Braxton Berrios has gone from afterthought to Jets’ leading receiver

By Mark W. “No, I didn’t sleep with Kate Upton, I’m the other” Sanchez - 

The Jets’ leading wide receiver through two games entered the season with three touchdowns and 43 receptions in his career.

From a unit that features Corey Davis, who was given a $37.5 million pact this offseason, 2020 second-round pick Denzel Mims, 2021 second-round pick Elijah Moore and veteran Jamison Crowder, who has posted more than 4,000 receiving yards, it has been Braxton Berrios leading the way for the Jets.

A sixth-round pick in 2018 by the Patriots (who waived him before the 2019 season, when the Jets pounced), Berrios has been the go-to receiver for Zach Wilson and might be again Sunday if Crowder remains out.

Crowder would be the slot receiver, but has yet to make his 2021 debut, a bout with COVID-19 and a groin injury forcing him off the field. Head coach Robert Saleh said Crowder would be a game-time decision Sunday in Denver, but he is listed as doubtful after working with trainers during Friday’s practice.

Mims, too, will be a game-time decision after he was a healthy scratch last weekend. The talented wideout apparently is not a favorite of the coaching staff as he tries to work his way onto the field.

Braxton Berrios #10 of the New York Jets runs the ball during the second quarter. Braxton Berrios came into the season with 43 receptions — and three touchdowns — in his career. Charles Wenzelberg / New York Post

Instead, Berrios, an afterthought before the season, is the Jets’ leading receiver in terms of catches (12), yards (124) and targets (18).

The young Jets see the 25-year-old Berrios as a leader.

“He’s out there on Wednesday, which is a heavy install day, and helping the other receivers get lined up. He’s helping the quarterback out of the huddle, he’s helping everybody,” Saleh said this week. “That veteran presence who’s reliable, who can get separation, win one-on-ones.

“And those guys, they just naturally draw to the quarterback in terms of, ‘I know you’re going to be exactly where you need to be.’ ”

Berrios has been there for Wilson, having turned four of his catches into first downs. He also had excelled for the Jets’ special teams.

While Mims did not start last week in part because, Saleh said, he only would be a help on offense, Berrios has been returning kicks this year as well as continuing as a threat on punt returns.

Berrios’ 23.8 yards per kick return ranks 12th in the NFL and his 10.5 yards per punt return makes him 11th.

Special teams coordinator Brant Boyer lauded Berrios’ “dynamic quickness” and “really good vision.”

“I think he is playing really, really well for us,” Boyer said this week. “He makes great decisions, and I think that’s a big part of field position in itself. I think he’s done an outstanding job so far.”

Berrios has the type of well-rounded game that makes it difficult to bench him because he contributes in so many areas. Even if Crowder returns and wins the slot back, Berrios has played himself into a spot.

He’s not the player the Jets probably hoped would emerge at receiver in the early going, but general manager Joe Douglas and Saleh will take any finds they can get.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Listen to so many here call Berrios a waste, Jag, etc. He is not the fastest,biggest, receiver in the room, what he is,is reliable. He gets separation and he catches the damn ball.
He has done this he entire career and did just the same thing at the “U”
Never understood the hate for him from this fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1965 so I am well aware of Wayne Chrebet but thanks for the trip down memory lane. I wasn’t trying to say he was in Chrebet’s league, just that he is that type of player. Just my feeling but you certainly don’t have to agree.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joejet said:

I’ve been a Jets fan since 1965 so I am well aware of Wayne Chrebet but thanks for the trip down memory lane. I wasn’t trying to say he was in Chrebet’s league, just that he is that type of player. Just my feeling but you certainly don’t have to agree.

It's  all good I understand the comparison. 

Chrebet was one of a kind. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

By Mark W. “No, I didn’t sleep with Kate Upton, I’m the other” Sanchez - 

The Jets’ leading wide receiver through two games entered the season with three touchdowns and 43 receptions in his career.

From a unit that features Corey Davis, who was given a $37.5 million pact this offseason, 2020 second-round pick Denzel Mims, 2021 second-round pick Elijah Moore and veteran Jamison Crowder, who has posted more than 4,000 receiving yards, it has been Braxton Berrios leading the way for the Jets.

A sixth-round pick in 2018 by the Patriots (who waived him before the 2019 season, when the Jets pounced), Berrios has been the go-to receiver for Zach Wilson and might be again Sunday if Crowder remains out.

Crowder would be the slot receiver, but has yet to make his 2021 debut, a bout with COVID-19 and a groin injury forcing him off the field. Head coach Robert Saleh said Crowder would be a game-time decision Sunday in Denver, but he is listed as doubtful after working with trainers during Friday’s practice.

Mims, too, will be a game-time decision after he was a healthy scratch last weekend. The talented wideout apparently is not a favorite of the coaching staff as he tries to work his way onto the field.

Braxton Berrios #10 of the New York Jets runs the ball during the second quarter. Braxton Berrios came into the season with 43 receptions — and three touchdowns — in his career. Charles Wenzelberg / New York Post

Instead, Berrios, an afterthought before the season, is the Jets’ leading receiver in terms of catches (12), yards (124) and targets (18).

The young Jets see the 25-year-old Berrios as a leader.

“He’s out there on Wednesday, which is a heavy install day, and helping the other receivers get lined up. He’s helping the quarterback out of the huddle, he’s helping everybody,” Saleh said this week. “That veteran presence who’s reliable, who can get separation, win one-on-ones.

“And those guys, they just naturally draw to the quarterback in terms of, ‘I know you’re going to be exactly where you need to be.’ ”

Berrios has been there for Wilson, having turned four of his catches into first downs. He also had excelled for the Jets’ special teams.

While Mims did not start last week in part because, Saleh said, he only would be a help on offense, Berrios has been returning kicks this year as well as continuing as a threat on punt returns.

Berrios’ 23.8 yards per kick return ranks 12th in the NFL and his 10.5 yards per punt return makes him 11th.

Special teams coordinator Brant Boyer lauded Berrios’ “dynamic quickness” and “really good vision.”

“I think he is playing really, really well for us,” Boyer said this week. “He makes great decisions, and I think that’s a big part of field position in itself. I think he’s done an outstanding job so far.”

Berrios has the type of well-rounded game that makes it difficult to bench him because he contributes in so many areas. Even if Crowder returns and wins the slot back, Berrios has played himself into a spot.

He’s not the player the Jets probably hoped would emerge at receiver in the early going, but general manager Joe Douglas and Saleh will take any finds they can get.

It's  amazing how bad the Jet WR's are. 

Berrios has always had a solid skill set but very little opportunity because any targets in the pass game could have taken carries away from Frank Gore.

Biggest issues with him are consistency and contested catches.  He improves those and he'll be a damn good receiver.

5 hours ago, fltflo said:

Listen to so many here call Berrios a waste, Jag, etc. He is not the fastest,biggest, receiver in the room, what he is,is reliable. He gets separation and he catches the damn ball.
He has done this he entire career and did just the same thing at the “U”
Never understood the hate for him from this fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No one hates Berrios, in fact, It think most really like him.

But he has NO RIGHT being the number 1 receiver on an NFL roster.  

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, I’m dying to have a guy who celebrates 8 yard completions like he just made a one-handed TD catch.

I’m dying to have a guy that can be a safety valve for our QB and help win huge post season games and multiple super bowls. 

Isnt it a little premature to be talking about his number of receptions and make comments on what hes become for literally having a handful more catches than Davis who BB and Patriots made a total effort to shut down.

And of course after all of two games.  Actually because of one horrid offensive game slanting stats and sending some off on a rant 

17 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Here's the thing - I really like Berrios.

I also acknowledge that any team where Berrios is the leading receiver and getting 25% of targets is doomed.  He has limitations as a player, but he's learning how to play quite well within those limitations.

not so sure about that.  the patsies did just nicely with edelman getting 25%+ of the targets and receptions.  i think it was the same thing with welker.  i suppose you can qualify it by saying berrios and that might be true.  he's not as good as welker or edelman.  i suppose if it was crowder there wouldn't be any concern. but still  as long as berrios makes the catches and moves the chains it doesn't make too much difference.

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No one hates Berrios, in fact, It think most really like him.

But he has NO RIGHT being the number 1 receiver on an NFL roster.  

it's not the player, it's the position.  isn't crowder supposed to play slot?  he's still out.  when he comes back he'll be getting 25%+ of the passes.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's not the player, it's the position.  isn't crowder supposed to play slot?  he's still out.  when he comes back he'll be getting 25%+ of the passes.

Two things. 

1) It’s not good if your slot receiver is leading your team in anything.  
2) Crowder and more talented than Berrios - so it would be better understood. 

• Upvote 1