Lafleur: Mims had another “great” practice

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Remains to be seen. 

Not really.  Mims looked worse than Cole in the spring and summer and, so far, can’t be bothered to care enough to learn the playbook enough to be active on Sundays.  I said it last week.  If you want to practice like a dog, you’re going to get treated like one.  Cole has been a successful NFL WR.  Mims has been a malcontent trending towards bust.  You don’t get opportunities because of your draft position, you get opportunities because of your work ethic and commitment to your craft.  One guy has both, the other has shown that he, so far this year, does not.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not really.  Mims looked worse than Cole in the spring and summer and, so far, can’t be bothered to care enough to learn the playbook enough to be active on Sundays.  I said it last week.  If you want to practice like a dog, you’re going to get treated like one.  Cole has been a successful NFL WR.  Mims has been a malcontent bust.  You don’t get opportunities because of your draft position, you get opportunities because of your work ethic and commitment to your craft.  One guy has it, the other has shown that he, so far, does not.

Ok you guys think Mims sucks I get it. 

I was just rooting for the kid to do well as we need the WR help. 

If they cut him tonight I don't care. 

You guys made your points. 

I didn't buy a Mims jersey  so be it. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not really.  Mims looked worse than Cole in the spring and summer and, so far, can’t be bothered to care enough to learn the playbook enough to be active on Sundays.  I said it last week.  If you want to practice like a dog, you’re going to get treated like one.  Cole has been a successful NFL WR.  Mims has been a malcontent trending towards bust.  You don’t get opportunities because of your draft position, you get opportunities because of your work ethic and commitment to your craft.  One guy has both, the other has shown that he, so far this year, does not.

Salmon Puns

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Ok you guys think Mims sucks I get it. 

I was just rooting for the kid to do well as we need the WR help. 

If they cut him tonight I don't care. 

You guys made your points. 

I didn't buy a Mims jersey so so be it. 

I actually don’t think Mims sucks.  I think he needs to realize that he hasn’t made it yet by simply being drafted and wake up before he’s out of the league.  I also think you are seriously underrating Keelan Cole while simultaneously not understanding that Mims has all the talent in the world to be great, but his own attitude is holding him back

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ZW is struggling because of it. 

Do you honestly think that Zach Wilson is struggling because Mims can't beat out Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole? 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hey what do I know right you guys are the experts with the inside information and the facts right. 

I can't speak for @Mogglez, but I am not an expert, and I don't claim to be one. If it's between joewilly12 and Coach Saleh, I'm leaning towards Coach Saleh. You seem to know it all, so why even continue having this conversation?

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you honestly think that Zach Wilson is struggling because Mims can't beat out Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole? 

I can't speak for @Mogglez, but I am not an expert, and I don't claim to be one. If it's between joewilly12 and Coach Saleh, I'm leaning towards Coach Saleh. You seem to know it all, so why even continue having this conversation?

I will never pretend to be infallible, but I will maintain what I have heard in regards to what is going on behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

ZW is struggling because of the WR's on this roster yes I believe that. 

Also the fact that we don't have a decent TE. 

A young QB needs all the help he can get. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You seem to think you know it all. 

ZW is struggling because of the WR's on this roster yes I believe that. 

Also the fact that we don't have a decent TE. 

A young QB needs all the help he can get. 

The game tape says the opposite Joe.  There were guys open on the field Sunday.  I saw it live, and I saw it again when I rewatched the tape.  The best head coach in the league, who is notorious for fooling rookie QBs, just got the better of ours and stopped them from making plays by confusing our rookie QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The game tape says the opposite Joe.  There were guys open on the field Sunday.  I saw it live, and I saw it again when I rewatched the tape.  The best head coach in the league, who is notorious for fooling rookie QBs, just got the better of ours and stopped them from making plays by confusing our rookie QB.

I take your word for it. 

I saw mistakes from the entire offense. 

Hopefully things change quickly with this offense. 

You seem to think you know it all. 

Never claimed to know it all. There is much about football that I do not know, or understand. I do understand why a guy like Mims is sixth on the depth chart, and why guys like Keelan Cole and Jeff Smith are ahead of him. I understand this because I listened to Coach Saleh explain his reasoning for starting Cole and Smith over him. 

I was done with this a long time ago, but you wanted to argue over one catch for 40 yards being better than one catch for 25 yards, as if that was a good argument in any way. You introduced the argument that Mims had "better" stats than Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole. I already congratulated you on winning the Mims Has Better Stats Truthful Facts Championship. 

Get the last word in if it makes you feel any better.

Here is your trophy.

pigeon chess - Album on Imgur

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rldev said:

It is? How many drops, wrong routes or would be catches have we had in the first two games? 

Drops we've had plenty, wrong routes only the coaches really know, What's a a would be catch ? What I'm referring too is a player's work ethic and coming to practice and the games prepared. If Mims is not doing that then shame on him, and if in fact he's not the coaches will make an example that , that's not the culture we want in this organization

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think he fooled our rookie OC as well

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I take your word for it. 

I saw mistakes from the entire offense. 

Hopefully things change quickly with this offense. 

It’s gonna take time, but I completely understand the frustration.  I went into this season knowing what this process was going to be like, and I still came back home Sunday without a voice from screaming my head off (not in a good way).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Eh.  I had one objection on the play-calling front (3rd and goal on the first red zone trip), but it was pretty clear that they were calling plays to protect a rookie QB from crumbling by making another bad mistake and get him a drive where he could come up with some points.  I genuinely believe a vet QB probably wins that game because there were some serious opportunities to be had.

47 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Bryce Huff, Bryce Hall, MC II, JFM, Rankins, Quincy and Quinnen, Mosley, are all my serious standouts on defense,  Maye has been ok.  I honestly think that he’s shown that he is a good, not phenomenal talent at Safety.  Some team will pay him big money out of desperation if I had to guess.  Quinnen, like I said, has been quiet on the stats front, but man, I think he is gonna get there soon. He has been generating serious push on the D-Line and that’s why they, in particular, has been playing well.  Furthermore Ulbrich and Saleh put together a fantastic defensive game plan.  The corners and dline were feasting. 

On offense:

Zach Wilson - the other rookie QB struggles made me feel better that this is just part of the maturation process for Wilson.  @Zachtomims47 was right.  The tape from Sunday was bad, but it really was just BB doing is his thing more than it was Zach losing his f*cking mind and forgetting how to play football at a fundamental level.  The whole game-plan for NE was to bait Wilson into being cocky and aggressive and Zach fell right into the trap.  Once they disrupted his confidence and rhythm, his brain was in a tornado…and that’s ok in year one, game 2, against BB.  The kid has the right mindset, work ethic, physical tools, and brain.  I think he’ll learn a ton from last week.  I’m not guaranteeing a breakout performance for him this Sunday or anything; Fangio is a phenomenal defensive mind in his own right.  That being said, I think Zach is going to be fine in the long run. 

Michael Carter II looked pretty darn impressive.  Great short area quickness, burst, vision, and pass catching ability.

Elijah Moore could have gone for a hundo and a TD if Zach’s brain wasn’t a, literal, tilt-a-whirl.

Berrios is meme-tier around here because “lol white small WR”, but he’s been pretty damn impressive replacing Crowder in the slot (who can get traded at the deadline for all I care at this point.)

Corey Davis got swallowed by triple teams last week.  A vet QB probably exploits all the one on ones everywhere else and might even win the game, but that’s the life you get with developing a rookie QB, something I’m perfectly fine with because that’s what this year is all about.  Development.  I fully admit to losing sight of that Sunday at the game, and the night of as I stewed in anger.

I also want to point something else out.  I know LaFleur is people’s doghouse right now because they can’t fathom that Mims is the issue with Mims, but the OL protections, run game, and even route concepts were pretty damn good against NE.  Zach was just in a whirlwind and couldn’t recover, leading to missed opportunities, sacks, turnovers, etc.

I appreciate your optimism and I hope it pays off, for all of our sakes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Eh.  I had one objection on the play-calling front (3rd and goal on the first red zone trip), but it was pretty clear that they were calling plays to protect a rookie QB from crumbling by making another bad mistake and get him a drive where he could come up with some points.  I genuinely believe a vet QB probably wins that game because there were some serious opportunities to be had.

I felt LeFleur should have recognized early that Belichick was rushing 4 more often than not with minimal blitzes. Also Double and sometimes triple covering Davis with 7 men back in coverage. Belichick banked on the fact Zach loves to go to Davis and when we didn't constantly run the ball down their throats there was no reason for him to do anything different on defense. Either way we could have controlled this game early, dictated to Belichick instead of him dictating to us and THEN let our young QB take his shots when Belichick had to make a change to adjust to what we were doing. It didn't happen that way and they controlled the game. If Belichick decided to take the run away in that game no way in hell we rush for what we did so I feel some of us got a little false hope about our running game

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I appreciate your optimism and I hope it pays off, for all of our sakes. 

If you told me I would feel this way after going to the game Sunday (my girlfriends first Jets game, and my first in 9 years), I’d tell you that you were bonkers.

Just needed to step back, watch the film *vomit*, and try and retain the perspective I came into the season with.

Quite frankly, I think the entire team played far better than Week 1 by a wide margin.  If Zach just didn’t get baited by the best Head Coach of all time *more vomit* and play poorly, I think most here would be ok.  It sucks watching your new toy get scuffed.  I get it.  That said, if he ends up being the goods, no one is going to remember last week years from now.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I felt LeFleur should have recognized early that Belichick was rushing 4 more often than not with minimal blitzes. Also Double and sometimes triple covering Davis with 7 men back in coverage. Belichick banked on the fact Zach loves to go to Davis and when we didn't constantly run the ball down their throats there was no reason for him to do anything different on defense. Either way we could have controlled this game early, dictated to Belichick instead of him dictating to us and THEN let our young QB take his shots when Belichick had to make a change to adjust to what we were doing. It didn't happen that way and they controlled the game. If Belichick decided to take the run away in that game no way in hell we rush for what we did so I feel some of us got a little false hope about our running game

I think the problem with all of this write-up, which is good by the way, don’t get me wrong, is that Zach’s first two passes went to the other team because he, himself, wasn’t taking what was set up for him.  On INT #2 he had the opportunity to complete a 12 yard pass to his TE.  Instead he pressed and forced a bullet that, yes, could have been caught by Davis, to a WR covered by three guys.  LaFleur could have drawn up a scheme and game plan as good as his brother.  It wouldn’t have mattered because Zach was baited and confused.  There isn’t much you can do when your QB is in that mindframe.  Even when they did try and help him more with simple passes and check downs, Wilson just pressed, passed on them to try to play hero ball, and the rest is history. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

So am I.  He has all the talent in the world.  That said, if he doesn’t care, it doesn’t matter how talented he is.

I basically read between the lines in this weeks ago, said similar, and it’s been defiant ignorance everywhere… glad you dropped some knowledge here.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He had an absolutely abysmal spring and summer, that’s how we know.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Then why wasn't he cut. 

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jets Facebook post

469AD643-6F79-4A57-8309-B681EAAC35DF.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Because he was a high draft pick last year so they’re giving him every opportunity to learn the playbook, fix his attitude and work ethic.  If he was a 4th round pick he would already be gone.

I would also add that coach Saleh leverages his experience in the corporate space, and one of the tenets of people management it’s to put poor performers on a development plan.

I genuinely believe they are trying to build him up.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I would also add that coach Saleh leverages his experience in the corporate space, and one of the tenets of people management it’s to put poor performers on a development plan.

I genuinely believe they are trying to build him up.

They are.  Especially because they know how much they would benefit from it.  The problem is that Mims doesn’t really want that and is actively pushing back at the idea that he needs development.

Either Mims is going to wake up, or the team will throw their hands up and say that they did all they can do.  I don’t think there is anything else that can happen.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They are.  Especially because they know how much they would benefit from it.  The problem is that Mims doesn’t really want that and is actively pushing back at the idea that he needs development.

Either Mims is going to wake up, or the team will throw their hands up and say that they did all they can do.  I don’t think there is anything else that can happen.

Nor do I think there’s anything else that should happen. As a manager you create a path, people have to put in the work - and want it.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I think the problem with all of this write-up, which is good by the way, don’t get me wrong, is that Zach’s first two passes went to the other team because he, himself, wasn’t taking what was set up for him.  On INT #2 he had the opportunity to complete a 12 yard pass to his TE.  Instead he pressed and forced a bullet that, yes, could have been caught by Davis, to a WR covered by three guys.  LaFleur could have drawn up a scheme and game plan as good as his brother.  It wouldn’t have mattered because Zach was baited and confused.  There isn’t much you can do when your QB is in that mindframe.  Even when they did try and help him more with simple passes and check downs, Wilson just pressed, passed on them to try to play hero ball, and the rest is history. 

Agreed the first 2 int's never had to happen but the law should have been laid down to Zach after the second int even if it was not really his fault (talking the Davis drop int) because they should have realized what Belichick was doing and explained to Zach that he's taking away your intermediate and deep passing game so lets run the ball down their throats throw a few screens in there and some dump off's until he adjusts. Have you seen a screen pass this year ? It's arguably one of the hardest things for a young QB to sell to the defense so why not get him in the frame of mind, if we lure them in you can then get aggressive ? I feel an adjustment like this should be made right off the bat because a Guy like Belichick is not going to back off something that works until you force his hand and we never really did.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Big time.

I saw it this way, Jets have rookie HC, OC, and QB and played aggressively vs. Belichick (who played his rookie QB extremely conservative) .... 3 INTs in first half. In hindsight how could that not happen? 

But after all that it's 2nd & 28 on the opening drive of the 2nd half and ZW is flinging it 30 yards downfield for INT #4? We got schooled the hard way.

Mims right now is not a problem for the Jets. For the time being he's removed himself from serious consideration - I'd say the only one with a problem is his agent.

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

So am I.  He has all the talent in the world.  That said, if he doesn’t care, it doesn’t matter how talented he is.

Hmmmmmmm you know more than most and I was and am a HUGE Mims fan and said so on draft night. 

BUT….

You are implying something BIG here so spill what you know PILGRIM!!! :)