Driver, 22, who veered into bike lane and struck NFL coach Greg Knapp won't be charged in his death

TokyoJetsFan

I will only ride a mountain bike down in south FL so I can jump on and off curbs as fast as I can. I am not young and agile as I used to be and I stay on the sidewalk. 
It is like a constant fight down here between Cars and bikers both at times are at fault and will purposely do dangerous egregious maneuvers just to piss each other off. 

8 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

People shilling this as if it’s good he got off Scott free

he killed an innocent man who was abiding by the rules and IN A BIKE LANE

disgusting

What if your kid was the driver? He was sober, not on his phone, and had this tragic accident. How is society served by putting him in jail? What rehabilitation does this kid need? There’s just no reason at all outside of revenge, and it doesn’t seem like Mr. Knapp’s fine family feels the need to make this young person suffer more than he likely is already. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

you don't know the details. the USA has the most people in jail per capita than every other country in the world, by a significant margin. the others close to us are places like el salvador, turkmenistan and cuba. it's a joke really. i mean we have for profit prisons. prison should not be making people money (excluding people who work there like guards). the system is broken

Maybe people should stop committing crimes then. We have differing opinions. I think the justice system is pretty weak on crime tbh. In this case none of us know the details. It may have been an accident or complete negligence on the drivers part. The end result was somebody tragically lost their life. 

It is frustrating to see the driver not charged with something, but he may not get off scott free.  First, his car insurance rate might jump quite a bit....next, maybe Knapp's family sues him for wrongful death or something like that.  I know these are both financial hits and not as satisfying from a justice perspective when someone was killed.

I had a friend of mine hit and killed while walking with her husband in their neighborhood...a residential area.  The driver was not charged. According to local news, his excuse was that the sun was in his eyes and he did not see her. There were no other details ever reported, like how far out into the road her and her husband were walking, etc. She was a retired high school librarian. Very frustrating.