The only thing worse than a crappy coach is a crappy coach with conviction

Facts

9 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I can live with the a clock management mishap- see Andy Reid

What I am concerned about is his actual knowledge of the game and his ability to  help fix this offense and OL

This was my biggest concern with the hire.

Saleh looks like Rex 2.0 minus the offensive talent.

Just now, Matt39 said:

The talk so far hasnt aligned with the product on the field. Less hashtaggy stuff and more results. He's coming off as a bullsh*t artist. My concerns began when they treated training camp practices as glorified walkthroughs. 

I’m beginning to wonder if he thought he essentially had a pass this year, where he could install his systems and culture and not worry about the w/l stuff.  Groom his qb and have the fans and media behind him.  And that would be true if the jets could score.  But when you’re getting shut out, getting stupid penalties, missing blocking assignments and dropping passes, AND benching your most dangerous wr, you’re going to get tough questions.  And someone needs to inform the hc of the nyj that nobody cares how these guys practice.  We just want to see some touchdowns.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m beginning to wonder if he thought he essentially had a pass this year, where he could install his systems and culture and not worry about the w/l stuff.  Groom his qb and have the fans and media behind him.  And that would be true if the jets could score.  But when you’re getting shut out, getting stupid penalties, missing blocking assignments and dropping passes, AND benching your most dangerous wr, you’re going to get tough questions.  And someone needs to inform the hc of the nyj that nobody cares how these guys practice.  We just want to see some touchdowns.  

Maybe but this is NY. Anyone who takes a NY job shouldn’t expect “time” no matter what the owner or GM tells you.

The media and fans are in real control 

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think what we’re learning quickly is that we also have a rookie head coach.

What we have is worse.  We have a rookie CEO-type head coach.

Now, so too is Bill Belichick and so too was Bill Parcells, the idea being that they aren't acting as coordinators so they can focus on other things like motivation, culture, clock management expertise, rulebook expertise, handling the media, and take all those burdens off the coordinators.

Sounds good on paper, and I support it, but when the HC hasn't built up that level of respect the players feel like he doesn't matter.  They report to the coordinators and the HC isn't their problem.  Add to that how Saleh is a players-coach type and has set a lowkey tone.  Add to that how he is supporting LaFleur in Mimsgate.  And we've created a situation not unlike all the Belichick disciples-  they talk a good game but the players don't automatically respect them like they do the CEO-types with experience which leads to fractures and a lack of discipline.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I can live with the a clock management mishap- see Andy Reid

What I am concerned about is his actual knowledge of the game and his ability to  help fix this offense and OL

7 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

This was my biggest concern with the hire.

Saleh looks like Rex 2.0 minus the offensive talent.

He passed the look test. Tough looking, tough defense etc. BUT realistically many fans on this board were talking about him before we fired Gase.   Who other than a rookie would take this job???. work for morons??. only an untested rookie HC.  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The HC has created a narrative that he's a patient teacher and he's brining along and providing positive motivation to a bunch of kids who merely need to get better to be successful in his eyes.

The GM has created a narrative that he's part of this new regime and it's Year 1 for him.  That he's a shiny new penny.  Like the last 30 months have never happened.

Both are full of sh-t and have the media eating out of their hands.  Fans are starting to catch on.  Just a matter of time until the implosion.  Someone forgot to tell Saleh that transparency doesn't fly in this town.  The writers are too bloodthirsty.  The players are too lippy.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Again - it’s his THIRD game doing it.  If you didn’t want a new HC and woulda been happy doing it with a retread, then you shoulda said so.  Growing pains are going to happen.

hchistory.jpg

In the Johnson era, the Jets have had 7 head coaches.

All of them met or exceeded the win total of the season prior to their debuts.  Parcells was 8 games better.  Mangini was 6 games better.  Bowles was 6 games better.  Gase was 3 games better.

Culture changes have that impact.  It's a fresh new day.  Players are excited.  Coaches are excited.  New players bring some new energy.  The fans are pumped.

And, for the first time in the last 25 years, that's not going to happen.  We are tracking to struggle to get to 2 wins.  And that's what's the matter right now.  Coming off a universally hated head coach, coming off of a weak quarterback, coming off the roster of a weak GM, this is supposed to be the beginning of something new.  And it's not.  There is no "all gas" energy.  There is no attention to detail.  There is no end to stupid penalties, blown assignments, explosive plays.  It's like there was no change at all.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

“(Install his) culture”

Ugh. 

When will teams learn that culture comes with winning. Not because a head coach decides it.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Again - it’s his THIRD game doing it.  If you didn’t want a new HC and woulda been happy doing it with a retread, then you shoulda said so.  Growing pains are going to happen.

This isn’t Walmart. 

You arent going to be paid millions of dollars and then be given time to learn the NFL rule book and time to figure out how to teach players gap assignments.

If you get the job, one would assume you already know how to be a coach.

1 minute ago, Facts said:

This isn’t Walmart. 

You arent going to be paid millions of dollars and then be given time to learn the NFL rule book and time to figure out how to teach players gap assignments.

If you get the job, one would assume you already know how to be a coach.

I bet you wouldn’t have gotten this much sh!t on your 3rd day at whatever job you have.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I bet you wouldn’t have gotten this much sh!t on your 3rd day at whatever job you have.

It hasn’t been 3 days. It’s been 6+ months of teaching these players. From OTA’s to Training Camp to the regular season. 

And if I was a surgeon, and a hospital hired me to do heart surgeries, I couldn’t botch the first few and be like “oops, i’m still new here!”

No. I’d be expected to know what I was doing before I took the job.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

hchistory.jpg

All of them met or exceeded the win total of the season prior to their debuts.  Parcells was 8 games better.  Mangini was 6 games better.  Bowles was 6 games better.  Gase was 3 games better.

Culture changes have that impact.  It's a fresh new day.  Players are excited.  Coaches are excited.  New players bring some new energy.  The fans are pumped.

And, for the first time in the last 25 years, that's not going to happen.  We are tracking to struggle to get to 2 wins.  And that's what's the matter right now.  Coming off a universally hated head coach, coming off of a weak quarterback, coming off the roster of a weak GM, this is supposed to be the beginning of something new.  And it's not.  There is no "all gas" energy.  There is no attention to detail.  There is no end to stupid penalties, blown assignments, explosive plays.  It's like there was no change at all.

SAR I

Please compare and contrast the Free Agent signings in the 1st years for each coach and let us know who spent the most on big names.  Thanks.  Cuz the year after those first year booms they all seem to have gone right back to sucking again.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Facts said:

It hasn’t been 3 days. It’s been 6+ months of teaching these players. From OTA’s to Training Camp to the regular season. 

And if I was a surgeon, and a hospital hired me to do heart surgeries, I couldn’t botch the first few and be like “oops, i’m still new here!”

No. I’d be expected to know what I was doing before I took the job.

Now imagine if there was an Anti-heart Surgeon trying to figure out ways to stop you from doing your job and hitting you very hard and being as good or better at the job as you.  There, fixed it.

• WTF? 2

15 minutes ago, Origen said:

Now imagine if there was an Anti-heart Surgeon trying to figure out ways to stop you from doing your job and hitting you very hard and being as good or better at the job as you.  There, fixed it.

There is.

Its called a living body. There is the potential for heart attacks, embolisms, hypotension, etc.

But even so, it’s all relative. You should know how to do the job before being hired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I once wanted Reid, Shanahan and McCarthy and was told each was bum and how a person like GASE was better than them all.

Now we have a HC that I am behind but I hope he is the right guy for the job! :( 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I once wanted Reid, Shanahan and McCarthy and was told each was bum and how a person like GASE was better than them all.

Now we have a HC that I am behind but I hope he is the right guy for the job! :( 

Reid was never coming here.  Not after dealing with the media in philly and the toll it took on his family.  

McCarthy is the one who got away

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What we have is worse.  We have a rookie CEO-type head coach.

Now, so too is Bill Belichick and so too was Bill Parcells, the idea being that they aren't acting as coordinators so they can focus on other things like motivation, culture, clock management expertise, rulebook expertise, handling the media, and take all those burdens off the coordinators.

Sounds good on paper, and I support it, but when the HC hasn't built up that level of respect the players feel like he doesn't matter.  They report to the coordinators and the HC isn't their problem.  Add to that how Saleh is a players-coach type and has set a lowkey tone.  Add to that how he is supporting LaFleur in Mimsgate.  And we've created a situation not unlike all the Belichick disciples-  they talk a good game but the players don't automatically respect them like they do the CEO-types with experience which leads to fractures and a lack of discipline.

SAR I

Yea, but the players respect him. Things are bad, we don’t need make-believe reasons for why.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Origen said:

Please compare and contrast the Free Agent signings in the 1st years for each coach and let us know who spent the most on big names.  Thanks.  Cuz the year after those first year booms they all seem to have gone right back to sucking again.

Hey,  I'm with you, I think Douglas did a crappy job of building this team.

But that's not the point.  This isn't about W's and L's at this point.  It's merely about steps in the right direction.

Every time we've changed a head coach, we've gotten a bump from the culture change.  Not this time.  The effort is not there.  The execution is not there.  The team unity is not there.  This is the biggest mess that we've faced since we've all been fans.  And it's just starting.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Saleh sucks because Zach sucks

You've got the wrong guy.  Saleh is a CEO-type coach, meaning he has no direct responsibility for either the offense or the defense.  He delegates that to his coordinators.

Saleh's job is strictly down to culture, media, clock management, rulebook integrity, and motivation.  

Hey, that's the way everyone wanted it, remember?  "We need a HC that reports to the GM and all that other traditional stuff" they cried.

Oops.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, but the players respect him. Things are bad, we don’t need make-believe reasons for why.

If the players respected Robert Saleh they wouldn't be pointing fingers in the media.  If the players believed in All Gas the defense wouldn't flat-out quit tackling, the offense wouldn't blow assignments, the special teams wouldn't screw up the clock.  And most damning, if the players felt accountability for the W/L record they would be playing a hell of a lot harder than this.

We've got a Herman Edwards personality trying to sell a Bill Parcells slogan who reports to a horrible player-picker who is trying his hardest to act like he hasn't been in Florham Park for 30 months and preaching "just improve, baby". 

This is setting a new standard for NFL dysfunction.  And it's just starting.  By Halloween this is going to get really interesting.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

hchistory.jpg

SAR I

And this happened because we have spent like druken sailors for these new coaches.  And then 2 years later, we are in cap hell and our quick fix scheme fails.  Rinse, repeat.

We might win 3 games this year.  Then win 7 the following year.  Then win 11 the next year etc.  Thats how a rebuild goes when the goal is long term success.

But you wanted us to spend like crazy so we can win 10 games this year and then turn to sh!t like we always do.

Great plan!

Only a jet fan would highlight 20 years of a few 9 and 10 win seasons followed by multiple 4 and 6 win seasons and say we should go back to this.  Hysterical.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2