PFF: Jets 10th ranked offensive line

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

It did look rock solid on Sunday. Against Carolina it was a whole other story

i wouldn't go so far as to say rock solid but they did look a lot better and it's even more impressive because people's favorite whippingboys, fant, mcgovern, van roten, were playing.  the patsie game was lost because lafleur didn't go away from the passing game enough and allowed wilson to take deep shots.  they needed way more play action, screens, slants.  then take the deep shots.

• Upvote 1

The running game looked legit this week. Zach may not have been mic’d up, but Belichick had him seeing ghosts. Why is this surprising? 

Obviously, Zach needs to bounce back, kinda like the way the OL and running game bounced back after week one. I feel oddly good about it. 

• Upvote 1

They had obvious problems running the ball week 1. By limiting the attempts to 17 rushes in week 1, it also put an artificial lid on showing how bad they were at it.

So there were nearly twice as many rushes in week 2, also for the same obvious reasoning.

They're getting over-ranked here. In reality, they had trouble running the ball in 50% of their games. But because they ran nearly twice as much in week 2, mathematically that gives the appearance that they had trouble more like 35% of the time than 50% of the time.

20 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Better without Becton.  Addition by subtraction.  How did we not grab the guy with the drive and work ethic to break Iowa's hang-clean record?  https://thespun.com/big-ten/iowa-hawkeyes/tristan-wirfs-hang-clean-record-iowa

LT is much different than RT. It's harder to play and it's more important to find a good one making the positional value much higher than RT. It's also easier to play OL when you have Brady at QB as opposed to a rookie in his first game. This is all obvious but needs to be repeated over and over.

Aside from that - the improvements week 2 had more to do with communication & knowing protections and schemes better than a different player at LT. Fant should hit the bench when Becton comes back.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

LT is much different than RT. It's harder to play and it's more important to find a good one making the positional value much higher than RT. It's also easier to play OL when you have Brady at QB as opposed to a rookie in his first game. This is all obvious but needs to be repeated over and over.

Aside from that - the improvements week 2 had more to do with communication & knowing protections and schemes better than a different player at LT. Fant should hit the bench when Becton comes back.

Agree. It doesn't make Becton better, but it's certainly not an apples to apples comparison. LT on the Jets is a taller order than RT on the Brady Bucs.

The only thing that helps Becton's pass-blocking ranking, compared to Wirfs, is the higher likelihood that someone else on the Jets' line will let a defender get to the QB before Becton's own protection breaks down. 

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Better without Becton.  Addition by subtraction.  How did we not grab the guy with the drive and work ethic to break Iowa's hang-clean record?  https://thespun.com/big-ten/iowa-hawkeyes/tristan-wirfs-hang-clean-record-iowa

Not to mention this: 

I said at the time that I would’ve taken Wirfs over Becton, but that’s me doing some silly five or ten minute YouTube, “research.” But I was happy with Douglas swinging for the fences with Becton, I do think if he can stay on the field that he can be a gold jacket guy. But he has to stay on the field. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I said at the time that I would’ve taken Wirfs over Becton, but that’s me doing some silly five or ten minute YouTube, “research.” But I was happy with Douglas swinging for the fences with Becton, I do think if he can stay on the field that he can be a gold jacket guy. But he has to stay on the field. 

Virtually everyone on this Board was happy with the highlights from Becton’s rookie year and were hoping that with an offseason training and conditioning program and some time to reflect Becton would back stronger and better his second year.

He appears to have left for the off season and lost his marbles and conditioning.