OT: La'el Collins Tried to Bribe Drug Tester

PCP63

Just saw this on ESPN. Suspended 5 games, NFLPA trying to get it reduced to 2. Crazy to me how he was only suspended 5 games. Bribery is a pretty serious crime. I'd ban him for life.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32280659/sources-dallas-cowboys-lael-collins-attempted-bribe-nfl-drug-test-collector

Dallas Cowboys right tackle La'el Collins was suspended after trying to bribe the league's drug-test collector, sources told ESPN.

Players cannot be suspended for positive marijuana tests under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, but Collins' issue was multiple missed tests and trying to bribe the test collector, sources said.

The NFL initially was preparing to suspend Collins five games for his actions, but the NFL Players Association -- aware of the intended five-game suspension -- helped negotiate a reduction to what would have been a two-game ban.

Collins, however, appealed the suspension, and the appeal was heard by an arbitrator appointed jointly by the league and the NFLPA. The arbitrator not only rejected Collins' appeal but also ruled that, based on the evidence, the suspension should be increased back to the original five games.

Collins' lawyer is attempting an appeal of the arbitrator's decision, but league sources believe the suspension, which was announced Sept. 10, will not be reduced.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Both the NFL and NFLPA declined comment this weekend when contacted by ESPN.

Collins served the first game of his suspension in last Sunday's victory over the Los Angeles Chargers and will also miss Monday night's matchup against the rival Philadelphia Eagles.

He believed he had legitimate reasons for missing seven drug tests, one of which was scheduled for the day that Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Markus Paul died in November. Collins missed another drug test the day of his uncle's funeral.

Collins is not the first NFL player to attempt to circumvent the league's drug-test policy. In 2013, the NFL suspended Denver Broncos star Von Miller six games after he was caught attempting to corrupt the drug-test program with the help of a urine collector.

If his suspension is not reduced or overturned, Collins will be eligible to return to the roster Oct. 18, the day after the Cowboys play the New England Patriots.

The suspension will cost Collins roughly $2 million and, per the CBA, voids the injury guarantee worth $6.48 million in his 2022 salary.

Collins has started 62 of the 63 games he has played for the Cowboys since 2015 at left guard or right tackle. He missed 13 games in 2016 because of a toe injury and all of last season because of hip surgery.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

What are they testing him for PEDs?

If it's just recreational drugs then it's pretty lame. 

Don't think it's really what they're testing for that's the issue. He tried to bribe a league official. Kinda dirty sh*t the league definitely doesn't need.

There is no way there are no PEDs in the nfl (all sports really). The NFL players are chiseled and ridiculously large, Brady is 45 and a superstar…. 

you have poor drug testers being bribed tons of money tO fake a test? This has to happen all the time. The NFL doesn’t need this getting out there and ugly. Not a shocker that they only slapped him with five games. 

8 minutes ago, Wit said:

There is no way there are no PEDs in the nfl (all sports really). The NFL players are chiseled and ridiculously large, Brady is 45 and a superstar…. 

you have poor drug testers being bribed tons of money tO fake a test? This has to happen all the time. The NFL doesn’t need this getting out there and ugly. Not a shocker that they only slapped him with five games. 

Oh, there's PEDs all over, even in college. I personally think it should all be fair game, but it's really more about the bribery. Might seem innocuous and not a big deal to some, but I'd personally ban him for life to set an example. The NFL has a lot of work to do to be able to claim a high ground on integrity, but this would be a step in the right direction.

• Thumb Down 1

58 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Just saw this on ESPN. Suspended 5 games, NFLPA trying to get it reduced to 2. Crazy to me how he was only suspended 5 games. Bribery is a pretty serious crime. I'd ban him for life.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32280659/sources-dallas-cowboys-lael-collins-attempted-bribe-nfl-drug-test-collector

Life seems a bit harsh. But he should be punished. 

...send him to the Jets. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

apparently they reduced it to 2....Collins people asked for arbitration...arbitrator upheld the suspension and kicked it back out to 5 lmao

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1