McCaffery out- now let’s see how Sam does

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Remember when we said we should keep him and draft Wilson, doesn’t seem so stupid now.  :) 

Nope.  They never learn.  

There is a bright side CB-  and I know how much you love the bright side-  at least we didn’t keep Darnold and trade #2 for a haul of draft picks for our idiot GM to squander.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Do we have Carolina's pick too?

Oh, right, no.

Stop worrying about the last guy like a jilted lover stalking them on facebook.  Worry about OUR guy.  What Sam Darnold does is irrelevant to us.

We gave the pick up?

LOL, sorry but you might have looked past this just a little too quickly

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nope.  They never learn.  

There is a bright side CB-  and I know how much you love the bright side-  at least we didn’t keep Darnold and trade #2 for a haul of draft picks for our idiot GM to squander.  

SAR I

I mean if we ended up with Sam, Sewell, AVT and Moore, that would have been pretty sweet….

JD needs to finish this rebuild next year or there will be serious issues. He’s had opportunities to at least sign premier oline and passed.

• Upvote 1

PFF'S quick post game take on Sam Darnold last night

CAROLINA PANTHERS

Quarterbacks

Darnold tried to attack the intermediate holes in Houston’s soft zones early in the game before throwing check downs during and after the second quarter. His aversion to pushing the ball down the field was curious given that he regularly had more than three seconds to throw. He finished with an eight-yard average depth of target. He wasn’t helped by his receivers, who dropped four of his passes. Darnold escaped without a turnover in spite of his pair of turnover-worthy plays.

Yup, mea culpa, I'm an idiot.  

"Darnold has been traded from the Jets to the Panthers in exchange for a 2021 NFL Draft sixth-round pick (No. 226) plus second- and fourth-round selections in the 2022 draft".

Ok, obsess over Darnold's performance if you like.  On this topic I should take the common forum advice, if I don't want to read about it, I shouldn't click on the thread.   

My bad, all me, mea culpa, etc.  Abuse away, it's well deserved.

It's week 3 of our new Wilson/Saleh Era, and ~5 or 6 of the top threads today as I write this are all about Sam Darnold as a Panther.  Maybe I am alone on feeling this way, but man that's depressing.  We should have our own players and games to be top of the forums, and yet here we are.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

That late 2nd round pick we get from Carolina will hopefully be worth it and not on IR next year because watching Sam play was a punch in the gut. 

Jets front office. Durability is part of the evaluation process. 

you have no idea what you are talking about

now you blame JD for Lawson Achilles and Crowder Groin  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I mean if we ended up with Sam, Sewell, AVT and Moore, that would have been pretty sweet….

JD needs to finish this rebuild next year or there will be serious issues. He’s had opportunities to at least sign premier oline and passed.

JD could have traded down, stayed in the top 10, and still have taken Sewell or Slater and received at least another 1st in 2022 for the #2 OA.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Bill Parcells would say you are wrong.

I too never forget it....

Yeap there are no symbolic victories or getting less than full credit for beating team X over team Y........

"You Are What Your Record Says you Are"

Bill Parcells

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I too never forget it....

Yeap there are no symbolic victories or getting less than full credit for beating team X over team Y........

"You Are What Your Record Says you Are"

Bill Parcells

Yup.  Win the damn game and move on.  Winning builds a culture.  Hopefully the Jets can start to build that towards the end of this eason

And its really sad that Sam is the biggest topic on this board

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

JD could have traded down, stayed in the top 10, and still have taken Sewell or Slater and received at least another 1st in 2022 for the #2 OA.

Yes JD could have done that, he believes that Wilson would be worth it, we had all better hope that he turns out to be correct!

:) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, doitny said:

sorry but i cant drink the 3-0 kool aid. not against the teams he beat. plus i still see old Sam there.

fumble in week one at the goaline cause he got to close to the FB. the week 2, INT shovel pass. now that we have seen that a few times here. maybe not every one was an INT but they scared the sh*t out of us. and also a fumble too vs the Saints.

and tonight he had 2 fumbles but got lucky he didnt lose any....

you got to do more than beat the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in the NFL and stop having more fumbles than games then you played to get me to even think we blew it. 

Translation:  Even though the Panthers won each game, Sam did not play 3 perfect games so I'm going to harp on his mistakes to avoid having to look at the things he's done very well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

wow i cant believe you guys.

last night was like Michigan beating appalachian state 

and last 2 weeks they beat Brooklyn college and Kent state.

but your beating your chests like the QB you let go to Michigan is good because of it.

Uh huh....There is nobody beating their chest, except you telling us how Sam Darnold's 3-0 start isn't REALLY a 3-0 start.  

• Haha 1

Sam Darnold was vastly underrated on this board.  For two years, the narrative was how he's the 38th ranked quarterback in the league, and it is statistically almost impossible that he can become a middle of the pack quarterback.  All of that was predictably nonsense and didn't see the forest for the trees.  Darnold had absolute garbage around him from top to bottom during his time with the Jets.  This team has STILL not won a regular season football game with any quarterback other than Darnold since he was drafted in 2018 (0-12 record).

With that said, in all likelihood the Panthers would be 3-0 this season with Teddy Bridgewater as their quarterback as well.  Darnold can and very well may be a solid, middle of the pack quarterback, but he still has much to prove in terms of being a true difference maker.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Most of 2020 class he didnt cut are on IR

So say again?

Which player thats injured would you have passed on because you knew they would be injured in 2021?  

Nothing worse than whining about players injured who didnt have an injury history.

Becton?  Davis? Perine?  Clarke? Mann?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Jake DelHomme 2 here in Charlotte.  

That's actually a great comp!

Jake was good, and the years he was surrounded by some excellent talent he played great.  Well enough to get to a Super Bowl that they should have won.  But he was never good enough to really elevate the guys around him.  He couldn't take an 8-win roster and win 10 or 11 games.

I think that's Sam.  If the guys around him are good, he's good.  If the guys around him suck, he kinda sucks.  Can he be great?  hmm...possibly?  But like Delhomme I think it would be during a "catch lightning in a bottle" type season where McCaffrey is healthy all year, the OL is excellent and he has multiple B+ caliber WRs.  In other words, I don't see Darnold taking a team that's average or maybe .500 caliber and elevating them to the playoffs by his play alone.  And, that's what you need today in a QB in the NFL if you want to win playoff games and run towards a SB.  You need a very good team that gets elevated to great when your QB becomes a difference maker on just a few drives during the game or in the 4th quarter.

Sam is basically a golfer who shoots for par.  On a tough course, he shoots over.  With the wind at his back and some friendly greens, he can shoot under par that day.

4 hours ago, doitny said:

wow i cant believe you guys.

last night was like Michigan beating appalachian state 

and last 2 weeks they beat Brooklyn college and Kent state.

but your beating your chests like the QB you let go to Michigan is good because of it.

And the way Zach played last week we couldn't beat Appalachian state, Brooklyn college, or Kent state.

• Haha 2