Jet Message Board History

clayton163v

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Damn man, you're gonna have to slow pitch now wink wink

Yep, 2 years running Oktoberfest cancelled. I live in Munich. They estimate $3 billion lost to the city. Guess what that means? Higher taxes! Hello 50%!

My oldest son did a semester in Berlin a couple of years ago. Interesting country and by and large, the people were accommodating and friendly. Was not aware you were there. Hope they are compensating you well.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

My oldest son did a semester in Berlin a couple of years ago. Interesting country and by and large, the people were accommodating and friendly. Was not aware you were there. Hope they are compensating you well.

Germany is great. People are great, Munich has always been one of my favorite cities (along with Istanbul and Buenos Aires) so I'm happy to have a chance to live here. Compensation is lower than similar jobs in US but the pension plans are strong and healthcare is cheap and if my kids go to college here that's free too. And it's nice to be in any of 20 different countries after a couple hour train ride. 50% taxes is a kick in the weasel, though.

• Sympathy 1

I remember roughly when and how it all went down.

I was studying abroad in Spain in 2004 and the Jets were playing the Steelers. I was trying to either figure out the score or what happened in the game. Can’t remember exactly. But I stumbled on Jets message boards at that time. This is also when Facebook got started and I remember getting an account around that time as well.

I honestly don’t remember using the internet much prior to 2004. I think I used it occasionally for research papers etc.

In general, my online footprint was really low until about mid 2010’s. I came across this site in 2018. Great site.

Didn't get online here til the late 90s and the first site I came across was Jets Haters, tended more to spam the guestbook more than anything. Ended up going to JI, and a few years later was one of those who got what turned out to be a not-so-private private message about a certain site that was just getting set up. Been here ever since.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I had to look it up to see when I came to JN. May, 2020. 

In 2007 I moved to Manhattan. Seems like the Giants won the Super Bowl shortly thereafter, but I just couldn’t get into them. I always liked Namath as a kid. The white shoes, the playboy image. I realized that deep-down I was probably made to be a Jets fan, so I hitched my star to them and here I am.

I live an “arty” life among creative types in the city where being a football fan doesn’t always go over. It can get you shamed. My wife thinks it’s a waste of time.  But, I love sports AND the arts! It can be done. I admit that JN time for me is escapist time, especially during the pandemic. It was a good place to go to escape work and life pressure and just read and talk about football. Now I am addicted and spend way too much time here.

The Jets may be terrible, but I like being their fan. One day when they finally get it right, it will just be all the sweeter. Hope it happens in my lifetime as I’m starting to get up there. Go Jets! Thanks JN members for having me in the gang.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Germany is great. People are great, Munich has always been one of my favorite cities (along with Istanbul and Buenos Aires) so I'm happy to have a chance to live here. Compensation is lower than similar jobs in US but the pension plans are strong and healthcare is cheap and if my kids go to college here that's free too. And it's nice to be in any of 20 different countries after a couple hour train ride. 50% taxes is a kick in the weasel, though.

I watch the Japanese channel, NHK World, occasionally.  The other night, on a show called Somewhere Street, they explored the steps in Stuttgart.  They wind through vineyards and various neighborhoods.  I was totally fascinated by the city and could not turn it off.    Have you been to Stuttgart?  Walked up all those many steps?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I watch the Japanese channel, NHK World, occasionally.  The other night, on a show called Somewhere Street, they explored the steps in Stuttgart.  They wind through vineyards and various neighborhoods.  I was totally fascinated by the city and could not turn it off.    Have you been to Stuttgart?  Walked up all those many steps?

I have been there when I was doing some work for Porsche. Been awhile, though.

• Upvote 1

I started on JI around 2003 or 2004 as Jets Fanatic. I was never a prolific poster, so eventually there was another JetsFanatic who posted all the time. I remember PatsFanTx as the biggest troll, who the oldest posters seemed to just enjoy, sort of like with SAR here. ?Due to personal matters I actually didn't watch football from 2012 until we drafted Darnold. I figured I would check JI again only to find a sad lonely virtual place, with unfinished stories of digital betrayal. I think I googled Jets message boards and found this place. This is pretty good.

I was a long time lurker on JI that finally signed up in January 2006 when Herm was banished (I could have never posted during the Herm era).and Mangina got hired.

Alk recruited me to come over here later that year lol 

Jet Moses used to tell me about that site Jetshaters back in the late 90’s. He was using his real name until [mention=5341]Garb[/mention] told him to change it or risk being killed. Lol so jet mo, sooth and [mention=5345]Bob[/mention] used to go there and troll angry pats fans that hated the Jets. Then sooth invites them to JI. I think [mention=5423]PFSIKH[/mention] was on jetshaters too. The board administrator was called “the wizard”

Garb— now there’s a name!! Wonder where she is these days
  • Upvote 1

I found JI back when it first started late 90s.  I think I even got some sort of label on my account from Sooth years later about being an "original" member.  Never came over here during the various exoduses mainly because I don't really follow the all of the various soap opera's that occur on these boards.  That would probably have been different if I was still living in NY and going to games getting to know some of you shulbs personally.  I'm also lazy and a creature of habit, so it was just easier to stay with JI instead of opening a new account and typing a different URL into my browser.

I recall the early 2000s when some of us had an online Madden league with Playstation.  Talking to some of those guys while playing online was about as close as I've gotten with actually communicating with members.

When JI went down, I migrated over to "The Hampur" but eventually left to come post here on a regular basis since the Hampur became a cesspool of political arguments.

49 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Garb— now there’s a name!! Wonder where she is these days

I actually caught her at a Jets game in 2007 when we were not playing the Patriots. I was like “what are you doing here?” Her response when seeing me? “Oh no”

she’s the Gladys kravitz of message board posters.

• Haha 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

She still "fluffing"?  

Lol nah all kidding aside, she’s cool. Last time I saw her was 2017 in Florida when the Jets were playing Tampa. Me and savage and a few other people rented a mansion in treasure island for the weekend and we invited her over to watch the pats as they were the Sunday night game. She came wearing her Troy brown  Patriots jersey.

2 hours ago, BP said:

Lol nah all kidding aside, she’s cool. Last time I saw her was 2017 in Florida when the Jets were playing Tampa. Me and savage and a few other people rented a mansion in treasure island for the weekend and we invited her over to watch the pats as they were the Sunday night game. She came wearing her Troy brown  Patriots jersey.

I'm kidding too, of course.  Why would she ever choose that "profession"?

I actually liked Garb, too.  Unlike a common troll, she was just a true, passionate, Pats fan unafraid to express her fervor.  Too many years have passed, but I think she is Italian and we discussed foods.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:21 PM, More Cowbell said:

As mentioned by @Dcat, I started with usenet. You needed to download a newsreader to access them and I think I used the one called free agent and then thunderbird. They didn't  make it easy to find the jets news group  because there was literally  a NG for just about anything you could imagine. I think it was called alt.football.pro.ny-jets or something like that. I met @Dcat ans @SAR I there ad well as some others. There was this one guy Brian Pratt. He was a pats fan troll that would hit way below the belt. Bringing someones religious beliefs  was fair game when it came to him. Some others I remember were this guy called Burford, and one other who eventually  changed his name to U_Hate_Me. I don't  recall what it was that made everyone turn on him. Maybe he liked Glenn Foley too much. 

I never made it over to NYT board and my first exposure the Henry Hertz was at NY Jets Chat which was another Usenet like board that basically  had no rules so conversations went everywhere. Did a short stint at Gang Green (place totally sucked) and have been here since. 

Right after 9/11, Brian Pratt posted on the Jets usenet  board that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving city (or something to that effect).  I think that's pretty much the last time I looked there.  BuRford was actually on Jets chat and here for a short stint.  @burf.

Many of our usenet friends and 'enemies' have been in my fantasy leagues since 2001.  Greg (JDSal45) from the Pats newsgroup, Scott K. (SLKCPA) and  Ken P. too from the Pats group.  Bimal (forgot his user name) and David Lee T (User 45576) from Jets usenet.  David Lee T is also here on rare occasion.  Forgot his handle.