  That will not bode well for him in the final 15 games.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

True.  But those sounded like.... excuses. ?   Like him not having weapons last year, a bad coach, a bad OLine.  If excuses aren't acceptable one way then we can't really use them the other.  As Bill Parcells would say, "You are what your record says you are."  Here Darnold was insufferably bad.  In Carolina so far, undefeated.  He is who he is and if two billion-dollar NFL franchises haven't been able to field a team to be him yet... so be it.

IMO Sam is who I've always thought he was, a middle of the pack NFL starting QB.  Not Top 10, not Bottom 10.  He typically plays to the level of coaching a talent that he's surrounded by.  That's what happened here, that's what's happening there.

cant argue with the middle of the road stuff. i think that too.

and i disagree with Parcells comment. not all 3-0 records are the same. thats the point of my post. beating two QBs starting there 1st ever game on not so great rosters and a guy in Winston who is streaky at best isnt the same as beating good teams like Clev, Dallas, or Buffalo

and i doubt those teams would spot Sam 16-0 and 17-0 leads at the half.

the Sam fans where laughing at us saying ... look how good he is, see we should have kept him. im just saying take it with a grain of salt cause the opponents weren't that good. like you said hes Middle of the road and those teams he should have beat.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, doitny said:

nah, Houston sucks. 

its next week against Dallas where Sam will have his first real test

Agreed.  He'll more than likely get to 3-0 tonight but next Sunday...in Dallas on the road...THAT is where we find out who Sam Darnold really is since he no longer will have the "Lack of Talent and Coaching" excuse to use.    If he can pull off a win there, I'd be very impressed.

10 hours ago, doitny said:

no Sam will play good and all were going to hear is how the Jets made a mistake and should have kept him.

and that's why i root against him. dont like hearing announcers or anybody sh*t on my team,

I mute the announcers myself 'cause all they do is say sh-t just to get people pissed off at them and watch their sh-tty product.

2 hours ago, KO91 said:

Give me a break. The kid was a class act here. I’m happy to see him doing well. 

Apparently, being a class act is considered "having no passion" for the game.   You learn something new every day, it seems.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold was not good here but the crowd that ignored the fact that the jets had the worst coaching in the league, no oline, no wrs, no Tes and a soso defense as to part of the reason he stunk were and are out to lunch. 

The proof is in the pudding.

There is no QB drafted within 2 years of Darnold who would have succeeded in that situation.   No line, multiple offenses, no WR, 38 year old Frank Gore.   Not Watson, not even Mahomes.

I don't know if Darnold will be good somewhere else, but a fresh start is needed by him, and he is still really young.  At the time of the draft, I wanted the huge trade back and roll with Sam for 1 more year, but I always want the huge trade back in the draft.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There is no QB drafted within 2 years of Darnold who would have succeeded in that situation.   No line, multiple offenses, no WR, 38 year old Frank Gore.   Not Watson, not even Mahomes.

Pat Mahomes would have still been a top 5 QB in the NFL with the Jets in 2020.  Stop it with this.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So because past GM's have historically sucked at drafting in the 2nd round, it's totally fine for us to pick later.  Go Sweet Sammy go!  Prove those haters wrong! 

I'm not saying you're a hater. I just wish Sam Darnold well in Carolina. I'm a Jets fan and I'm happy to start over (reset) with Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pat Mahomes would have still been a top 5 QB in the NFL with the Jets in 2020.  Stop it with this.  

You really think Mahomes, with Gase over Andy Reid, Herndon over Kelce, Jets WR over Hill is still a top 5 QB?

Not getting to learn for a year with Alex Smith, but starting day 1, with that collection of garbage, and that O Line.

Agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

You really think Mahomes, with Gase over Andy Reid, Herndon over Kelce, Jets WR over Hill is still a top 5 QB?

Not getting to learn for a year with Alex Smith, but starting day 1, with that collection of garbage, and that O Line.

Agree to disagree.

Absolutely.  He is a special QB.  There's a reason Andy Reid traded up for him even though he had Alex Smith at QB (and Smith had just posted a career year). 

JN may laugh now about the idea of Smith being a legit reason for Reid to pass on taking a QB for at least another year, but at the time, a lot of people here criticized that pick.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely.  He is a special QB.  There's a reason Andy Reid traded up for him even though he had Alex Smith at QB (and Smith had just posted a career year). 

JN may laugh now about the idea of Smith being a legit reason for Reid to pass on taking a QB for at least another year, but at the time, a lot of people here criticized that pick.

The Grass is always Greener.

Sorry but just because Mahomes ended up the way he did in KC doesn't guarantee he would end up the same way, had he been in NY.

This whole notion that he could take that sad-sack-of-a-team in 2020 and make it work, is just ludicrous and pure Homer-istic thinking.

That team wasn't winning SH*T no matter who the QB was.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Vin said:

The Grass is always Greener.

Sorry but just because Mahomes ended up the way he did in KC doesn't guarantee he would end up the same way, had he been in NY.

This whole notion that he could take that sad-sack-of-a-team in 2020 and make it work, is just ludicrous and pure Homer-istic thinking.

That team wasn't winning SH*T no matter who the QB was.  

I never said he'd end up the same way here as he did in KC.  He's an MVP, 50+TD guy and SB winner in KC.  I'm merely saying he'd be top 5, not the clear # 1.  And I never said he'd win anything.  My guess is we'd probably have been about an 8-8 team with Mahomes at QB in 2020.

And I'm one of the last people on JN to be calling a homer, so you can take that sh*t up with someone else.  It's about Mahomes being that good and Darnold being that bad that makes the difference. 

And if you can't watch those 2 QB's play, see the difference, and determine Mahomes would be elite anywhere then I don't know what to tell you.  It's a vast difference.