Jump to content

The "phone booth" offense seems to be killing Zach Wilson. Was it really a staple in San Francsico?


Recommended Posts

our coach had  absolutely nothing to do with the niners offense

it was just like folks that thought Izadick would turn the jets into superbowl champs because he was on the staff for the Hawks

our coaching is bad, our roster is bad and our gm is bad-that is the simple truth

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was watching and a play stood out to me where we just had a bunch of guys within 10 yards absolutely surrounded by defenders. I seen the Jets reddit page had already highlighted it... Wha

Playing to a system and not to the strengths of your players is a recipe for failure. Here we go again.

The defenses aren't doing all that much to confuse Zach.  Rushing 4 and man cover 2.  We don't send enough receivers in routes, so they always have safety help.  Our receivers aren't good enough to ge

Posted Images

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

In Saleh's interview with Michael Kay today he acknowledged LaFleur's system is built on tight formations, with receivers inside the numbers and working in high traffic areas "in a phone booth."  Watching the tape I rarely see a Jets WR split out at the numbers.  The receivers are mostly standing right next to the OL.  This bunches 15-16 players in a tight area, which inevitably makes it harder to run and makes the passing windows very narrow for a rookie QB.  I really question the merit of building an entire system around these tight formations.  Clearly none of the players seem all that comfortable trying to execute it.  This is what we mean when we say the coaches are not putting the players in position for success.  Why put this stress on Wilson?

Why not split the WRs out wide, where you can get them in 1 on 1 matchups vertically, where guys like Corey Davis and Mims can use their size to catch back-shoulder, and let Moore operate in more space over the middle?  Let Wilson run 3 step drops with larger passing windows.

I think Saleh has become so obsessed with the idea of culture change and is maybe a little apprehensive about his offensive expertise, so he is being very rigid with "the system" and making everyone adapt to it for the sole reason of "it worked elsewhere."  LaFleur too.  They have this bias and it's preventing them from taking a step back and realizing they have to work with the talent they have.

Is this really what Kyle Shanahan did in SF?  Tight formations all the time?  It's not what I remember TBH but I could be wrong.

This is definitely something I noticed on Sunday as well, and it was extremely frustrating to watch.

The Jets ran so many tight formations - with all the receivers in very close to the linemen - that the middle of the field was extremely crowded, which had a clear impact on the running game and the short passing game.

I don't remember it being quite that obvious in previous weeks, but it was very obvious this week.

It's a wide field, so it makes little sense to crowd everyone in close to the tackle box while you try to make plays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

In Saleh's interview with Michael Kay today he acknowledged LaFleur's system is built on tight formations, with receivers inside the numbers and working in high traffic areas "in a phone booth."  Watching the tape I rarely see a Jets WR split out at the numbers.  The receivers are mostly standing right next to the OL.  This bunches 15-16 players in a tight area, which inevitably makes it harder to run and makes the passing windows very narrow for a rookie QB.  I really question the merit of building an entire system around these tight formations.  Clearly none of the players seem all that comfortable trying to execute it.  This is what we mean when we say the coaches are not putting the players in position for success.  Why put this stress on Wilson?

Why not split the WRs out wide, where you can get them in 1 on 1 matchups vertically, where guys like Corey Davis and Mims can use their size to catch back-shoulder, and let Moore operate in more space over the middle?  Let Wilson run 3 step drops with larger passing windows.

I think Saleh has become so obsessed with the idea of culture change and is maybe a little apprehensive about his offensive expertise, so he is being very rigid with "the system" and making everyone adapt to it for the sole reason of "it worked elsewhere."  LaFleur too.  They have this bias and it's preventing them from taking a step back and realizing they have to work with the talent they have.

Is this really what Kyle Shanahan did in SF?  Tight formations all the time?  It's not what I remember TBH but I could be wrong.

Fantastic post.  Not only does it suggest what the Jets biggest problem is at the moment, it points to a critical flaw that many failed coaching regimes have had.  A propensity to drive square pegs into round holes.  We saw it with Gase.  Instead of designing an offense that Darnold would flourish in, Gase ran an offense that a very different type of QB like Peyton Manning would prefer.  Darnold would do well in an offense that had a lot of line shifts, aggressive man blocking up front, misdirection & play action.  What Gase ran was an offense that had about four basic pass pass plays.  Success was predicted on pre-snap read, exact ball placement and timing.  Not a good match for Sam.  The exact opposite of what Sam's style/skill set would work best with.

Now the Jets have a QB with a skill set that would fit well in a shotgun based spread-set with four wide and LaFleur jams him up in a phone booth.

Always beware of an OC with a shoebox offense.  That being, a set system and play book that he tries to port from one roster to the next without regard to the manpower on tap.

As the defense has not been all that bad, it would seem as if LaFleur is the big problem right now.  As Saleh is the HC, I'd say he better step in and deal with it, or follow Gase out of town. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pichula said:

How do you know what the call is? I see three receivers well behind the line, even if Davis catches the ball in am not sure he gets the first. Lastly, if Davis wasn’t the primary on that play your point is irrelevant 

here is another view, you really think Davis gets to the first down marker? That defender has good position 

I dont know the play call but I assume since it was 3 bunch set and they're all running a drag, he picks the uncovered one, it's not like that requires a ton of progression, they're all right there.  And since the stills show him wind up to throw it, I assume he saw it and it was meant to be thrown on the 3rd step of his drop back, for whatever reason, he doesnt and then gets sacked.  I've said repeatedly, I have no idea if Davis makes the first down, maybe he does, maybe he doesnt but the play was there and it should have at least given him a chance to break a tackle or get lucky or something vs. taking a sack.

Again, for the what, 20th time now?  It's an example of how right now, all the components to this offense sucks.  OC, QB and WR's.  They all play their part of stupid in this example. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Atlantajet333 said:

SF version has more motion and jet sweeps plus they utilize the TE's, something that we either don't have or do. Our TE's are crummy blockers, something that must be addressed in the next off season.

SF simply has better personnel on offense.  Kittle is not only an excellent receiving TE who is lethal on play action and in the flats he’s a dominant run blocker.  Stack 8 in the box and leave DBs on an island with Kittle he will kill you since he’s so difficult to tackle.  SF has had a top 5 OL past several years.

 

Oh and Jimmy G >>>> Zach

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rtnelson said:

The defenses aren't doing all that much to confuse Zach.  Rushing 4 and man cover 2.  We don't send enough receivers in routes, so they always have safety help.  Our receivers aren't good enough to get open on a 3 step against man.  And our OLine isn't good enough to hold until a guy can get open in longer developing routes.

This offense is bad.  It's not just Zach, it's the offense as a whole.  Let's just hope it's the defenses we have been playing and not the overall ineptitude, but I'm pretty sure it's just bad.

Zach also locks onto receivers.  I thought Sanchez did that a lot but Zach is even worse

 

If you go 5 wide a lot like we did in 2015 it helps hide that because the secondary gets really spread out.  We did the most 5 wide formations of any team in the league in 2015 because Fitz is another scrub qb who always locks onto his first read 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Davis isn't open at all. The second Zach throws it the LB covering Kroft will break on it and likely pick it off if Zach leads him at all. He's right there.

Which is why wilson didn’t throw it then.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Someone else showed this play in another thread and I think this play perfectly displays the questionable scheme and Zach's struggles.

Yes, this design is bad but Corey Davis is open.  Look at stills 2 and 3 (you can see him getting ready to throw on 3).  That is a very easy 10 yard throw, ball should be out in 2 seconds to his favorite target and should be a completion.   The first receiver in this set is covered, Davis has a LB'er playing 7 yards off him and then the 3 receiver is doubled.  The pocket is perfect, Zach doesnt pull the trigger, maybe Davis gets to the 35, maybe he doesnt, but Zach doest give him a chance because he pulls the ball down and is sacked.  

So it's a triple doozy, terrible play design, terrible receivers and a QB scared to throw the ball.

 

True but then that’s basically the same throw as the first interception from the pats game. Not saying he shouldn’t throw it, just that obviously he’s not gonna if he’s playing in fear of making mistakes, and trying not to make the same one twice. That being said can lafleur stop calling the double/triple dig to the same level if anyone wants to evaluate Zach or anything about this offense this year. The San Francisco offense is about playing guys into space, not a system necessarily, while our offense seems to do the complete opposite. Bypassing space to flood parts of the field… for no real reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont know the play call but I assume since it was 3 bunch set and they're all running a drag, he picks the uncovered one, it's not like that requires a ton of progression, they're all right there.  And since the stills show him wind up to throw it, I assume he saw it and it was meant to be thrown on the 3rd step of his drop back, for whatever reason, he doesnt and then gets sacked.  I've said repeatedly, I have no idea if Davis makes the first down, maybe he does, maybe he doesnt but the play was there and it should have at least given him a chance to break a tackle or get lucky or something vs. taking a sack.

Again, for the what, 20th time now?  It's an example of how right now, all the components to this offense sucks.  OC, QB and WR's.  They all play their part of stupid in this example. 

 

Our fans don’t understand cause, effect, and the notion that more than one thing can be wrong at a time.

Everything here is reductive. It’s exhausting. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Atlantajet333 said:

SF version has more motion and jet sweeps plus they utilize the TE's, something that we either don't have or do. Our TE's are crummy blockers, something that must be addressed in the next off season.

This team could use a Zach Ertz in this offense since we have no tight ends at all.......Eagles are going nowhere,  is losing a 5th round pick worth getting a still viable TE threat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Davis isn't open at all. The second Zach throws it the LB covering Kroft will break on it and likely pick it off if Zach leads him at all. He's right there.

dude...

come'on

lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Our fans don’t understand cause, effect, and the notion that more than one thing can be wrong at a time.

Everything here is reductive. It’s exhausting. 

It's unreal...they're arguing Davis wasnt open.  When he is in fact, wide open.  Quick release fast ball Zachkapono cant beat the LB'er playing 7 yards off?   wtf.  Come'on...those are big windows in the NFL.  Zach threw into much tighter coverage on other plays in the same game.

And I know, poor little Zachy poo, I'm picking on him.  lol  Yet, I'm not.  I'm here literally saying this play shows all the dysfunction of the offense.  So much wrong in one play and yes, Zach is part of the wrongness but the apologist are out...

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nickfoshizal said:

True but then that’s basically the same throw as the first interception from the pats game. Not saying he shouldn’t throw it, just that obviously he’s not gonna if he’s playing in fear of making mistakes, and trying not to make the same one twice. That being said can lafleur stop calling the double/triple dig to the same level if anyone wants to evaluate Zach or anything about this offense this year. The San Francisco offense is about playing guys into space, not a system necessarily, while our offense seems to do the complete opposite. Bypassing space to flood parts of the field… for no real reason. 

It's really not, Nick.  It's totally different. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pichula said:

How do you know what the call is?

How do you know that one, if not two of the receivers ran the wrong route and the play design was fine?

You pull out static freeze frames and make all sorts of assumptions about the play design. 

But as soon as someone else makes an assumption you want to call them out on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's really not, Nick.  It's totally different. 

correct, and its actually not a good evaluation of the plays design because it is trying to play guys into space.  Tight formations in man, especialy bunch can be confusing for defenses and get free releases from two of the 3 in the bunch. 

 

Keeping that in mind, using overs, the shallow cross, and a deeper cross allow the offensive players to use speed to beat their defender across the field with little friction to a vacated area cleared out by the 9 at the bottom of the formation. 

May not be the call id make on 3rd down, but its not a flawed concept per say, the execution was just way off.  Wr's were all over the place (admittedly they may have the route order in a different way than I do it) and like you pointed out Zach was late on the throw, he had a window. 

Theres a lot more going on than just poor play calling at times. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I was watching and a play stood out to me where we just had a bunch of guys within 10 yards absolutely surrounded by defenders. I seen the Jets reddit page had already highlighted it...

gqvwjp22l5q71.jpg

What the actual f*ck is this? Talk about not giving a QB a chance. How in the hell could that have ever resulted in a first down?

I would bet my life savings that this play wasn’t designed like this.

Appears to be Cover 1 from the Broncos.  Someone read the defense wrong and ran the wrong route, if not two people.  One of those 3, likely the middle trip, likely was to run a deeper over/post route to put stress on the FS.  And one of them, likely the outside trip, should have ran a shallow crosser.  Traditional “drive” concept which is a cover one killer.

My guess is 1 if not 2 of the WRs in the Trips bunch thought they were in cover 3 and ran an incredibly jumbled levels concept.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

Zach also locks onto receivers.  I thought Sanchez did that a lot but Zach is even worse

 

If you go 5 wide a lot like we did in 2015 it helps hide that because the secondary gets really spread out.  We did the most 5 wide formations of any team in the league in 2015 because Fitz is another scrub qb who always locks onto his first read 

You’re literally just making sh*t up.  Or simply not sure what you’re looking at. 

ZW goes through his progressions better than any young QB we’ve had since Pennington.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would bet my life savings that this play wasn’t designed like this.

Appears to be Cover 1 from the Broncos.  Someone read the defense wrong and ran the wrong route, if not two people.  One of those 3, likely the middle trip, likely was to run a deeper over/post route to put stress on the FS.  And one of them, likely the outside trip, should have ran a shallow crosser.  Traditional “drive” concept which is a cover one killer.

My guess is 1 if not 2 of the WRs in the Trips bunch thought they were in cover 3 and ran an incredibly jumbled levels concept.

I wondered this, too.  To have three WR bunched and all run the same pattern, "follow the leader" style, short of what would be a first down even if a completion, is totally ridiculous. A busted route would also explain Wilson's hesitance to throw the ball with 4 defenders blanketing those inner 3 guys and the play basically broken.  Seems like you'd want the middle guy to burn straight down the field or cross with one of the other WR to try to confuse the defenders. I agree, the middle guy may have screwed up. Was that Corey Davis?

If that was the design.  Wow.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would bet my life savings that this play wasn’t designed like this.

Appears to be Cover 1 from the Broncos.  Someone read the defense wrong and ran the wrong route, if not two people.  One of those 3, likely the middle trip, likely was to run a deeper over/post route to put stress on the FS.  And one of them, likely the outside trip, should have ran a shallow crosser.  Traditional “drive” concept which is a cover one killer.

My guess is 1 if not 2 of the WRs in the Trips bunch thought they were in cover 3 and ran an incredibly jumbled levels concept.

so if you are right and these jags were active because they know the playbook, riddle me this how would mims mess this up anymore.  Saleh and the OC help me understand that

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

In Saleh's interview with Michael Kay today he acknowledged LaFleur's system is built on tight formations, with receivers inside the numbers and working in high traffic areas "in a phone booth."  Watching the tape I rarely see a Jets WR split out at the numbers.  The receivers are mostly standing right next to the OL.  This bunches 15-16 players in a tight area, which inevitably makes it harder to run and makes the passing windows very narrow for a rookie QB.  I really question the merit of building an entire system around these tight formations.  Clearly none of the players seem all that comfortable trying to execute it.  This is what we mean when we say the coaches are not putting the players in position for success.  Why put this stress on Wilson?

Why not split the WRs out wide, where you can get them in 1 on 1 matchups vertically, where guys like Corey Davis and Mims can use their size to catch back-shoulder, and let Moore operate in more space over the middle?  Let Wilson run 3 step drops with larger passing windows.

I think Saleh has become so obsessed with the idea of culture change and is maybe a little apprehensive about his offensive expertise, so he is being very rigid with "the system" and making everyone adapt to it for the sole reason of "it worked elsewhere."  LaFleur too.  They have this bias and it's preventing them from taking a step back and realizing they have to work with the talent they have.

Is this really what Kyle Shanahan did in SF?  Tight formations all the time?  It's not what I remember TBH but I could be wrong.

This is on LaFleur not Saleh. He has to adapt which is difficult for someone who’s just a pup. Now it’s become Saleh’s problem since he’s the HC and needs to insist LaFleur change strategy here. Saleh is a defensive coach first and foremost. The offense is in LaFleur’s hands. Time for Saleh to step up and lay down the law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would bet my life savings that this play wasn’t designed like this.

Appears to be Cover 1 from the Broncos.  Someone read the defense wrong and ran the wrong route, if not two people.  One of those 3, likely the middle trip, likely was to run a deeper over/post route to put stress on the FS.  And one of them, likely the outside trip, should have ran a shallow crosser.  Traditional “drive” concept which is a cover one killer.

My guess is 1 if not 2 of the WRs in the Trips bunch thought they were in cover 3 and ran an incredibly jumbled levels concept.

You sound knowledgable, certainly more so than me.  Let me ask you.

Assuming you're correct and assuming this isn't an isolated incident (because we've seen a few screen shots like this) and assuming all the free rushers are also simply missed assignments.

In your educated opinion - would continued wrong routes and free blitzes cause a QB play less confidently and subsequently take longer to make a decision? and potentially see fundamentals break down?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if I don't trust the receivers will be running the route they're supposed to I might be tentative with the ball...

and if I'm seeing constant free rushers, my fundamentals and footwork might break down a bit - or I'll be less likely to step into my throw.

Being 100% serious.  How do good NFL QB's deal with this stuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the posters on here just make me scratch my heads sometimes.

In no way, shape, or form is Corey Davis open on that play.  If Wilson makes that throw, it's either getting picked or Davis gets obliterated by the safety as soon as he touches the ball.  That's a hospital ball and Wilson would be getting killed on here if he makes that throw and puts Davis in danger.

The only chance that play has is if Wilson gets good protection and has enough time to throw it to Berrios as he turns upfield and starts to streak past the safety.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

You sound knowledgable, certainly more so than me.  Let me ask you.

Assuming you're correct and assuming this isn't an isolated incident (because we've seen a few screen shots like this) and assuming all the free rushers are also simply missed assignments.

In your educated opinion - would continued wrong routes and free blitzes cause a QB play less confidently and subsequently take longer to make a decision? and potentially see fundamentals break down?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if I don't trust the receivers will be running the route they're supposed to I might be tentative with the ball...

and if I'm seeing constant free rushers, my fundamentals and footwork might break down a bit - or I'll be less likely to step into my throw.

Being 100% serious.  How do good NFL QB's deal with this stuff?

I am by no stretch an expert, especially on QB play.  Anything I do know(or think I know) is because I was an equipment manager at Iowa for 2 years and got to watch practice and film for two seasons.

That said, I think it’s perfectly reasonable that if a Young QB is worrying about if player X will be here or  Player Y is picking up Blitzer Z, then they become tentative.  

As far as how good QBs handle it, I think that’s probably open for lots of debate.  My opinion is that most of the elite QBs have such a remarkable recall ability that they can visualize every play in their head the second they hear it.  Where as others have to process information more, think about what player Y is supposed to do more.  And that leaves them less time to figure out if the defense appears to be in Coverage X or Coverage Y.  So by the time the ball is snapped, they don’t have a clear image in their head of what will be unfolding.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing I was going to add is there seems to be a lot of communication issues early, and not just on offense.  
 

The long TD pass by Carolina in week 1 appeared to be in part due to a miscommunication between Maye and the other safety whose name escapes me.  The other safety certainly looked as though he had additional help in the deep part of the field.

On the long conversion to Hamler on the 1st Broncos scoring drive(3rd and 10). Hall is clearly trying to communicate to Maye pre snap.  Then they both go with the outside receiver for a moment, allowing Hamler to break wide open.

What I don’t know is who to point the finger at for those many snafus.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Someone else showed this play in another thread and I think this play perfectly displays the questionable scheme and Zach's struggles.

Yes, this design is bad but Corey Davis is open.  Look at stills 2 and 3 (you can see him getting ready to throw on 3).  That is a very easy 10 yard throw, ball should be out in 2 seconds to his favorite target and should be a completion.   The first receiver in this set is covered, Davis has a LB'er playing 7 yards off him and then the 3 receiver is doubled.  The pocket is perfect, Zach doesnt pull the trigger, maybe Davis gets to the 35, maybe he doesnt, but Zach doest give him a chance because he pulls the ball down and is sacked.  

So it's a triple doozy, terrible play design, terrible receivers and a QB scared to throw the ball.

 

That is what happens when you throw 4 ints in a game.  He get a little gun shy; now add two more ints this week and I am afraid we may see more of this.   I can only imagine how Zach would look if he were drafted by the Pats, who have designed their offense to make things as easy as possible for Mac Jones and to help him build confidence.   The Jets are doing the exact opposite with Zach and it is mind blowing that it seems they have learned nothing from the Sam Darnold debacle.   Granted it was a different coaching staff but JD was here and he has to see what is going on.   They have GOT to get Zach some easy reads and completions early in the game.  So much of this also is on the offensive line.  It would really be great if the kid had any semblance of a running game to keep defenses honest and allow play action to be a thing again.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

One other thing I was going to add is there seems to be a lot of communication issues early, and not just on offense.  
 

The long TD pass by Carolina in week 1 appeared to be in part due to a miscommunication between Maye and the other safety whose name escapes me.  The other safety certainly looked as though he had additional help in the deep part of the field.

On the long conversion to Hamler on the 1st Broncos scoring drive(3rd and 10). Hall is clearly trying to communicate to Maye pre snap.  Then they both go with the outside receiver for a moment, allowing Hamler to break wide open.

What I don’t know is who to point the finger at for those many snafus.

That is what happens when you have a basically an all rookie secondary.  I am not as worried about them than I am about the linebackers.   Echols is going to be good.  That pass interference penalty could have been called on either one of them and they were both hand fighting each other.  So far, he has been in pretty good position must of the time, as has Hall.   Guidry, and Carter III also have been decent considering their lack of experience.  Overall, the defense has not been that bad when you consider all the injuries and total ineptitude of the offense in stringing together any kind of sustained drives the last two games.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

LaFleur said he would design the system around our players. In the preseason he mostly used 11 personnel and had better spacing.

Now we are using this bunch formation which to be honest I think is idiotic and does not fit Zach at all. Spread them out and let Zach exploit 1 on 1s not try and make insanely tight throws all game and then become all irate when he throws picks.

It makes me wonder if Saleh is sorting of forcing them to run the more bunched approach because LaFleur did not do it in preseason. Maybe Saleh thinks it is the way to protect Zach from the rush.

It is not working. We should be in 11 personnel like 75% of the time, spread the defense out, run up tempo and let Zach make easy reads.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what an offense that has multiple issues looks like.  The QB is making mistakes and isn’t processing well enough, the o-line isn’t winning the line of scrimmage enough to sustain drives, the OC is in his infancy and is trying to find his way as a play caller, the WRs and RBs have dropped passes.   You don’t score only 20 points total in three games without there being multiple major issues.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This team should run a basic offense until we have the players to support whatever the **** a 'phonebooth offense' is.

Install it 2 plays a week so next year Zach is comfortable and we have more appropriate talent.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

Do phone booths even exist any more? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Someone else showed this play in another thread and I think this play perfectly displays the questionable scheme and Zach's struggles.

Yes, this design is bad but Corey Davis is open.  Look at stills 2 and 3 (you can see him getting ready to throw on 3).  That is a very easy 10 yard throw, ball should be out in 2 seconds to his favorite target and should be a completion.   The first receiver in this set is covered, Davis has a LB'er playing 7 yards off him and then the 3 receiver is doubled.  The pocket is perfect, Zach doesnt pull the trigger, maybe Davis gets to the 35, maybe he doesnt, but Zach doest give him a chance because he pulls the ball down and is sacked.  

So it's a triple doozy, terrible play design, terrible receivers and a QB scared to throw the ball.

 

I don't se anyone open in any of the frames.  What you're seeing is still photos where everyone is frozen.  Remember these bodies are moving and bunched so tightly single coverage becomes triple coverage in a hurry.  Maybe a vet QB that's been in the system and has built chemistry with a given receiver might let that ball go, but we don't have a Devante Adams on this roster.  I also think this tight formation stuff means tighter OL splits...meaning its far more suited to a power/man blocking scheme on run plays.  By bunching, you suck all the LB's in and pull up the safeties, then have to try to zone block (ie: block an area vs. a man).  When that area is already shrunk down, running successfully becomes more difficult.  Its a matter of reinventing the wheel.  You want your backs to have holes and space to run through....you widen splits and chip/chum block then have your playside OL wall off the LB.  I watched the Ravens do this beautifully, and, outside of McGovern, our OL are roadgraders not tap-dancers.  They should be locking on and drive blocking.  That's the system that fits this OL best.  Even the Broncos, who made the Zone scheme famous, still run a power scheme on occasion:

https://giphy.com/gifs/MsFvMgefxewl66rDO0?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.milehighreport.com%2F

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/MsFvMgefxewl66rDO0" width="480" height="232" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/MsFvMgefxewl66rDO0">via GIPHY</a></p>

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It's really not, Nick.  It's totally different. 

If that looks like nfl play calling to anyone here then idk what to tell you. Just tryna explain why Zach wouldn’t throw that ball, I mean seriously no one should need this explained, yes there’s a window, no a window that small and bunched isn’t what our rookie qb should be throwing to, and HELL NO THAT IS NOT CREATING SPACE. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...