Jump to content

Season ticket holders- do you keep your tickets more because of the camaraderie of tailgating or thinking the Jets can win?


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

The fun has to be in the experience going to the game, not in the product on the field.  It is not, nor was it ever going to be a sound financial decision, and I imagine, there's a long list of things we all spent money on for fun, and then they're over, and we could have done something else with that money.

All totally true…but it’s a bit depressing knowing that the guys who own the team know this- thereby having no incentive to win. There isn’t any competitive fire in the Jets ownership group that drives the Tepper’s and Krafts of the world. Fans enjoying themselves first and winning second isn’t how the Steelers for example operate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple and honest answer is because I feel stuck.  I bought two PSL's and I can honestly say it is the dumbest thing I have ever bought in my life.  That was 15k and it is really hard for me to walk a

for me being a jet fan and going to games was a way of life-I went for over 40 years going back to shea as a kid with my father. I have attended over 300 games at home and on the road-I have sat throu

Oh stop….The Johnsons don’t coach, they don’t draft, they don’t call plays, and they don’t play games on the field. The Johnsons aren’t perfect but they hired the GM you all wanted, who hired the

Posted Images

We've had season tickets for about 15 years now. I live in upstate NY so imagine driving from the Syracuse area for home games only to drive home disappointed 90% of the time? Tailgating is a blast but holysh*t is it deflating when you have to do a 3.5 hour drive home after they lose.  It was nice having them during our playoff runs but we found ourselves going to half of the games and selling the others. Mostly due to a newborn but that excuse can only last a few more years before I have to drag that poor little guy to the games with me haha.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

All totally true…but it’s a bit depressing knowing that the guys who own the team know this- thereby having no incentive to win. There isn’t any competitive fire in the Jets ownership group that drives the Tepper’s and Krafts of the world. Fans enjoying themselves first and winning second isn’t how the Steelers for example operate.

I would take this a step further.

I worry that the players make such incredible sums of money, that there's very limited motivation for them to try.  A 1st round pick has generational wealth before stepping on the field.  Yes, they need to perform to get a massive second contract, but for some, the first 20M+ is surely enough.

It's unclear to me, however, what ownership should be doing differently right now though.  Douglas (who I get you didn't love) was extremely highly regarded prior to his hiring and widely praised around the league and by the pundits.  As was Saleh.

The Steelers and Patriots have had the luxury of not having to chase a QB for a very long time.  Same with the Packers and we saw it with the Colts.  Jets have blown a ton of capital on the most expensive and hardest position to get right.  I see that as the biggest differentiator. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting topic.  If I lived in the area, I think I'd be a season ticket holder.   I love live sports.  It's fun.  I love tailgating.  Anytime I've been to a JN tailgate, I've had a blast.  Marvin Jones tried to pick up my wife.  

Hell, I used to have season tickets to Jags games and I'd just go to the stadium and watch the Jets inside and never go to my seats.  lol.  I was single, the Jags games are huge parties and tailgates are elaborate, woman everywhere, always an after party, have a ton of great stories from those days.  

Dont have those stories sitting on the couch.  And lord knows I'll find a stupid way to spend that money on something else.

The problem I had with season tickets is that we only ended up going to maybe 3 games a year, due to kids activities on the weekends.  As I’ve gotten older my desire to go to the games has declined.   I was fortunate enough to be able to unload my PSLs shortly after they instituted them.  I used that PSL money to fund the golf club membership.  I get way more enjoyment out of that.   Now if we feel like going to a game we just grab some tickets from stubhub for half of face value.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has their thing 

some guys hunt

some guys spend a few hours a day at the gym 

seen guys pour money into cars 

seen guys spend 800 dollars on some hobby guns 

some guys drink smoke wtx

some guys eat out 5 days a week

Everyone has their thing. I’m happy going to the Games. It’s outside, it’s with people, it’s live. Sorry I can sit in my living room the other 6 days of the week and the road games

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Like I said, no judgement zone there. I’m surprised your son isnt getting sick of the losing though.

We did the right thing in 2016, when Fitzpatrick was awful, when our new owner announced the rebuild.  We got behind saying goodbye to expensive veterans and for Sucking For Sam in '17, for watching Sam have a mulligan rookie year in '18, for seeing his late season growth in '19.  That's 3 years.  But '20 was awful.  And '21 looks just as bad.  '22 looks like more rebuilding.  That's 6 years. 

When we get a good GM in here, things will get better.  Until then, the chicken tender basket is really good.

SAR I 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting topic.  If I lived in the area, I think I'd be a season ticket holder.   I love live sports.  It's fun.  I love tailgating.  Anytime I've been to a JN tailgate, I've had a blast.  Marvin Jones tried to pick up my wife.  

Hell, I used to have season tickets to Jags games and I'd just go to the stadium and watch the Jets inside and never go to my seats.  lol.  I was single, the Jags games are huge parties and tailgates are elaborate, women everywhere, always an after party, have a ton of great stories from those days.  

Dont have those stories sitting on the couch.  And lord knows I'll find a stupid way to spend that money on something else.

Yes, great stories. Mercedes Lewis FTW! Haha 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Honest question, what were you expecting in return?  You got exactly what you paid for, no?  Seats to a football game.

The truth is, @SAR I is 100% right here, as much as everyone refuses to or hates to admit it.  PSLs were just an upfront charge.  If the 15K you spent was something you shouldn't have spent on entertainment, then that's not Woody Johnson's fault.

This.

PSL holders signed an agreement in 2008 and paid the money in 2009.  That's a decision made 14 years ago, folks.  The money is long gone.  No PSL holder cares about this anymore, and acting like its still a relevant reason to hate the Johnsons is ridiculous.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Every time I buy tickets to a game, it takes me under 10 minutes.

Season tickets do have an intrinsic value for some, but the 10 minutes you save... That's a bad value proposition.  I could pay a high school kid with the preseason money I didn't spent to buy the tickets for me if I couldn't spare the time.  Or, I could just do it myself on my phone while taking a dump.

If $3,800 per year is such a hardship, you shouldn't be going to any games at all.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Everyone has their thing 

some guys hunt

some guys spend a few hours a day at the gym 

seen guys pour money into cars 

seen guys spend 800 dollars on some hobby guns 

some guys drink smoke wtx

some guys eat out 5 days a week

Everyone has their thing. I’m happy going to the Games. It’s outside, it’s with people, it’s live. Sorry I can sit in my living room the other 6 days of the week and the road games

Well said guys but eating out 5 times a week seems a little judgmental to a guy that eats out 5 times a day plus another 5 at home. There is room on this big blue marble for all of us. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This.

PSL holders signed an agreement in 2008 and paid the money in 2009.  That's a decision made 14 years ago, folks.  The money is long gone.  No PSL holder cares about this anymore, and acting like its still a relevant reason to hate the Johnsons is ridiculous.

SAR I

Yes, plenty of other reasons, that’s for sure. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If that’s all it is then hey, Woody has a great deal going for him. Apathy and routine make him a lot of money.

You act like this is some new news or that it's something unique to Jets fans.

Each season there are 4 teams with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations and 6 teams that have an outside chance.  Fans of the other 22 teams go to the games to watch young players develop, to hang out with friends, or spend time with family.

A set of 4 season tickets will set a season ticket holder back $5,000.  Owning a dog for a calendar year is a $4,300 expense.  A pack-a-day smoker spends $4,700 per year.

Stop smoking, shoot your dog, then you can talk to us about what a "waste" of money looks like.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BP said:

It’s all good! Have you ever wondered why there’s no longer a waiting list for season tickets?

No need to wonder, I know exactly why.  Three factors in play:

1 - The so-called "loyal" Giants Stadium season ticket holder was nothing more than an opportunist who sold half their tickets for 2x face value and went to the rest of the games for free.  I know a guy who had 14 lower level midfield seats in his and his uncle's name and they never went to the games at all.  They sold all 14 seats to brokers for 4x face value and put their kids through college with the money, he bragged that the Jets bought him a Mercedes every time they made a coaching change.  When the Jets asked them to pay what they were actually worth, they gave them up.

2 - Some of that group did relocate in MetLife because we were a playoff team but cheaped-out and went to the upper deck and stayed there until 2012 when it was clear the Ryan Era was over and we were going back to the dark ages.  Because Woody Johnson did what the Giants didn't-  did not put a PSL in the upper deck-  these turncoat fairweather fans stopped attending games.

3 - As a result of #1 and #2, all the waitlisters had a clear runway to buy the best seats they could afford and did so in 2009. 

That's why there is no waitlist.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kolchak said:

PSL's were nothing more than a cash grab. 

No, they weren't.

PSL's were a tool to oust old time Giants Stadium profiteers from their seats so that loyal waitlisters could get them.

And if the Jets ever do get it right and suddenly become an elite team and a must-have ticket, I could sell my PSL's for more than I paid for them quite easily.

The "cash grab" were spoiled entitled pretend fans who got 40 yard line lower level seats for $50 that were worth $250 and sold them to brokers for $200.  Good riddance.

SAR I

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You act like this is some new news or that it's something unique to Jets fans.

Each season there are 4 teams with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations and 6 teams that have an outside chance.  Fans of the other 22 teams go to the games to watch young players develop, to hang out with friends, or spend time with family.

A set of 4 season tickets will set a season ticket holder back $5,000.  Owning a dog for a calendar year is a $4,300 expense.  A pack-a-day smoker spends $4,700 per year.

Stop smoking, shoot your dog, then you can talk to us about what a "waste" of money looks like.

SAR I

Don’t think I ever said it’s a waste. You’re just making it evident that it’s not tied to winning though either.  The Jets haven’t made the playoffs going on 11 straight years. The next longest drought is half of that. The expansion Browns are the only team with a longer one over the last 25 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kolchak said:

PSL's were nothing more than a cash grab. 

What isn't?

I've spent 20K on a garage addition and we haven't even cracked dirt yet.  Architects, Civil Engineers, Variances, Lawyers, Permits, etc.

I took my kids to Legoland... $250 to get in and then $13 for a soda.

Everyone's got their hands in your pockets, whatever you do.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Don’t think I ever said it’s a waste. You’re just making it evident that it’s not tied to winning though either.  The Jets haven’t made the playoffs going on 11 straight years. The next longest drought is half of that. The expansion Browns are the only team with a longer one over the last 25 years.

I have attended more movies that sucked than I have that were epic.  Should I be angry at movie theater owners because I made a decision to have a fun night out with the wife?

My four kids have lost more soccer, baseball, football, and hockey games than I can count, and all-in the last 20 years that's cost me significantly more than my PSL's and season tickets.  Should I sue every little league they were involved in for making my kids lose confidence and go to bed crying?

I really don't know what point you are trying to get at.  That sports is 95% suffering and losing?  We know that.  But the 5% that is glory and winning?  When that happens it wipes it all away.  Ask me what it was like to be at Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals.  Ask me what it was like when my tears of joy hit the Madison Square Garden floor.  It felt so good I don't care about what happened before or since.  I'm good with the Rangers.  The Yankees too.  When the Jets win it all it's going to be glorious.  

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What isn't?

I've spent 20K on a garage addition and we haven't even cracked dirt yet.  Architects, Civil Engineers, Variances, Lawyers, Permits, etc.

I took my kids to Legoland... $250 to get in and then $13 for a soda.

Everyone's got their hands in your pockets, whatever you do.

True, but a license to buy a ticket feels like double dipping.  Besides, your garage will be a nice one.  And I'm sure the soda tasted good.  The Jets blow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, they weren't.

PSL's were a tool to oust old time Giants Stadium profiteers from their seats so that loyal waitlisters could get them.

And if the Jets ever do get it right and suddenly become an elite team and a must-have ticket, I could sell my PSL's for more than I paid for them quite easily.

The "cash grab" were spoiled entitled pretend fans who got 40 yard line lower level seats for $50 that were worth $250 and sold them to brokers for $200.  Good riddance.

SAR I

I firmly disagree that you will ever be able to sell your psl’s for a profit. I’d bet you couldn’t ever get .25 on the dollar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kolchak said:

True, but a license to buy a ticket feels like double dipping.  Besides, your garage will be a nice one.  And I'm sure the soda tasted good.  The Jets blow. 

The Jets haven't raised ticket prices since 2008.

I expected my $125 Giants Stadium seats to go up in price to $175 or $200 in the brand new stadium.  And they didn't.

The PSL on my seats was $4,000.  In the 12 years the stadium has been open I didn't spend the $50 or $75 that I anticipated the tickets prices would increase by.

$50 x 10 games x 12 years = $6,000

By not raising ticket prices a penny in 12 years, the Jets have paid off my PSL and then some.

Stop talking about things you don't understand.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

True, but a license to buy a ticket feels like double dipping.  Besides, your garage will be a nice one.  And I'm sure the soda tasted good.  The Jets blow. 

It's sort of like a country club in that regard.  Large initiation fee and then yearly dues.

And the garage will be adequate - I'm fixing a problem - and I was too cheap to buy the soda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

I firmly disagree that you will ever be able to sell your psl’s for a profit. I’d bet you couldn’t ever get .25 on the dollar. 

Row 1, Mezzanine Corners, 4 seats including aisle, $125 per game, less than a yard away from Club Seats that cost $270 per game.  Best view and best value in the house for someone who doesn't want a club seat or a hike to the upper deck.

I could sell these today for what I paid for them.  And if the Jets get good, significantly more.  There aren't that many great seats in the stadium that aren't club seats.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

It's sort of like a country club in that regard.  Large initiation fee and then yearly dues.

And the garage will be adequate - I'm fixing a problem - and I was too cheap to buy the soda.

That's a pretty good analogy with the CC. 

Anyhow, good luck with construction.  Did a kitchen/family room last year.  It can be an adventure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Dumb thread. Sorry. 

It’s more then just the game and record. It’s the experience, it’s the friends the family you hang with. Bonding with your son or daughters.
Nobody cares about Woody. 

Everyone agrees there's a camaraderie to it, especially if you go with friends. That's how it was. We jumped out after 2 years of PSL payments. An  NFL team was not going to sue it's own fans. 

But even among friends, it became obvious the Jets in the new garbage stadium had become very expensive and a bad product. At first it was hard to way away, but really still going is throwing good money after bad. There were too many days you walked out of there pissed off again, to sit in traffic for 2+ hours. You don't have those problems on your couch or in a bar.  

Simply out of all the stadiums and arenas that are relatively new, given the cost of MetLife it is shocking what an appallingly crappy place it is. Okay the sight lines are good and ...that's about it. Again, it's as if they built this stadium without anyone involved ever having been to an NFL game nor a big concert. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The problem I had with season tickets is that we only ended up going to maybe 3 games a year, due to kids activities on the weekends.  As I’ve gotten older my desire to go to the games has declined.   I was fortunate enough to be able to unload my PSLs shortly after they instituted them.  I used that PSL money to fund the golf club membership.  I get way more enjoyment out of that.   Now if we feel like going to a game we just grab some tickets from stubhub for half of face value.  

Think this played a role because everyone I went with was having kids , all about the same ages, including me. If you spend evenings and weekends at hockey, baseball, CYO hoops and HS football, you really start getting your fill of live sports. Among my friends, my son wound up playing HS and D2 football, another's son played high level HS and club baseball, another HS and D3 soccer. Comes a point dragging you ass to as unpleasant a place as MetLife is pointless.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

That's a pretty good analogy with the CC. 

Anyhow, good luck with construction.  Did a kitchen/family room last year.  It can be an adventure.

Thanks.

It's been a nightmare.  We combined two rooms in the first floor as well, and that small project was an adventure.  We're going to do the floors throughout the main floor and the kitchen with it.  That should be, as you say, quite the adventure.  Though, I imagine anything will be easy in comparison to this garage.  Dealing with Zoning and Engineering was the issue, and that won't happen inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They are rich because they were given it. It matters. When you email your invoice youre sending it to guys who are laughing at you. 10 years of no playoffs. Pathetic hires. Pathetic drafts of first round picks who cant get a job in Canada. real talk fam

do we tell you how to spend your money or your life?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No need to wonder, I know exactly why.  Three factors in play:

1 - The so-called "loyal" Giants Stadium season ticket holder was nothing more than an opportunist who sold half their tickets for 2x face value and went to the rest of the games for free.  I know a guy who had 14 lower level midfield seats in his and his uncle's name and they never went to the games at all.  They sold all 14 seats to brokers for 4x face value and put their kids through college with the money, he bragged that the Jets bought him a Mercedes every time they made a coaching change.  When the Jets asked them to pay what they were actually worth, they gave them up.

2 - Some of that group did relocate in MetLife because we were a playoff team but cheaped-out and went to the upper deck and stayed there until 2012 when it was clear the Ryan Era was over and we were going back to the dark ages.  Because Woody Johnson did what the Giants didn't-  did not put a PSL in the upper deck-  these turncoat fairweather fans stopped attending games.

3 - As a result of #1 and #2, all the waitlisters had a clear runway to buy the best seats they could afford and did so in 2009. 

That's why there is no waitlist.

SAR I

the bolded is for the most part is nonsense with the exception or a few rare folks . I had seats on the 45 yard line row one for a bunch of years and the same fans were there week in and week out year in year out. It is the current fan that dumps his tickets on the secondary market-you included. Back in the day for the most part if you wanted to sell tickets-which was illegal at a profit and at the stadium you sold them on paterson plank with a cardboard sign 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What isn't?

I've spent 20K on a garage addition and we haven't even cracked dirt yet.  Architects, Civil Engineers, Variances, Lawyers, Permits, etc.

I took my kids to Legoland... $250 to get in and then $13 for a soda.

Everyone's got their hands in your pockets, whatever you do.

I took the kids to Barnum and Bailey Circus  15 years ago and called the guy with the light up swirly cups with basically a slushy in it and ordered three. He said, $48. A decade and a half ago!  This is nothing new, been like this forever, strange it still surprises people. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Thanks.

It's been a nightmare.  We combined two rooms in the first floor as well, and that small project was an adventure.  We're going to do the floors throughout the main floor and the kitchen with it.  That should be, as you say, quite the adventure.  Though, I imagine anything will be easy in comparison to this garage.  Dealing with Zoning and Engineering was the issue, and that won't happen inside.

The last 10% of any home rebuild/reno is a f__in' nightmare. Along with the rise in costs since COVID, it's totally insane. Good luck and keep your sense of humor. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Aren’t you anti tailgating? The Jets have stunk for a decade…what exactly do you get out of it at this point. I understand it’s play money to you, but damn hauling to the Meadowlands to watch a team not score TD’s doesn’t seem fun especially if you’re not grilling.

maybe he likes spending time with his kids at the game?  l know my son loves going to the game with me and we have a great time - win or lose.

you have left NY area and hate ownership.  why not just root for another team.

to me moving out of NY like you did doesn't seem like fun.  but is anyone telling you you are stupid?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is for the most part is nonsense with the exception or a few rare folks . I had seats on the 45 yard line row one for a bunch of years and the same fans were there week in and week out year in year out. It is the current fan that dumps his tickets on the secondary market-you included. Back in the day for the most part if you wanted to sell tickets-which was illegal at a profit and at the stadium you sold them on paterson plank with a cardboard sign 

 

 

There also wasn’t a majority of opposing fans in the stadium back then either. Well maybe the Steelers lol but not like it is now

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...