Am I alone in still being excited?

JohnnyLV

I am bummed byt optomistic. 

If Zach shows velocity on his throws this week I will be happier... but the consistant lolliops last week really got me down.

The rest of the team improved ... that was exciting.

Saleh ... Lafleur ... Neutral.

I expect to get crushed by Denver this week ... If Zach makes it out alive Ill be happy.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.

Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

But there were a lot of  positives Sunday

Our OL was noticeably better.

Our defense was decent to good.

Our secondary seems to be the least of our issues as opposed to the biggest

Special teams is solid

Ammendola missed a long one but seems like he could be a long term solution

We used Ty and MC1 more as it should be and ran well

I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.

Anyone else with me or am I just a hopeless homer?

yeah not really excited anymore

JD's 2020 draft is a kick in the nuts

Saleh and Mims situation is a kick in the nuts

JD's cheapness is a kick in the nuts

Wilson..... I am hopeful for but he got me nervous

• Upvote 2

I think the Jet X Factor guys really got this one right.  Wilson played poorly for sure.  But he was let down quite a bit by LaFleur's game plan and coaching.  They expected the Pats to go heavy blitz after Carolina got 6 sacks.  Instead Belichick rushed 4 most of the time leaving Zach with very few clean targets.  The run game was working.  Instead of forcing the Pats to put more men in the box, LaFleur kept trying for chunk plays that just weren't there.  Maybe an experienced QB would have audibled out of the play calls more...

• Upvote 2

I think its good therapy for jets fans to listen to Chris Simms latest podcasts where he talks Zach Wilson film breakdown. He broke down the Davis interception, and the one down the sideline that was going to Moore. In both cases the receivers kind of screwed him over, and his dumbness was not eating the ball…although he made the right read and decision. This to me sounds like a gelling thing, plus the running game is going to get going soon…Carter looked great….as did AVT.

and lets be honest….it wont take much to reignite the fan base….these guys just need to keep stacking reps and figuring out how to work together. I expect better quality football by mid season and into season season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.

Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

But there were a lot of  positives Sunday

Our OL was noticeably better.

Our defense was decent to good.

Our secondary seems to be the least of our issues as opposed to the biggest

Special teams is solid

Ammendola missed a long one but seems like he could be a long term solution

We used Ty and MC1 more as it should be and ran well

I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.

Anyone else with me or am I just a hopeless homer?

You’re kinda nuts and I don’t feel remotely excited. Yet,  I will defend your right to be excited with my life. 

• Upvote 1

I need to see Zach and the offense put together 4 decent quarters before I get even a little excited about this team.

The defense has honestly outperformed my expectations - mainly because I thought they were going to be awful. 

But the offense? Worse than I would have ever imagined, tbh

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is going to be a long year similar to last. The hope is Wilson looks good moving forward. The 2020 draft being a swing and a miss was close to a death blow. It's impossible to get better when you draft that poorly and honestly, a hard look at Douglas should happen this offseason. That draft was a must, he had months to prepare for it and he blew it. Totally unacceptable coming off the Maccgnan disaster.

You hope Moore, Carter, AVT start every game and produce. Moore needs to take a play to the house for me to get excited. The sharks are smelling blood right now and a rookie really, really needs to make a big play imo.

but what if the 2021 draft is a hit, do you still kill him for 2020. 

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The offense has scored like 20 points in two games.  My excitement is not high at all.

When the one site did the pre year win loss predictions and had the jets with a poor record but them scoring points i was happy enough with that scenario.

Yeah.  I'm pretty f**kin tired of the Jets always having a much better defense than offense.  As long as the offense lags behind the D like this I won't be excited.

• Upvote 1

I still think things look promising based on breakdowns I’ve watch (AVT for example) but I cannot watch this team. I was rushing home to watch the game (my wife was driving while I kept hitting refresh) and saw on my phone that Zach had thrown two INTs. I was like yea no... I didn’t watch the game.

Ill tune in for the first few minutes and if things go wrong early, I’m just turning off the tv. I suspect we will be much better by the end of the year. I just cannot watch poor football any more. I no longer have the emotional tolerance for it.

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

I hope this is true, but I'm really not sure we have any evidence to suggest this.

Also, it's very possible that Zach's overaggression is cluelessness.  Knowing vs. not knowing what to do with the football is actually a huge part of the job.  Most of it, even.

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I think its good therapy for jets fans to listen to Chris Simms latest podcasts where he talks Zach Wilson film breakdown. He broke down the Davis interception, and the one down the sideline that was going to Moore. In both cases the receivers kind of screwed him over, and his dumbness was not eating the ball…although he made the right read and decision. This to me sounds like a gelling thing, plus the running game is going to get going soon…Carter looked great….as did AVT.

and lets be honest….it wont take much to reignite the fan base….these guys just need to keep stacking reps and figuring out how to work together. I expect better quality football by mid season and into season season.

Link?

18 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I am still reasonably optimistic about the long term prospects of this regime.

I cannot say I am "excited" about watching the Jets this year. We're going to have another top 5 pick.

I am as well.

My expectation for the year was 5 wins, maybe 6.   The biggest thing was to see the rookies play well and improve, as well as the 2nd year players.   Since practically all the 2nd year guys are hurt, go rookies!

• Upvote 1

For over two decades, I coped being a Jets fan by hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

This has proven to be insufficient.

Now I just expect the worst.

The second I feel any tinge of hope, I crush that foolish emotion before it has a chance to spread. 

It's much better this way. 

10 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I hope this is true, but I'm really not sure we have any evidence to suggest this.

Also, it's very possible that Zach's overaggression is cluelessness.  Knowing vs. not knowing what to do with the football is actually a huge part of the job.  Most of it, even.

That is very possible with a rookie who only threw 800 passes in his entire college career.   This year is about how much he can learn and improve.  

Don't get me wrong, he can't go throwing 3-4 ints a game.

• Upvote 1

Game one Moore not making those two catches bummed me out.  I was expecting him to be a big difference maker.  Hope to see Zach and Moore really start connecting which opens things up for Davis and Mims.  Really want to see all 3 of them on the field and making D's pay.  If that happens I will be unbummed.  

• Upvote 1

I am not sure that excited is the right word.  I need to see some glimpses of really good play from this team in order to get excited.  Right now, it looks like we are in for yet another long season with a lot of bad football.  And the way they played in weeks 1 and 2 is nothing to get excited about.

That said, it is two weeks into our QBs NFL career as well as two weeks into our HC and OC careers in their current roles.  With a lot of other guys with two weeks NFL experience all over the roster.  I am willing to be patient (like I have a choice) and see how it all comes together over the next 15 weeks.  But I need to see at least some stretches of good play before I will get excited.

• Upvote 1