The Way Forward

FidelioJet

Zach wilson is a ROOKIE  going into his FOURTH GAME on the YOUNGEST TEAM in the entire NFL, which won TWO GAMES last YEAR!

How can any of us be surprised that he doesn't look like Montana to Rice just yet!!

Please let's give Wilson at least ONE FULL season before we collectively abandon him.......

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This thread is not meant to point fingers at or cast blame on anyone, it's not for "I told you so's"- there are plenty threads for that...We are where we are now

Let's look at the best way forward...

With the #1 overall pick likely, 5 picks in the top 63 and a massive amount of available cap space it's possible the right GM can turn this around.

Here are my thoughts...

• You MUST put ZW on the shelf for the rest of the season.
  • Sign the best veteran QB you can find.  Someone that understands the situation the Jets are in and willing to take the lumps.  If that's Cam Newton than go get him.
  • Joe Douglas should be let go immediately and unfortunatley Hymie Elthai can take the reigns in the short term.  The new GM search starts now.
  • Chris Johnson needs to be placed as far away from this team as possible (say what you want about Woody but the team was never this bad under his control)
  • Trade the #1 overall pick for the best deal on the table.  This team needs so much that you'll have to pass on an elite level prospect if one's there.
  • Draft should focus on OL.  You can't do anything until you have an OL.  Once you feel like you have something there, then move on to other positions.
  • FA's, you have to go and spend, again on OL and bringing in over priced vets (hate to do it) but the team has to get to respectability. We're just so far away from even being competitive that you have to hold your nose to pay big for simply competent level talent
  • Let the new GM decide what to do with Saleh and the rest of the CS
  • ZW decision is a tough one.  Two options...
    • Shelve him this year and possibly more - let him practice and learn.  Regardless of how he looks in practice he should not start playing until you have a line that can protect him and receivers that can catch.  In fact I wouldn't even dress him on game days.  He shouldn't even go in due to injury with this roster.
    • Trade him while you can still get a #1 for him (likely high 1) and run with vets until you've built a competent team and THEN and only THEN go out and draft one.

What do you guys think?

So the guy that has been an integral part of turning this into a leaky bag of flaming nuclear dog sheeT for a decade plus gets an even bigger role? 

ZW has 17 games if he survives to show something positive if we get nothing unfortunately we have to find another QB in 2022 
Until we get it right. 
image.thumb.png.d943941fe10bc102c667784e30b2938a.png
Zach has not looked good but this is just rediculous is it not blatantly obvious by now that drafting a QB every year in the first round is not the answer? These qbs are not the problem they need to be surrounded with some bit of talent you can't just take a QB and give him no offensive line pair it with a bunch of weapons who can't catch the ball and are in fact more likely to just let the ball launch off them to opposing backfields hands and expect success. Wasting picks on more QBs is not the answer fixing the talent around them to attempt to build a QB up is the only way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

If we start 0-10 it’s a possibility 

Well that's the majority of the season... they are talking about shelving him asap. 

Shelving Wilson after drafting him that high and tying your hitch to him will do 10x more damage to him than letting him roll. 

Want to destroy the mans confidence 100% for the rest of his career? That's how you do it. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

if ZW doesn't get actually hurt soon, you will see a phantom one.  Much like Darnold's foot injury in his rookie year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this week during practice, but he'll more than likely get another week or two before this happens.  Things are not going to get better.

I agree that it won't be for the season, but giving him a 3 week break is certainly in the realm of possibility.

I could see a 3-4 week break at some point if things don't get better. 

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Zach wilson is a ROOKIE  going into his FOURTH GAME on the YOUNGEST TEAM in the entire NFL, which won TWO GAMES last YEAR!

How can any of us be surprised that he doesn't look like Montana to Rice just yet!!

Please let's give Wilson at least ONE FULL season before we collectively abandon him.......

This is not about "benching" him - it's about putting him on the sideline for his own good.

This roster is not healthy for his development.  The way this team is playing is not helping him, it's hurting him.

He will be better served sitting on the bench and practicing than he would be playing and getting beat up, with no running game and WR's that can't catch.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Well that's the majority of the season... they are talking about shelving him asap. 

Shelving Wilson after drafting him that high and tying your hitch to him will do 10x more damage to him than letting him roll. 

Want to destroy the mans confidence 100% for the rest of his career? That's how you do it. 

Zach self destructing and losing every week ain’t building confidence either

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

This is not about "benching" him - it's about putting him on the sideline for his own good.

This roster is not healthy for his development.  The way this team is playing is not helping him, it's hurting him.

He will be served better sitting on the bench and practicing then he would be playing and getting beat up, with no running game and WR's that can't catch.

Disagree.

14 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Seriously, putting him on the sideline is worse for his development than letting get destroyed week in and week out?

Go watch him in week 1, then week 2, and finally week 3.

You'll see a QB that has progressively looked worse, playing with less confidence each week.  He needs to get his head on straight and needs to sit until this team can give him a chance.  Right now he has no chance to succeed with this compliment of players around him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, putting him on the sideline is worse for his development than letting get destroyed week in and week out?

You'll see a QB that has progressively looked worse, playing with less confidence each week.  He needs to get his head on straight and needs to sit until this team can give him a chance.  Right now he has no chance to succeed with this compliment of players around him.

Yet Zach has a better OL and receivers than Sam did last season 

• WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Yet Zach has a better OL and receivers than Sam did last season 

That's debatable, but Sam was the 34th ranked QB last year.  Right now he's 3-0 and looks very good.

I'm not sure the point you're making but if anything it shows why ZW should be benched until this team can put something around him allowing him to succeed.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

First, I don't think anything I wrote would happen.  JD isn't going anywhere, but he shouldn't be the one running things in this all too important off-season..  

I think you're right on what will happen with Zach - a groin injury seems about right.  Seems to be thee goto with Crowder.

As for his his parents, I think they were already concerned with him going to the Jets in the first place and their biggest fears are being realized.   They are only going to be quiet for so long.  

This is the type of thing the NFL really doesn't want and might get involved to make sure a deal happens sooner than later.  But ZW isn't going anywhere this season.

wilson had a groin injury before the denver game.  putting him on the bench at this point is silly.  putting in a vet paid to take the lumps just sends up the white flag.  there'd be a team revolt.  the coaches have to do better and get the oline straightened out.  if that means benching van roten and/or mcgovern or swithcing people around so be it.  but i suspect the line will stay the same until the break.  hopefully they can get a win or two.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This thread is not meant to point fingers at or cast blame on anyone, it's not for "I told you so's"- there are plenty threads for that...We are where we are now

Let's look at the best way forward...

With the #1 overall pick likely, 5 picks in the top 63 and a massive amount of available cap space it's possible the right GM can turn this around.

Here are my thoughts...

• You MUST put ZW on the shelf for the rest of the season.
  • Sign the best veteran QB you can find.  Someone that understands the situation the Jets are in and willing to take the lumps.  If that's Cam Newton than go get him.
  • Joe Douglas should be let go immediately and unfortunatley Hymie Elthai can take the reigns in the short term.  The new GM search starts now.
  • Chris Johnson needs to be placed as far away from this team as possible (say what you want about Woody but the team was never this bad under his control)
  • Trade the #1 overall pick for the best deal on the table.  This team needs so much that you'll have to pass on an elite level prospect if one's there.
  • Draft should focus on OL.  You can't do anything until you have an OL.  Once you feel like you have something there, then move on to other positions.
  • FA's, you have to go and spend, again on OL and bringing in over priced vets (hate to do it) but the team has to get to respectability. We're just so far away from even being competitive that you have to hold your nose to pay big for simply competent level talent
  • Let the new GM decide what to do with Saleh and the rest of the CS
  • ZW decision is a tough one.  Two options...
    • Shelve him this year and possibly more - let him practice and learn.  Regardless of how he looks in practice he should not start playing until you have a line that can protect him and receivers that can catch.  In fact I wouldn't even dress him on game days.  He shouldn't even go in due to injury with this roster.
    • Trade him while you can still get a #1 for him (likely high 1) and run with vets until you've built a competent team and THEN and only THEN go out and draft one.

What do you guys think?

I think your dreaming any of this os going to happen. I have been critical  of JD, Saleh, and Zack since they have been brought  in and I would be fine with any of the scenarios  you laid out but JD, Saleh, and his CS are going nowhere this year and probably next year. Zack is also not going to sit. They are playing him. For better or worse, Zack is finishing this season as the starter. If a vet QB was thought to be a need, he would be here.  I honestly  think it makes no sense to continue on this same path but we are on it and it looks like we are headed for the end of it. We can just hope the team improves. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

That's debatable, but Sam was the 34th ranked QB last year.  Right now he's 3-0 and looks very good.

I'm not sure the point you're making but if anything it shows why ZW should be benched until this team can put something around him allowing him to succeed.

Zach is right now playing worse than Geno Smith.  He absolutely deserves to be benched if he has another egg on Sunday 

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

wilson had a groin injury before the denver game.  putting him on the bench at this point is silly.  putting in a vet paid to take the lumps just sends up the white flag.  there'd be a team revolt.  the coaches have to do better and get the oline straightened out.  if that means benching van roten and/or mcgovern or swithcing people around so be it.  but i suspect the line will stay the same until the break.  hopefully they can get a win or two.

We are far past that.  Instead of putting up the white flag you're suggesting the whole crew just go down with the ship.

There's nothing coming to save them.   This is going to get far more uglier than it is now.  At least throwing up the white flag you're acklowedging your mistakes and can live to fight another day.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I think your dreaming any of this os going to happen. I have been critical  of JD, Saleh, and Zack since they have been brought  in and I would be fine with any of the scenarios  you laid out but JD, Saleh, and his CS are going nowhere this year and probably next year. Zack is also not going to sit. They are playing him. For better or worse, Zack is finishing this season as the starter. If a vet QB was thought to be a need, he would be here.  I honestly  think it makes no sense to continue on this same path but we are on it and it looks like we are headed for the end of it. We can just hope the team improves. 

OMG - I can't count how many times I've stated I don't expect this to happen.  It's just what I would do if I were in charge.

Is it possible to have a hypothetical discussion around here?

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We are far past that.  Instead of putting up the white flag you're suggesting the whole crew just go down with the ship.

There's nothing coming to save them.   This is going to get far more uglier than it is now.  At least throwing up the white flag you're acklowedging your mistakes and can live to fight another day.

there are 14 games left.   they're two games behind buffalo and only1 behind miami and the patsies.  they should be thinking they're still in it.  and they are because anything can happen.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

OMG - I can't count how many times I've stated I don't expect this to happen.  It's just what I would do if I were in charge.

Is it possible to have a hypothetical discussion around here?

I think there is a consensus here that Cam or whatever vet we can sign should be given a contract and Zack should sit and learn. I just see no point  in firing JD now, even with as bad as he seems

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes it is. 

Sit? Maybe for a couple games. (If we had a vet) Shelve the entire season? Yeah no. 

Getting blown up week in and week out, at least he can get the game experience and learn. Sitting on the side lines because a garbage team is garbage? That makes no sense. 

The same people advocating for this are the same people saying Mims needs to play. Why? What's Mims going to do with this roster? 

Sit Zach because the roster sucks so he can learn? 

And 

Start Mims because the roster sucks and he can get reps? 

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there are 14 games left.   they're two games behind buffalo and only1 behind miami and the patsies.  they should be thinking they're still in it.  and they are because anything can happen.

I'm going to ask this and I don't even mean to be sarcastic, but have you watched this team play?

This team isn't close to even being competitive.  At this point it's hard to imagine them scoring a TD let alone making a playoff run.

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love the "I am better than you" posters.  You're my favorite type. 

Come on the board to tell others how wonderful of a person you.

Good for you.  

I literally said absolutely nothing about myself being better than anyone nor did I insinuate that.  That said, I think I’m a pretty ok guy, so I thank you for reiterating it. 
Reading other posters craziness makes me feel better bc it reminds me that other Jets fans are as passionate and crazy (sometimes a tad bit much) as myself.

But with all due respect, some of the ideas you outlined are some of the most impatient and disturbingly premature things I’ve read here in some time.  Doesn’t make you a bad fan or “not as good a person as me” as you said.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love the "I am better than you" posters.  You're my favorite type. 

Come on the board to tell others how wonderful of a person you.

Good for you.  

I literally said absolutely nothing about myself being better than anyone nor did I insinuate that.  That said, I think I’m a pretty ok guy, so I thank you for reiterating it. 
Reading other posters craziness makes me feel better bc it reminds me that other Jets fans are as passionate and crazy (sometimes a tad bit much) as myself.

But with all due respect, some of the ideas you outlined are some of the most impatient and disturbingly premature things I’ve read here in some time.  Doesn’t make you a bad fan or “not as good a person as me” as you said.

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think there is a consensus here that Cam or whatever vet we can sign should be given a contract and Zack should sit and learn. I just see no point  in firing JD now, even with as bad as he seems

Thank you. 

I can understand the opinion of not firing him.  I just can't imagine allowing him to handle such an important off-season coming up.  And if you're going to get rid of him then, might as well be now and begin the recruitment process.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I'm going to ask this and I don't even mean to be sarcastic, but have you watched this team play?

This team isn't close to even being competitive.  At this point it's hard to imagine them scoring a TD let alone making a playoff run.

they aren't competitive on offense.  the defense and specials are playing plenty good at this time.  and even there it's a lot closer than we may think right now.  davis catches 3 of his 5 drops and it could've been a whole different ball game.  mims might've been a difference maker.  some better play calling and more inspiration would also go a long way.

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yes it is. 

Sit? Maybe for a couple games. (If we had a vet) Shelve the entire season? Yeah no. 

Getting blown up week in and week out, at least he can get the game experience and learn. Sitting on the side lines because a garbage team is garbage? That makes no sense. 

The same people advocating for this are the same people saying Mims needs to play. Why? What's Mims going to do with this roster? 

Sit Zach because the roster sucks so he can learn? 

And 

Start Mims because the roster sucks and he can get reps? 

We'll certainly have to disagree on the point of sit vs. learn.  This team isn't going to all of a sudden get better, ZW is going to continue to get killed.  I can see the other side of that argument though, believe it's okay for him to take his lumps and he'll come out the better for it.   I don't agree, but it's a valid argument that we've been having around here forever.  I think the Sam situation is tough to tell what would have been better for him.  He now seems like a very good game manager with competent players around him.  Could he have been more if he sat for a year? or did playing help him get to the point he is?

But come on...WR and QB play two very different position.  I know you know that - and comparing the two situations is silly.  And I know you know that too.

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

I often times will reluctantly read the board after losses.  I kind of read it like a kid watching a horror movie, eyes half closed peeking through hands.

The type of insanity I’ve been reading the last weeks has reached new levels.  The insanity angers me seeing fellowj Jets fans throwing out asinine ideas.

But it also makes me feel so much better about myself.  I don’t mean to single out this thread to call out the craziness, but it was a good candidate.

My feelings - exactly. I usually wait 24 hours and then read with high expectations for the insanity you speak about. Great word picture - horror movie?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

they aren't competitive on offense.  the defense and specials are playing plenty good at this time.  and even there it's a lot closer than we may think right now.  davis catches 3 of his 5 drops and it could've been a whole different ball game.  mims might've been a difference maker.  some better play calling and more inspiration would also go a long way.

I think that's a lot of wishful thinking...but I can certainly appreciate your optimism.

I came into this season expecting a lot of losses but I had hoped to see flashes and growth.

I came away after week 1 - about as happy as I could have expected.  I was more optimistic after the week 1 loss than I've been about this team in about a decade...But they just got worse and have shown absolutely nothing.  

What I'm suggesting isn't going to happen, so we're going to see your view played out.  I hope you're right, I really do.  I would like nothing more than to be wrong and this team turn things around.  Even losing like week 1 would be real, serious progress.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Zach has not looked good but this is just rediculous is it not blatantly obvious by now that drafting a QB every year in the first round is not the answer? These qbs are not the problem they need to be surrounded with some bit of talent you can't just take a QB and give him no offensive line pair it with a bunch of weapons who can't catch the ball and are in fact more likely to just let the ball launch off them to opposing backfields hands and expect success. Wasting picks on more QBs is not the answer fixing the talent around them to attempt to build a QB up is the only way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

The QB stirs the drink.