Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Some good points but where I disagree is how you build a team. I think you can just "build" one not "rebuild" it at times. This is essentially what Tanny did to get us to the AFC Championship twice. It wasnt all young guys that grew up in the Jets, it was a nice healthy mix of FA veteran signings in there as well. I just reject this notion you need to blow it up and be complete garbage for multiple years to be good. We often trash "over the hill" FA's but literally the only enjoyable year watching the Jets in the last decade was 2015 when we went 10-6, barely missing the playoffs. I just think we are to sold to this idea of young talent being the golden ticket. 

Maybe I'm wrong but ya gotta start winning some football games eventually...

I get it and it’s true…we can’t just keep NOT winning. The problem with 2015 was and would still be the aftermath. That team fell apart so quick early in 2016 and we were unable to have any flexibility to improve until years later. Too much $ on the books, and not enough young guys getting reps to develop + the poor drafting (which is a separate issue).

The difference between what Tanny did in 2009-2011 vs 2015 and what we have now is….they had a young core that was built up through a rebuild.

Revis, Mangold, Brick, Leon, Keller, Brad Smith, even Kerry Rhodes. We had young guys who developed for a few years and were entering their prime when we added those vets to help balance us and boost us up.

We’re not there yet. This is our 2006/2007 year with a lot of what is supposed to be our core.

I know it sucks, trust me. I just don’t see any quick alternatives to the promised land.

Next year we have all of these extra picks for a reason:

- Build up the core the first 3 seasons  

- Develop or Secure your long term QB

- When they are entering prime or close to, then spend in free agency to really put you over the top.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get it and it’s true…we can’t just keep NOT winning. The problem with 2015 was and would still be the aftermath. That team fell apart so quick early in 2016 and we were unable to have any flexibility to improve until years later. Too much $ on the books, and not enough young guys getting reps to develop + the poor drafting (which is a separate issue).

The difference between what Tanny did in 2009-2011 vs 2015 and what we have now is….they had a young core that was built up through a rebuild.

Revis, Mangold, Brick, Leon, Keller, Brad Smith, even Kerry Rhodes. We had young guys who developed for a few years and were entering their prime when we added those vets to help balance us and boost us up.

We’re not there yet. This is our 2006/2007 year with a lot of what is supposed to be our core.

I know it sucks, trust me. I just don’t see any quick alternatives to the promised land.

Next year we have all of these extra picks for a reason:

- Build up the core the first 3 seasons  

- Develop or Secure your long term QB

- When they are entering prime or close to, then spend in free agency to really put you over the top.

I hear ya. But 2006 we were in the playoffs, had a bad year in 2007 and went 9-7 in 2008. This just feels more Kotite type years of bad football, to the point its not enjoyable. They are giving the Broncos 10.5 points this week. Thats insane. 

Maybe we will get better as the season progresses, I dont know. I also think some people see those picks in glee as we are set. We have seen to many times picks go sideways. I just think building this way is SUPER risky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First few games with a new QB don't tell you anything about what the future holds.

Sanchez started 3-0

Geno started 2-1

Fitz started 2-1

McCown started 1-2

Darnold started 1-2

... and I'm seeing a trend here. :-( 

Point is, nothing we see now is going to tell us what the future holds. But despite that, if Wilson had started 3-0 we would be shouting down anyone who says play offs is still ambitious, and if he starts 0-3 we'll be shouting down anyone who says we need to be patient, or anyone who says we need to trade him / fire JD / clear house etc.

One game at a time - the bigger picture will need to wait a while before it starts to emerge. A win in Denver or a loss in Denver isn't going to change the narrative all that much. 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slats said:

This is a great thread, primarily because of the title. This way I can merge all of the little Kevin rants in one convenient place in the future. 

That would certainly clear up a lot of board space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I hear ya. But 2006 we were in the playoffs, had a bad year in 2007 and went 9-7 in 2008. This just feels more Kotite type years of bad football, to the point its not enjoyable. They are giving the Broncos 10.5 points this week. Thats insane. 

Maybe we will get better as the season progresses, I dont know. I also think some people see those picks in glee as we are set. We have seen to many times picks go sideways. I just think building this way is SUPER risky. 

To be fair - this is not even close to the Kotite years. Your frustrated as many of us are - but I do believe by mid season the tone around here will be different. Not saying that equates to wins which was understood before this season began, but you will see a positive difference.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

You know...am I to negative? I heard that a few times on here. So I thought to myself, am I? 

Maybe, but maybe here is why. In the last 10 years we are on our 3rd, count em 3rd rebuild. Idzik had one, failed, Mac had one, failed, now JD has one. I mean WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!!! I mean he has a nice bald head and looks like Sal the guy at your local butcher, he obviously is better then the nerdy looking ones!!! 

So as I did with Mac, I questioned some roster moves. I saw us one by one give away playmakers and replace them with one year guys who had a good "value" and guess WHAT, many ended up playing like garbage. We all thought we are smart, CAP SPACE BRO, DRAFT CAPITAL BRO, you know when draft capital matters? WHEN YOU HIT ON YOUR PICKS!! THE 2020 CLASS IS A DISASTER!

OHHHHH but dont worry Kevin, the CAP SPACE!! LOOOK AT IT! We can address the line with it!! Lines still a mess!! A complete and utter mess! Becton will play at best 3-5 games a year, kid cant stay healthy. We start over again on the line.

OHHHH look how smart we are, we didn't pay Robbie!! Robbie is going off getting 54 yard TD bombs on us BUT WE THINK WE ARE SMART. I mean we got Berrios BRO! My goodness, which brings me to the guy who threw the pass. If you were on this forum you think Sam Darnold couldn't throw a pass! WE CELEBRATED THE TRADE!! YAYYYY WE ARE SMART AGAIN. Sam is about to be 3-0 when he beats the Texans with solid stats and fresh off a win BEATING US! BUT WE ARE SMART. SAM STINKS!!!! 

This brings me to our NEW LOOK OFFENSE...OOOOO AHHH. A guy with a famous last name to boot!! WE ARE SMART! WE JUST SCORED 6 POINTS AND GOT OUR DOORS BLOWN OFF 25-6 AT HOME. 

Guys on here trash Rex and other former coaches, BUT I DO ANNYTHING TO be JUST Competitive again, let alone 2 AFC Championship trips. Who knew Rex and Tanny be as good as it gets around here. Heres to another year of getting bombed in the 300s watching awful football. GREAT GUYS!! WE ARE SMART THO!!!! 

IS THIS REBUILDING OR JUST BAD FOOTBALL. Stop with the excuses. I need a cup of coffee. 

Thanks for hearing me out...

yeah you are a hater. lol

i get the history we have. i lived it too. but nobody is waving a magic wand to turn us into contenders overnight. if you cant give a GM 2nd draft class at least a year on the field then why even bother being a fan. 

the 2020 draft isnt looking good but i still think we could get Mims ,Davis and Becton. but even if it does suck what happens if 2021 is good. will you change your attitude or are you too far gone hating that you cant come back. 

and does our bald headed butcher get any love if Ty Johnson plays well. he did bring him here. or do PS pickups and UDFA dont count. 

and everyone needs to calm down on Wilson. its only 2 games. one good one bad.

and Robbie Anderson. yeah last year was really good but his reunion with Sam isn't off to such a great start. 4 Rec 95yds and 1 TD. hes catching 44 % of the throws to him. we use to joke that Robbie was sad that Sam went to Carolina cause he had his worst seasons with Sam. its only 2 games but you want to play this game so im playing it.

Sam Darnold- are you really serious about this? he beat 2 teams or will beat 2 teams who have a QB staring there FIRST EVER NFL GAME. and we started 6 or 7 rookies. he better won those games. and the Saints who are not the same team without Drew Brees. 

lets see what he does against the better teams. teams that wont spot him a 16-0 or 17-0 halftime lead. that sh*t wont fly with Tom Brady, Dak Prescott, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray.

Tanny was the best GM we had. he built those AFCCG teams. he should have stuck around to rebuild it. if hw could find the Bricks, Mangolds and Revises then he could find them again. but Woody listens to a fan base that overreacts WAY too much.

when you have 12 rookies on your roster with 6 starting, youngest team in the league. and you QB and CS are all rookies.... yeah thats a rebuild. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trotter said:

To be fair - this is not even close to the Kotite years. Your frustrated as many of us are - but I do believe by mid season the tone around here will be different. Not saying that equates to wins which was understood before this season began, but you will see a positive difference.

We will see. We won 2 games last year. Under kotite in one of them we won 3 (more)

Lets see what our win total is this year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

We will see. We won 2 games last year. Under kotite in one of them we won 3 (more)

Lets see what our win total is this year 

Last year is not the focus. It was a disaster and we all know that but that regime is gone. Yes the GM is here but this is more about the current coaching staff since you are relating to Kotite. Don't get hung up on wins for this year. Look for growth from the staff and the younger players. Many might not like that answer, but that is how this will be built. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time you rebuild it must take patience.  The first time, Idzik drafted terrible.  But we let him go before he could even get a chance to get it.  Then we let Mac have 5 years.  He might have needed 7-8 as a first time GM/cleaning up the mess Idzik made.   But he didn't get it, and probably shouldn't have.

Now you have JD, another first time GM, who for his first two years was handcuffed by Adam Gase, who quite possibly was in charge, until he wasn't.  The first time GM then hired a first time coach, who then picked a first time OC, and a first time DC.  Do you not think this could take a bit of time, which of course you don't want to hear because you are tired of waiting?

DIFFERENCE THIS TIME (PERHAPS):  Douglas played football, and then worked his way up in the industry on winning franchises.  Saleh, Lafleur, Ulbrich....all around the game their whole lives.  But even coming from a winning franchise means it takes time to gel all these personalities.  We are talking about having two drafts, one in which was during a global pandemic.  How about we let this play out for a couple of years, and see what we have?  If you don't have the patience, I might suggest leaving for a year.  I watched a total of two games last year, and it was wonderful to step back and not care for awhile, knowing we were going to suck.  Guess what?  We are going to suck for at least another year.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

You know...am I to negative? I heard that a few times on here. So I thought to myself, am I? 

Maybe, but maybe here is why. In the last 10 years we are on our 3rd, count em 3rd rebuild. Idzik had one, failed, Mac had one, failed, now JD has one. I mean WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!!! I mean he has a nice bald head and looks like Sal the guy at your local butcher, he obviously is better then the nerdy looking ones!!! 

So as I did with Mac, I questioned some roster moves. I saw us one by one give away playmakers and replace them with one year guys who had a good "value" and guess WHAT, many ended up playing like garbage. We all thought we are smart, CAP SPACE BRO, DRAFT CAPITAL BRO, you know when draft capital matters? WHEN YOU HIT ON YOUR PICKS!! THE 2020 CLASS IS A DISASTER!

OHHHHH but dont worry Kevin, the CAP SPACE!! LOOOK AT IT! We can address the line with it!! Lines still a mess!! A complete and utter mess! Becton will play at best 3-5 games a year, kid cant stay healthy. We start over again on the line.

OHHHH look how smart we are, we didn't pay Robbie!! Robbie is going off getting 54 yard TD bombs on us BUT WE THINK WE ARE SMART. I mean we got Berrios BRO! My goodness, which brings me to the guy who threw the pass. If you were on this forum you think Sam Darnold couldn't throw a pass! WE CELEBRATED THE TRADE!! YAYYYY WE ARE SMART AGAIN. Sam is about to be 3-0 when he beats the Texans with solid stats and fresh off a win BEATING US! BUT WE ARE SMART. SAM STINKS!!!! 

This brings me to our NEW LOOK OFFENSE...OOOOO AHHH. A guy with a famous last name to boot!! WE ARE SMART! WE JUST SCORED 6 POINTS AND GOT OUR DOORS BLOWN OFF 25-6 AT HOME. 

Guys on here trash Rex and other former coaches, BUT I DO ANNYTHING TO be JUST Competitive again, let alone 2 AFC Championship trips. Who knew Rex and Tanny be as good as it gets around here. Heres to another year of getting bombed in the 300s watching awful football. GREAT GUYS!! WE ARE SMART THO!!!! 

IS THIS REBUILDING OR JUST BAD FOOTBALL. Stop with the excuses. I need a cup of coffee. 

Thanks for hearing me out...

So in all of your dozens of posts all you do is complain.  How about you answer a few questions about what you suggest the Jets do to be competitive?  It is easy to point out perceived problems, but it takes some thought and knowledge to provide some solutions.

1.  What should be the Jets' plan to become a competitive team?  Tell us your plan, including free agent signings (realistic), draft picks, front office hires, coaches etc.  

2. Should the Jets fire Douglas?  If so, who should replace him?

3. Should the Jets fire Saleh after 2 games?  

4. Who do you think the Jets should have hired as GM and HC so that they would be competitive this year?

5. Who are these "playmakers" that the Jets traded or cut that would actually make the Jets competitive this season and going forward?  You have not named one yet.  Adams? (Really? - a box safety would make this team competitive?). Williams?  Anderson? (Is he really better than Davis or Moore?). 

6. You keep bringing up 2015 as being so enjoyable.  Missing the playoffs by one game is what you strive for?  And what exactly did that season bring you and us fans from 2016 on? Anything that was lasting?  What was there in 2015 to build upon ?  

7 Who should be OC and DC?  What offense would you run?  

8. If Ryan is so wonderful, why is he in a TV studio instead of coaching?  Same with Tannenbaum. Why is he commenting on the NFL rather than working in the NFL?  Ryan never set foot in the offensive coaching room and it showed and Tannenbaum tried to build a team by trading up for one player per draft and throwing tons of money at 1-2 free agents a year. You don't win by adding 1-2 players a year.

 

Well.  We're waiting..........

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No Jets drafts have ever been good.  The closest to 'good' were when we had so many 1st round picks we had to hit on some, and we still didn't get the best players, or we lucked out and got Revis who dicked us around and won his title in NE.  None of our GM's have ever been good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...