Jump to content

***OFFICIAL SOLUTIONS THREAD*** How would YOU solve the Jets problems?


TerrapinJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

***OFFICIAL SOLUTIONS THREAD*** How would YOU solve the Jets problems?

1. I do absolutely nothing in related to the Head Coach, Coaching Staff and GM in 2021, and likely not in 2022 or 2023 either.

2. I talk with LaFluer about doing more to max-protect Wilson, get more out of the run game, and, as an aside, how we can work Mims and Perine in somehow.

3. I keep doing what I'm doing already for the Defense, they've materially improved (thru 3 games, small resume) vs. last season.

I don't really do much else. 

Saleh and the staff need to ability to build this team and system their way as they see fit.  If they fail, they will get fired eventually.

I am not tearing this all down yet again after a single season.  There is no instant-fix for this organization.

Maybe I'll feel different by seasons end this year.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Mims is said to be a lazy bum who cant learn his position.  We should reward this behavior?  I'm not sure thats what you do on a team this young in a rebuild stage

Feeney?  This isnt a different Feeney, its the one universally hated as a football player, not a hockey fan, all through camp?

Perines been injured, don t know why Adams hasnt been used.  I'd love to see him too.

I would think the plan for FA is to sign the high price FAs when the team is ready to take the next step to get all aligned, not have a Mosely like situation where is great play goes unnoticed on a team like this

The “culture” has us at 0-3 with Zach looking worse than Ryan Leaf

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Immediate actions would be to replace underperforming players where they can.

  • Mims over Smith
  • Feeney/Reserve over Van Roten
  • Perine and Adams over Johnson

The Jets need to shake up the scouting department.  Players evaluations have been subpar.

The Jets need to make a concerted effort to add proven talent via free agency.  The bargain shopping has not worked well.

Lafleur needs to prove that he can adjust his scheme and play calling to achieve better results.  If not, then he needs to be let go at the end of the season.

We are stuck with Douglas and Saleh for better or worse.  Need to see things though with them.  The approach has been good, the execution in drafts and free agency has been poor.

the scouting department should have NOBODY from the last decade.

something is off with our scouting.   it's almost mathematically impossible to miss on this many 2nd rounders.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who is the mystical, magical proven winner that is out there for us to overpay?  

And dont say Cowher, the guy has been saying he doesnt want to coach again for 16 years now.  

So who?  Whos the proven winner.  Its sounds good and is easy to say but...

Ozzie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I let the process play out. 

It's three games into a complete tear down, new coaches, new players, new systems.  Expectations were zero this year.

The one thing I don't do.....listen to whiney bitches on twitter and internet forums.

 

 

There are pretty evidently areas of the team that could feasibly improve over the course of the season and areas of the team that almost certainly will not. I know this board is insane right now and being contrary is fun but “I let it play out” is as boring, lazy, and off base as “fire everyone” IMO.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Maybe move Fant or Moses to RG and promote Odoga to RT.

Have a game plan to attack the other team's weaknesses instead of random play calls

Keep Johnson on the bench in passing downs

Find a LB who can tackle besides Mosely

Edoga's healthy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would eliminate, as much as possible, the guess work in drafting.  The Browns now use a "Moneyball" approach. That is, let the computer help.  Anyone who has read about it, saw how the game lies to us but stats don't.

I don't believe a well programmed model would have taken Becton over Wirfs and then Cameron Clark in the 4th.

The Browns drafting has improved tremendously.  

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/8/23/20829352/paul-depodesta-cleveland-browns-oakland-athletics-moneyball-analytics-nfl-mlb

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, derp said:

There are pretty evidently areas of the team that could feasibly improve over the course of the season and areas of the team that almost certainly will not. I know this board is insane right now and being contrary is fun but “I let it play out” is as boring, lazy, and off base as “fire everyone” IMO.

I think by week 10 you need to make an honest assessment of all the picks from the last 2 years and make a decision on Douglas moving forward. This assuming the record is as bad as we think it will be. If they decide it’s time to move on, begin the search then. Or find the guy/firm that’s going to conduct the search.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. I do absolutely nothing in related to the Head Coach, Coaching Staff and GM in 2021, and likely not in 2022 or 2023 either.

2. I talk with LaFluer about doing more to max-protect Wilson, get more out of the run game, and, as an aside, how we can work Mims and Perine in somehow.

3. I keep doing what I'm doing already for the Defense, they've materially improved (thru 3 games, small resume) vs. last season.

I don't really do much else. 

Saleh and the staff need to ability to build this team and system their way as they see fit.  If they fail, they will get fired eventually.

I am not tearing this all down yet again after a single season.  There is no instant-fix for this organization.

Maybe I'll feel different by seasons end this year.

If the Cardinals took that approach when Steve Wilks was their rookie HC and Rosen was thrown in because Sam Bradford was awful their stadium would be empty.  

They cleaned house after 1 year.  It may not work out but at least you can watch a Cardinals game and it's actually fun.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are you going to do other than maybe give Wilson a back out of the backfield as a safety valve ? 

We (At least in my eyes) were not going to be very good anyway. Did I expect us to be this bad ? No, but the reality is when you have a complete teardown of the franchise like this, it is not getting turned around in a year, two, maybe even three years.)

Make the game easier for Zach. Run the damn football. Commit to the run. Work off play-action. Get some guys in motion. It doesn't just go for Zach, It goes for Lawrence down in Jacksonville, and Fields with the Bears.

K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid. 

Once you get that stuff down, start building off of that. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the scouting department should have NOBODY from the last decade.

something is off with our scouting.   it's almost mathematically impossible to miss on this many 2nd rounders.

Who have they missed on?  Mims and?  This is a newer staff thats been here for 2 drafts not a decades worth.  

Unfortunately 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll tell you how I’m solving my problems. Sold away 4 tickets (+ parking pass) I had this weekend to take my wife and 2 boys.

Not wasting a weekend day, dealing with traffic to watch this lifeless utterly disgusting excuse for competitive sport.

It really isn’t worth it to watch this sh*t that’s been taking the field since 2012 (sans 2015).

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, derp said:

There are pretty evidently areas of the team that could feasibly improve over the course of the season and areas of the team that almost certainly will not. I know this board is insane right now and being contrary is fun but “I let it play out” is as boring, lazy, and off base as “fire everyone” IMO.

It will play out and everyone will be fired.  The only question is the time frame. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mims is said to be a lazy bum who cant learn his position.  We should reward this behavior?  I'm not sure thats what you do on a team this young in a rebuild stage

Feeney?  This isnt a different Feeney, its the one universally hated as a football player, not a hockey fan, all through camp?

Perines been injured, don t know why Adams hasnt been used.  I'd love to see him too.

Mims is said to be a lazy bum by who?  Saleh says it's scheme and having better players ahead of him.  When the offense is sputtering to 6 points a game, you shake things up and get your 2nd round talent on the field, scheme be damned.

Feeney was a three year starter in the NFL prior to joining the Jets and can't possibly be worse than Van Roten until proven otherwise.  What's the worst that can happen?  A complete turnstile at RG?  We already have that with Van Roten.

Johnson has been ineffective in multiple facets.  Next man up.

The Jets have to try something.  Putting the same personnel on the field and expecting different results is not a viable solution.  If the roster depth is not good enough to replace the complete and utter garbage player execution on the field to date, then replace the roster depth.  Scour the practice squads of teams with quality offenses (KC, Buffalo, LA, TB) and sign them to the 53.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TerrapinJet said:

For me its immediately give Saleh a 10 year contract extension. We somehow managed to find a HC worse than the worst HC in history (Adam Gase) but whats definitely not working is the HC merry go round. Find someone and stick to it. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't, but the constant switching only serves to ensure decades of futility.  This is the official position. Have a nice day. Let me know how youd solve it. 

This sounds crazy, but I agree. We should have committed to either Mangini or Rex. But you're right, the teams that win have had awful years and great years with the same coach, but that continuity matters. Imagine a business trying to function in the real world firing their core leadership team every 2 years!? lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first thing they need to do is find a QB that's familiar with Lafluers system and let WIlson learn on the bench for the year...since I don't think JD or Saleh are getting fired anytime soon they need to go all in on offense in next years draft...take a stud WR with the number one pick followed by two o-linemen a TE and another RB.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

This sounds crazy, but I agree. We should have committed to either Mangini or Rex. But you're right, the teams that win have had awful years and great years with the same coach, but that continuity matters. Imagine a business trying to function in the real world firing their core leadership team every 2 years!? lol.

Imagine a business trying to function when they put out a defective product that makes their customers rip their eyes out of their head when they use it.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Mims is said to be a lazy bum by who?  Saleh says it's scheme and having better players ahead of him.  When the offense is sputtering to 6 points a game, you shake things up and get your 2nd round talent on the field, scheme be damned.

Feeney was a three year starter in the NFL and can't possibly be worse than Van Roten until proven otherwise.

Johnson has been ineffective in multiple facets.  Next man up.

The Jets have to try something.  Putting the same personnel on the field and expecting different results is not a viable solution.  If the roster depth is not good enough to replace the complete and utter garbage player execution on the field to date, then replace the roster depth.  Scour the practice squads of teams with quality offenses (KC, Buffalo, LA, TB) and sign them to the 53.

Mims has been implicated since OTAs as lazy.  Don’t you think it’s just an excuse to save Mims to claim he has to learn all the WR positions or that he does t play STs?  He’s 6-3 and runs a 4.3 40 and anyone cares that he doesn’t play STs?  What did Smith play, STs once last Sunday?

I agree they should mix it up but if the OL isn’t blocking against really good Ds like we’ve faced, good front 7’s, is it the backs?  

I would give Feeney a shot, especially after GVRs big mouthed comments

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Imagine a business trying to function when they put out a defective product that makes their customers rip their eyes out of their head when they use it.  

The Jets business has the built in advantage of a billion dollar tv contract/safety net. It’s functioning fine in that regard and it’s really not comparable to a restaurant or whatever pumping out sh*tty food and service.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who have they missed on?  Mims and?  This is a newer staff thats been here for 2 drafts not a decades worth.  

Unfortunately 

you have got to be kidding right?  my point has the scouting department needs zero people from the past decade.

how many of the 2nd rounders in the last decade have been good?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Replace GVR asap. The guy just blows. In watching the game, it is clear he is by far the weakest link on the OLine. I would look for his replacement quickly and get him out of there. Whether that replacement is on the team or on someone's PS that is up to the GM office but GVR cannot continue to be a starter on this line. 

2) Give McGovern one more game and if he still blows, we need to find his replacement. The Center is the keystone to the O-Line and should be the one to communicate blocking changes. If the C blows, then the O-line communication will not work well. This one will be a little tricky since passable and good C's are hard to find. 

3) Keep an RB to help block for Zach. Right now, Zach is getting pummeled and the 5 wide doesn't work if we can't block at the O-line level. So please, for God's sake keep an RB, who can block, back there for Zach on passing downs. 

4) Commit to establishing the run. It is easier for an O-line to Run block than Pass block, so it should, theoretically, be feasible to improve in the run game that allows Zach to play better if the opposing D respects our run game. Play action doesn't work if the run game is not working. 

5) Get Mims in and let him try to blow the top off of defenses. Right now, no one on the WR is feared. Mims has scary speed so why not let him run Go routes once in a while to give Zach a chance for a chunk play. Berrios over Mims? Cole over Mims? WTF??? You can't teach size and speed. 

6) Use the TE more on Offense to give Zach a relief valve

All of my recommendations are on the Offense side because frankly that side of the team is really really bad. 

LL

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...