Jump to content

After 57 years, I might have had enough.


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have a son, but he is not quite old enough to be able to watch football. 

I have been thinking a lot lately about how I am going to introduce him to the Jets (He already sees me yelling at the TV every sunday but is still way too young to know what is going on or what I am even doing). Honestly? I'm not even sure if I want to push the Jets on him.

The idea of forcing the Jets on my kid feels like a sophisticated form of child abuse. 

If I was a father of a young child… this is how I would feel too.  I would allow, and probably encourage the kid to pick a different team if he/she enjoys watching the NFL.

The Jets are unworthy of any new victims.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games

Wait wait!! Haven’t you heard of the new and exciting phone booth offense? 

I went back to work in a sweaty kitchen four months before I had to just so I could have Sundays off to watch this garbage. It's very hard to get Sundays off in the restaurant industry, so I jumped at

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games into last season.
This year I wanted to buy into the new HC, QB thing, but it just never got me excited. it felt like just more of the same, just with new faces and a GM who I just don’t have a lot of confidence in. The last couple of years seem like Groundhog Day. Bad GMs, bad HCs and obviously bad teams.
I read this board after the draft, and it felt exactly like the Spring/Summer of 2018. The new QB was throwing dimes in practice, had the arm of Rodgers and the head of Peyton Manning. The WR we drafted was going to be the next Jerry Rice and he was going to fit perfectly with the WR we drafted last year and our heralded new FA WR. Yeah… not so much.

The HC and his staff haven’t impressed me in the least, yet I can’t honestly say I expected much with the roster this GM has put together in his 2 1/2 years here. Things are looking as bad, if not worse than they ever have for the NYJ, and I’m becoming numb to it. Instead of going out and watching the team I rooted for all my life, I stay home and watch my local team, the Panthers. It’s funny to see a team with so many old Jets and a HC we almost hired play well, and it makes them an easy watch.

Will I turn my back on the Jets? No, I can’t do that. If they’re ever on down here I’ll watch, and I’ll keep up with what’s going on with them here, but I’m done watching for now. If things ever turn around, I’ll be right back to watch every game but for now, I’ll follow the Panthers every week, and a couple of other teams I enjoy watching, like the Browns and Chargers.

It took 57 years, but this last 4-5 year stretch has me totally apathetic about this team. I just refuse to watch any more football like this organization has given us for the last 19 games.

Just take a break from it. I had this with another team and best thing was to just not visit forums and give something else in life a go even just for a few weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games into last season.
This year I wanted to buy into the new HC, QB thing, but it just never got me excited. it felt like just more of the same, just with new faces and a GM who I just don’t have a lot of confidence in. The last couple of years seem like Groundhog Day. Bad GMs, bad HCs and obviously bad teams.
I read this board after the draft, and it felt exactly like the Spring/Summer of 2018. The new QB was throwing dimes in practice, had the arm of Rodgers and the head of Peyton Manning. The WR we drafted was going to be the next Jerry Rice and he was going to fit perfectly with the WR we drafted last year and our heralded new FA WR. Yeah… not so much.

The HC and his staff haven’t impressed me in the least, yet I can’t honestly say I expected much with the roster this GM has put together in his 2 1/2 years here. Things are looking as bad, if not worse than they ever have for the NYJ, and I’m becoming numb to it. Instead of going out and watching the team I rooted for all my life, I stay home and watch my local team, the Panthers. It’s funny to see a team with so many old Jets and a HC we almost hired play well, and it makes them an easy watch.

Will I turn my back on the Jets? No, I can’t do that. If they’re ever on down here I’ll watch, and I’ll keep up with what’s going on with them here, but I’m done watching for now. If things ever turn around, I’ll be right back to watch every game but for now, I’ll follow the Panthers every week, and a couple of other teams I enjoy watching, like the Browns and Chargers.

It took 57 years, but this last 4-5 year stretch has me totally apathetic about this team. I just refuse to watch any more football like this organization has given us for the last 19 games.

To each his own, but I think anyone who survived Gase can survive anything as a fan.  JMO of course.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have a son, but he is not quite old enough to be able to watch football. 

I have been thinking a lot lately about how I am going to introduce him to the Jets (He already sees me yelling at the TV every sunday but is still way too young to know what is going on or what I am even doing). Honestly? I'm not even sure if I want to push the Jets on him.

The idea of forcing the Jets on my kid feels like a sophisticated form of child abuse. 

I’m not pushing the Jets on my kids. No way

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Albaniajet said:

I’m not pushing the Jets on my kids. No way

It should be like smoking.

My father smoked, but parents constantly said don't smoke.  If they caught me w/smokes, I got my ass whooped.

Same should go for the Jets.  If you catch your children watching them, whoop 'em with a belt, big ass spoon, or broomstick.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 boys who I love very much, so I don’t push the Jets (or any team, interest, hobby, etc that I like) on them. 
 

I also give the “Mickey Mantle won’t ever pay your rent” talk and luckily they don’t get too emotional over sports but still love them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It should be like smoking.

My father smoked, but parents constantly said don't smoke.  If they caught me w/smokes, I got my ass whooped.

Same should go for the Jets.  If you catch your children watching them, whoop 'em with a belt, big ass spoon, or broomstick.  

I became a Jets fan in the early 90’s as sort of a joke.  Everyone where I lived in NJ as a kid was either a fair weather Cowboys fan or Giants fan.  I thought it was funny to root for the afterthought local team that was dumb enough to hire Dick Kotite

 

Yankees and Knicks I will push on my kids

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games into last season.
This year I wanted to buy into the new HC, QB thing, but it just never got me excited. it felt like just more of the same, just with new faces and a GM who I just don’t have a lot of confidence in. The last couple of years seem like Groundhog Day. Bad GMs, bad HCs and obviously bad teams.
I read this board after the draft, and it felt exactly like the Spring/Summer of 2018. The new QB was throwing dimes in practice, had the arm of Rodgers and the head of Peyton Manning. The WR we drafted was going to be the next Jerry Rice and he was going to fit perfectly with the WR we drafted last year and our heralded new FA WR. Yeah… not so much.
The HC and his staff haven’t impressed me in the least, yet I can’t honestly say I expected much with the roster this GM has put together in his 2 1/2 years here. Things are looking as bad, if not worse than they ever have for the NYJ, and I’m becoming numb to it. Instead of going out and watching the team I rooted for all my life, I stay home and watch my local team, the Panthers. It’s funny to see a team with so many old Jets and a HC we almost hired play well, and it makes them an easy watch.
Will I turn my back on the Jets? No, I can’t do that. If they’re ever on down here I’ll watch, and I’ll keep up with what’s going on with them here, but I’m done watching for now. If things ever turn around, I’ll be right back to watch every game but for now, I’ll follow the Panthers every week, and a couple of other teams I enjoy watching, like the Browns and Chargers.
It took 57 years, but this last 4-5 year stretch has me totally apathetic about this team. I just refuse to watch any more football like this organization has given us for the last 19 games.

Did you have a Flock of Seagull haircut in the 80’s?

giphy.gif
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, THE BARON said:

You forgot the pathetic uniforms.  The Jets legacy uniforms were sharp, clean and professional.  Especially the all whites.  The new uniforms are pathetic.  The uniforms match the rest of the organization now, so why not... 

so true. New helmets are a cartoon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

so true. New helmets are a cartoon. 

You know who as stunning uniforms ... The Air Force ... how can a team like that do it successfully  .. but not the Jets ??

 

DkfssU5UwAAsqak.jpgair-force-4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

You know who as stunning uniforms ... The Air Force ... how can a team like that do it successfully  .. but not the Jets ??

 

DkfssU5UwAAsqak.jpgair-force-4.jpg

Because the Jets are poorly managed at the top and that filters down.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating fans of 50 plus years know the pain of the OP while later fans can’t quite get it and don’t understand why you would come out here and post your leaving.  
 

Well as a fan of 50 + years myself I do get it and it is why I am not so hard on individual players.  Organizations win and the Jets as an Organization haven’t known what they were doing, clean bathrooms and wanting more Tebow time yes they knew about winning football hames or running an NFL franchise not ao much. Hey  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I haven't been emotionally invested in this team since mid season last year...the Gase era really turned a lot of people off it wasn't only the product on the field that was the problem for me it was that it was totally predictable that Gase would be a dumpster fire and ruin Darnold.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a certain peace in letting go.  One can only retain so much hurt before they must recognize they are in an abusive relationship and have to make a change.  I myself am happy telling my friends that I fell off a ladder and broke my arm, when we really, really, all know it was broken in a rage smash.  So now we must all hide our bruises, shake off that gaslighting, and get back in the house and start making dinner because Sunday is coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If I was a father of a young child… this is how I would feel too.  I would allow, and probably encourage the kid to pick a different team if he/she enjoys watching the NFL.

The Jets are unworthy of any new victims.  

Neither of my sons ever gave a simple sh*t about football.  Could not care less no matter how much it interests me, or the fact I played in high school or college, or their grandfather coached.  So luckily, this line of Jets fans dies with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah I haven't been emotionally invested in this team since mid season last year...the Gase era really turned a lot of people off it wasn't only the product on the field that was the problem for me it was that it was totally predictable that Gase would be a dumpster fire and ruin Darnold.

I agree with you completely.
 

The hope that Darnold brought, most of us knew he had the potential to be really good (seems to be proving that right now) and poorly his “development” was mismanaged from ownership to gm to hc’s was pitiful.

The only solace was the hope that this new trio era was supposed to bring.

But, it’s been such a bad start that we all expect the same disaster with Douglas-Saleh-Wilson that we had with Mac-Bowles/Gase-Darnold

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mike135 said:

It should be like smoking.

My father smoked, but parents constantly said don't smoke.  If they caught me w/smokes, I got my ass whooped.

Same should go for the Jets.  If you catch your children watching them, whoop 'em with a belt, big ass spoon, or broomstick.  

But what if you catch them in the back room cheering for the Bills?  Isn't that almost worse?  Like okay, go be a Chargers fan, whatever.  But if the Bills stay good and become obnoxious like the early 90's again... ugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree with you completely.
 

The hope that Darnold brought, most of us knew he had the potential to be really good (seems to be proving that right now) and poorly his “development” was mismanaged from ownership to gm to hc’s was pitiful.

The only solace was the hope that this new trio era was supposed to bring.

But, it’s been such a bad start that we all expect the same disaster with Douglas-Saleh-Wilson that we had with Mac-Bowles/Gase-Darnold

When you finally decide to draft a QB in the top 5 the most talent guy you have probably had in 50 years you have to come up with a better plan then hiring Adam Gase....that decision and the 3 years that followed just sucked the life out of me. lol

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, undertow said:

When you finally decide to draft a QB in the top 5 the most talent guy you have probably had in 50 years you have to come up with a better plan then hiring Adam Gase....that decision and the 3 years that followed just sucked the life out of me. lol

Yeah me too. It was really a drop off of a cliff for this franchise. It cemented everything and everyone thinks about this organization.

Keeping Mac and Bowles was bad enough, but then hiring Gase…after messing up hiring the guy who wanted this job….and is now coaching Darnold to success.

It’s almost a written tragedy because it’s so perfectly pathetic.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Origen said:

But what if you catch them in the back room cheering for the Bills?  Isn't that almost worse?  Like okay, go be a Chargers fan, whatever.  But if the Bills stay good and become obnoxious like the early 90's again... ugh.

Think I'd be okay with it.  So long as they weren't jumping off vans backflipping onto tailgating tables.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Think I'd be okay with it.  So long as they weren't jumping off vans backflipping onto tailgating tables.

Nope, it all comes in the package.  They immediately become backyard extreme wrestling practitioners.  And get a Fathead of Marv Levy.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids Facetimed me at literally 1:00, verifying that the NY Jets mean nothing to them and they had no idea the game was even happening.  I was totally fine with it.  Allowed me to pause and zip through the first half with no commercials. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...