Jump to content

Cap space this year- only 16th place


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, longsuffering88 said:

Likely another post that will be deleted-

How on earth can one of the “youngest teams” with a rookie QB, have such a mediocre cap position?

 

my god this is worse than thought

 

 

Won’t this change after cuts and cap increase?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're still paying 28 million in dead money.  Almost entirely from Mac's blunders...  I mean its impressive when your previous GM is still hurting your franchise nearly three years after he was fired. 

Thats why you don't go out and spend dumb money on FAs.  Bad choices don't just hurt your present, they hurt your future. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next year by cutting Fant, McGovern, Van Rotten and Lawson we would have about 92m in space. All these are likely moves, and there are tons more including restructure. I would not worry about $.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Next year by cutting Fant, McGovern, Van Rotten and Lawson we would have about 92m in space. All these are likely moves, and there are tons more including restructure. I would not worry about $.

None of those guys are getting cut next year.  They will be overpaid but the Jets need players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Next year by cutting Fant, McGovern, Van Rotten and Lawson we would have about 92m in space. All these are likely moves, and there are tons more including restructure. I would not worry about $.

So they can overpay for younger below average linemen no doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

even without releasing players our cap situation improves as a lot of dead cap money goes off the books. We even took a hit for the Herdon trade. Money isn't our problem. Our problem will be finding the FAs we want to spend money on as we need to spend a certain amount. Without improving on the field, it will be difficult to know what FAs to get - can't get the whole OL, secondary, WR, ... :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's not a problem, at least at the moment.  they only need enough to sign their draft picks and if they re-sign their own players.  if they try to bring in other free agents they can free up space by clearing out some of the current players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, varjet said:

None of those guys are getting cut next year.  They will be overpaid but the Jets need players. 

they will be replaced by draft picks and probably a free agent or three. Specifically McGovern and Van Rotten can be replaced by draft picks fairly easily. The jets are not paying the below, and restructuring typically means extending the years on the contracts...which the jets are not doing for these guys. They are all going to be gone...maybe we keep and restructure Fant.

 

Fant - 10m in savings 1m dead money if cut

McGovern - 9m in savings 1m dead money if cut

GVR - 3.5m in savings no dead money

Lawson - 9m in savings 1m dead money if cut

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's not a problem, at least at the moment.  they only need enough to sign their draft picks and if they re-sign their own players.  if they try to bring in other free agents they can free up space by clearing out some of the current players.

Yes not saying it’s a problem

saying that for all that money we spent, we might be better? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longsuffering88 said:

Yes not saying it’s a problem

saying that for all that money we spent, we might be better? 

when 28 million is dead mac money, it's hard to be much better.  true enough davis isn't carrying his weight.  but it's also bad luck that lawson got injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

when 28 million is dead mac money, it's hard to be much better.  true enough davis isn't carrying his weight.  but it's also bad luck that lawson got injured.

The issue is that most of their “off the street guys” are on defense….which I wouldn’t call the problem. The offense is all guys we’ve paid or drafted high up…and literally i dont think any of them have been good this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

The issue is that most of their “off the street guys” are on defense….which I wouldn’t call the problem. The offense is all guys we’ve paid or drafted high up…and literally i dont think any of them have been good this year.

The defense seems to be playing relatively well.  They’re not giving up those big backbreaking plays and generate some qb pressure.  The young cbs are holding up.  They also seem fairly well coached.  The offense is the opposite.  The offense seems overwhelmed, which is probably a reflection of the OC.  Play designs are poor, several wrs are often in the same area which makes it way easier for defenses and also makes it more likely a ball will be tipped.  The only rb worth watching is fortunately the rookie.  The TEs are again invisible, getting 1 catch per game.  Berrios is the only reliable wr as davis seems to have the yips when someone is on him and nobody else gets separation.  Moore has potential but at the end of the day he’s small and got popped good yesterday.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...