Season ticket holders- do you keep your tickets more because of the camaraderie of tailgating or thinking the Jets can win?

Matt39

5 minutes ago, BP said:

Lol! If you want to spend that, and blow your whole day to watch an abysmal product on the field Just to be miserable and pissed off. For your ride home, More power to you.

I’ll watch them on tv for free and change the channel and not be pissed off anymore.

how long have you had season tickets, mr money bags?

For a guy who had Season Tickets for 30 years to include through the 80s and Kotite years I wouldnt be judging folks who decide to have them now.

Enjoy the TV.....it will never be the same as live football tho...

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, kmnj said:

there are very little perks. It was MUCH better before PSLS-we had the same seats every year and the same fans next to us. These days the perks for the psls are mostly gone and the folks next to you are different most weeks as the psl owner sells to try and recoup some money. It should be noted I had several psls including the best sections.    

The PSL's were never about perks.  It was about ousting the old timers in Giants Stadium so that 28,000 people on the season ticket waiting list could finally get a fair shot at good seats.

I am forever grateful to Woody Johnson and the PSL's, the Abraham Lincoln and Emancipation Proclamation of frustrated waitlisters such as myself.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

For a guy who had Season Tickets for 30 years to include through the 80s and Kotite years I wouldnt be judging folks who decide to have them now.

Enjoy the TV.....it will never be the same as live football tho...

1998 jax playoff game and 2002 Indy home playoff games were two of the greatest home game experiences ever. Were you there?

I dunno.

because I like my seats,  it’s quality time to spend with my family and because I don’t miss the few thousand every year? 

also maybe because I enjoy the live experience and I’m not a front running fan who only cares about going when they’re good?( Because if that was the case I’d never go)

I can’t argue the new stadium changes the dynamic of having season tickets and the team has been bad for so long they’re not worth the face price, but I guess to me it’s that we’ve had them for 15+ years and  going has become tradition.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BP said:

Lol! If you want to spend that, and blow your whole day to watch an abysmal product on the field Just to be miserable and pissed off. For your ride home, More power to you.

Here in the rebuilding era, we go in with low expectations and look at it as a way to have fun together in the sunshine as a family.  We don't leave miserable or pissed off.  That kind of passion left us in 2016.  It will come back when we're competitive again.

11 minutes ago, BP said:

I’ll watch them on tv for free and change the channel and not be pissed off anymore.

Good.  I'm happy for you.

12 minutes ago, BP said:

how long have you had season tickets, mr money bags?

I was waitlisted at Giants Stadium from 1988 to 2003 but lost patience in 2000.  Early days of eBay, found a guy with Row 1 Mezzanine seats who was a season ticket holder since the Polo Grounds and was retiring from the post office and was selling the rights to his seats.  Paid $10,000 for him to put my name on his postcard and became a season ticket holder in 2001.

So between the eBay buy and the PSL's and the cost of the tickets and parking, in the last 20 years I've spent $129,250 to be a Jets season ticket holder.  Add to that the fact that I lived in New England for 10 of those years and traveled 10 hours round trip to see 5 games per year and the cost of those hotels and refills and tolls, probably more like $150,000.

And that doesn't make me Mr. Money Bags.  Any season ticket holder with 4 seats at $125 each plus parking and tolls would have spent $110,000 in the last 20 years.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, BP said:

How many home playoff games have you been to since you’ve had season tickets?

0. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the gameday experience....

Do I wish the Jets put a better product on the field? Dang right if you follow my posts. 

But I need to live apparently through the "rebuild" now, in which we are supposed to win the super bowl in 2024-2025. At least thats what the folks on here tell me. They get the "plan" They are smarter then me. I just tired of watching the Jets lose

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The PSL's were never about perks.  It was about ousting the old timers in Giants Stadium so that 28,000 people on the season ticket waiting list could finally get a fair shot at good seats.

I am forever grateful to Woody Johnson and the PSL's, the Abraham Lincoln and Emancipation Proclamation of frustrated waitlisters such as myself.

SAR I

they were sold with perks that were taken away-I was a family with seats for most of my life and it was much better before psls and the list was not the only way to get tickets-lots of people back then sold their rights and transferred the ownership to people that wanted them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BP said:

Let me just be clear to the defensive ST holders. I’m not judging you, this is more about the Jets and how I feel. And I didn’t start the thread lol and I’m bored

We're not defensive.  You're offensive.

I'm willing to bet I've spent less money on PSL's and season tickets the last 20 years as you have on cigarettes, beer, and dogs. 

SAR I

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

0. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the gameday experience....

Do I wish the Jets put a better product on the field? Dang right if you follow my posts. 

But I need to live apparently through the "rebuild" now, in which we are supposed to win the super bowl in 2024-2025. At least thats what the folks on here tell me. They get the "plan" They are smarter then me. I just tired of watching the Jets lose

Hey man, that’s fair. Like I said what I posted wasn’t directed at current season ticket holders. It’s more about how I feel. Enjoy the games! 

Just now, SAR I said:

We're not defensive.  You're offensive.

I'm willing to bet I've spent less money on PSL's and season tickets the last 20 years as you have on cigarettes, beer, and dogs. 

SAR I

Oh really? You seem to be VERY SENSITIVE about the subject. FYI  I don’t smoke and don’t have a dog. You got me on beer though. 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Here in the rebuilding era, we go in with low expectations and look at it as a way to have fun together in the sunshine as a family.  We don't leave miserable or pissed off.  That kind of passion left us in 2016.  It will come back when we're competitive again.

Good.  I'm happy for you.

I was waitlisted at Giants Stadium from 1988 to 2003 but lost patience in 2000.  Early days of eBay, found a guy with Row 1 Mezzanine seats who was a season ticket holder since the Polo Grounds and was retiring from the post office and was selling the rights to his seats.  Paid $10,000 for him to put my name on his postcard and became a season ticket holder in 2001.

So between the eBay buy and the PSL's and the cost of the tickets and parking, in the last 20 years I've spent $129,250 to be a Jets season ticket holder.  Add to that the fact that I lived in New England for 10 of those years and traveled 10 hours round trip to see 5 games per year and the cost of those hotels and refills and tolls, probably more like $150,000.

And that doesn't make me Mr. Money Bags.  Any season ticket holder with 4 seats at $125 each plus parking and tolls would have spent $110,000 in the last 20 years.

SAR I

Your journey is fascinating. Crunching numbers that equals to $110,000 to see one home playoff game and the entire Herm era forward. 

More power to you dude! Enjoy the games!

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Aren’t you anti tailgating? The Jets have stunk for a decade…what exactly do you get out of it at this point. I understand it’s play money to you, but damn hauling to the Meadowlands to watch a team not score TD’s doesn’t seem fun especially if you’re not grilling.

1 minute ago, BP said:

Your journey is fascinating. Crunching numbers that equals to $110,000 to see one home playoff game and the entire Herm era forward. 

Wow, like I didn't know that since 2002.  So enlightening.

You need to take a moment, close your eyes, and self-reconcile with the knowledge that to millions of people in the NYC Metro area, $5,500 a year is chump change.  We don't miss the money because we don't need it.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Aren’t you anti tailgating? The Jets have stunk for a decade…what exactly do you get out of it at this point. I understand it’s play money to you, but damn hauling to the Meadowlands to watch a team not score TD’s doesn’t seem fun especially if you’re not grilling.

I never got the whole tailgating thing.  Always seemed like re-living high school with all the boisterous football players getting wasted and acting like they were still teenage heroes and not the grown-up losers they actually were.  When I was single it was a thing, but the 90's are long gone.  I don't find cooking and cleaning up after myself a leisure activity either.  And I go to the games to be present, to pay attention, to not miss a play.  I don't get the alcohol either.

To me, sitting in the stadium is better than watching on TV, and it gets me quality time with my 20 year old offspring who I don't get to see as much as I used to.  That's all it needs to be.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Just now, SAR I said:

I never got the whole tailgating thing.  Always seemed like re-living high school with all the boisterous football players getting wasted and acting like they were still teenage heroes and not the grown-up losers they actually were.  When I was single it was a thing, but the 90's are long gone.  I don't find cooking and cleaning up after myself a leisure activity either.  And I go to the games to be present, to pay attention, to not miss a play.  I don't get the alcohol either.

To me, sitting in the stadium is better than watching on TV, and it gets me quality time with my 20 year old offspring who I don't get to see as much as I used to.  That's all it needs to be.

SAR I

Like I said, no judgement zone there. I’m surprised your son isnt getting sick of the losing though.

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

That was 15k and it is really hard for me to walk away from that kind of money with nothing in return.  

Honest question, what were you expecting in return?  You got exactly what you paid for, no?  Seats to a football game.

The truth is, @SAR I is 100% right here, as much as everyone refuses to or hates to admit it.  PSLs were just an upfront charge.  If the 15K you spent was something you shouldn't have spent on entertainment, then that's not Woody Johnson's fault.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Watching Darnold go 3-0, this is obviously an ownership problem. The Johnsons love the fact that the tri-state folk who will never leave regardless of the taxes will continue to show up on Sundays and tailgate no matter of the pitifulness of the team. Drink beers, have fun- I get it. I love going back to New York and seeing the people on the same barstool where I left them. I love the tradition. Mare of Eastown sh*t. But the owners are banking on the area and this tradition.

I must ask- whats's keeping you spending your money when ownership is laughing at you? No judgement zone either. I love tailgating. It's just the Johnsons have no interest on returning the favor.

People like to go and sit in the same seats.  That's it.  The internet makes it a poor financial transaction.

But, as I essentially said in the post above, buy what you can afford.  Plenty of people who bought PSLs and season tickets presumably couldn't afford them.  Everyone got exactly what they paid for.  The right to buy the same seat to every Jets home game.

58 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yea I got better things to do searching stubhub all week for a different seat each game, next to different people I dont know (in the covid world that matters to me) and get ripped off weekly on parking passes

Every time I buy tickets to a game, it takes me under 10 minutes.

Season tickets do have an intrinsic value for some, but the 10 minutes you save... That's a bad value proposition.  I could pay a high school kid with the preseason money I didn't spent to buy the tickets for me if I couldn't spare the time.  Or, I could just do it myself on my phone while taking a dump.

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

People like to go and sit in the same seats.  That's it.  The internet makes it a poor financial transaction.

But, as I essentially said in the post above, buy what you can afford.  Plenty of people who bought PSLs and season tickets presumably couldn't afford them.  Everyone got exactly what they paid for.  The right to buy the same seat to every Jets home game.

If that’s all it is then hey, Woody has a great deal going for him. Apathy and routine make him a lot of money.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BP said:

I had season tickets for 30 years 1978-2007 and only saw 5 home playoff games. They were $8.00 a ticket in 1978 and you didn’t have to buy pre season tickets.

now it’s 11 years of the shiny 1.6 billion dollar ac vent and all those psl’s and how many home playoff games? And jets tickets were more expensive than giant tickets in 2012 and they won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years. The whole purpose used to be to get first dibs on playoff tix. And Hess would refund your playoff money, not hold onto it for a year like woody does.

see below from a 1980 game day pro magazine

E2696F15-949A-46F6-85C4-4BAF9C768454.jpeg

This sounds like Aesop's Fox and the Grapes. The moral of that classic is that it is natural to scorn/dislike something that is not within your reach.

11 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Honest question, what were you expecting in return?  You got exactly what you paid for, no?  Seats to a football game.

The truth is, @SAR I is 100% right here, as much as everyone refuses to or hates to admit it.  PSLs were just an upfront charge.  If the 15K you spent was something you shouldn't have spent on entertainment, then that's not Woody Johnson's fault.

Never said I couldn’t have spent it. I did and it’s over with. If I could go back I certainly wouldn’t though.  It’s like millions of men who buy that engagement ring. They bought it and years later if they could go back they wouldn’t. I got what I was expecting but it just isn’t fun anymore and it is definitely cheaper on the secondary market. 100%

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

This sounds like Aesop's Fox and the Grapes. The moral of that classic is that it is natural to scorn/dislike something that is not within your reach.

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wow, like I didn't know that since 2002.  So enlightening.

You need to take a moment, close your eyes, and self-reconcile with the knowledge that to millions of people in the NYC Metro area, $5,500 a year is chump change.  We don't miss the money because we don't need it.

SAR I

It’s all good! Have you ever wondered why there’s no longer a waiting list for season tickets?

Just now, BP said:

It’s all good! Have you ever wondered why there’s no longer a waiting list for season tickets?

Actually the Jets were calling me for 10 years begging me to buy season tickets. So there probably is no demand, at all. Makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If that’s all it is then hey, Woody has a great deal going for him. Apathy and routine make him a lot of money.

Isn't the entire leisure industry doing similar.

You can say the Jets are an inferior product, and from a football standpoint, that's certainly true.  But, that's only relevant if you mistakenly think you're buying anything related to the product on the field.  You're buying a seat to a game.  You're buying 3.5 hours of escape from your everyday life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overcome with apathy and don't even want to watch anymore, but I'm actually more compelled to go to a game than watch on TV.  By going to a game, at least I'm doing something.  I'm getting outside, hopefully spending time with friends, and maybe, most notably, hiding from my kids for half a day.  On TV, I'm just kind of sitting in my house wasting a day to watch bad football.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Never said I couldn’t have spent it. I did and it’s over with. If I could go back I certainly wouldn’t though.  It’s like millions of men who buy that engagement ring. They bought it and years later if they could go back they wouldn’t. I got what I was expecting but it just isn’t fun anymore and it is definitely cheaper on the secondary market. 100%

The fun has to be in the experience going to the game, not in the product on the field.  It is not, nor was it ever going to be a sound financial decision, and I imagine, there's a long list of things we all spent money on for fun, and then they're over, and we could have done something else with that money.

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You can say the Jets are an inferior product, and from a football standpoint, that's certainly true.  But, that's only relevant if you mistakenly think you're buying anything related to the product on the field.  You're buying a seat to a game.  You're buying 3.5 hours of escape from your everyday life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overcome with apathy and don't even want to watch anymore, but I'm actually more compelled to go to a game then watch on TV.  By going to a game, at least I'm doing something.  I'm getting outside, hopefully spending time with friends, and maybe, most notably, hiding from my kids for half a day.  On TV, I'm just kind of sitting in my house wasting a day to watch bad football.

Yep, I agree. Not paying for the result yiur paying for the escape from everyday life. “The food at the buffet isn’t always that good, but I always   leave full.” That’s what I always say. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

Simple and honest answer is because I feel stuck.  I bought two PSL's and I can honestly say it is the dumbest thing I have ever bought in my life.  That was 15k and it is really hard for me to walk away from that kind of money with nothing in return.  So stupidly I give in and buy my seats every year and try to make the best of it.  September/October it is pretty easy to find someone to go to the games with me but after that none of my friends have any interest and I don't even ask them to pay for the ticket and at times I sell my seats at a loss.  I guess the correct thing for me to do is walk away and just eat the 15k and not give away more of my money but I always have a little hope that we may finally get good again.  Buying those PSL's was my worst purchase and hell I've bought plenty of stupid things in my life.  

I feel like I could've/should've written this myself.  Anymore, I can't find anyone to go with.  Can't blame them.  This team is amateur hour.  Last time my wife went with me, she stayed in the Rum bar till it closed and then sat out in the West gate area getting a tan. 

It's just pure loss.  Tickets are worthless on the resale market.  Owners don't seem to care about game experience and not the actual game.  I'd sit on a milk crate to watch a winner. 

I've wanted to walk away for a while now.  I'll probably hold out for a little while longer. 

PSL's were nothing more than a cash grab.  The team has been worse since having them.  It's quite clear they didn't help.

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm overcome with apathy and don't even want to watch anymore, but I'm actually more compelled to go to a game than watch on TV.  By going to a game, at least I'm doing something.  I'm getting outside, hopefully spending time with friends, and maybe, most notably, hiding from my kids for half a day.  On TV, I'm just kind of sitting in my house wasting a day to watch bad football.

Good way of looking at it.