I’m disappointed in Saleh

HawkeyeJet

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

First off I’ll say that I was a huge proponent of hiring him, well before it was assumed he was the front runner for the job.

I also still believe he can be a great coach.  Not throwing in the towel on him by any means.

That said, I  pretty disappointed so far.  And it really boils down to not being what you said you were going to be.  If you are going to implement a slogan, you better live it.  Results aside, the Jets play scared, cautious and conservative. Nothing like I expected.  I can live with mistakes when they are made out of an abundance of effort and aggression.  We have zero aggression.  That needs to change pronto.

Then throwing in things like “We’ve had great practices ” etc etc.  No one wants to hear that.  Own it.  Say you weren’t good enough.  Move on.

The roster is total garbage so it’s really not all on saleh.  The 1 big criticism I see is the neutering of Zach today.   You don’t draft Wilson to be a game manager; let the kid throw it and live with the mistakes.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I was initially excited for Saleh. He came from a good organization, he was charismatic, a lot of players spoke out on his behalf. But everything since then has led me to believe he is an arrogant fool. 

It was arrogant for him to fill out his coaching staff and not include a staff member who previously was a head coach in the NFL. He's a rookie head coach and it was negligent for him to believe he could "wing it" without an experienced voice close by that he could lean on. 

He was arrogant for believing he could go into the season without a veteran QB to mentor him. I don't like Wilson, but who the hell is he supposed to lean on now in that locker room?

He was arrogant for going into the season with such little experience at CB. This hasn't bitten the Jets in the a$$ (yet), but if he made this decision based upon a belief that the front 4 would be dominant in the pass rush department, that appears to have been a gross miscalculation on his part. 

I think Saleh is Pete Carroll in his first run with the Jets. Charismatic guy that needs a nice slice of humble pie and needs to figure out the fine line between being too cool with the players and being tough enough to motivate them to win games. Carroll had to get fired by the Jets and the Pats and took a long break before he arrived at USC and started to figure it out (aside from cheating). 

• Upvote 3

I think they’re so intoxicated with changing the culture, it sounds like they’re running a college program.  Most of their focus should be on preparing a game plan for wilson to make it easier for him to get quick completions and collect first downs.  Instead they put wilson back there behind a porous offensive line expecting him to go through all his progressions while the line collapses and wrs can’t get open.  

Now moore is out.  Davis sucks and cole/smith are invisible.  They have no weapons.  The rbs keep dropping passes.  You know what, not playing mims actually may help mims given how bad this team looks now.  He’d only look bad if the jets played him.  

Also, saleh seems not to understand that what happens in practice doesn’t necessarily translate to what happens on sundays.  Keelan cole having a ‘good practice’ means nothing, while mims having a sub par practice also means nothing.  Put both of them in the game and mims makes an impact, not cole.  Again, saleh is more focused on the process rather than the result.  

• Upvote 2

I can't even begin to express my disappointment with this team. Year after year, I build my hopes in pre-season, KNOWING that they will fail. Whether it's the first game, or the 4th game, I know they will collapse. I've been a ridiculous idiot fan since 1968. To be honest - I get that it's entertainment, but there has been no reason for me to continue this bullsh*t for a long time. Loyalty starts with ownership, and they have not held up their end. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Larz said:

In all seriousness, losing Lewis, Lawson, Davis, Pryor, Curry, Becton decimated an already underwhelming roster and JD decided not to make any moves to compensate 

8 rookies playing lots of minutes 

tne OC is 34 years old and a first time play caller and the offense takes time to install 

not sure how much input he had in this, but never getting a veteran QB to use as a staking horse of sorts, to play 6 games and get benched for Wilson, is malfeasance 

This is unacceptable.

This looks a lot like the 2017 SF team when saleh first got hired. Now they’re good.

They’re learning a new system. The jets have drafted poorly and have no support for Wilson. Offensive line is garbage and the play calling even more so

This is a lost year and should be better next year

• Upvote 1

Just now, DLJ said:

This looks a lot like the 2017 SF team when saleh first got hired. Now they’re good.

They’re learning a new system. The jets have drafted poorly and have no support for Wilson. Offensive line is garbage and the play calling even more so

This is a lost year and should be better next year

Talk about a team not lifting a rookie qb.  Protection sucks.  No running game.  Wrs and rbs dropping passes left and right.  And the hc won’t play their best wr.  Only this team.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Im actually stunned how bad this team looks. I expected a 4 or 5 win season but expected them to be competitive in most games. How do you score 6 points in 2 games in the NFL in 2021? This is just unacceptable. 

This is me, in a nutshell. I expected a losing season, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would somehow look WORSE on offense than we did last year.

I am legitimately shocked at how non-competitive the Jets offense has been. The team has 20 points in 3 games, including a shutout loss in game 3 and 14 of our points coming in garbage time of game 1. It’s just been unbelievably bad. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is me, in a nutshell. I expected a losing season, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would somehow look WORSE on offense than we did last year.

I am legitimately shocked at how non-competitive the Jets offense has been. The team has 20 points in 3 games, including a shutout loss in game 3 and 14 of our points coming in garbage time of game 1. It’s just been unbelievably bad. 

The jets have 3 points in the first halves this season.  No touchdowns in the first half.  And then saleh will tell everyone how well mims is practicing, then sit him.  And we’re supposed to applaud all this, as if the great pumpkin will come and make everything great.  Saleh should shut up about practices.  Nobody cares how these guys practice.  You score, we’re happy, we don’t care how practice went.  You get shut out, we’re mad and we don’t care how practice went.  He keeps reporting to us fans about practice as if this is actually what’s going to happen on Sunday.  The guy needs a reality check. 

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest mistake was not bringing in Mullins to run the offense and let Wilson sit I'm sorry to say he isnt ready to start.  I never saw him as a year 1 starter he is in my opinion  project QB that needs a year or 2 on the bench to sit and learn fans including with this coaching staff hype this guy as Mahomes 2.0 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

I honestly don't know what to think anymore.  Defense was not very good today but at least they show some signs of life, but the offense is just abysmal.  There were absolutely no positives to be taken out of today's game.

• We have spent a lot of resource and draft capital on the OL.  They stink.
  • We have spent a lot of resource and draft capital on the WRs.  They stink.
  • We have spent the second overall pick on a highly rated QB.  He stinks.
  • We brought in a highly respected young OC.  He stinks.
  • RBs and TEs are nothing special, but at least we have not spent a lot of resources there.  But they stink too.

I figured 6 wins and a competitive team this year. But we are so bad, that I don't know how we managed to score 14 points week 1.  Only week 3, young team, things can change, I get all that.  But there were absolutely no reasons for optimism watchng the product on the field today. 

I have been a big Joe Douglas supporter, but it is hard to defend him right now.  Nothing he has done seems to be working out.

He’s been cheap with the OL since he’s gotten here. And it’s biting him in the ass.

Past two years he didn’t pay up for proven veteran OL and walked away with bargain bin guys and expected to compete. 

This OL should be missing maybe one piece, not 3-4. 

• Upvote 2

In fact think the smartest thing to do is to bring up Josh Johnson and sit this kid before they ruin him and they are drafting a QB next year. The offense is regressing week after week.  week 1 this team was competitive  now they can't even score at this rate the Jets will be picking #1 and drafting Spencer Rattler. What a joke no QB competition just hand this kid the Job and hand not only Darnold to the panthers but give them a bonus QB James Morgan who started looking really good in last couple games of preseason. They had no real plan on how develop Wilson obviously starting him immediately was a mistake.

I agree with the sentiment.

Id also add that I have concerns about him being 1-dimensional. The D really isn’t bad. Considering the position they’ve been in the first 3 weeks, they’ve shown that with a competent offense they can hang.

Trusting the entire offense to a 34 yo is nuts. I won’t even delegate coffee runs to staff that young. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Same here.  Huge fan of the guy.  This isn't going well and he's responsible for it as the head honcho.

With that said, the defense has largely held up its end of the bargain.

The offense and the development of the QB are waaaay behind.  He may have the wrong OC and he may not have a good QB.  Both are TBD but heading the wrong way.

Week 2 was worse than Week 1.  Week 3 was worse than Week 2.  Week 4 is a damn good Titans team and Derrick Henry.

30 carries for 160 yards and 3 TDs

Once again, ya'll are short sighted. They saw competing with the Bills was going to be rough. Last year, JD started his plan and the Bills had cap trouble this offseason with the shrinking cap. Now, when the Bills win 101-2 with Allen throwing for a league record 9TDs all of them to Stefon Diggs and they have 24 sacks in a single game, their players will be too expensive to keep and that's when, like a coiled up Cobra hiding, they strike!

What if told you, the Jets will be 5-0 next year?!

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

First off I’ll say that I was a huge proponent of hiring him, well before it was assumed he was the front runner for the job.

I also still believe he can be a great coach.  Not throwing in the towel on him by any means.

That said, I  pretty disappointed so far.  And it really boils down to not being what you said you were going to be.  If you are going to implement a slogan, you better live it.  Results aside, the Jets play scared, cautious and conservative. Nothing like I expected.  I can live with mistakes when they are made out of an abundance of effort and aggression.  We have zero aggression.  That needs to change pronto.

Then throwing in things like “We’ve had great practices ” etc etc.  No one wants to hear that.  Own it.  Say you weren’t good enough.  Move on.

Only 50% with you. …yes he did talk a fine talk, the penalties are getting old… but he is a rookie HC.

that said the defense has been good. They get gased as all humans will (and disenfranchised over 4 quarters) but these struggles lie largely on offense. Totally disaster right now. Why is anyone assuming Lafleur was ready for this tasks? 

this would be a magnum opus for an experienced OC

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Im actually stunned how bad this team looks. I expected a 4 or 5 win season but expected them to be competitive in most games. How do you score 6 points in 2 games in the NFL in 2021? This is just unacceptable. 

I wasn't. Jets under 6.5 wins this year was a gift. Look at NFL Red Zone some time. These other teams look like they play the sport at a whole other level. than the Jets.

Bottom 3 roster with rookie HC and QB. What else did you expect?

That post game press conference was brutal. Nothing but the same cliched answers and talk of great practices. No one held accountable. None of the issues addressed. 

This is as bad as anything we seen under Gase. At least he would have a few scripted plays that would start us off pretty well - It was only after the first drive when his teams really went to sh*t. Under Saleh we've just looked completely unprepared, like a collections of individuals who've never met. 

The penalties are completely unacceptable. Losing a field goals because we couldn't get it out in time is unacceptable. We hired a clock management expert and we see this as well as calling a timeout a few plays into the second half, down seventeen f*cking points. This is inmates running the asylum levels of incompetence. What is going on?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm pretty disappointed you didnt thrash him more and peck him with your beak. But I guess you were being nice. ☺️  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Only 50% with you. …yes he did talk a fine talk, the penalties are getting old… but he is a rookie HC.

that said the defense has been good. They get gased as all humans will (and disenfranchised over 4 quarters) but these struggles lie largely on offense. Totally disaster right now. Why is anyone assuming Lafleur was ready for this tasks? 

this would be a magnum opus for an experienced OC

The defense has played fairly well for a team that cant sustain an offense. Any D is ALWAYS going to break down in the 2nd half when they are constantly turning the ball over and going 3 and out.  They get exhausted, disgusted and discouraged. So I'm hesitiant  blaming Saleh for that aspect BUT he is the HC, so guess what? HE takes the blame for the OVERALL performance of the team.  If they cant score points or create a sustainable offense, its his fault regardless.  That was as bad an effort as Gase's worse game when Falk was the QB.  At this point, some drastic changes need to be made. Sit Wilson and let him learn from teh sidelines and beef up teh OL next year.  He's just not ready to deal with this pressure. Look at Lawerence who's going through the same exact thing. Sign a vet to start. Get Mims on the damn field.  And thats just for starters.