Chad Pennington is a believer in Zach Wilson

McNeil

1 hour ago, BP said:

He beat the jets on the last game of 2008 to win the division for the Dolphins. That was his great accomplishment 

I will never forget after we played Denver and all the media hype about Chad being "the next Joe Montana".  After we get smoked, Romo (Joe's former teammate) is being interviewed.  And without missing a beat utters, "I guess he ain't the next Joe Montana."  Back then I hated his guts for saying it.  But now understand where he was coming from.  Don't laud someone until they have actually accomplished something.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Pasting peyton 41-0 in the jets last home playoff win was better.

sh*t! Is that why Manning hoodwinked the Johnsons into hiring Adam Gase?

Agreed. Was going by recent memory. I was at both games and at the time I was a mod here and this place got flooded..I mean flooded with Dolphins trolls that night. It was crazy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah Chad was a punk. A terrible QB. Ignore the all time great completion percentage, his coming back from injuries twice winning CBPOY, and being the only QB not named Brady to win the AFC East from 2000 to 2020 - which he did with 2 different teams — and really what did he accomplish?

Nothing, because he played small in his biggest games, absolutely awful in the post-season.

Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in NY Jets history, not Chad Pennington.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nothing, because he played small in his biggest games, absolutely awful in the post-season.

Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in NY Jets history, not Chad Pennington.

SAR I

Sorry junior. That honor belongs to Ken O’Brien. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

They are currently laughing at us for abandoning Sam Darnold.  The same Sam Darnold half this board said they would never watch take a snap for this team ever again.  Maybe don’t write off a young talented QB 2 games into his career.

So far I haven't seen much to indicate Zach's all that talented at the NFL level.

Let's revisit this after the Denver game.

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

So far I haven't seen much to indicate Zach's all that talented at the NFL level.

Let's revisit this after the Denver game.

It’s two f*cking games.

After his first three games, Darnold had 3 TDs and 5 INTs and 701 yards.  Zach needs one touchdown pass and 233 passing yards this weekend to match that, so no, I’m not gonna revisit this ridiculous argument after the Denver game because it’s absolutely stupid, and I mean STUPID, to call game on a 21 year old kid’s career after 3 games because here is a little fun fact:  Sam didn’t wait to play BB to have his first 0 TD, 4 INT game.  He got it out of the way while playing the Adam Gase led Dolphins in 2018.  How’s putting a dagger in Darnold’s NFL career working out now for all the Nostradamus’ on this board right now?

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, oatmeal said:

For everyone criticizing our rookie QB

Sacks + hurries as a % of pass attempts: 1) Zack Wilson (38.5%), 2) Joe Burrow (26.3%), 3) Derek Carr (25.8%) ... 28) Tom Brady (5.8%), 29) Jimmy Garoppolo (5.4%), 30) Matthew Stafford (5.3%)

So Zach holds the ball too long? Understood,

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

They are currently laughing at us for abandoning Sam Darnold.  The same Sam Darnold half this board said they would never watch take a snap for this team ever again.  Maybe don’t write off a young talented QB 2 games into his career.

Sam Darnold is benefitting from his situation right now. He looks really good playing without being behind. Honestly I want to see him come back from a deficit and maintain this during a game winning drive before I get too caught up in his rebirth. Yet, so far, so good, time will tell. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Sam Darnold is benefitting from his situation right now. He looks really good playing without being behind. Honestly I want to see him come back from a deficit and maintain this during a game winning drive before I get too caught up in his rebirth. Yet, so far, so good, time will tell. 

Absolutely.  Look, I’m not calling him a top 5 QB or anything right now, but it’s pretty abundantly clear now that Sam can succeed with some structure around him.  I guess my greater point is that Zach is a QB who is almost as young as Sam when he got here, in a situation where the average age of his teammates is 25, and he’s played 2 very good defensive fronts and schemes, one of which is run by the greatest head coach of all time, who is notorious for curb stomping rookie QBs.  Maybe let’s build this thing up and see how the team does before we decide to start throwing our new toys away.  Like I said a few posts above: After his first three games, Darnold had 3 TDs and 5 INTs and 701 yards.  Zach needs one touchdown pass and 233 passing yards this weekend to match that.  Also; Sam didn’t wait to play BB to have his first 0 TD, 4 INT game.  He got it out of the way while playing the Adam Gase led Dolphins in 2018.  The story on Wilson isn’t going to be written and completed after 3 games.  Probably not even after 1 season either. 

Development is something that is going to take time when you have so many young players.  We knew this going into the year.  It was preached to us by the FO and Staff, it was reinforced by their acquisitions and actions, but some people still decided to jump off the ledge already.  Those people were probably better off skipping the entire season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

46 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s two f*cking games.

After his first three games, Darnold had 3 TDs and 5 INTs and 701 yards.  Zach needs one touchdown pass and 233 passing yards this weekend to match that, so no, I’m not gonna revisit this ridiculous argument after the Denver game because it’s absolutely stupid, and I mean STUPID, to call game on a 21 year old kid’s career after 3 games because here is a little fun fact:  Sam didn’t wait to play BB to have his first 0 TD, 4 INT game.  He got it out of the way while playing the Adam Gase led Dolphins in 2018.  How’s putting a dagger in Darnold’s NFL career working out now for all the Nostradamus’ on this board right now?

I agree that it is only 2 games and Wilson can still pan out, but you are being cute with the stats here. Darnold torched Detroit on the road after the pick 6 in his debut. Wilson has played 8 quarters so far and has been absolutely atrocious for 6 of them. 

40 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree that it is only 2 games and Wilson can still pan out, but you are being cute with the stats here. Darnold torched Detroit on the road after the pick 6 in his debut. Wilson has played 8 quarters so far and has been absolutely atrocious for 6 of them. 

He threw for under 200 yards against, what would reveal itself by years end to be, one of the worst secondaries in the league that game.  Sam didn’t torch anything.  He made one good 41 yard throw to Robby (Zach’s longest pass against Carolina was 40 yards for comparisons sake) and managed the rest of the game because the defense beat the sh*t out of the lions offense and forced turnover after turnover.  His second TD was a short pass that Enunwa took 21 yards, bulldozing his way into the end zone.

Zach’s first game was not perfect, but I genuinely believe that he had a far tougher task between the o-line being bullied, the defense getting torched in the first half, and his WRs dropping passes left and right.  He responded very well, made it a close game in the second half and left me feeling really good about his future.

His second game was a disaster that almost broke me because I was there live and lost perspective but, and I don’t want to sound like a broken record, after rewatching the tape and coming back down to earth, I saw the game for what it was.  It was his 2nd career game, his 1st against Belichick, and that’s what Belichick does to rookie QBs.  Justin Herbert was a fringe MVP candidate, as a rookie, on a loaded Chargers offense last year, and this is what Bill did to him:

A485097E-47B3-4A9A-B863-E05D7E9B468D.thumb.jpeg.9392b16a6c6f2c26e6ca37092c823fc1.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I think fans need to give Wilson a break. He had only played 2 games.  His first game he was running for his life most of the game but put together an encouraging second half.  Yes his second game was bad but he was facing one of the best coaches of all time who had made a career out of getting to rookie QB’s.  I understand our fans want instant success but it’s not the way it goes most times. There will be bumps in the road.  Now if he is still playing the way he did last well in week 15-17 then I can understand frustration but we gotta give the kid time 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s two f*cking games.

I didn't 'call game' on Zach.

What I said was "So far I haven't seen much to indicate Zach's all that talented at the NFL level." Take away the garbage time stats and there's no question Zach has played poorly so far.

And then I said let's see how Zach plays this week in a tough away game.

Unlike many here, who have anointed him the savior, I'm waiting to judge Zach based on his performance during NFL games.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely.  Look, I’m not calling him a top 5 QB or anything right now, but it’s pretty abundantly clear now that Sam can succeed with some structure around him.  I guess my greater point is that Zach is a QB who is almost as young as Sam when he got here, in a situation where the average age of his teammates is 25, and he’s played 2 very good defensive fronts and schemes, one of which is run by the greatest head coach of all time, who is notorious for curb stomping rookie QBs.  Maybe let’s build this thing up and see how the team does before we decide to start throwing our new toys away.  Like I said a few posts above: After his first three games, Darnold had 3 TDs and 5 INTs and 701 yards.  Zach needs one touchdown pass and 233 passing yards this weekend to match that.  Also; Sam didn’t wait to play BB to have his first 0 TD, 4 INT game.  He got it out of the way while playing the Adam Gase led Dolphins in 2018.  The story on Wilson isn’t going to be written and completed after 3 games.  Probably not even after 1 season either. 

Development is something that is going to take time when you have so many young players.  We knew this going into the year.  It was preached to us by the FO and Staff, it was reinforced by their acquisitions and actions, but some people still decided to jump off the ledge already.  Those people were probably better off skipping the entire season.

Best explanation reinforcing everything that the majority has forgotten about this young team.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I think fans need to give Wilson a break. He had only played 2 games.  His first game he was running for his life most of the game but put together an encouraging second half.  Yes his second game was bad but he was facing one of the best coaches of all time who had made a career out of getting to rookie QB’s.  I understand our fans want instant success but it’s not the way it goes most times. There will be bumps in the road.  Now if he is still playing the way he did last well in week 15-17 then I can understand frustration but we gotta give the kid time 

Agreed…. Chad would be injured right now if he were Zach.  

38 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I didn't 'call game' on Zach.

What I said was "So far I haven't seen much to indicate Zach's all that talented at the NFL level." Take away the garbage time stats and there's no question Zach has played poorly so far.

And then I said let's see how Zach plays this week in a tough away game.

Unlike many here, who have anointed him the savior, I'm waiting to judge Zach based on his performance during NFL games.

I gave you hard numbers to show you that he has an opportunity to, pretty much, be on par with Sam’s rookie year through 3 games.  Even if he doesn’t, week by week overreacting is ridiculous.

There was no garbage time week 1.  The Jets had an opportunity to win the Carolina game, despite an atrocious 1st half.  The defense couldn’t get the necessary stop.

Pats game?  Sure it was inflated a bit by the end.  Just like Sam’s garbage time 334 yards against the Dolphins in week 2 of 2018.

18 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Can't I, for once, just vent?  Geez, folks do it all the time.  I go off and get chastised.   Let me enjoy my wine, please.  I had a goddam root canal today, too. 

Of course you can as - that is what the site is all about - but unless you are saying rant, please don't comment, don't expect to not hear about it. Especially on this site, if you want to rant and not have comments i would suggest a dog; my dog is a great rant listener as long as i don't yell and treat often :-)

• Haha 4