We need to shelve Zach for the year

Uncle Nicco

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He never should have started in the 1st place.  We should have had a vet in here to start at least the 1st half of the year.

I think this QB draft class may put a damper on the start em week 1 thing. Remember this is a very recent development. Most smart teams sat rookie talent one year. The game is to fast for them. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think this QB draft class may put a damper on the start em week 1 thing. Remember this is a very recent development. Most smart teams sat rookie talent one year. The game is to fast for them. 

So much depends on the development of other parts of your team.

Teams like Arizona and Buffalo and the Chargers were well on their way in team development before getting the QB.

This is one reason I was an early proponent of keeping Darnold and  trading down last year.  Build the team to at least being solid THEN go get your QB.  Hell it even worked last time we were good.  Mark Sanchez walked into a near fully built team.

3 hours ago, Pichula said:

This kid has talent oozing through his veins, he is better than I thought 

Great at evading the rush, rocket arm, tough as nails

Drafting him over Darnold was the right move

He nor any QB in NFL history can play the position under these circumstances 

The problem with the OL is the players. Until Fant, McGovern, and Van Roten are replaced they will continue to embarrass themselves. John Benton is a good OL coach, yet they look the same as last year. Why? The players are the same.  There is no solution there

Mike Lafleur is in over his head and has proven to be utterly incapable of designing an offense or calling plays to protect his QB. He is not an innovator. 

Sit Wilson, let LaFleur get fired at the end of the year and use every asset you have next year to actually fix the OL and get a TE

You know that wont happen. LaPuke is here to stay. It would look really bad on Saleh to fire him. Would make him look like a novice HC.  Which he is. But I just dont see that happenning.  They'll just keep trying to upgrade the talent level over time and use that as an excuse.  And with that, it will get better but you are 100% correct, LaPuke is way way way over his head here.  The OL is the key here.  Unfortunately, they only have 2 pieces to work with: Becton, who is a big question mark and AVT.  They need a center, right guard and right tackle.  Thats not an easy fix but other teams have seemingly developed a good OL in a couple years.  JD needs to stop wasting his picks and upgrade the damn OL FIRST. Yes he drafted Becton and AVT with 1st round picks but the OL needs to be a priority next year. Sign a FA, draft a tackle with one of the 1st round picks and grab a guard with their 2nd rounder.  Our depth on the OL sucks as well. Next draft in the first 3 rounds: OL, LB, edge.  These are our weakest points. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You could have Vince Lombardi as HC and Don Coryell as OC and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference.  Once again, this is NOT an NFL Roster.

I remember a few years ago on these boards where I projected that Darnold would be putting up 300 yard passing days in his sleep, and pretty soon, after he adjusted to the speed of the game.  Three years later I asked myself how I could have been so wrong....looks like I might have been too quick to criticize myself, maybe someone like Tony Romo, who knows way more than me feels the same way, he projected Darnold to be a Top 3 QB quickly and then the #1 passer in the entire league.  What happened?

Simple answer. Those tasked at building the Jet Roster should have been arrested.  Darnold never played a down with an NFL team, he is now.  I think the two 300 yard games he has put up in his first 3 games this year equal his total 300 yard games with the Jets in 3 years.

Zach Wilson is in the exact same predicament.  Sit him down.

Completely disagree.  Great HC would get better results from the talent on the team.  They would also make the GM get the groceries they need.  Lombardi would have shaped the team and organization in his image.  

There are certain HC throughout the history of the league who were both inovators and flexiable enough to wipe the floor with their opponents because they were so much smarter and better prepared than their opponents.

Bart Starr was a second tier QB until Lombardi got a hold of him.

• Upvote 1

Completely disagree.  Great HC would get better results from the talent on the team.  They would also make the GM get the groceries they need.  Lombardi would have shaped the team and organization in his image.  
There are certain HC throughout the history of the league who were both inovators and flexiable enough to wipe the floor with their opponents because they were so much smarter and better prepared than their opponents.
No rookie head coach ever made any GM in any sport get players.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Oh I agree with everything you just wrote, that’s going on the assumption they had a chance to build something.  

I’m suggesting that if Lombardi stepped in tomorrow I don’t think the results would be all that different next Sunday, the Sunday after or much of the rest of the season, this Roster is that putrid.

But you don’t even have to go back all that far to understand your point, although it still took a little time along with bringing in some of “his guys”, when Bill Parcells took Kotite’s 1-15 team and came incredibly close to being in the Super Bowl only 2 years later with many of the same players.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Shelve Zack?  Finally something which makes some sense.  Maybe JD can trade for Minshew before the season starts so the kid can get his feet underneath him.  JD is always on top of stuff like this which is why he's the cream of the crop of GMs.

What?  The season started three weeks ago?  The Eagles already made the Minshew deal?   Okay, forget it.  I'm sure JD has a backup plan.  

Minshew would’ve been a good pick up. 

CC: @jgb

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pichula said:

This kid has talent oozing through his veins, he is better than I thought 

Great at evading the rush, rocket arm, tough as nails

Drafting him over Darnold was the right move

He nor any QB in NFL history can play the position under these circumstances 

The problem with the OL is the players. Until Fant, McGovern, and Van Roten are replaced they will continue to embarrass themselves. John Benton is a good OL coach, yet they look the same as last year. Why? The players are the same.  There is no solution there

Mike Lafleur is in over his head and has proven to be utterly incapable of designing an offense or calling plays to protect his QB. He is not an innovator. 

Sit Wilson, let LaFleur get fired at the end of the year and use every asset you have next year to actually fix the OL and get a TE

Last week I would have disagreed. But I have to say based on the "progression" of Zach from Week 2 to Week 3 combined with the BS coming in public media from GVR and our "center" I would just promote Josh Johnson for the remainder of the season and let Zach just learn and then have a fresh offseason with hopefully a completely new OL (outside of AVT and possibly Becton) next year. He is the real deal but yesterday showed we can wreck him