Sources: NFL prefers Apple for Sunday Ticket; package could include 1 Team purchase

Ken Schroy

Sources: NFL prefers Apple for Sunday Ticket; package could offer more choices

The NFL’s much-discussed Sunday Ticket package is in the news of late with one report having Amazon the lead contender to acquire the out-of-market games that are up for bid, while another touts Disney’s ESPN empire as interested. All fair, but it’s still early in the process, and sources say the NFL wants, or perhaps better termed, hopes, Apple gets the out-of-market package. And that package structurally could look a lot different than the one DirecTV has shopped since its inception in 1994, charging a basic rate for all the games. Under consideration is adding choices like allowing fans to buy just one team’s out-of-market games, or perhaps even standalone games, sources said.

DirecTV is paying on average $1.5 billion a year in a deal that stretches through the end of next season. All indications are the satellite carrier’s parent AT&T has no interest in renewing, especially at the $2 billion-plus per year fee the NFL is reportedly seeking. AT&T has struggled financially, and talks with the NFL in recent years have proven unproductive. The league already has a deep partnership with Amazon, which provides stats through Amazon Web Services, and will pay $1 billion annually starting next year for exclusive rights to Thursday Night Football after carrying the mid-week games nonexclusively since 2017. Apple, which did not reply for comment, is investing heavily in Apple TV+, home to hits like “Ted Lasso” but no live sports. However, unlike Amazon, which is a retailer, and ESPN, a content company, the NFL with Apple would for the first time be doing business on a large scale with the preeminent technology giant. It would marry the NFL with the company that sells arguably the globe’s most critical consumer product, the iPhone.  The earliest the league might agree to a deal months away.  There are roughly 2 million Sunday Ticket subscribers, though Crakes estimates only half pays full fare
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This would be an ABSOLUTE home run with me!

God willing they do this.  I'm already an Apple user and I pay for Sunday Ticket primarily to just watch the Jets.  The other games are a bonus.

Cut the price in half, give me a one team choice as an out-of-towner.  I'd love that.

I think it will happen. Simply because there is a large segment of the NFL fan base, like yourself that wants it.

• Upvote 4

This would be a disaster. 

Apple TV is already the least interesting of all the streaming services by light years, and the one that most people do not own/want to own. It's only appealing to Apple consumers. 

Amazon's platform is far superior in virtually every way and already integrated with Thursday night football.

Amazon is the obvious choice, but I do feel like the NFL tossed this Apple TV report out there for negotiating reasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hoping Amazon wins this. Never been an Apple fan - just not intuitive to me. No reason Amazon couldn't also provide all the options mentioned.

Amazon is light years ahead of Apple for streaming. 

I would also argue that well over 75% of NFL fans are android user anyways lol. Ain't nobody want that Hipster Apple bullsh*t lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Cut the price in half, give me a one team choice as an out-of-towner.  I'd love that.

I'd expect it wouldn't be half. I'd expect a cut more in range of 30-40% for a single team. 

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hoping Amazon wins this. Never been an Apple fan - just not intuitive to me. No reason Amazon couldn't also provide all the options mentioned.

I suspect IF the NFL has a preference for Apple, it's because they want different providers so they're not as locked in on any particular provider ie If Apple had the Thursday night games, they'd 'prefer' Amazon for Sunday ticket. 

Just get it off Direct TV.  From the start, was a horrible decision to give them the contract.  Not enough satellite subscribers to ever make it viable.  My question is how much of a bribe was paid initially for Direct TV to score the original gig?  I had a mountain of problems with Direct TV without NFL Ticket when my late father subscribed for standard TV.  Awful company and especially customer service.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I would also argue that well over 75% of NFL fans are android user anyways lol. Ain't nobody want that Hipster Apple bullsh*t lol. 

What does android users vs Mac users have to do with it?  

You can stream on either platform, just as you can stream Amazon on both

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

This would be a disaster. 

Apple TV is already the least interesting of all the streaming services by light years, and the one that most people do not own/want to own. It's only appealing to Apple consumers. 

Amazon's platform is far superior in virtually every way and already integrated with Thursday night football.

Amazon is the obvious choice, but I do feel like the NFL tossed this Apple TV report out there for negotiating reasons.

In other words: Sunday Ticket provides the most value to Apple (driving subscribers) and therefore Apple has every incentive to be the high bidder. 

24 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

In other words: Sunday Ticket provides the most value to Apple (driving subscribers) and therefore Apple has every incentive to be the high bidder. 

Not arguing that. Looking at it from a customer standpoint. To the mass consumer, this isnt that great. 

More people already own and utilize Amazon services, so they just gotta buy the NFL package. 

If Apple gets it, the majority of people are going to have to A - Subscribe to Apple TV (which most people dont care for) and B - Pay for the NFL package. 

Good for Apple, bad for fans. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

Apple is like over 50 percent of the smart phone market. 

and it’s the one with wealthier users by far.  It’s the one all companies want to deal with. 

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This. They’ll overpay for the ticket to drive up Apple+ subscribers and device purchases. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they offer it for super cheap like they do for the streaming service. Costco selling hot dogs at a loss basically.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This would be an ABSOLUTE home run with me!

God willing they do this.  I'm already an Apple user and I pay for Sunday Ticket primarily to just watch the Jets.  The other games are a bonus.

5 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

I think it will happen. Simply because there is a large segment of the NFL fan base, like yourself that wants it.

Did he just call you fat?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Apple is like over 50 percent of the smart phone market. 

and it’s the one with wealthier users by far.  It’s the one all companies want to deal with. 

Apple may be the bigger cell phone market, but the VAST majority of people streaming football wont be doing so on their cellphones. 

They will be streaming through their TVs. Yes, you can have the Apple TV app on the TV, but people that dont use IPhones tend to stay away or not care about all Apple products in general. 

You are also correct that the "wealthier" users choose Apple generally, but a gigantic chunk of Apples market is also half broke hipsters and the majority of them dont give two sh*ts about football.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

So Apple buys the Jets, renames them New York Big Apples, changes the colors to red pastel and all the decisions are done by crowd sourcing on the 'Big Apples' app.  Front office hirings, draft picks, free agents, play calls, all done via app so we can all have a say in everything that happens.  Sounds like a dream.  Green Bay ownership style for the 27th century.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

They will be streaming through their TVs. Yes, you can have the Apple TV app on the TV, but people that dont use IPhones tend to stay away or not care about all Apple products in general.

People go to where they're going to get the programming they want.  Apple+ has a lot of good content, that they produce.

If they get Sunday Ticket no football fan is going to turn their back because they have an Android phone.  

Most people dont have DirecTv, yet they had no problem signing up for their shltty service, get gouged and hang an ugly satellite dish somewhere on their house, having to deal with lost service in the rain etc.  

I guess I'm just not seeing the correlation to the type of phone I use and signing up for a streaming service.

19 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

This would be fantastic but it just shows how far behind the NFL is compared to other sports. MLB has had this option for years as I get all the Mets games in great HD down here in Charleston for a very moderate price. God I really hope this happens. 

Lol - first of all, the NFL signed a long term deal worth Billions - MLB would have killed for that deal; secondly, what the NFL thinks is a good deal is different than what the fans think is a good deal. Sure, as a fan who lives outside the NY area, I would love to pay for just the Jets and a great rate - just like i would prefer to pay for. just Jets on NFL rewind - but they make more money this way, so the NFL prefers the bundle. They are going to do an analysis on what is going to make the most money - my guess is that except for bars and restaurants, most people would prefer to pay for only one team. If there are 1,000,000 people willing to pay $200/year for all teams, and 1.1 million that will be $100/year for one team, the best deal for the NFL/provider is $200/year even though most fans would think $100/year for one team is a better deal.

It is all about the benjimans - not making fans happy with moderate prices.

• Upvote 1

Ive been looking for an answer to be able to cut my cable TV $215 a month is a waste of money. 

It's just easy and convenient not looking to log into NASA to watch the local news. 

I know things are easier these days but an old dog like me (58 years old) is spoiled. 

Sooner or later though I need to make a change.