Lafleur: Mims had another “great” practice

Rhg1084

44 minutes ago, slats said:

For whatever reason, Mims is getting the tough love treatment from the coaching staff. I don’t know if it’s because of an inability or unwillingness to learn every WR position, but if what they’re doing works and Mims is putting together good practices and gets on the field Sunday, great! 

Its not only a message for Mims but for the entire team. I'm not saying they chose a guy to make this statement but the team and that receiver room has to see what's going on if Mims is slacking. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Standards of the coaching staff, not mine. 

When Mims knows 12 routes, he can play. 

Randy Moss would be sitting on the bench here.  Rookie year he was all pro and ran down the field and cought balls that were thrown up to him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's hard to argue with the crazy Mims fans when you put out an offense like the one the Jets did on Sunday. 

That's the point. How many other teams are putting two smurf wrs on the field at the same time in a three wide receiver set?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At this point i can’t help but wonder if the jets are saying this to not seem like total douchbags to the rest of the wr group.  Even guys like Jeff smith and cole have to be wondering if they’re next to get in the dog house .

Well if Cole and Smith aren't active their overall production could go from 0 all the way down to 0. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Its not only a message for Mims but for the entire team. I'm not saying they chose a guy to make this statement but the team and that receiver room has to see what's going on if Mims is slacking. 

It is? How many drops, wrong routes or would be catches have we had in the first two games? 

11 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Has Mims caught EVERY ball thrown his way?  Did i miss something ? I swear this guy must be the best WR ever drafted, when i read this board .

He's obviously not the best WR every drafted.  He's the best WR drafted by the Jets in the last 5 years.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, slats said:

For whatever reason, Mims is getting the tough love treatment from the coaching staff. I don’t know if it’s because of an inability or unwillingness to learn every WR position, but if what they’re doing works and Mims is putting together good practices and gets on the field Sunday, great! 

My prediction a week or so ago was that, if/when Mims produces for so much as half a game after he's finally reinserted into the offense, plenty will point to those results as though they'd certainly have consistently happened all along. We see it already based on a 40 yard pass when in truth that lone pass he caught (or was even targeted) was when the coverage was totally blown so badly he was standing all by himself. 

In reality it's no different than if Moore was benched because they said he was behind after missing those preseason games. No one would have known he'd have put up just 44 yards on 12 targets (with most of it coming on one blown/non-coverage play of his own).

Hopefully Mims gets on the field & produces shortly after that. It'd be good for for Wilson; maybe good for Moore; good for LaFleur; good for Douglas (both his reputation and that it'd mean that's one less position Douglas needs to target with one of those early picks next year); and good for us as fans who get to see another high-ceiling WR on the field. Everyone wants him to succeed here.

I get the statement that if he is inactive we have to call BS; do you all remember when Mangenious used to say, and the most important player was the 'practice player of the week' and that player never got to play? yeah, play Mims or don't play Mims, but if you are boasting about how well he did in practice - you need to eventually play him.

If he isn't ready, stop saying how great he is doing; if he is ready play him. Hold the party line and say, he is making progress but at this point with the current game plan, Mims is not ready.

I don't see the other drama. This is only a thing for the fans and the media. If the coaching staff doesn't like his work ethic or feel he isn't ready, than he should sit. I don't buy the 'team sucks so might as well play him' nonsense. They are trying to get all 11 players on the field playing together. If Mims isn't that guy, he isn't. If Saleh was coaching the Jags or the Lions, nobody would care if Mims wasn't playing - hell in NE they would be calling BB a genius for benching a guy with talent because he isn't playing the Patriots way and they would be talking about how his teams have discipline and unity because he will do that. Here, JD sucks, Saleh is a fool, and Mims is only being benched because he called JD fat or something.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Has Mims caught EVERY ball thrown his way?  Did i miss something ? I swear this guy must be the best WR ever drafted, when i read this board .

So far this year he has played 3 snaps and has 1 target which yielded 1 catch for 40 yards. 

Meanwhile, Jeff Smith and Cole have combined for 45 offensive snaps which yielded 2 total targets, 1 total catch for 3 yards. 

The point is not that Mims is great, it's just that he is better than at least 2 of the guys that are playing over him because #practicematters. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

will he be active Sunday?

I love Bien-Aime.  The idea of English teachers reading his tweets makes me feel warm inside.  And that's "no kizzy".  

PS - I have noted he is brave (or unwise) - calling out the coach - and hard working.

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

as iverson said we talking practice  we talking practice....

team sucks mims may or may not suck too but let him play what is the harm-I mean we have a jaq like berrios leading the team in targets 

It is hard to contest the "Berrios is not the future" argument.  Hey, they freed Britney Spears . . .  

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I'm thinkin' a "great practice" actually means Mims excelled at handing out towels and water for the guys.  You think that's easy?  It can be grueling, especially on a hot day.

Nah.  Their sights are much higher.  WONDERFUL DENZEL!.   That is the correct side of the field but next time do not go in motion and the snap is on two, not three.  And the pattern was a crosser, not a screen pass.  But you're making progress. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Put him on the field with Davis and Moore and lets start looking like the future tomorrow. 

Not only would I like to see an 2-14 team that has started 0-2 play its tomorrow WRs today, but I would like to see if Moore can master slot  and gadget duty.  One day, he may be ready to be the Z.  But not today.  We are much meaner with Davis and Mims on the edges with Moore inside.  It is better for running plays and I am certain that Moore will be good at Jet sweeps etc.  But as a receiver dealing with NFL corners, Moore is not ready to start outside and does not offer prototype size.   And he plays small.  I had hoped we were getting Steve Smith.  Right now he is not even Santana Moss.  At both the Z and X size is necessary.  Tyrek Hill is a fine Z but tiny fellas are the exception.  Until Moore takes the job, he should be in the slot.  Hell, I would rotate the three of them.  This is why.

When Davis is in the slot, you can call a running play against their nickel and use him like an H-back.  When it is Moore, he can use the absence of a sideline to avoid the jam and get into his pattern.  When it is Mims, call a spread offense play for him and let him run under it.  

1 hour ago, doitny said:

remember what Saleh said the other day. Mims might play well in practice but he doesnt think that the guys ahead of him will give him there spot. 

so what you should ask LeFleur is how good was Berrios and Coles practice?

it doesn't matter if Mims is driving a car at 100 mph if Berrios and Cole are also driving at 100mph and they left before Mims. Mims will never catch them unless one lets up on the gas. 

and we know how Saleh feel about hitting the brakes.. lol

Herman Edwards had this fault.  The refusal to change starters out of some sort of loyalty.  I am hopeful that - Lafleur in particular - will see that Mims gives us more favorable matchups because of his prototype size and speed.  That we are a better team if we get him going. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Hopefully this is all about an immature failure to learn the playbook and some angry coaches who decided to teach him a lesson.  I am dismayed to see him languishing when he was so promising in the second half of last season.

58 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Need to get this guy on the field, he is a physical talent and a threat that creates mismatches. Davis is a big possession receiver, but Mims stretches the field. Get him out there.

We are 0-2 and are coming off 2-14.   It is hard to argue with the kitchen sink approach. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So far this year he has played 3 snaps and has 1 target which yielded 1 catch for 40 yards. 

Meanwhile, Jeff Smith and Cole have combined for 45 offensive snaps which yielded 2 total targets, 1 total catch for 3 yards. 

The point is not that Mims is great, it's just that he is better than at least 2 of the guys that are playing over him because #practicematters. 

but they know the plays :-)

to be fair, has just as much to do with the game plan, who was throwing the ball and when, what patterns were run, where they were in the reads, .. and stuff.. ; also, Mims go so wide open on a busted play when Zack had enough time to throw down field.

I get the Mims hype. He has all the tangibles. I have to think that the CS wouldn't be sitting him unless there is a real reason. Hopefully he plays soon and does extremely well. 

Of course the downside in that is that the JD haters would have to admit he was a good pick in the 2nd - so there is that.

every dick NY press guy should just ask Joe and the coach Mims questions over and over and yes over

it is one thing if he was on tampa and beind godwin evans and brown but he is behind berrios 

I am almost ready to contribute to thef free Mims plane fly over

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If Mims is not doing what the coaches say, and you reward him with playing time, you are telling a very young team there are no consequences to not listening.

Or, you tell a very young team, "do it our way, or you don't play."

then they should stop blowing sunshine saying how great he is practicing -

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

every dick NY press guy should just ask Joe and the coach Mims questions over and over and yes over

it is one thing if he was on tampa and beind godwin evans and brown but he is behind berrios 

I am almost ready to contribute to thef free Mims plane fly over

Berrios is the backup slot and PR/KR and Smith is a gunner. The competition right now is between Cole and Mims. 

2 hours ago, KO91 said:

It’s become a total distraction at this point. Play him or trade him. 

I mean play the kid. Whats the harm? If they dont play him, you think anyone is going to give you ANYTHING for him via trade.  And if he sucks, then he sucks. They can say SEE We were right in holding him back blah blah blah. And if he strikes gold, they can say SEE we brought him along the right way.  Bottom line, you have to see what he can do given the opportuinity to play - not just a few reps - I mean numerous reps in numerous games. I'm still waiting for LaFleur to bring in Singletary as a consultant and have him assess Mims. Thats the next course of action.

Pretty obvious that Mims wasn’t putting in the effort that was needed or expected. Everything that has come out is basically saying this. The great practice quote is a pat on the back for stepping his effort up. Hopefully it continues and he plays. Natural talent he has an abundance of, unfortunately that only go so far when your playing in the NFL 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

I mean play the kid. Whats the harm? If they dont play him, you think anyone is going to give you ANYTHING for him via trade.  And if he sucks, then he sucks. They can say SEE We were right in holding him back blah blah blah. And if he strikes gold, they can say SEE we brought him along the right way.  Bottom line, you have to see what he can do given the opportuinity to play - not just a few reps - I mean numerous reps in numerous games. I'm still waiting for LaFleur to bring in Singletary as a consultant and have him assess Mims. Thats the next course of action.

The harm is that 52 other guys see an opportunity given to a guy who isn’t ready or hasn’t earned it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Put him on the field with Davis and Moore and lets start looking like the future tomorrow. 

Which is why they should have traded Crowder. We have enough depth and Crowder is not going to be here next year and I dont think Cole will either.  Berrios is like guareented a spot with his death dfying fair catches.  SMH.  But if Mims BOMBS horrendously, then you know you have to find another WR in the draft or thru FA next year. Ya dont know until you do.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The harm is that 52 other guys see an opportunity given to a guy who isn’t ready or hasn’t earned it. 

And you know this how? Are you the water bottle guy in the huddle?  He's a #2 pick. That alone warrants it. We need to see him on the field. Even Gholston played before he was sent packing.