Season ticket holders- do you keep your tickets more because of the camaraderie of tailgating or thinking the Jets can win?

Matt39

On the positive side, cheap seats on the secondary market and less night games.

Yes, but go look at seats for a Cleveland game. A team that very recently got good. I dont think people realize just how unaffordable they would become because neither NY team is good right now. The economy is good. But even in a good economy people dont want to see bad entertainment events.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Watching Darnold go 3-0, this is obviously an ownership problem. The Johnsons love the fact that the tri-state folk who will never leave regardless of the taxes will continue to show up on Sundays and tailgate no matter of the pitifulness of the team. Drink beers, have fun- I get it. I love going back to New York and seeing the people on the same barstool where I left them. I love the tradition. Mare of Eastown sh*t. But the owners are banking on the area and this tradition.

I must ask- whats's keeping you spending your money when ownership is laughing at you? No judgement zone either. I love tailgating. It's just the Johnsons have no interest on returning the favor.

Obviously its an ownership problem.  Holy shlt this place is almost unreadable 

17 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Do you think this is true?

Hard to justify paying a PSL today, even in a more competitive market, as the stadium is now 15 years old.

Thoughts.....

- I remember when I got out of college and started to do well and thinking of the things I really enjoyed and being a Jets season ticket holder was right up there.  Every May, thousands of teen Jets fans grow up and graduate and get high paying jobs in Manhattan and going to games is still as fun as ever.  Manhattan is a season ticket holder factory.  Different than other teams and cities.  We're unique.

- When you divide the stadium into chunks, remove the Suites, remove the pricey Club seats, remove the distant Upper Deck, you're left with around 35,000 seats that you would call reasonable price/reasonable view PSL seats and those will always be desirable.  Average STH has 3 seats, so it only takes about 10,000 people in a metropolis of 20M to buy them all up.  And I'd guess that 80% of them are still in the hands of their original owners.

- What costs $4,000 today is the equivalent of what cost $3,000 back in 2009.  And at the half-life of the stadium, people can still see the value in that.  $4,000 is $266 per year or $24 a game, that's beer & hot dog money to buy your way into the exact seats you want.

- Compared to the cost of other sports, the Jets are positively cheap.  A decent seat to a Yankee game is $200 and they play 81 home games.  Rangers are $250 and up and a 41 game commitment.  Knicks probably similar.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BP said:

There also wasn’t a majority of opposing fans in the stadium back then either. Well maybe the Steelers lol but not like it is now

A large reason was opposing fans had to travel to the stadium to try and scalp tickets . Since the advent or ebay/stubhub/TM fans can buy/sell seats from their computers. The secondary market for tickets pretty much doomed the dominant home team crowd , in the past there were always opposing fans but not to the extent they are now. And its not just a problem for the Jets , look at any home stadium on Sunday and you'll see many opposing fans especially in division games. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

A large reason was opposing fans had to travel to the stadium to try and scalp tickets . Since the advent or ebay/stubhub/TM fans can buy/sell seats from their computers. The secondary market for tickets pretty much doomed the dominant home team crowd , in the past there were always opposing fans but not to the extent they are now. And its not just a problem for the Jets , look at any home stadium on Sunday and you'll see many opposing fans especially in division games. 

yep and people forget that in NJ it was actually illegal to scalp tickets /sell for a profit -it was like guys trying to sell weed back in the day-I remember many a day people walking by whispering got tickets I need two or I got two who needs tickets 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Works both ways, Charlotte had alot Jet Fans.....

You can usually gauge how many away fans by two factors

1) Geographic distance from stadium (which is why we will see lots of Eagles fan in December for example)

2) Bandwagon Homers (ie Cowboy/Steeler fans are EVERYWHERE) 

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

yep and people forget that in NJ it was actually illegal to scalp tickets /sell for a profit -it was like guys trying to sell weed back in the day-I remember many a day people walking by whispering got tickets I need two or I got two who needs tickets 

Wow.. I did not know that! I remember scalpers screaming in the parking lot at Shea back in the day. But not ever at giants stadium.

36 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Walking through that old rickety tunnel bridge lol

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Your huge ass HDTV and comfy couch are a better experience. Movie theaters are going to have the same issue going forward. 

Yeah, the 90’s had those horrible huge projector TVs in the bars and TVs were expensive back then. Now they’re huge but skinny in HD and they’re cheap as hell.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Your huge ass HDTV and comfy couch are a better experience. Movie theaters are going to have the same issue going forward. 

Someone brought up Foxboro. Been up there a few times since my kid went to school in Massholia. Give Kraft this; he had the foresight to see replacing a dump like Schaefer Stadium wasn't enough. You needed to make it a destination; hotels, restaurants, bars and clubs people will want to go to even when there isn't a game or a concert. The Meadowlands has a track with it's sports book and the weirdness of "Xanadu", but they aren't really coordinated nor put together. It really should be more sythesized and it's not. So you are still walking through a tunnel over Route 3 that smells of piss. Also being treated like a criminal when you enter, and worse than that if you take the train. It's not a pleasant place at all. There's nothing special about it. In fact it's a dump. 

Goes back to the folks who had their wallets lined and placed a football stadium in the middle of nowhere.   A toxic decision on many levels.

• Upvote 3

I thoroughly enjoyed my season ticket run 23+ years I waited on the waiting list and every year got that little post card with your new wait list #on it.   Sat through a lot of dismal seasons but regret nothing.  Someday would like to get back into it with PSL and some decent seats. The NY Jets need to put a better product on the field for me to do that. Enjoy guys being at the stadium is good times nothing better than being there in person. Now its big HD-TV and the luxuries of home free parking included. 

joewilly12 

• Upvote 2

I don’t know if anybody remembers, but Jets home games were blacked out up until 1979. The Jets were marketing selling their season  tickets in the summer of 1978 on wPLJ (NY’s rock station back then). It went from they couldn’t give them away to a waiting list in less than 5 years.

meanwhile the Giants home games were never blacked out. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Someone brought up Foxboro. Been up there a few times since my kid went to school in Massholia. Give Kraft this; he had the foresight to see replacing a dump like Schaefer Stadium wasn't enough. You needed to make it a destination; hotels, restaurants, bars and clubs people will want to go to even when there isn't a game or a concert. The Meadowlands has a track with it's sports book and the weirdness of "Xanadu", but they aren't really coordinated nor put together. It really should be more sythesized and it's not. So you are still walking through a tunnel over Route 3 that smells of piss. Also being treated like a criminal when you enter, and worse than that if you take the train. It's not a pleasant place at all. There's nothing special about it. In fact it's a dump. 

Meadowlands would never be that.  Too close to Manhattan that you may as well go to Manhattan.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Works both ways, Charlotte had alot Jet Fans.....

You can usually gauge how many away fans by two factors

1) Geographic distance from stadium (which is why we will see lots of Eagles fan in December for example)

2) Bandwagon Homers (ie Cowboy/Steeler fans are EVERYWHERE) 

Also, we take it for granted but New York City is a major tourist attraction in this country. Minnesota Vikings fans a few years ago, see the Statue of Liberty, go up the Empire State Building, walk the High Line, see the Intrepid, visit the Museum Of Natural History, see the leaves change in Central Park.   It’s all very convenient to the stadium and most of it free.  

We will always have a ton more enemy fans because this is a magnificent city to visit.  

SAR I

2 hours ago, BP said:

Wow.. I did not know that! I remember scalpers screaming in the parking lot at Shea back in the day. But not ever at giants stadium.

At Giants Stadium in the 80s I spent a ton of time where the scalpers hung out, right by where the buses from Port Authority pulled in.  And I spent many of those times jumping back on the bus and missing the entire first half of the game because I could not get a ticket.  Fake Spike being one of those.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

At Giants Stadium in the 80s I spent a ton of time where the scalpers hung out, right by where the buses from Port Authority pulled in.  And I spent many of those times jumping back on the bus and missing the entire first half of the game because I could not get a ticket.  Fake Spike being one of those.  

SAR I

If only you could have afforded season tickets when you were younger and poor lol 

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Also, we take it for granted but New York City is a major tourist attraction in this country. Minnesota Vikings fans a few years ago, see the Statue of Liberty, go up the Empire State Building, walk the High Line, see the Intrepid, visit the Museum Of Natural History, see the leaves change in Central Park.   It’s all very convenient to the stadium and most of it free.  

We will always have a ton more enemy fans because this is a magnificent city to visit.  

SAR I

We had a JN Norwegian tailgate in 2007 lol 50 Norwegian guests that @Maxman coordinated and legendary Harley tailgate chef @De-Jet-Erate/Duane did the cooking in front of the Kingsley 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Never once scalping tickets  at Giants stadium that we  didn't get  into the game. 

Sometimes we had to pay a premium price but it didn't matter. 

We made the trip to see the NY Jets play and weren't going home not seeing them. 

joewilly12 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Never once scalping tickets  at Giants stadium that we  didn't get  into the game. 

Sometimes we had to pay a premium price but it didn't matter. 

We made the trip to see the NY Jets play and weren't going home not seeing them. 

joewilly12 

I wasn’t a Rolex-wearing BMW-driving elitist back then.  80’s and early 90’s I was living in Manhattan, and while I had a series of very nice apartments discretionary funds were hard to come by.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You guys can complain all you want. My father who took me to a million games including my first in 1980 just passes away. Idc what it costs me or how bad they play. I will continue to have a great day drinking and eating with my family and friends at these games.

Sorry for your loss, RSJ.  And I agree with your sentiments exactly.  The team may be bad, but the time we spend there with our family makes it all worthwhile.

SAR I