We need to shelve Zach for the year

Uncle Nicco

If only the team had some kind of vet qb on the roster.

The Jets have drafted 2 qbs now, and put them out there before they were ready, with no help around them.  Give a young QB a year, or at least half a year to observe and learn.

I loved the JD hire.  I liked what he tried to do from the draft, but he has made epic mistakes.  Not drafting Wirfs over Becton, his handling if Zach

• Upvote 2

I have no seen a play where 3 guys are just standing 5 feet away from each other and not moving until this season. The play designs are awful. Not to mention the center/right guard combo are borderline unplayable. 

I’m a big advocate of playing a rookie QB ASAP but this set up (rookie coach, rookie OC, 0 separation, drops, interior o-line who has no clue what’s going on) is a recipe to ruin him long term. Major failure to have 0 veteran experience surrounding him at the moment. 

• Upvote 3

It would be the right move to sit Wilson for a while, and the other rookie QBs. Jets and Jags were never going to compete this year so there is no rush. Chicago actually have a good roster, but Files gives them more opportunities to win now than Fields. 

Jets should let some vet take his lumps behind our sh*t o-line. When Saleh and LeFleur ever get a clue about coaching in the NFL, bring Wilson back in. Use our two firsts next year to finish the o line. 

• Upvote 3

To bench Wilson now, after the coaching staff and team leaders (Davis, Mosley etc) rally around him would show absolutely no faith in his ability to lead the team. You can't hand the keys to the guy and "you're our man" and then three weeks later take the keys back and say "actually, no, sorry about that, you're not quite our man yet"

Wilson is not the only rookie QB struggling this season, nor will he be the last. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Too late now because it will look so bad and probably mess with his psyche…but I have no idea why he was penciled in to start day 1. I thought he should have sat for half a season or even 3 quarters to be honest. He wasn’t coming into a stable situation.

New O install, rookie HC, rookie OC, Offense mostly rookies or 2nd year players. 

Let the O settle in and learn the system, let the OL gel, let the playmakers find their timing, let LaFleur coach through some mistakes.

All the problems here are fermented by JD. He os failing not just Zack, hs os failing the entire team. The fact that the O can't  sustain a drive is killing the D. We have to play Zack because JD has basically  demanded it by not getting a vet on here. At this point there is no reason Cam Newton should not be getting a call. Saleh is also to blame because we had a vet QB here who he cut in favor of White. 

I'm not going to bring up Becton because I think Becton will be good. He is just unlucky.  

Basically what I am saying is JD is nearly as bad as anybody we have had here. You can't  keep signing bargain basement players and build solely through the draft. Building through the draft is good but you need serviceable FA's here. Davis is not a guy that should be a #1, Coleman is not a bell cow back and we are seeing Carter os not a #1 either, Moore so far is showing he is a more Dedrick Ward than Tyreek Hill.  

All seems really odd in a lot of ways. . It seems the roster  was put together  on hope. Who does this?

• Post of the Week 2

Couldn't agree more.

Bring in a vet off the street.  Put Zach on ice for the rest of the year and let him learn in practice.  

Watch film, play against the first D as much as he can in practice...but until they can get this OL worked out and find receivers that can catch you need to get him off the field before it's too late.

If it's not already.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Pichula said:

This kid has talent oozing through his veins, he is better than I thought 

Great at evading the rush, rocket arm, tough as nails

Drafting him over Darnold was the right move

He nor any QB in NFL history can play the position under these circumstances 

The problem with the OL is the players. Until Fant, McGovern, and Van Roten are replaced they will continue to embarrass themselves. John Benton is a good OL coach, yet they look the same as last year. Why? The players are the same.  There is no solution there

Mike Lafleur is in over his head and has proven to be utterly incapable of designing an offense or calling plays to protect his QB. He is not an innovator. 

Sit Wilson, let LaFleur get fired at the end of the year and use every asset you have next year to actually fix the OL and get a TE

Saleh was best man at Matt LaFleur's wedding. People need to open their eyes to 2 things:

1. Wilson sitting on the bench wearing a C on his jersey will never happen

2. LaFleur / Saleh / Douglas are here for the next 2-3 years....and are all leaving together before any of them leaves alone

• Upvote 2

Shelve Zack?  Finally something which makes some sense.  Maybe JD can trade for Minshew before the season starts so the kid can get his feet underneath him.  JD is always on top of stuff like this which is why he's the cream of the crop of GMs.

What?  The season started three weeks ago?  The Eagles already made the Minshew deal?   Okay, forget it.  I'm sure JD has a backup plan.  

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Saleh was best man at Matt LaFleur's wedding. People need to open their eyes to 2 things:

1. Wilson sitting on the bench wearing a C on his jersey will never happen

2. LaFleur / Saleh / Douglas are here for the next 2-3 years....and are all leaving together before any of them leaves alone

I think with Saleh and Douglas you are correct. LeFleur is in line to be the sacrificial lamb. 

I think we need to fire Lefleur bring in a top OC pay him like a HC.  Sit Zach for several games and see what he looks like with a pro runing the O with a chance to re-wire the entire concept.  It's not fair to any backup to have to play in this "System" which is being installed by a position coach.  

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Too late, the only way you can do this now is with an injury or "injury" of some sorts.  You cant say ooops, our bad, kids not ready, we're not confident enough in him to see the year out.  That's a terrible look.

i think this is what the Bills did with Allen his rookie year if i remember when he "got hurt".

• Upvote 1

hmm I think a large group of us had this idea, and were met with nonsense like this:

1) The veteran mentor caricature is way overblown

2) Play the kids

3) Trust the process

4) JD is a god and cannot err.

5) blah blah blah, play the kids, blah blah blah All Gas no brakes.

These mistakes by JD/ Selah were not unforeseen, they got too cute. Thought they were above the fray. And they might actually end up ruining ZW who actually has real potential. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

More terrible than what we are? Suck the pride and make the right call. 

I disagree it's the right call.  I think it's the worst thing you can do to the kid.  Telling him he sucks so bad that you're going to go sign a veteran off the streets to play the rest of the year is not how you build his confidence.  I'd argue it would do more damage then good.  He will become the biggest joke in the NFL, right now, people are blaming the Jets.  You bench him, you're saying it's his fault.  Terrible terrible look.

This is the bed JD and the coaching staff made, they got to sleep in it. 

• Post of the Week 1

We can not wait to next year, by then Wilson might be seriously hurt. Something must be done now. Van Roten must be replaced even if we have to give up one of Joe D’s sacred draft picks. Obviously we won’t get a star but at least some one adequate. The same goes for the TE position.
Don’t tell me that there is no one out there better than what we have.
We are about to destroy another promising Qb.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pichula said:

The problem with the OL is the players. Until Fant, McGovern, and Van Roten are replaced they will continue to embarrass themselves. John Benton is a good OL coach, yet they look the same as last year. Why? The players are the same.  There is no solution there

Mike Lafleur is in over his head and has proven to be utterly incapable of designing an offense or calling plays to protect his QB. He is not an innovator. 

Sit Wilson, let LaFleur get fired at the end of the year and use every asset you have next year to actually fix the OL and get a TE

It’s like watching a crime.

Whoever was tasked with constructing the OL, along with most who are nothing but Halloween figures pretending to be NFL OL players are guilty of Assault or accessories to it.

Only a matter of time before Zack Wilson is seriously injured.  What is probably happening to his psyche can’t be underestimated either.  Don’t care how “tough” some say he is.  He’s human and being the recipient of an uncontrolled jail break against him virtually every time he drops and sees virtually NONE of his receivers with any daylight (gee, when was the last time that wasn’t the case?  What DECADE?) and NO RUNNING game or anyone to block for it (again...”what decade”)....is CRIMINAL.....

Like the OP states....sit him down and let him watch.  Mahomes was afforded that opportunity even though KC had real NFL players on their Offensive Unit his Rookie year...something Wilson (and Darnold for 3 years)...DOES NOT.

SIT HIM DOWN!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Pichula said:

Nice post and great idea. Yet, seems somebody didn’t think this through and couldn’t imagine Zach not coming in and playing well on this team. So unless you are ready for Mike White to play 14 games, no way he survives that obviously, we have by e to get the old dude Josh off the PS I guess. Haha, oh boy, o boy this team. 

50 minutes ago, British Jet said:

To bench Wilson now, after the coaching staff and team leaders (Davis, Mosley etc) rally around him would show absolutely no faith in his ability to lead the team. You can't hand the keys to the guy and "you're our man" and then three weeks later take the keys back and say "actually, no, sorry about that, you're not quite our man yet"

Wilson is not the only rookie QB struggling this season, nor will he be the last. 

Blame it on his groin injury obviously, Um guessing that’s why it was reported in the first place. Yet, staff forgot they forgot they need a semi somewhat viable vet back up for that to work. Oops?

47 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think we need to fire Lefleur bring in a top OC pay him like a HC.  Sit Zach for several games and see what he looks like with a pro runing the O with a chance to re-wire the entire concept.  It's not fair to any backup to have to play in this "System" which is being installed by a position coach.  

You could have Vince Lombardi as HC and Don Coryell as OC and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference.  Once again, this is NOT an NFL Roster.

I remember a few years ago on these boards where I projected that Darnold would be putting up 300 yard passing days in his sleep, and pretty soon, after he adjusted to the speed of the game.  Three years later I asked myself how I could have been so wrong....looks like I might have been too quick to criticize myself, maybe someone like Tony Romo, who knows way more than me feels the same way, he projected Darnold to be a Top 3 QB quickly and then the #1 passer in the entire league.  What happened?

Simple answer. Those tasked at building the Jet Roster should have been arrested.  Darnold never played a down with an NFL team, he is now.  I think the two 300 yard games he has put up in his first 3 games this year equal his total 300 yard games with the Jets in 3 years.

Zach Wilson is in the exact same predicament.  Sit him down.

• Sympathy 1

This is why some of us thought it was a bad idea to draft a quarterback this year when it was clear he’d be playing from week one. Installing a new system with a new OC without enough talent around the guy to support him is a terrible situation. We’re all seeing the results of that now.

The “if a guy is talented, you take him” strategy has failed for years. Hopefully they’ve got enough assets to overcome it this offseason and Wilson doesn’t get too rattled so this time can be different…but it’s looking like a rough season ahead.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

LaFleur has got suck it up and redo that effing playbook.  Get max protection and give Zach’s chance.  Salad is the biggest fraud ever if this crap stays the same

Last week, they pulled max protection and allowed the MLB to run up through the A gap and rush Wilson, contributing to his 1st or 2nd int.

How do you have max protection and let the linebacker run between the center and guard untouched??

• Upvote 1