Am I alone in still being excited?

JohnnyLV

19 hours ago, derp said:

Each game is a small sample size, the first two were almost mirror images of each other and I’m not sure the Jets have played a good offense yet. I think one of the nice things about how different both games were is we’ve seen Wilson play well and the supporting cast play well so it’s not like any part of the team looks entirely incompetent.

I’m excited younger guys are playing. I think we’ll have a decent feel for what they’ve acquired the last couple of seasons by the end of the year and then the team has assets to build from there. Also excited there seem to be some decent players at non premium positions from later draft picks.

Guys need to emerge and play more consistently by the end of the year for me to be optimistic. There’s a chance that happens and a chance things get ugly. The big thing I was concerned about pre-draft was whether this was a suitable situation for a young QB and I’m not there yet. But if the OL can keep run blocking like last week I think it’ll be a big help.

We should be fine especially as the year goes on. It would be good if GVR as the weak link in the Oline can be upgraded as quickly as possible, but with Cam out, and Feeney more of a backup type, the only players we have ore PS guys that may not be ready to step into starters roles. Doubt if we make any trades for a G before end of Oct trade deadline, so unless a team releases a starting G we likely have to go with what we got and into next years offseason for FA/Draft/Trade G has to be probably top 2 as far as priority perhaps a 1A and 1B situation along with Edge rusher since if we can solve those 2 spots that greatly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses.  

24 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We should be fine especially as the year goes on. It would be good if GVR as the weak link in the Oline can be upgraded as quickly as possible, but with Cam out, and Feeney more of a backup type, the only players we have ore PS guys that may not be ready to step into starters roles. Doubt if we make any trades for a G before end of Oct trade deadline, so unless a team releases a starting G we likely have to go with what we got and into next years offseason for FA/Draft/Trade G has to be probably top 2 as far as priority perhaps a 1A and 1B situation along with Edge rusher since if we can solve those 2 spots that greatly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses.  

As I wrote earlier in the thread, the offensive line is the one area where the season is pretty much wasted. 

"I grow depressed watching the Jets field four starters on the offensive line who are unlikely to start for us next year.   They constitute wasted snaps which should have been given to a young draft pick.   Fant and McGovern are under contract but can be cheaply bought out and we will.  Moses will leave and GVR is a backup.  

Even if we still had Becton, Lewis, Clark and McDermott we would still be playing two guys - McGovern and Moses/Fant who are almost certainly goners.  We needed some more young talent and now we are caught short." 

I am not saying that this year's line will not improve or even play well.  That's not my point. 

Only that we are unlikely to keep Fant ($10 million - buyout $1 million) or McGovern ($10 million = buyout $1.3 million).  They might return but it is more likely they will sign with one of the other 31 teams.  Moses can leave and GVR is a backup.

We will have to add three decent draft picks next season at center, guard and RT.  Two of those players should have been added in this draft.  Just poor planning imo.  Remember, this is not LT.  These are 3d-5th round picks. 

PS - Grant Hermanns on the PS had a dynamite preseason and is a classic developmental project at RT.   

20 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.

Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

But there were a lot of  positives Sunday

Our OL was noticeably better.

Our defense was decent to good.

Our secondary seems to be the least of our issues as opposed to the biggest

Special teams is solid

Ammendola missed a long one but seems like he could be a long term solution

We used Ty and MC1 more as it should be and ran well

I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.

Anyone else with me or am I just a hopeless homer?

Good post!

Here's what I would say.... Jets fans have a different perspective than these new coaches and players.  Saleh, LaFleur, Zach, AVT, and about 30 other new coaches, rookies, and Free Agents are in YEAR 1.

For us Jets fans we call this "year 7 of the rebuild."  For the actual Jets.... they are in month 6 of their rebuild.  It's the first inning of the game for them.

The sausage never looks good when it's being ground and stuffed in the meatpacking plant.  It looks and smells downright disgusting.... but when it comes off the BBQ nice and hot, it's fantastic!  It's not fun but we need to be patient.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

One consistent thing I see in this thread is negativity on Zach. He showed a lot in the first game, why are people weighing game 2 so much more heavily than game 1. It is like all the ability and skill he showed in Game 1 and preseason is just completely discounted.

What is they don't know how to properly evaluate a young QB?

I'll take Jets Fandom: Anguish & Misery for 400 Alex.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Shanahans first two years in frisco 6-10 and 4-12. So, at least Saleh has some familiarity with coaching through losing seasons and can use what he learned to keep the team focused on improving as this will undoubtedly be a 4 to 6 (at best) win season.

CJ Beatherd and Nick Mullens say hi. 

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much this. I'd be happy with this iteration of the "rebuild" if the 2020 draft wasnt completely boned. It's the same sh*t. GM's who have no idea how to identify players. 

Yeah, and I hate to sound like an apologist, but I think it was the first draft he ran, and during the most ****ed year in a long time. The latter rounds are certainly disappointing while the first two have tons of talent and issues, but it's early in year two for them. MB definitely is looking bad with the TB RT (Wirfs?) looking great, and not being injured consistently. If things don't get better I'll bring the torches. 

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, and I hate to sound like an apologist, but I think it was the first draft he ran, and during the most ****ed year in a long time. The latter rounds are certainly disappointing while the first two have tons of talent and issues, but it's early in year two for them. MB definitely is looking bad with the TB RT (Wirfs?) looking great, and not being injured consistently. If things don't get better I'll bring the torches. 

Wirfs is tough and strong as an ox. All football. I dont give a sh*t the position he plays at this point. Just get guys who want to play. This goes for Mims too. Did anyone from the Jets talk to this kid before the draft. 5 seconds after he was drafted he looked like his dog just died.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, the first two games did not diminish my enthusiasm over this team and for this year.

Did Zach suck on Sunday? Yeah but it was through over-aggression not cluelessness and that can be improved upon. 

Special teams is solid

I still feel we are a much better team than last year but with so many young parts it will take a while.

My excitement level is seriously diminished from last week.  All the changes and it just seems we have the same incompetent offense run by a conservative defensive head coach and one of the worst OL in all of football. JD should realize that two first round picks and bargain basement free agency picks do not fix an offensive line. Only bright spot is that Seattle has one of the worst defenses I have ever seen so maybe we have 2 really high picks next year.

• Upvote 2

On 9/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, clayton163v said:

As I wrote earlier in the thread, the offensive line is the one area where the season is pretty much wasted. 

"I grow depressed watching the Jets field four starters on the offensive line who are unlikely to start for us next year.   They constitute wasted snaps which should have been given to a young draft pick.   Fant and McGovern are under contract but can be cheaply bought out and we will.  Moses will leave and GVR is a backup.  

Even if we still had Becton, Lewis, Clark and McDermott we would still be playing two guys - McGovern and Moses/Fant who are almost certainly goners.  We needed some more young talent and now we are caught short." 

I am not saying that this year's line will not improve or even play well.  That's not my point. 

Only that we are unlikely to keep Fant ($10 million - buyout $1 million) or McGovern ($10 million = buyout $1.3 million).  They might return but it is more likely they will sign with one of the other 31 teams.  Moses can leave and GVR is a backup.

We will have to add three decent draft picks next season at center, guard and RT.  Two of those players should have been added in this draft.  Just poor planning imo.  Remember, this is not LT.  These are 3d-5th round picks. 

PS - Grant Hermanns on the PS had a dynamite preseason and is a classic developmental project at RT.   

Tough call. JD spent very high draft picks on Becton/AVT, Wilson, Mims and Moore. And also spent 4th rounders on Carter and Perine. You can't completely ignore the defense so spending a few late round picks on DBs seemed reasonable. 

I also think JD tried to bring in high end FA OL but those guys opted for better teams (chiefs and Chargers). 

So I think he has spent sufficient resources on OL and the offense in general, he just hasn't landed players that are making a difference. Would be nice to have seen one of the RBs/WRs emerge like a Jefferson/Brown/Claypool etc...

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I still believe in Zach.  If we don't get him coaches who know how to develop him he's a dead man walking. 

Exactly. I go back to Brady in that snow game against the raiders. Not one seven step drop. They threw safe screens and misdirections and draw plays on early downs and kept the raiders off balance. They put Brady in a good situation. 

zach either threw out right or took a seven step drop in obvious passing situations. He won’t last long with this type of play calling

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I still believe in Douglas. Saleh and Zach.  I understand that we are playing awful and fans have absolutely lost their minds and it is funny to see.  I am concerned about the boos that will be raining down on Sunday if this team goes 3 and out on the the 1st drive.

I’ve been thinking about that and I’ve actually come up with a great idea. ( My hope is somehow this post goes viral because none of us have ever witnessed anything like it AND it would be talked about for YEARS!!) 

Instead of booing… Laugh out loud!!! Everybody!!! Think about it!! Anyone ever go to or even watch a comedian live?? I’ve seen Sebastian Maniscalco a few times- one time at the Garden. So I know when you hear 12-15 thousand people laugh at the same time it resonates through the building. 
Could you imagine?!!! With 75,000 people! Every time there is a terrible play- everyone laughs!!!! That would have to embarrass the franchise to no end. Much the way we as fans have been embarrassed to call this sh*t show franchise our team. That would be absolutely hilarious!! And good payback too! Who’s with me?!!

• Post of the Week 1

I was still hopeful after two weeks of Jets football, but not gonna lie, that was a kick in the balls yesterday. I thought they were a bit further along.

In camp Saleh put a lot of faith in his coaches being able to coach up the youngsters. Now that the team is looking like crap, let's see what they can do to turn it around. We'll know soon if Saleh & Co. are worth keeping or just another staff to give the heave ho. I think they end up delivering the goods.

You are not alone.

The best thing people can do, if it is REALLY eating at them is don't watch.  

NOBODY is touching this team.  NOBODY.  You are not getting Cowher, or Payton, or Chuck Knox, or Tom Landry, or Bill Parcells, or Vince Lombardi.  Anybody who has had success isn't coming here because the fan base has made sure of it.  I mean, flying banners to get Idzik fired two years in?  

So, this is what we are getting.  Rookie GM's, rookie coaches, rookie OC's, rookie DC's.  THAT is what we are going to get.

So, either cheer for another team, or let them all have about five years to learn on the job.  If they suck after five years, jettison them all and start over until you get a mix that works.  But this constant whiny bitch call after 3 games every year to fire everyone is EXACTLY why nobody will come here, and is getting OLD.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, johnnysd said:

My excitement level is seriously diminished from last week.  All the changes and it just seems we have the same incompetent offense run by a conservative defensive head coach and one of the worst OL in all of football. JD should realize that two first round picks and bargain basement free agency picks do not fix an offensive line. Only bright spot is that Seattle has one of the worst defenses I have ever seen so maybe we have 2 really high picks next year.

I am back to excited, I feel good about tomorrow being a huge step in right direction.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, johnnysd said:

Special teams is solid

Ynwa GIFs | Tenor

On 9/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, johnnysd said:

Special teams is solid

Drunk Animal House GIF by IFC

• Upvote 1

I was about to say "Yes" but saw others echo your sentiment so I will say "No".  ;)

The Jets haven't exactly done much to get any of us excited so I think this is more of a "muted anticipation" of the next game.

If we manage to complete a drive for a FG, I would be (sadly) impressed.    It's that bad right now.

• Upvote 1

Hard to be excited. Jets are years away from consistently winning.

BUT, if Zach works out, we'll all be breathing a sigh of relief. Now, I know teams can can win if they build great in the trenches, and on D, and the can still win with an okay QB (e.g. Dilfer, Foles, Hostetler, McMahon). Keyshawn is a believer in this (spend all your high draft picks and money on really good players and then go get a serviceable veteran at QB). However, since we spent a #2 on Zach,it would ne nice to start with a solid QB and then use all of our draft capital to build a really solid team.

So if something clicks with Zack this year, I'll be super engaged for the long term. Whereas now, I'm paying attention on game day, possibly demoting that to checking the score on Monday if this team doesn't start showing some juice.