QB school breakdown of Wilson’s picks

Uncle Nicco

The point being used that people don't seem to understand, and I'm not pro or anti Mims, I'd like to see him play, whatever Coaches do what they do. 

Basically WR1 does WR1 stuff, WR2 and WR3 do their stuff as well.  Most of the time WR4 and WR5 and just standing on the sidelines watching the game, unless you see one of the guys out there raise their arm to come off the field to get a breather.  Then WR4 or WR5 will run in and play WR1 or WR2 or WR3 for that play.  This is why they talk about those lower tier guys having to know all the routes.  After that play, they come off.  If there is an injury, same deal.  That's why they want those guys to play Special teams or have a some kind of dual use so for them in the game.  IF you can't do all that, and you don't do the other, it's hard to get put out there.

Commence arguing about stuff again, hopefully this clears up some confusion.

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying Tannehill and Darnold are great...because they're not.  But they're showing that coaching matters and both of them look like they'll be longterm, fairly successful QBs in the NFL.

Wilson is absolutely good enough to be a longterm NFL starter.  He needs the right coaching and support.  That will determine whether he becomes good or great.  It could also determine whether the Jets continue to wash, rinse, repeat on Top 3 QBs.

IMO... LaFleur and this offense MUST look better by the middle and end of the season.  We should be judging them in quarters (yes, it's a 17 game season now.  damn!) But in groups of 4-5 games we need to progress and Wilson MUST be playing better at the end of the season than the beginning.  Otherwise, LaFleur has to go.  No more giving coaches a second season to figure things out, we need to cut the cord quick which the Jets didn't do with Gase and Loggains.  I don't care if Wilson would need to learn a new system in only his second year.... it happens all the time.  Darnold is in a new system now (his 3rd in 4 seasons), all rookies are in new systems as they enter the NFL, etc.  Wilson is smart enough and has arm talent and mobility.  We need the right teacher.

RIP Greg Knapp.  What might have been!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KO91 said:

The kids footwork is an absolute mess. He’s going to struggle with these timing routes. 

The thing is.  It wasn’t a mess in week one.  
and that’s what scares the ever loving heck out of me.  Because he got beat up in week one he’s already playing scared.  

If this is actually the case - ZW stands no chance of being in the league in five years.  

13 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Whoa whoa whoa.
You’re telling me there’s mistakes with a rookie qb and rookie wr and a rookie OC in their first year of the system, in their 2nd game together?????

I am for one, am stunned. 

Im sorry but if you can’t design an offense and call plays you shouldn’t be an oc. This is not a position where you can learn on the job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

While it does cause concern for play design, it was only a handful of plays, and I would imagine the staff can make the appropriate adjustments.

I am concerned that Wilson seems to be forcing plays to Moore. I know they want to be a dynamic duo, but Wilson can't do that. And I do believe that, ironically, Moore needs to improve on his route running. On the one play, he was less interested in his prime responsibility of making a legal pick than he was with his release and being a target.  

I did a film review on Moore leading up to the draft and this was all over the place on his college tape. He's a talented kid, but he has a tendency to dog it if he isn't the primary target on a play. It's like Robby all over again (except without the height). 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'm not trying to make light of a horrible event, but I wonder how much the unexpected death of Greg Knapp is affecting Wilson and this offense. 

It’s a tremendous loss. He was the one with a ton of experience and would’ve basically been attached to Wilson’s hip as a QB coach. Very unfortunate and sad but have to move forward somehow.  It’s gonna take time. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

So inconclusion Lafleur is complete trash and has no idea how to draw up a play

Sadly, this seems to be a big part of it.  Yes, Zach made the wrong choices on a few of those, and that can be be easily corrected.  The play designs are much more concerning to me.   I sure hope Lafluer improves soon...

21 hours ago, Origen said:

The point being used that people don't seem to understand, and I'm not pro or anti Mims, I'd like to see him play, whatever Coaches do what they do. 

Basically WR1 does WR1 stuff, WR2 and WR3 do their stuff as well.  Most of the time WR4 and WR5 and just standing on the sidelines watching the game, unless you see one of the guys out there raise their arm to come off the field to get a breather.  Then WR4 or WR5 will run in and play WR1 or WR2 or WR3 for that play.  This is why they talk about those lower tier guys having to know all the routes.  After that play, they come off.  If there is an injury, same deal.  That's why they want those guys to play Special teams or have a some kind of dual use so for them in the game.  IF you can't do all that, and you don't do the other, it's hard to get put out there.

Commence arguing about stuff again, hopefully this clears up some confusion.

It does not. Mims should be across Davis, with Moore on the inside. With Berrios and Crowder coming in. While Jeff Smith high fives guys coming off the field.