Lafleur: Mims had another “great” practice

Rhg1084

16 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nothing to do with that. We got a young QB struggling trying to throw the ball to the same guy over and over again. Mims traits of being a big physical receiver who go’s after contested balls could erase some of Zach’s sins. This isn’t about Mims for me. It’s about Zach and our struggling offense, If our receivers were getting open and are catching the ball? I would literally not mention anything about Mims. 

I get where you're coming from, but playing someone in order to negate someone else's struggles is a bad idea longer term.

Zach needs to develop his abilities to correct the issues he's having, not have the coaches find a way to let him keep doing the same thing wrong and get away with it.

19 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Pretty obvious that Mims wasn’t putting in the effort that was needed or expected. Everything that has come out is basically saying this. The great practice quote is a pat on the back for stepping his effort up. Hopefully it continues and he plays. Natural talent he has an abundance of, unfortunately that only go so far when your playing in the NFL 

I think it is more of a personality thing like what happened with Braylon. They are very similar in a lot of ways.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Saleh, Lafleur can say all they want about Mims' great practice.  He got 2 snaps in game 1.  Was inactive in game 2.  If he is inactive again in week 3, that tells us far more about what the coaches think of him than any comments during the week about practice.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

Saleh, Lafleur can say all they want about Mims' great practice.  He got 2 snaps in game 1.  Was inactive in game 2.  If he is inactive again in week 3, that tells us far mroe about what the coaches think of him than any comments during the week about practice.

If he is inactive again or is active and only plays 5 snaps then you know the "great practice" nonsense is just the Jets trying to boost Mims trade value on the hopes of getting the Vikings to trade for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Should have traded him but JD gotta swallow his pride or Lafluer needs to find a way for him to learn the playbook, talent is not the issue. 

not sure what looks worse for JD the fact that he drafted him in the second or that he is still on the roster but not playing 

• Upvote 1

After drafting Mims, Joe D had the privilege of watching Adam Gase and staff work with Mims, helping him develop and learn all about NFL route running and coaching plus on the field while Mims made the transition from college to the NFL. But unfortunately, none of that happened. I'm not sure if any of Mims' development would have happened even if he were healthy....Gase just didn't strike me as a hands on HC.

JD watched Mims (and the entire offense) struggle throughout the 2020 season. There was a reason JD signed both Corey Davis as our #1 and Keenan Cole as our #2. He knew Mims was NOT ready, and would need the majority of 2021 getting coached up.

Keenan Cole was not a scrub signing....he is a solid 27 yr old #2 WR. His rookie season he caught 40 something balls for over 700 yards. Last season he caught another 50+ balls and 5 TDs, all on a sh*t Jags team. We can only hope Mims 'someday' is as good as Keenan Cole.

Signing Cole gave JD's new coaching staff a full season to develop Mims properly (just like 2020 was supposed to be). Mims was very raw coming out of Baylor....most analysts said Mims was not a good rout runner and needed time to develop. Even when he tried to run routes he was very predictable and had difficulty shaking DBs. Mims wasn't drafted for his route running but for his size, speed, and hands. Route running would have to be taught.

We just saw how critical rout running is....Zach threw an in-breaking route while Moore ran and out-breaking route. INT.

It's probably better for Zach to throw to a smaller number of WRs that he's developed chemistry with. I don't recall Zach and Mims playing catch too much during TC, so there's probably little to no chemistry there. 

Anyway, using Cole as #2 while Mims fully develops will pay off in spades next season when Mims become our official #2.

Patience!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

We don’t see the practices.. the coaches do, if he is not up to speed yet, than what’s the issue? If he continues to improve in practices, again the practices that WE do not see and is making strides in grasping what he needs to learn to be on the field, and when it becomes evident/undeniable that he should be in game day. Than he will have his opportunity. Until than be a good soldier, don’t pout, be a professional about the situation, which I don’t see any of that coming from him… fck the media. Trust our new coach. And when Mims gets his shot ball the fck out!!and this will be a distant memory

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FootballLove said:

After drafting Mims, Joe D had the privilege of watching Adam Gase and staff work with Mims, helping him develop and learn all about NFL route running and coaching plus on the field while Mims made the transition from college to the NFL. But unfortunately, none of that happened. I'm not sure if any of Mims' development would have happened even if he were healthy....Gase just didn't strike me as a hands on HC.

JD watched Mims (and the entire offense) struggle throughout the 2020 season. There was a reason JD signed both Corey Davis as our #1 and Keenan Cole as our #2. He knew Mims was NOT ready, and would need the majority of 2021 getting coached up.

Keenan Cole was not a scrub signing....he is a solid 27 yr old #2 WR. His rookie season he caught 40 something balls for over 700 yards. Last season he caught another 50+ balls and 5 TDs, all on a sh*t Jags team. We can only hope Mims 'someday' is as good as Keenan Cole.

Signing Cole gave JD's new coaching staff a full season to develop Mims properly (just like 2020 was supposed to be). Mims was very raw coming out of Baylor....most analysts said Mims was not a good rout runner and needed time to develop. Even when he tried to run routes he was very predictable and had difficulty shaking DBs. Mims wasn't drafted for his route running but for his size, speed, and hands. Route running would have to be taught.

We just saw how critical rout running is....Zach threw an in-breaking route while Moore ran and out-breaking route. INT.

It's probably better for Zach to throw to a smaller number of WRs that he's developed chemistry with. I don't recall Zach and Mims playing catch too much during TC, so there's probably little to no chemistry there. 

Anyway, using Cole as #2 while Mims fully develops will pay off in spades next season when Mims become our official #2.

Patience!

I could find this all acceptable if Braxton Berrios wasnt receiving 27% of the targets and guys like Cole and Smith are dressing but literally providing zero value and Moore who leads the WR core in snaps, is useless.  Conceptually, the route designs are awful and when you watch how they're actually running the routes, it comical, they're all bad.  Nobody runs crisp routes, including Davis.  The spacing and leveling is terrible which is leading to Zach throwing to blanketed WR's and the one thing Mims has proven he's really good at is catching contested balls in 1 on 1 situations.

If the bold is the plan, I get it and that would explain why Mims is still on the roster but then why is Cole not a part of the offense? 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Where all this great talent that Mims is supposed to have ?

2020 In 9 games he was targeted 44 times , he caught 23 for 357 yards. Zero TD's , repeat ZERO TD's . For a catch percentage of 52% .  That seems kinda of pedestrian to me .

Keelan Cole has a career catch rate of 57%. 

Jeff Smith has has a career catch rate of 45.2%

Neither are anywhere near the athletic profile of Mims.  Both were UDFA's.  Both dress over Denzel Mims and are nowhere to be seen on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I could find this all acceptable if Braxton Berrios wasnt receiving 27% of the targets and guys like Cole and Smith are dressing but literally providing zero value and Moore who leads the WR core in snaps, is useless.  Conceptually, the route designs are awful and when you watch how they're actually running the routes, it comical, they're all bad.  Nobody runs crisp routes, including Davis.  The spacing and leveling is terrible which is leading to Zach throwing to blanketed WR's and the one thing Mims has proven he's really good at is catching contested balls in 1 on 1 situations.

If the bold is the plan, I get it and that would explain why Mims is still on the roster but then why is Cole not a part of the offense? 

Something that has stood out to me is Lafleur saying that the Green and White scrimmage was scripted and was a glorified practice that he called from the box and that in SF, all he was relaying to Shanahan were play suggestions and what the defenses were doing. So he has no idea if he’d prefer calling plays up there. I think for a first time play caller they should have tried both to see what actually is better and it’s surprising to me that you take a guy who’s been used to being in the box as a passing game coordinator a new viewpoint. 

I also wonder if Mims is being dogged so bad for not knowing the offense is that Lafleur is overwhelmed with trying to mask the crappy o-line and the fact that the receivers don’t run precise routes to begin with, while installing a new system to everyone. 

Ultimately i’m just hoping he didn’t get Peter Principled just because of being bros with Matt and buddies with Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Something that has stood out to me is Lafleur saying that the Green and White scrimmage was scripted and was a glorified practice that he called from the box and that in SF, all he was relaying to Shanahan were play suggestions and what the defenses were doing. So he has no idea if he’d prefer calling plays up there. I think for a first time play caller they should have tried both to see what actually is better and it’s surprising to me that you take a guy who’s been used to being in the box as a passing game coordinator a new viewpoint. 

I also wonder if Mims is being dogged so bad for not knowing the offense is that Lafleur is overwhelmed with trying to mask the crappy o-line and the fact that the receivers don’t run precise routes to begin with, while installing a new system to everyone. 

Ultimately i’m just hoping he didn’t get Peter Principled just because of being bros with Matt and buddies with Saleh. 

Saleh, literally calls him Lil Mikey.  I like Saleh, willing to give him a chance, certainly not writing the book on him and blaming him for the state of the franchise like the 2 disgusting trolls polluting the board with Adam Gase was a hero sh*t but this seems like one of those, I dont have deep relationships with anyone in the NFL so I'm going to hire my friends situation with his coordinators.  Just a bizarre choice as a rookie HC to literally surround yourself with an inexperienced staff who is leading a super duper wet behind the ears rookie project at QB and the youngest roster in the NFL.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Patience!

We may never know whether moore ran the wrong route or if wilson threw the wrong pass.  But, we do know that saleh will not say anything bad about moore if he did run the wrong route.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Saleh, literally calls him Lil Mikey.  I like Saleh, willing to give him a chance, certainly not writing the book on him and blaming him for the state of the franchise like the 2 disgusting trolls polluting the board with Adam Gase was a hero sh*t but this seems like one of those, I dont have deep relationships with anyone in the NFL so I'm going to hire my friends situation with his coordinators.  Just a bizarre choice as a rookie HC to literally surround yourself with an inexperienced staff who is leading a super duper wet behind the ears rookie project at QB and the youngest roster in the NFL.  

He hired Greg Knapp to be defacto OC2 and QB developer…

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Pichula said:

He hired Greg Knapp to be defacto OC2 and QB developer…

Ugh, so awful, I kind of forget.   You're right.  I remember not knowing he was on the staff and feeling a lot more comfortable with Wilson's development when I found he was part of the staff.  That said, I still felt they should have gone a step further and signed a veteran backup.

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We may never know whether moore ran the wrong route or if wilson threw the wrong pass.  But, we do know that saleh will not say anything bad about moore if he did run the wrong route.  

No, but we do believe it was a communication issue and no just a really bad throw.  Communication issues with a rookie QB and rookie WR should be expected and easily understood.  Doesn't matter whose fault it was, that type of stuff will eventually get worked out.

Just making a horrible throw should be far more concerning. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Saleh hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of a doubt for me. Surrounds himself with first time coaches, no backup vet QB .... I'm guessing he's a cocky idiot. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Saleh hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of a doubt for me. Surrounds himself with first time coaches, no backup vet QB .... I'm guessing he's a cocky idiot. 

While I agree those were questionable decisions, he's coached 2 games vs. much much better Football teams.  The talent level difference is laughable.  This season was always going to be ugly and for me, it was all about week to week improvement.  And I think you saw that in almost every phase of the game other then QB...and even if we didnt, I'm still willing to see how the team progresses and how that impacts what he does in the offseason before making any determinations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Wow, can’t believe you’re blaming Saleh already. Wow. 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If this team puts up 10, 11, 12 losses?  Saleh, JD and Wilson are going to get absolutely torched.  It's part of the gig.  Win and everything is roses.

Why?  Did you have them winning more then 4 maybe 5 games?  I certainly did not.  They’re the worst team in Football.