JD/Saleh...Trouble ahead?

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

By Saleh not finding a way to play Mims, he is basically indicting JD's drafting of Mims in the 2nd round as a poor pick...JD can't be happy with this intransigence by Saleh and the rather curious and unconvincing explanations given by Saleh as to why Mims is a healthy scratch and the rather bleak prospect of Mims finding the field anytime soon given the imminent return of Crowder ...looks like there will be trouble ahead with their working relationship.

Nah

Move along

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

By Saleh not finding a way to play Mims, he is basically indicting JD's drafting of Mims in the 2nd round as a poor pick...JD can't be happy with this intransigence by Saleh and the rather curious and unconvincing explanations given by Saleh as to why Mims is a healthy scratch and the rather bleak prospect of Mims finding the field anytime soon given the imminent return of Crowder ...looks like there will be trouble ahead with their working relationship.

1st point.

if they thought so highly of Mims then why sign Cole for the 2nd outside WR slot? well they all compete and apparently Cole beat Mims out. i dont believe Cole signed a one year contract to be on the bench. he had alot of offers if i remember right and picked us. probably cause he figure he could win the WR2 spot better here then other places.

2nd point

Berrios has replace Mims. what if he has a good year and Mims sits for most of the year. 

do you know what they both have in common? JD brought them both here. so kill JD for Mims but will you give him credit for finding Berrios? 

except for a few guys this is all JDs players. so if one sits as long as the other plays good, who cares.

and how can JD argue with the system that you have to earn playing time. no special privilege's for draft picks. it make us look good around the league to other players. do you think Cole signs here if hes told Mims is guaranteed the starting WR spot. so he has to battle Davis for the other and the loser sits on the bench. i bet not.

do you know how great it looks that  Berrios a 2019 wavier claim can work hard and move up the depth chart to be the #1 guy off the bench. even at the expense of a high draft pick. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like when you are a GM and you give your coaching staff a bunch of highly-drafted players and those players either disappear or look like sh*t, I believe that might cause some problems in the old friction department, yeah.

No no no, don’t you dare criticize Adam Gase’s hand-picked yes-man.  They love him in these parts.  

And he drafted one fine punter, umm hmm.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

This is an extreme stretch.

leg stretch GIF

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like when you are a GM and you give your coaching staff a bunch of highly-drafted players and those players either disappear or look like sh*t, I believe that might cause some problems in the old friction department, yeah.

Nothing a little K-Y or Astroglide can't solve.  

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

... or Mims was drafted for a different coach's system and JD and Saleh came together to recognize that and that his effort in practice was suspect. 

But dont let me get in the way of your drama. 

Jd drafted him ...  for a lame duck coachs system.  That is a straight indictment.   When your team has NO talent,  you have all hands on deck....  df you talkin abt?   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

Jd drafted him ...  for a lame duck coachs system.  That is a straight indictment.   When your team has NO talent,  you have all hands on deck....  df you talkin abt?   

Gase was only a lame duck in the fans eyes. If he would have had a winning season, he would have still been here. 

JD drafted the guy for Gase because that's what GMs are supposed to do. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Personally he looked unmotivated as sh*t to me when we saw the draft video of him answering JDs call. I dont remember him crying, getting excited, or anything.

I noticed the same thing, and was curious if he was excited to play for us. While I'm a very rah-rah kind of person when it comes to sports, I've played softball for over 30 years and have played with some very quiet people, and wouldn't kick them off the team for that reason alone, especially if you see the talent, which I would say most of us have seen in Mims... This one has most of us scratching our heads... 

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I noticed the same thing, and was curious if he was excited to play for us. While I'm a very rah-rah kind of person when it comes to sports, I've played softball for over 30 years and have played with some very quiet people, and wouldn't kick them off the team for that reason alone, especially if you see the talent, which I would say most of us have seen in Mims... This one has most of us scratching our heads... 

Again, theres no reason to scratch your head. You're just refusing to listen to what the coaches have more or less directly told you. 

He is unmotivated and/or unwilling to learn the offense. 

It really begins and ends there. But Jets fans gonna Jet. 

• Post of the Week 1

JD should have stuck to where he was and drafted Claypool.  

He should have also known that, with a 6 year contract, he should have been building the OL.  Problem was that he thought he had that covered with GVR, Fant, McGovern and Lewis so he did not have to draft OL.  He could instead draft Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan, and then Clark.  

By all rights Cameron Clark should be able to play RG for the Jets.  He was picked before Onwenu.   But at this point, it was a terrible pick.   Lewis should have been able to play RG better than GVR, but his head is not there.   So JD should have pushed the panic button when it became apparent that neither Lewis or Clark was going to supplant GVR at RG.   That is basically what he did with Shaq Lawson with Carl Lawson went down, and it appears that actually worked.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Again, theres no reason to scratch your head. You're just refusing to listen to what the coaches have more or less directly told you. 

He is unmotivated and/or unwilling to learn the offense. 

It really begins and ends there. But Jets fans gonna Jet. 

Well, sorry but on this one the coaches are wrong... He's the 2nd/3rd best receiver on the team behind Davis/Crowder at the moment, and you don't have to be a football expert to see that from last year. He makes catches, that's pretty much all he does when the ball is thrown his way. I could care less if he doesn't know how to be a slot receiver. He's not a slot receiver. I like Saleh, but he's being stubborn here because it should be Davis/Mims on the outsides, and Crowder/Moore in the slot.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, undertow said:

Or maybe like an adult JD is able to admit his mistakes and realizes Denzel Mims sucks unlike the fanbase who is obsessed with yet another 2nd round bust.

Or, maybe, a WR needs more than 1 shortened offseason, 1 normal offseason, and 2 games to be able to beet out some veterans. He was raw coming out of college - not a great route runner - maybe we give the coaching staff a few more games to write him off entirely - then he can come in - catch 2 TDs and we can skip the rest of the season and put him in the HOF.

16 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Well, sorry but on this one the coaches are wrong... He's the 2nd/3rd best receiver on the team behind Davis/Crowder at the moment, and you don't have to be a football expert to see that from last year. He makes catches, that's pretty much all he does when the ball is thrown his way. I could care less if he doesn't know how to be a slot receiver. He's not a slot receiver. I like Saleh, but he's being stubborn here because it should be Davis/Mims on the outsides, and Crowder/Moore in the slot.

This may have been true last year, but the WRs are much better this year. This coach is making a stand, study, prepare, and practice and give 100% or you don't play. If we loose Mims because he won't step and do what the coaches want, then it will be worth it in the long haul. Saleh (or someone else, can't remember) came out and said Mims had his best practice of the week last week, so maybe he is trying and growing. Winning, especially early on, isn't as important as getting the players on board, IMO - I would expect that Mims will be playing within the next few weeks - but if he needs another year - so be it. 

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

This is getting painful, you are just making sh*t up to create controversy. We understand Mims is not on the field as much as we would like to see, but for once can we please exercise some patience. I am not just talking about Mims but the situation we are in as a team. Saleh and his staff are trying to create  a foundation to build on. They know what the Jets were and they got rid of players that don’t fit their vision for the team. 

This is what needs to happen,  whether it works or not is up to Saleh and his staff. I know we have heard the rebuild story many times, unfortunately,  but this is the beginning as it appears management is letting Saleh build a team with players that fit what his vision is for this team. If you are expecting immediate results I think your in for a disappointing season. I just want to see progress, which will take more than two games, we are ready to trade Wilson for Watson, create a imaginary riff between Saleh and JD, and label our QB a bust. The defense looks way better than expected the Offense needs obvious work. We are getting players back from injuries COVID etc. This team will hopefully find its rhythm, how long that takes, who knows. 

We have many holes on this team and we all have our opinion on what the Jets should do. I agree Mims should have a role on the offense, but I don’t know what is happening behind the scenes.

Wilson will be fine he is trying to do too much but you can see he has the potential other previous Jets  QB’s did not. Saleh said it from day one this is going to be ugly at times and it has been and that’s the reality. So far in my opinion it appears he has the resilience to face diversity to this point. Wilson reminds me of guys who you knew can contribute and  have what it takes to be apart of your unit but is still just a kid chomping at the bit that needs to pay his dues and needs to be directed appropriately, and that comes with time. The hype around this kid comparing him to some of the best QB’s past and present just set up unrealistic expectations for Jets fans year one. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

No. Pretty much all he does is ride the bench.

They never insinuated he wasnt willing to play slot, and that's never been the argument. The argument is that he cant learn the route tree of the position he is actually in. 

Theres a big difference. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

It took Corey Davis awhile to get going.  Next year Cole and Crowder are gone.  Mims should be on a slow plan. 

It's too early to tell if the interest level in bringing back either one (though I'd agree bringing back both seems a long shot, with the way Berrios is emerging, but Berrios is due to become a UFA as well). 

It'll be interesting to see if Douglas follows his idiotic predecessor in waiting too long to enter negotiations with players he'd like to keep. No more than one of those two receivers, if even that, but there are others who should be addressed before the players are fully in the drivers' seats. So far the only player he's extended early has been Ryan Griffin :bag:. That one was a head-scratcher; I know he had a few games with 50+ yards, but was someone else really going to outbid $3.6MM/year for him starting with his age-30 season? And if someone else did, so what? You get in early for bargains, where you've got a good chance of saving a bundle, not just for the sake of getting in early.

Once there aren't any (or many) games left this year, the injury risk is gone (or nearly gone) so there's no incentive for a young starter to re-sign before March unless there are way-overboard extensions offered last minute to keep them from testing FA. That's how it ends up costing $8MM/yr to bring back Winters or $9MM/yr to re-sign Enunwa; or as Douglas saw firsthand, $6MM/yr to bring back a guy like Alex Lewis who only cost a future conditional 7th to acquire the prior August.

Lots of current starters here: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-york-jets/

Some should be replaced/upgraded, of course, but not all of them. 

1 hour ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Hard to imagine , that intelligent people dont see this  ,, but maybe intelligence ,,, nvmd

thats because once you take a position you cant or wont change your mind

once you cross the Hater line and hate JD then you got to justify your position. even if that make you look dumb.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

all he does is make catches? maybe thats what you think you see on TV but the stats dont back it.

Mims catch percentage last year was 52.3 % on 23 catches. that mean he caught about half the catches thrown to him.

Berrios led the team with 67.3 % on 37 catches

Crowder was next at 66.3%

im just curious what you seen in his 2-3 catches per game? cause the stats don't back your claim.

between the media and the fans making such a big deal out of this that when he does get on the field he will have tremendous pressure on him to be our savior. and hes probably not going to respond well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jago said:

judgement aside of the pick of mims, is it possible the HC and org is trying to set a high standard of preparation? would that not be a good thing?
is this not the "culture change" we all so hungered for?

Don't you know JN is full of NFL scouts and sports psychologists?  They know every detail of Mims and know he is a sure fire Pro-Bowler this season.  If only the coaches would set him free.  He's a peacock, they gotta let him fly!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, doitny said:

all he does is make catches? maybe thats what you think you see on TV but the stats dont back it.

Mims catch percentage last year was 52.3 % on 23 catches. that mean he caught about half the catches thrown to him.

Berrios led the team with 67.3 % on 37 catches

Crowder was next at 66.3%

im just curious what you seen in his 2-3 catches per game? cause the stats don't back your claim.

between the media and the fans making such a big deal out of this that when he does get on the field he will have tremendous pressure on him to be our savior. and hes probably not going to respond well.

52%?  not the guy that catches everything  !  Not the proven physically gifted speed demon who uses his height to out jump defenders like no other receiver before him.   Unbelievable !!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

Saleh has not been impressive

His mama has been giving him tips, lol:

Cute story from Robert Saleh: He said his mother, who doesn't know much about football, offered advice after Sunday's loss. Saleh: "She'll probably kill me. God bless my mother. (She speaks) broken English, doesn't even know how many yards to get a first down, but she was coaching me up on what we should tell our receivers." He didn't say what that was. "I was a little upset at the time," he said, "so I'm not sure I took it all in."

?