Saleh on Michael Kay today..it's getting ridiculous on Mims

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I have to respectfully disagree.

When Tannenbaum and Mangini traded Jonathan Vilma to the Saints, was it because he was lazy or dumb?  No, he just wasn't a good fit as a 3-4 ILB.

Some players and their skill sets just aren't good fits for certain systems.  Some players just aren't as talented as other players.  It doesn't make them lazy or dumb.

Saleh and LeFleur seem to place a high value on route running, a trait that was never a strong suit for Mims.  I don't think it's outlandish for fans to suggest that Mims may be able to jump start this offense if given a chance.

By the way, I agree with you that the "they're lying!" narrative is nonsense.  They simply view the players ahead of Mims as better fits for the system they are trying to run.

Since we're speculating now, I don't think scheme has anything to do with it.

I think Mims dogs it on and off the field.  I think he isn't putting in the work either in the filmroom/playbook OR on the practice field.

I think he's might just be the Anti-Laveranues Coles.

Coles was super pissed about his draft status, and used it as a chip on his shoulder his entire career to drive him to work harder, and be better, and he never, ever was criticized for being dumb or lazy.

Mims, from the second we picked him, was clearly mad about his draft status (it showed so clearly draft day, for those who recall), but has gone the other way.  He thinks he was entitled to much more, not that he has to earn more.  I think he is a classic case of a player who thinks he is way better than he is, and doesn't think the rules of 'hard work earns starting jobs' should apply to him.  

If I'm going to speculate, that is MY Theory.  

15 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

These Mims needs to know every WR route tree before playing are nonsense.

Saleh mentions during his press conferences that Mims needs to play special teams and I think that may be the real issue. Last season Mims didn't play a single ST snap and now the new guys come in and tell him he's on specials and Mims feels that as a 2nd rounder he's too valuable. 

They both take a stand. Saleh says no specials no playing time. Mims says I'm getting paid either way.

WR Denzel Mims said he asked the coaching staff to give him a meaningful role on special teams. He wanted to “show (them) what I could do.”He worked with the kickoff and punt team tonight.
  • Upvote 3

Attitude

Mims has displayed his toughness by playing through the hand injury in 2018 and his work ethic by adding strength after that season. He’s also clearly improved certain aspects of his game such as his release off the line and his route variation, so he seems to be someone who is coachable and who will work hard to get better.

Before the 2019 season, Matt Rhule named Mims as one of the “Front Nine”, which are the Bears players that get awarded a single-digit number. This is a reward for leadership, hard work and dedication that Rhule has said he would only give to players who have earned it.

Mims doesn’t seem to have any off-field issues, although he portrays a confident and sometimes bordering on cocky demeanor on the field.

Not sure I see Mims as being lazy, or entitled.  Seems like he was a hard worker at Baylor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mims, from the second we picked him, was clearly mad about his draft status (it showed so clearly draft day, for those who recall), but has gone the other way.  He thinks he was entitled to much more, not that he has to earn more.  I think he is a classic case of a player who thinks he is way better than he is, and doesn't think the rules of 'hard work earns starting jobs' should apply to him.  

I think Mims has a chip on his shoulder for all the teams that passed on him and unfortunately one of the teams that passed on him was the Jets when we traded back from 48 to 59 costing him draft status and money. 

Not sure about this guys makeup. 

I hope he can turn it around because I love the player. 

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did you listen to the interview?  Saleh literally said "scheme" when asked why Mims has not been suiting up on game day.  So no, I am not speculating, and yes, it seems like you are fully on the "conspiracy, he's lying" train.

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Attitude

Mims has displayed his toughness by playing through the hand injury in 2018 and his work ethic by adding strength after that season. He’s also clearly improved certain aspects of his game such as his release off the line and his route variation, so he seems to be someone who is coachable and who will work hard to get better.

Before the 2019 season, Matt Rhule named Mims as one of the “Front Nine”, which are the Bears players that get awarded a single-digit number. This is a reward for leadership, hard work and dedication that Rhule has said he would only give to players who have earned it.

Mims doesn’t seem to have any off-field issues, although he portrays a confident and sometimes bordering on cocky demeanor on the field.

Not sure I see Mims as being lazy, or entitled.  Seems like he was a hard worker at Baylor. 

I'm confused. If it's not an attitude issue WTF could it be? I hope the real story comes out one day.

15 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

These Mims needs to know every WR route tree before playing are nonsense.

Saleh mentions during his press conferences that Mims needs to play special teams and I think that may be the real issue. Last season Mims didn't play a single ST snap and now the new guys come in and tell him he's on specials and Mims feels that as a 2nd rounder he's too valuable. 

They both take a stand. Saleh says no specials no playing time. Mims says I'm getting paid either way.

sounds too logical. i suspect there's something to this.  berrios plays specials.  graham plays specials.  i think smith played specials.

17 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

If they get blown out again this week, things are going to go Nuclear very soon for Saleh and the New York sh*t show.

If? LOL LOL LOL Thus far they’ve played 3 games against the Panthers, Pats and Broncos, who are not exactly offensive powerhouses and have questionable overall talent on their rosters and average to below average QB’s. Now the  Jets face their first playoff contender. a team led by a resurrected QB in Tannehill, a very good defense and a RB that is being compared to Jim Brown. So I question your question: If?

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here. I think we lose badly BUT I’d be very excited to see Mims play and do well, Q and Mosley play well, the secondary to hold its own and Zach to have a competitive day and play mistake free football. Progress is the game plan in week 4. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

sounds too logical. i suspect there's something to this.  berrios plays specials.  graham plays specials.  i think smith played specials.

Specials don’t win games on a regular basis. **** the specials. The CS want specials, let them listen to this because this is what MetLife will be looking like if they don’t right this Titanic disaster

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think Mims dogs it on and off the field.  I think he isn't putting in the work either in the filmroom/playbook OR on the practice field.

I think he's might just be the Anti-Laveranues Coles.

Coles was super pissed about his draft status, and used it as a chip on his shoulder his entire career to drive him to work harder, and be better, and he never, ever was criticized for being dumb or lazy.

If I'm going to speculate, that is MY Theory.  

That very well could be. But, we just scored zero points last game. Corey Davis is proving to be unable to make key contested catches. Every other receiver is more slot like. Our tight ends our really a non factor. I don’t care about Mims feeling, emotions or what he thinks he deserves and how that effects the coaching staff.

If we were putting a competent offense on the field  not sure we would have mentioned him much past game 1. Just doesn’t seem like the time to be teaching life lessons and sticking to some perceived concept of what a guy has to do to earn his way in the field. So far that’s resulted in the worst offense in the NFL. Maybe try playing someone,  anyone to try and turn this mess around? I’m at a lost, but this is beyond asinine at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

That very well could be. But, we just scored zero points last game. Corey Davis is proving to be unable to make key contested catches. Every other receiver is more slot like. Our tight ends our really a non factor. I don’t care about Mims feeling, emotions or what he thinks he deserves and how that effects the coaching staff.

If we were putting a competent offense on the field  not sure we would have mentioned him much past game 1. Just doesn’t seem like the time to be teaching life lessons and sticking to some perceived concept of what a guy has to do to earn his way in the field. So far that’s resulted in the worst offense in the NFL. Maybe try playing someone,  anyone to try and turn this mess around? I’m at a lost, but this is beyond asinine at this point. 

shoo shoo me nasties and away me goes!!!  jets suck so hard but you're a witless troll!!!!!!  

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

image.png.510acc052b8147d508977ffa8d1384e5.png

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Fair enough.

But you know as well as I do, they don't care what you or other "Mims must play" fans think either.

I'd also say bailing on Corey Davis already, our big spend #1 WR, feels premature.  And I say that as a guy who was very hesitant over his signing and his ability to fill a #1 WR role here.

If we were putting a competent offense on the field  not sure we would have mentioned him much past game 1. Just doesn’t seem like the time to be teaching life lessons and sticking to some perceived concept of what a guy has to do to earn his way in the field.

If not now, then when?  Because now is exactly the time a Coach should be establishing expectations and standards.

Or do you just think Coaches should ultimately have no expectations or standards, and just play the "best guy" as determined by fans based purely on physical potential, no matter how hard they work or how much they get the system/playbook?  

So far that’s resulted in the worst offense in the NFL. Maybe try playing someone,  anyone to try and turn this mess around? I’m at a lost, but this is beyond asinine at this point. 

No question, what we're doing has not worked to a historic degree.

Something must change, soon.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Someone found an article from this August where Mims asks the CS to find him a way to contribute on ST. Something is very wrong. I suspected the 20lb loss from food sickness *only* he got was BS. I hope the kid is alright.

56 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Specials don’t win games on a regular basis. **** the specials. The CS want specials, let them listen to this because this is what MetLife will be looking like if they don’t right this Titanic disaster

the specials win games by not losing them.  i'm not saying this is the thing or only thing that keeps mims on the bench but if he wants to play then any game time is a good thing.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Attitude

Thank you!!

All of a sudden after Mims being a standout Leader in College and person who worked hard last year despite COVID is now a lazy bum..

And what are people basing this speculation that Mims is lazy on?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

Jet fan are notorious for this, and no Mims should not want to play on ST, he can catch the ball when other guys are dropping the ball and not getting separation on routes!

The Jets are currently the second worst team behind Pittsburgh in terms of Drops!!!

Get Mims out there and stop slandering the guy!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fair enough.

But you know as well as I do, they don't care what you or other "Mims must play" fans think either.

I'd also say bailing on Corey Davis already, our big spend #1 WR, feels premature.  And I say that as a guy who was very hesitant over his signing and his ability to fill a #1 WR role here.

If not now, then when?  Because now is exactly the time a Coach should be establishing expectations and standards.

Or do you just think Coaches should ultimately have no expectations or standards, and just play the "best guy" as determined by fans based purely on physical potential, no matter how hard they work or how much they get the system/playbook?  

No question, what we're doing has not worked to a historic degree.

Something must change, soon.

Mims must play fan? Ok, but I think I’ve been clear it’s less about Mims  and more about trying something other than what isn’t working right now. Mims just happens to be the only other huge physical receiver we had. By the way? Fans didn’t make it this way, Joe Douglas did. 

Nobody s bailing on Corey Davis, but he’s playing nothing, like at all like a #1 receiver. Maybe, just maybe, another big physical receiver might garnish some attention and give Corey a couple closer to open looks??Because we have seen if we are relying on him to make mostly contested catches it’s going to be a very long season. 

Expectations and standards should be based on a receiver catching the ball, moving the chains and scoring on game day. Not really sure what the purpose is beyond that. Not sure the NFL has anything like a Mr Congeniality award for the player the coaches feel best about. I assumed it’s the guy scoring and helping them win. I could be wrong, but seems simple from here honestly. 

Agreed. Hopefully next Sunday is the day we turn it around. Free Denzel! Love you homeboy. Haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

If? LOL LOL LOL Thus far they’ve played 3 games against the Panthers, Pats and Broncos, who are not exactly offensive powerhouses and have questionable overall talent on their rosters and average to below average QB’s. Now the  Jets face their first playoff contender. a team led by a resurrected QB in Tannehill, a very good defense and a RB that is being compared to Jim Brown. So I question your question: If?

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here. I think we lose badly BUT I’d be very excited to see Mims play and do well, Q and Mosley play well, the secondary to hold its own and Zach to have a competitive day and play mistake free football. Progress is the game plan in week 4. 

Yes well epext if the O keeps preforming at a new all time NFL low the D will start mailing it in very soon.

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mims must play fan? Ok, but I think I’ve been clear it’s less about Mims  and more about trying something other than what isn’t working right now. Mims just happens to be the only other huge physical receiver we had. By the way? Fans didn’t make it this way, Joe Douglas did. 

Nobody s bailing on Corey Davis, but he’s playing nothing, like at all like a #1 receiver. Maybe, just maybe, another big physical receiver might garnish some attention and give Corey a couple closer to open looks??Because we have seen if we are relying on him to make mostly contested catches it’s going to be a very long season. 

Expectations and standards should be based on a receiver catching the ball, moving the chains and scoring on game day. Not really sure what the purpose is beyond that. Not sure the NFL has anything like a Mr Congeniality award for the player the coaches feel best about. I assumed it’s the guy scoring and helping them win. I could be wrong, but seems simple from here honestly. 

Agreed. Hopefully next Sunday is the day we turn it around. Free Denzel! Love you homeboy. Haha 

This is getting Hackenbeg like. Even Gholston was allowed to play to show he was a bust.  Play the kid. Lets see what he's got. Holding him back is just stupid at this point. If he shows nothing then thats fine - cut him. We're 0-3. We can easily go 0-6 with him just as well. At last we could see for ourselves.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I remember when there was a cadre of posters around here who felt that the coaching staff at that time were conducting a vendetta against Vernon Gholston.  That theory made about as much sense then as this one does now.

From my recollection, Gholston PLAYED. Mims hasnt.

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mims must play fan?

Would "Free Denzel!" Fans have sounded better? :) 

I had a whole long reply planned, but got pulled away as I started writing it.  So I'll just say "I get your frustration my friend, and I agree, something has to change".  I may not agree with you "the only thing that matters..." comment, but I understand you.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes well epext if the O keeps preforming at a new all time NFL low the D will start mailing it in very soon.

Dont think that would happen but its obvious the strain it puts on the D.   If you look at the 3 games we played, the D played respectfully well considering the absolute abysmal performance of the offense.  Hard to keep games close when your offense goes 3 and out, turns the ball over constanly, loses field position, gets your QB sacked/running for his life, WR's dropping balls, the OC calling plays that make Shotty look good - did I leave anything out?     

Joe should be fired for the mims debacle  alone (sadly he wont though) for one of two reasons

#1- Mims is a dumb guy and cant learn the plays which makes him suck-Joe drafted him in the second round which means Joe simply does not know how to evaluate players which may be true because he brought in perriman at 18 million dollar deal and gave away free money to cole would is an ex jag in more ways then one

#2-Mims actually can play but is stuck on the bench and not playing

both reasons show how inept fat Joe is 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Baylor isn't the NFL.

We can only judge by what we see, what the staff says (PR/Coachspeak), and what Mims says.

Baylor isn't the NFL?  Wow I didn't know that.

All we have seen from Mims is 1 40 yard catch in 3 reps this year.  A decent rookie year.  The CS has said he has been great in practice two weeks in a row.  As far as I have seen Mims really hasn't said anything..

And with that you have somehow concluded that "Mims dogs it on and off the field".  LOL

OK, it's clear the guy is a lazy A hole.  SMH 

• Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Joe should be fired for the mims debacle  alone (sadly he wont though) for one of two reasons

#1- Mims is a dumb guy and cant learn the plays which makes him suck-Joe drafted him in the second round which means Joe simply does not know how to evaluate players which may be true because he brought in perriman at 18 million dollar deal and gave away free money to cole would is an ex jag in more ways then one

#2-Mims actually can play but is stuck on the bench and not playing

both reasons show how inept fat Joe is 

The $6.5M Breshad Perriman got for 2020 was an $18 million dollar deal?  Wow.  Douglas really is bad!  Especially since it was a 1 year deal!