Joe Douglas is a failure

FlagmanL11

On 9/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, kdels62 said:

Douglas’s eagles drafts weren’t great

On 10/1/2020 at 10:27 AM, kdels62 said:

That’s not really what’s said here. It’s more a concern about what happens next. Joe Douglas built a war chest but he has to use it properly otherwise the team will sour quickly on him. It’s the same kinda thing that happened to Idzik who built a war chest and then failed to draft anything remotely useable.

Omg look at me. But also there’s still a whole season left before we really have an idea of what’s wrong with this team. 

2 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

JD is a smart guy who has made plenty of savvy moves but the bottom line is that good NFL teams are built through the draft and if you routinely miss on picks you'll be looking for a new job sooner rather than later. 

Wilson/AVT/Moore/Carter should be a foundational draft. Becton needs to stay on the field. Missing on Claypool to take Mims really hurts. 

Offensive lines are difficult to build. There's a reason 90% of the OLs across the league are underwhelming. High-priced FA OL aren't going to come to a situation like ours.

We have to build through the draft, that's the bottom line. JD has to start hitting on picks or everything else is moot.

He needs to draft MORE OL in each draft.  To his credit, he's taken an OL in the first round each year, but little to nothing after that (small school LT Cam Clarke who they didn't even bother to play last year).  He should be taking three per year until he's got a good OL. He should factor busts and injuries into his drafting strategy. Taking only one last year was awful.

Also, it would be nice to overpay for just one legit stud. Conklin would have been very nice...JD could've at least offered a bigger deal for him to consider....but he went with Fant instead.  He had a ton of cap space to play with.

But whatever, just draft MORE OL if you want to, you know, build a good OL.

:-)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, undertow said:

I remember the times when people would attack you for disagreeing with any move made by JD....those were fun times I wonder what happened to those people.

"In JD we trust" has thankfully taken its seat in the heap of stupid Jet Fan sayings

Oh yes lets just blindly trust a guy who has never been a GM before......good ridens 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

"In JD we trust" has thankfully taken its seat in the heap of stupid Jet Fan sayings

Oh yes lets just blindly trust a guy who has never been a GM before......good ridens 

You think people would have learned not to jump on that bandwagon too soon....if you are under the age of 30 I guess I get it if you aren't you are an absolute rock head.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Johnson hired David Shula from Miami to be the OC in Aikman's rookie year.  After it was clear neopitsim didn't work, he canned him after his second year and made Norv Turner the OC.  The Cowboys went 11 and 5 and was the OC when they won back to back Championships.  

@RobetSaleh

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I’ve been a Douglas booster because he’s done a lot of process stuff I like. That said, the team was horrific last year. Unwatchable offense, inconsistent defense, stupid mistakes, etc. So we blow out the coaching staff and turn over half the roster, and this year’s team looks exactly the same. Not good.

This is where I'm at.

The hire made all the sense in the world and his "big picture" approach to the job is clearly aligned with that you want to do. He wants to acquire picks, make smart value FA pickups, make smart trades, etc. He had a strong pedigree coming up as a scout for the Ravens and having been with the Eagles Super Bowl team. The hire looked great on paper and he walked into a bad situation...

But at this point he's had two offseason s\and the team is just awful. You look at teams like the Lions and Texans, who had every reason to be absolutely terrible this year and they look competitive. They look respectable. Dan "Knee Biting" Quinn almost upset the Ravens yesterday. 

And yet, with his handpicked QB and Coach the team looks as awful as they've ever looked. It's very tough.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I just have one question for JD: when will you finish rebuilding the oline as you promised? 

He figured GVR and McGovern on cheap deals is just as good as going out and spending on guys like Conklin, thuney, lindslay. How's that working out for us?

Perhaps JD's thinking is he will go through the draft to get the OL he really wants instead of spending big money on established OL vets.  Thus far he's got 2 in Becton and AVT. Three more to go. Next year he drafts another blue chipper and perhaps spends some big bucks on a guy like Shreff.  That would go a long way in stabilizing the OL which in turn would give Wilson time to do his thing.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Omg look at me. But also there’s still a whole season left before we really have an idea of what’s wrong with this team. 

Whole season left before we have an idea? 

Brother everyone on this board can tell you what's been wrong since last week. 

• Upvote 1

Fatso Douglas is a tre' dumb bastid, who has been GM

for going on three years. The sycophants who luv him

say he has only had two drafts, forgetting his first season

that he brought in stars like Pierre Desir. His first draft pick

Becton was physically and mentally soft a big schmuck over

ultra competitive Cede Lamb

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

RCILWKYUERDWLJR7GCDF6IG5PY.jpg

… and was specifically hired to be Adam Gase’s yes-man.  

The Jets did a masterful job of pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes yet again. Saleh and Douglas are straight out of central casting, a rah-rah head coach and a lunchpail general manager.  It’s almost as if they wanted to put together Pete Carroll and Rex Ryan using unqualified actors as stand-in’s, like one of those Beatles impersonator shows. 

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

I just don't understand those who are still saying that "we need to give JD more time, blah blah blah.  WHY??????  This is HIS team, from top to bottom.  He's completely shaped it to his vision over the last 3 years.  He's drafted poorly and his FA signings and strategy has been AWFUL!  It's literally professional negligence what he did to Darnold and he's clearly learned NOTHING from it as Zack Wilson is surrounded by a bunch of BUMS and is set up for failure as a result in 2021 and beyond.  

The stink coming from Met Life Stadium is all over him. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not for firing him because you can't continuously fire the front office and CS all the time. You have to give a GM and HC at least 3 years probably more to build a team. But he had pieces when he took over and now the team is worse. Not better. The expectation is you field a team at all times that is competitive. We're not seeing that in 2021. This team is a doormat and a fair team yesterday controlled the entire game. 

Normally I would agree but he has been far too bad and this off-season is far too important.  With the #overall pick and 5 picks in the top 63 and $100mm in cap space...you simply can't trust him to pick the right players.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I just don't understand those who are still saying that "we need to give JD more time, blah blah blah.  WHY??????  This is HIS team, from top to bottom.  He's completely shaped it to his vision over the last 3 years.  He's drafted poorly and his FA signings and strategy has been AWFUL!  It's literally professional negligence what he did to Darnold and he's clearly learned NOTHING from it as Zack Wilson is surrounded by a bunch of BUMS and is set up for failure as a result in 2021 and beyond.  

The stink coming from Met Life Stadium is all over him. 

They did the same thing with Mac even after it became obvious in 2016 the guy was a total fraud.  

• Upvote 1

the only thing that is positive is to see many of the joe fan boys finally seeing how badly he  sucks-the writing was on the wall when he drafted Morgan a guy that had zero chance of ever playing for us-a team with so many glaring holes  JOe just wasted a draft pick 

Just now, Albaniajet said:

Idzik Jets fans turned on immediately.  Probably because of his demeanor.  Mac and JD both have the same grift.  Pretend to be alpha male.  Jets fans and, more importantly, the Johnsons, buy it

But let's keep hiring first time GM "projects".   Except for winning consistently and championships, this team never diverges from repeat mode.   We just never seek to learn from previous mistakes.  It's like they embrace the errors and strive to recapture the failures.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

But let's keep hiring first time GM "projects".   Except for winning consistently and championships, this team never diverges from repeat mode.   We just never seek to learn from previous mistakes.  It's like they embrace the errors and strive to recapture the failures.

The next GM needs to have previous experience.  Someone like John Dorsey or Scott McCloughan

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Those guys were never coming here. People need to stop pretending that we can go out and get any FA we want to. 

the only way to do that is to offer above market ... well above market... $$$.  Al Davis used to do that when his team sucked.  And when it was good too.  Pissed off the rest of the league.  Woody Johnson will NOT allow that.  No way.  The buck stops there. 

1 minute ago, Albaniajet said:

JD has whiffed on pretty much all his draft picks.  We discovered the one guy dumber than Macagnan 

So.  Wilson is a whiff, but he is being spoiled by the coaching staff?   AVT?  Elijah Moore?  The Michael Carters?   Echols?  Sherwood?  Nasrildeen?  Mims is a whiff, but the coaching staff should change their entire offense to accommodate his tremendous talent?  I am not a huge fan of Douglas' drafting.  I wasn't a fan of what I read when everybody was washing his balls for coming over from Philly.  You still have to give them a chance.  There are between 9-11 guys he drafted who would be starting, plus the punter.  That doesn't make him great, but the idea that he is a sh*thead cause he took a shot on Morgan is dopey.  To paraphrase Van Hagar, only time will tell if they stand the test of time.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

the only thing that is positive is to see many of the joe fan boys finally seeing how badly he  sucks-the writing was on the wall when he drafted Morgan a guy that had zero chance of ever playing for us-a team with so many glaring holes  JOe just wasted a draft pick 

Morgan & Perine in the 4th. Wasting two thirds to move

up  for a guard.  There were plenty of good players taken much lower

Peoples Jones, Slayton, Alex Cappa