Saleh at Ease Like Jets Are 2-0 - He & JD Ain't Going Anywhere Soon

McNeil

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair guys been telling us this is going to be a rough start and get worse before it gets better since training camp. We just prefer not to hear it and act like we are shocked by the the results. Pretty sure the Jets front office is way less surprised by this flat start than we are. 

This.

Just because our fans are a bunch of ninnies, doesn’t mean the coach should be.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

Other than ZW, the team showed a lot of improvement in one week, and the defense has played better than anyone expected. As long as everyone continues to improve including LaFleur and ZW, there is a lot to be excited about. 

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This has been pretty clear to anyone who was paying attention.

JD got a six year contract. He was put in charge of making the HC hire and the organizational hierarchy. He and Saleh are in lockstep and are in this together.

Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Zack Wilson are the "triumvirate" for this franchise through the end of 2023 at least.

Which is really how it should be.

Trying to "win now" leads to Fitzmagic, a one year 10-6 record, and then cap hell.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am  not thrilled with our start, but what else do you expect? You think any NFL owner would threaten to fire a HC after 2 games??? 

It has nothing to do with the Head Coach who has been here 2 games!

It has to do with the General Manager who has been here 2 1/2 years!

This narrative that the two of them have to be tied together at the hip in order to be successful and that this is Game 2 for the both of them has to stop!

Joe Douglas should be on an extremely hot seat, and if this roster that he has hand-crafted for the last 30 months wins 2 measly games again, he should be gone.

That’s the point. It has nothing to do with Saleh. It’s Douglas.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is an excellent, well-reasoned response that I have taken to heart and I will contemplate it when I see Jets fans coalescing around a failed Saleh regime even though they trashed Gase for lesser crimes. Thank you, @UntouchableCrew

Your continued support of Gase, who is an even bigger NFL laughing stock than the Jets, is genuinely strange.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

It has nothing to do with the Head Coach who has been here 2 games!

It has to do with the General Manager who has been here 2 1/2 years!

This narrative that the two of them have to be tied together at the hip in order to be successful and that this is Game 2 for the both of them has to stop!

Joe Douglas should be on an extremely hot seat, and if this roster that he has hand-crafted for the last 30 months wins 2 measly games again, he should be gone.

That’s the point. It has nothing to do with Saleh. It’s Douglas.

SAR I

we dont know what we have with Saleh yet but Joe is bad and even worse I see it coming a mile away .. The jets will try to replace the gm and keep the coach yet again.  Joe is not going anywhere this year or next year for sure though so just buckle up as it is going to be bumpy miserable ride. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

we dont know what we have with Saleh yet but Joe is bad and even worse I see it coming a mile away .. The jets will try to replace the gm and keep the coach yet again.  Joe is not going anywhere this year or next year for sure though so just buckle up as it is going to be bumpy miserable ride. 

This concept that the HC and the GM have to be hired at the same time and be BFF's is bullsh-t anyway.

The weak teams in the NFL, that's half the league, find it needle-in-a-haystack tough just to find a single good GM or a single good HC and have been trying for decades without success, so to force them into a philosophy that says they need to find two needles in two haystacks simultaneously is ludicrous.

If we truly are going to build this team the so-called "right way", it 100% depends on a GM who is outstanding at picking players and we no gots.  Joe Douglas has to go if the '21 class is as bad as the '20 class and that doesn't mean dysfunction for '22.  It just means we are trying to get better at the GM spot, no different than trying to get better at LT or QB.  Douglas out, next man up, we try again, keep cycling through GM's until we find the one that is an exceptional player-picker and then we stop.

SAR I

14 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

A good coach knows how to motivate talented players and not give up on them..I like Saleh at this point but he has shown his Achilles heal rather early...he is playing a dangerous game in publicly embarrassing JD with his 2nd round pick of Mims and burying the guy..Woody can't be pleased either.

Just curious but how do you know this to be fact? 

Is it possible Coach and JD speak on a regular basis and mutually agree about handling specific situations?

A lot of assumption with no facts.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This concept that the HC and the GM have to be hired at the same time and be BFF's is bullsh-t anyway.

The weak teams in the NFL, that's half the league, find it needle-in-a-haystack tough just to find a single good GM or a single good HC and have been trying for decades without success, so to force them into a philosophy that says they need to find two needles in two haystacks simultaneously is ludicrous.

If we truly are going to build this team the so-called "right way", it 100% depends on a GM who is outstanding at picking players and we no gots.  Joe Douglas has to go if the '21 class is as bad as the '20 class and that doesn't mean dysfunction for '22.  It just means we are trying to get better at the GM spot, no different than trying to get better at LT or QB.  Douglas out, next man up, we try again, keep cycling through GM's until we find the one that is an exceptional player-picker and then we stop.

SAR I

I would argue most proven gms and most top gm candidates would never want to be saddled with a coach that they did not hire-we have seen this here already. A good gm is harder to find than a good coach. The Jets need to hire a proven guy after Joe in 2024 and they will need to vastly overpay to get one.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

“Not going anywhere anytime soon?” Like you’re shocked lol

The guy was one of the most coveted Head Coaching candidates this offseason + is a rookie HC + with basically a rookie roster…

…and we’re talking about him getting fired already?

He was coveted by teams that suck and were replacing their head coach.  He was not coveted by good teams with good coaches.  

A handful of loser Owners at last call in the bar coveted him.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was coveted by teams that suck and were replacing their head coach.  He was not coveted by good teams with good coaches.  

A handful of loser Owners at last call in the bar coveted him.  

My general experience in NFL hiring is that good teams with good coaches generally do not replace those coaches.

Maybe the exception last year was the Eagles (though they were not good last year), and they interviewed Saleh.

Point being, good teams generally are not searching. Thus, the Jets continually are.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

My general experience in NFL hiring is that good teams with good coaches generally do not replace those coaches.

Maybe the exception last year was the Eagles (though they were not good last year), and they interviewed Saleh.

Point being, good teams generally are not searching. Thus, the Jets continually are.

That was my point.  The loser owners covet coaching candidates.   It doesn't mean by getting the candidate we won the lottery.  It means were losers.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

A good coach knows how to motivate talented players and not give up on them..I like Saleh at this point but he has shown his Achilles heal rather early...he is playing a dangerous game in publicly embarrassing JD with his 2nd round pick of Mims and burying the guy..Woody can't be pleased either.

I don't get this, sorry. Why would a rookie head coach not play someone who would help the team win? Maybe they see things we don't? Maybe Mims  does not know the whole playbook yet and they do not trust him? He'll play this week I'm sure with Crowder still on vacation.

I'm starting to hope we go 0-17, just to spite all the whiny little bitches in this fanbase.

Since at least the middle of last season, when it was clear that Gase was a goner and this whole team was going to be torn down and rebuilt, we were probably looking at a really really bad season this year.

I can't comprehend why this is so shocking to people.

I really enjoy watching Saleh, Gase was the most painful ever. I see a guy that is going to have and build a solid thing here. This guy knows what to expect. Look how well the 4th and 5th round rookies are doing, they are starting. He’s building in the image of Seattle and it will take 3 years but may last a decade.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

I would argue most proven gms and most top gm candidates would never want to be saddled with a coach that they did not hire-we have seen this here already. A good gm is harder to find than a good coach. The Jets need to hire a proven guy after Joe in 2024 and they will need to vastly overpay to get one.  

That's the thing, it's time to stop thinking that the Jets will ever get a top GM or top HC candidate no matter how hard we try or no matter who our quarterback is.  Take that out of your mind.  We are only going to get a top GM or HC by getting lucky, finding some desperate nobody, overpaying, and hoping we got it right.  We've been doing that since Parcells.

What we need to do that's different is to not give these people so much time.  Just whip right through them.  2 years for a GM, 3 years for a HC, on to the next one.  The odds aren't in our favor slowing things down.  Douglas has failed enough in 30 months to show him the door in January, so start interviewing his replacement right now.

SAR I

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He and JD shouldn't be worried about going anywhere, anytime soon. It's been 2 games. 

Oh.  My.  God.

JOE DOUGLAS HAS BEEN HERE FOR 30 MONTHS.  HE HAS MANAGED 2 DRAFTS.  HE HAS PARTICIPATED IN 2.5 FREE AGENT PERIODS.  HE HAD THE GREATEST HEAD START ANY GM HAS EVER HAD BEING HIRED RIGHT AFTER HIS PREDECESSORS DRAFT AND GIVEN 10 FULL MONTHS TO PERPARE FOR HIS FIRST DRAFT.  

THE REBUILD WAS STARTED IN 2017.  DOUGLAS INHERITED A REBUILD ALREADY UNDERWAY.  HE IS NOT GOOD AT PICKING PLAYERS.  HE HAS TO GO.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, McNeil said:

Echoing a recent thread (and sure much of it is Saleh's Zen demeanor):

But Saleh's presser yesterday - he looks like the Jets are the cat's meow. Not 0-2 with arguably the NFL's worst offense. Joking with the media, patiently explaining, cheerful & smiling.

Ya just get the sense the Johnsons have intimated to him: build this program in your own image, we believe in you and we’re going to be patient. And I think JD is in the same boat. Johnsons want to see them together mold a program and see where it’s at in 1-2-3 years.

So considering donning patience hats, folks. For better or worse it seems that's where the Jets are headed.

Actions speak louder than words. If he quits the pissing contest with Mims, I will be more apt to believe his talk.

22 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

Youngest team in the league

Playing the most rookies in the league 

Rookie QB, OC and head coach

Multiple injuries

2 weeks in

Played a good Panthers team close, got blown out by Pats (to be expected)

Some folk need to really re-think their expectations vs reality.

This.

I'm not sure what some folks expected.  2-0 and two Jets blowouts?  

This is all very expected given the situation.  We were not and are not a contender in 2021.  2021 is all about these rookies, all of um players and coaches, getting their feet under them, the system implemented and working, and Wilson to a state of competency at the pro game. 

Winning lots of games and making the playoffs was always reasonably a 2022 goal, not a 2021 goal.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Oh.  My.  God.

JOE DOUGLAS HAS BEEN HERE FOR 30 MONTHS.  HE HAS MANAGED 2 DRAFTS.  HE HAS PARTICIPATED IN 2.5 FREE AGENT PERIODS.  HE HAD THE GREATEST HEAD START ANY GM HAS EVER HAD BEING HIRED RIGHT AFTER HIS PREDECESSORS DRAFT AND GIVEN 10 FULL MONTHS TO PERPARE FOR HIS FIRST DRAFT.  

THE REBUILD WAS STARTED IN 2017.  DOUGLAS INHERITED A REBUILD ALREADY UNDERWAY.  HE IS NOT GOOD AT PICKING PLAYERS.  HE HAS TO GO.

SAR I

He's managed 2 drafts and his draft picks have played a max total of 18 games. I'm not stumping for Joe Douglas but the idea that his job should be in jeopardy right now is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

I'm not sure what some folks expected.  2-0 and two Jets blowouts?  

This is all very expected given the situation.  We were not and are not a contender in 2021.  2021 is all about these rookies, all of um players and coaches, getting their feet under them, the system implemented and working, and Wilson to a state of competency at the pro game. 

Winning lots of games and making the playoffs was always reasonably a 2022 goal, not a 2021 goal.

Agreed. Lower your expectations and don’t believe all the off season Jets hype. The Jets are reigning off season champs for eleventy billion years in a row.

positives are the defense is playing very well and the running game looks good. Baby steps

• Upvote 1