***OFFICIAL SOLUTIONS THREAD*** How would YOU solve the Jets problems?

TerrapinJet

1. practice, practice, practice

2. changing the guard.  try someone else at right guard.  maybe move mcgovern there and use feeney at center

3. put mims in unless there's some real unreported issue.

4. run more play action, screens, quick passes

5. re-evaluate lafleur at break and see if he needs a guy looking over his shoulder

6. add another oline player from draft, edge rusher, receiver, tight end, lb, safety

• Upvote 2

Step 1: Decide after game 3 to burn it all down.
Step 2: Fire sale of anyone we can trade for draft picks.
Step 3: Fire the coaching staff after the last game.
Step 4: Hire new coaching staff, new system making existing players incompatible.
Step 5: Draft lots of people and start as many as we can.
Step 6: If this team looks bad at week 3 repeat the whole process.

BTW—That was parody based upon emotion. Let’s try again based upon intellect:

Step 1: JD has some serious heart-to-heart with experienced professionals (mentors and friends) to get some outside perspective and advice.
Step 2: Saleh does the same.
Step 3: JD/Saleh huddle and make tough decisions. This may include easy things like bringing in coaching talent and hard things like planning to move on from some existing coaches.
Step 4: Honest conversation with coaches about how performance will affect personnel decisions.
Step 5: Develop a reasonable and realizable plan with the coaches regarding measurable progress as the season develops along with an understanding that positive and negative deviations from the reason plan will affect offseason coaching decisions.
Step 6: Monitor progress throughout the season.
Step 7: Make offseason personnel moves as expected by the plan.

I believe that the existing roster and coaching staff are neither super bowl nor toilet bowl quality. An expectation that they progress to perform at their actual (in many cases mediocre in others high) talent level is what you present to everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Two words Clifford Franklin.

"The football's like a one-man cold to Clifford Franklin. Clifford Franklin's the only man catchin' it, Clifford Franklin's the only man comin' down wid it."

clifford-franklin.jpg

Confuscius say "Man who go to bed with sexual problem wake up with solution in hand"

Given where we are in the process I don't think wholesale sweeping changes are good idea. 

• I think you need to commit to Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson through 2023. Quite simply, you cannot be this bad and expect immediate results. Nobody will want this job. Firing everyone after a year will send the message that this is an unstable organization that won't give you a chance. It will tell you nothing has changed. You have to give the people you picked an honest chance to instill change. Impatience from fans (which is understandable -- it's been ten years for us) can't dictate big picture decision making. And frankly, there is reason to believe in these guys.
  • I think you supplement the coaching staff with key additions. QB coach/passing coordinator with play-calling experience is a must, but taking a step back and looking at any and all ways we can improve outside of personnel is key. I'd look at guys with diverse backgrounds.
  • Obviously at the end of the day we just need to hit on more draft picks. I still feel good about what we did in 2021 but 2020 is looking like a very weak year and we need to be better. I defended moving up to take AVT but simply rolling with more picks and hoping to hit on more of them probably would have made sense.

I think those who are saying things like "we need to hire a proven football czar" need to realize that proven football czars don't want to come here and if we clean house, firing JD after two drafts and Saleh after one year we will be as toxic as any org has been in the NFL in recent years. We'll be in the Idzik, Culley level hires where we only get them because no other org wanted them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

For the amount of excitement everyone had going into this season, you people have gone a complete 180 and it’s absolutely insane.

did you people REALLY think that this team was going to compete for a playoff spot?  I know a fair amount of people did, so don’t try and back track now.

you have a first time HC and OC and a relatively new DC running a team that is EXTREMELY young.  Take that, add in the fewer preseason games, those in which the starters played what, maybe 10 series total AND this is what you get.

there’s going to be growing pains.  Not even a quarter into the season and people are calling for these guys jobs.  

Has it been good?  No - far from it.  But with all this NEW, what did you expect?  It wasn’t going to all of a sudden happen.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, heymangold said:

For the amount of excitement everyone had going into this season, you people have gone a complete 180 and it’s absolutely insane.

did you people REALLY think that this team was going to compete for a playoff spot?  I know a fair amount of people did, so don’t try and back track now.

you have a first time HC and OC and a relatively new DC running a team that is EXTREMELY young.  Take that, add in the fewer preseason games, those in which the starters played what, maybe 10 series total AND this is what you get.

there’s going to be growing pains.  Not even a quarter into the season and people are calling for these guys jobs.  

Has it been good?  No - far from it.  But with all this NEW, what did you expect?  It wasn’t going to all of a sudden happen.  

I expected them to score a TD here and there. 

• Upvote 1

Start by drafting a real QB prospect, not some one year wonder boy from a sh*t school against sh*t competition. If we don’t have the balls to jettison him immediately we’re going to be looking back again at the next Mahomes or Watson we passed on because we want to give the little elf another chance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1

Not a novel observation, but I think they need to scale back the offense. It's not that I think the volume is overwhelming Wilson intellectually or that he's turning the ball over too much. It's that he absolutely cannot get hit like he's been hit the first three games. If he's worth a crap, he'll figure out the intellectual part and clean up the turnovers (if he doesn't, he was never going to be good in the first place), but getting sacked fifteen times in three games screws up everything. It speeds up his internal clock, makes him distrust his reads, screws up his mechanics. I think you just run the ball 40 times a game and everything else is right in front of him--slants, screens, hitches, etc. It's a dreadful way to play football, but we're averaging 6.6 PPG now, so what's the difference? Protecting Wilson has to be the top priority right now. People who know more about football than me can explain why this would stunt his development, and I know that's a concern, but I think the physical beating he's taking is a much bigger threat. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Given where we are in the process I don't think wholesale sweeping changes are good idea. 

• I think you need to commit to Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson through 2023. Quite simply, you cannot be this bad and expect immediate results. Nobody will want this job. Firing everyone after a year will send the message that this is an unstable organization that won't give you a chance. It will tell you nothing has changed. You have to give the people you picked an honest chance to instill change. Impatience from fans (which is understandable -- it's been ten years for us) can't dictate big picture decision making. And frankly, there is reason to believe in these guys.
  • I think you supplement the coaching staff with key additions. QB coach/passing coordinator with play-calling experience is a must, but taking a step back and looking at any and all ways we can improve outside of personnel is key. I'd look at guys with diverse backgrounds.
  • Obviously at the end of the day we just need to hit on more draft picks. I still feel good about what we did in 2021 but 2020 is looking like a very weak year and we need to be better. I defended moving up to take AVT but simply rolling with more picks and hoping to hit on more of them probably would have made sense.

I think those who are saying things like "we need to hire a proven football czar" need to realize that proven football czars don't want to come here and if we clean house, firing JD after two drafts and Saleh after one year we will be as toxic as any org has been in the NFL in recent years. We'll be in the Idzik, Culley level hires where we only get them because no other org wanted them.

We don't need a football czar we need an Exorcist.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not a novel observation, but I think they need to scale back the offense. It's not that I think the volume is overwhelming Wilson intellectually or that he's turning the ball over too much. It's that he absolutely cannot get hit like he's been hit the first three games. If he's worth a crap, he'll figure out the intellectual part and clean up the turnovers (if he doesn't, he was never going to be good in the first place), but getting sacked fifteen times in three games screws up everything. It speeds up his internal clock, makes him distrust his reads, screws up his mechanics. I think you just run the ball 40 times a game and everything else is right in front of him--slants, screens, hitches, etc. It's a dreadful way to play football, but we're averaging 6.6 PPG now, so what's the difference? Protecting Wilson has to be the top priority right now. People who know more about football than me can explain why this would stunt his development, and I know that's a concern, but I think the physical beating he's taking is a much bigger threat. 

[stage whisper] Rush defense DVOA rankings of our next three opponents: 29th, 24th, 28th

• Upvote 2

This may seem like trolling by a Bills fan, but that is not my agenda. Not with the smarmy Patriots* fans thinking they've found their next Tom Brady* in the sleepy-eyed, dad-bod Mac & Cheese Jones, who is still getting his balls washed daily by the sports media, even after a three-pick performance. So, these are my thoughts:

1) Review the mistakes made heading into the season, and assess how some might be mitigated now.

2) Start running more 12 personnel. Whomever is the best blocking TE is the one who should be out there with Tyler Kroft.

3) Upgrade the O-line. Somehow. Shop other teams' practice squads. Engineer a trade. Something. Anything.

4) Protect Zach Wilson. (see #1-3 above)

5) Simplify the playbook to the plays Wilson feels most comfortable running. Throw some designed QB runs in there as well-- he's fast. 

6) Quick throws. Protect Zack Wilson! (did I say that already?)

7) GET A VET QB ON THE TEAM. There are plenty out there, and they're cheap. They don't have to be stellar quarterbacks on the field. They just have to have experience to pass onto Zack. They have to sit next to him when the defense is on the field with an iPad, showing him all the things he's missing. Matt Barkley was the very definition of mediocre, but he was an undeniable asset to Josh Allen. There were several posters on this site in the preseason saying that the "vet mentor" was unnecessary. They were wrong.

Christ, the QB who "won" the backup position could have been culled from a Greyhound Bus station. It's not even worth using his name. He's barely qualified to hold a clip board.

8 ) This whole season-- a rebuilding season-- should be all about developing Zack Wilson. And so far, this ain't how you do it.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I am one of the more optimistic Jets fans on this board, but what we have seen the last 3 weeks is far worse than just "not being a playoff team", it's getting embarrassed every week in games that are not even competitive. 

Awful teams like the Lions and Jags and Giants play close games every week. Granted, they lose every game but at least you see some positive plays. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

To the bolded: Yep. IMO, it's literally more important than winning games.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

you have got to be kidding right?  my point has the scouting department needs zero people from the past decade.

how many of the 2nd rounders in the last decade have been good?

Once again, not kidding, JD wasn’t here with the scouting department that was responsible for the last 10 drafts.  Even if a staff recommends players the GM has to take in the info and pull the trigger.  A Macc could be told to draft Mahomes by his staff but if he ignores the recommendation and drafts Adams well, yeah I’m not kidding

29 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

7) GET A VET QB ON THE TEAM. There are plenty out there, and they're cheap. They don't have to be stellar quarterbacks on the field. They just have to have experience to pass onto Zack. They have to sit next to him when the defense is on the field with an iPad, showing him all the things he's missing. Matt Barkley was the very definition of mediocre, but he was an undeniable asset to Josh Allen. There were several posters on this site in the preseason saying that the "vet mentor" was unnecessary. They were wrong.

Christ, the QB who "won" the backup position could have been culled from a Greyhound Bus station. It's not even worth using his name. He's barely qualified to hold a clip board.

I think this is overrated. What, specifically, did Matt Barkley do to develop Josh Allen? Why did Sam Darnold suck out loud when he was playing in front of Josh McCown, who's beloved by every teammate he ever played with, and is now playing great football in front of a 26-year-old UDFA who's never taken a regular-season snap?

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think this is overrated. What, specifically, did Matt Barkley do to develop Josh Allen? Why did Sam Darnold suck out loud when he was playing in front of Josh McCown, who's beloved by every teammate he ever played with, and is now playing great football in front of a 26-year-old UDFA who's never taken a regular-season snap?

I think you could find, I'll say hundreds(?) of pages devoted to why Sam Darnold sucked while he was in NY. And I don't think it's relevant to this discussion at all. But, clearly, the NY Jets have had problems developing QBs.

That being said, if you go back and watch literally any game when Allen was developing, when he went back to the bench, you would see him with Barkley (and Derek Anderson, before him) discussing images on the team iPad. They weren't doing the crossword. They were discussing the plays that had just transpired. Allen has talked numerous times how valuable those interactions were, and how valuable his relationship with Barkley was. In fact, Allen has been seen reviewing the iPad this season with Mitch Trubisky on the sidelines. 

Now ask yourself this: Does Zack Wilson have these interactions with Mike White? Maybe he does, I don't know. But, if he does, do you think they are doing any good whatsoever? He may as well be talking to Carl Spackler from Caddyshack.

20 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think you could find, I'll say hundreds(?) of pages devoted to why Sam Darnold sucked while he was in NY. And I don't think it's relevant to this discussion at all. But, clearly, the NY Jets have had problems developing QBs.

That being said, if you go back and watch literally any game when Allen was developing, when he went back to the bench, you would see him with Barkley (and Derek Anderson, before him) discussing images on the team iPad. They weren't doing the crossword. They were discussing the plays that had just transpired. Allen has talked numerous times how valuable those interactions were, and how valuable his relationship with Barkley was. In fact, Allen has been seen reviewing the iPad this season with Mitch Trubisky on the sidelines. 

Now ask yourself this: Does Zack Wilson have these interactions with Mike White? Maybe he does, I don't know. But, if he does, do you think they are doing any good whatsoever? He may as well be talking to Carl Spackler from Caddyshack.

Every young QB says the dud behind them is invaluable. What's the actual evidence that Allen's confabs with Matt Barkley or Derek Anderson did him any good? Is Mitch Trubisky, who came into this season having started one fewer game than Allen and has had none of his success, really imparting some special wisdom?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

This sounds crazy, but I agree. We should have committed to either Mangini or Rex. But you're right, the teams that win have had awful years and great years with the same coach, but that continuity matters. Imagine a business trying to function in the real world firing their core leadership team every 2 years!? lol.

you are wise

• Upvote 1

Start by drafting a real QB prospect, not some one year wonder boy from a sh*t school against sh*t competition. If we don’t have the balls to jettison him immediately we’re going to be looking back again at the next Mahomes or Watson we passed on because we want to give the little elf another chance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Yeah your spot on . Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are excelling this year .... wake the f up man... Zach has the most talent brah.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

For me its immediately give Saleh a 10 year contract extension. We somehow managed to find a HC worse than the worst HC in history (Adam Gase) but whats definitely not working is the HC merry go round. Find someone and stick to it. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't, but the constant switching only serves to ensure decades of futility.  This is the official position. Have a nice day. Let me know how youd solve it. 

Great OP title…….other than that….not so great.

6 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Could start by hiring a quarterback coach and/or passing game coordinator. Losing Knapp was a huge blow to Zach, and the entire team really.

Next offseason bring in a veteran QB to help mentor Zach (I don't think it would be good timing to sign one now with the season in progress). 

That’s like saying don’t bother calling the fire department because the fire already started. Even Fireman Ed would be scratching his head. 

5 hours ago, KO91 said:

They need to find a Parcells type coach that can run the whole organization. 

The only guys with that kind of clout are BB, Andy Reid, and Sean Payton. 

Of those 3 Sean Payton would be the only one who would possibly want the job. He’s been in NO a long time and could be enticed for another massive payday. If I am the Johnsons I would do everything in my power to get him. That would include giving NO the first overall pick. 

Your original post, while horrendous,  was a better idea.