Could JD get axed by year's end? How is he different than Idzik who lasted just a year?

Maynard13

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Great post, I agree with all this and honestly the bold is the only true gripe I have with JD and the CS right now but unfortunately, it's too late.  In regards to the draft, it's too early to make any determinations on this draft but it's plain to see they should not have had Zach Wilson starting the season.  That was as you said, a huge miss.  

Yeah I think you and I were pretty consistent on the desire to redshirt a rookie pre-draft and as the situation gets ugly it’s nice to have an exchange with someone who agrees.

If they’re 0-3 and terrible starting Nick Mullens, AVT is inconsistent, the defense is more functional than their collective talent playing lots of young guys, and Moore takes a bit to get going I’m just chilling and excited for Thibodeaux or a boatload of picks and a better situation for Wilson next year. Instead they’ve thrown him rookie into a terrible situation and all the mistakes in roster building are magnified because they’re impacting a rookie who’s not playing in clean pockets anymore and his lack of familiarity with it is showing.

52 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  blame Becton. Mangold and Brick played on a line with solid Vets in Damien Woody and Alan Fanecca. Becton with what little playing he has done has been with a bunch of scrubs. 

He’s also never healthy. Maybe he’d be more focused if some vets were around, but the Jets knew they didn’t have the presence that when they drafted him. A guy who we all knew wasn’t a self starter as your first ever pick as GM wasnt a good move. Especially with Wirfs there from a blue blood OL program.

• Upvote 1

I think at this point, the middle management are playing for their jobs-LaFleur, Becton the OL Coach, the scouting people who report to JD.

I think many here have hit it on the head regarding the mental capacity of the draft picks.  Something is getting missed in the scouting here.  From my perspective I pick Wirfs over Becton, overlooking the shorter arms for the mental dedication and focus.  Same thing with Claypool over Mims.   But I do think that the 2021 class will start to turn it around so as to not require JD get fired for two bad draft classes.  There are too many other things failing here.

But, notwithstanding that 2 years will remain on JD's and Saleh's contracts after 2022, if this team does not look respectable at the end of 2022 they both need to go.  If I were the Johnsons, I am also asking for more accountability on the draft pick strategy, as we have too many to blow in 2022.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Axed by years end?  Joe Doulas is going to be the gm here for 20 years.  He will have an ozzie newsome like run with us.  We will be competing for a Super Bowl as soon as the 2023 season.

Axed???  Not a chance.

prior to the season you said competing for a super bowl in 2022 season.   have you given up on next year?

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

As an example - When bringing in a rookie QB and knowing you’re bringing back 4/5 of the worst OL in the NFL (in addition to all the other new things that were certain to take time to develop) - after watching your previous QB get destroyed.  

Becton + AVT + Moses should have made this line at least average/competitive instantly. 

We ere not bringing back 4/5 of the worst line, we had on our roster a group of linemen that SHOULD have been absolutely adequate to need, talent wise.

I never thought I would say this but so far JD has done a worse job then Idzik and Mac player personnel wise.  I understand what his philosophy is building through the draft and not overpaying free agents over 30 but so far it hasn't worked even a little bit.  People who jumped on the Douglas bandwagon really should have waited to see if he was a good drafter before washing his balls.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Becton + AVT + Moses should have made this line at least average/competitive instantly. 

We ere not bringing back 4/5 of the worst line, we had on our roster a group of linemen that SHOULD have been absolutely adequate to need, talent wise.

It was the worst OL in the NFL last year...

The starting OL had one new player - a rookie G.

Becton was here last year - and Moses couldn't beat out Fant (If JD signed Moses to be an upgrade to Fant he clearly failed at that too) 

Becton - AVT - McGovern - GVR - Fant

Same OL as last year's worst in the NF (with a rookie G)....This isn't debatable, it is fact.

Putting that out as your starting OL, with a rookie QB, knowing what they produced last year is a fireable offense on its won.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It was the worst OL in the NFL last year...

Becton was here last year - and Moses couldn't beat out Fant (If JD signed Moses to be an upgrade to Fant he clearly failed at that too) 

Same OL as last year's worst in the NF (with a rookie G)....This isn't debatable, it is fact.

Putting that out as your starting OL, with a rookie QB, knowing what they produced last year is a fireable offense on its won.

I remember being pretty upset during free agency that the o-line was ignored and trashed for it...people were saying it would be addressed during the draft.  IMO there should have been at least a solid guard brought in along with drafting another lineman in a o-line heavy draft.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A 1st round pick.  A well regarded first round pick.  Those should play, and play pretty well, day 1.

If JD got AVT wrong, so did pretty much all of JN.

Becton was here last year

And was expected to be better this year after a pretty good rookie year.

- and Moses couldn't beat out Fant (If JD signed Moses to be an upgrade to Fant he clearly failed at that too) 

I have no idea why Moses was not a starter.  He's been a pretty rock solid starting O-lineman the last 6 years here in DC.

Becton - AVT - McGovern (ugh) - GVR - Moses were all on this roster, and all should have been starting opening day.

That, even with the obvious weak-link of McGovern at Center, is a perfectly adequate starting NFL Offensive Line, talent wise.  And half of it, Becton-AVT, was expected to be above average (as two first rounders should be!)

32 minutes ago, undertow said:

I remember being pretty upset during free agency that the o-line was ignored and trashed for it...people were saying it would be addressed during the draft.  IMO there should have been at least a solid guard brought in along with drafting another lineman in a o-line heavy draft.

Here's a fear -Next off season JD just drafts ONE OL player and ignores any FA OL or just resigns an over the hill type like Moses again.  That would be tought to see again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Here's a fear -Next off season JD just drafts ONE OL player and ignores any FA OL or just resigns an over the hill type like Moses again.  That would be tought to see again.

We need to bring in more solid vets to hold the fort and mentor the younger players...I understand if the top end players aren't interested in coming here or are over priced but there was a few guys like Kevin Zeitler who were available.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, STLuLu said:

What has Douglas done? Absolutely nothing. Maccagnan did more in his first year supplying this team with quality players than Douglas has done so far in two years. Say what you want about Mac’s FA signings, but at least he tried unlike Douglas who has had more cap space than Mac and has been unaggressive and cheap by trying to get bargains. 

Say what you want about Mac and "long term strategy" but that ten win 2015 Jets year was the only enjoyable year in a decade. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

the job of the gm is to put together a team that is competitive and a team that wins games -Joe has failed miserably at  his job

the Mims debacle alone should be cause for termination- a high draft pick that cant get on the field  on a team with a dire need for a player with his "skills"-. Drafting Morgan a guy that everybody knew would not play for the Jets with holes all over is another strike for Joe.   Signing Coleman to be our RB1 after he washed out with his last two teams should be strike three and I could go on and on. 

Joe will not be fired this year and Joe will not be fired next year-just accept it as painful as it is 

The Mims pick and how he is being handled is baffling.  Is Mims like Hack?  Is he that incompetant?  Mims has played sparingly and made some nice plays while in there. So No he not in the same vein as Hack which makes this incredibly frustrating.  The Morgan pick was a freebie pickup. Thats what I believe JD felt.  I'm sure he had reservations about Darnold when taking the job day 1 and selected Morgan as a shot in dark player that could hit. If not, no big loss.  But these FA signings of these fringe players, Kahil, Coleman, GVR, McGovern, Lewis, Feeny, Perriman, Fant etc etc etc - its just plain mediocre.  Is it just the better player available have zero interest in coming here? Or is JD just incapable of reeling these better in.  Whatever the case, this aint workin and JD needs to get talent in here quick.

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That, even with the obvious weak-link of McGovern at Center, is a perfectly adequate starting NFL Offensive Line, talent wise.  And half of it, Becton-AVT, was expected to be above average (as two first rounders should be!)

Long way of saying..

This was the same OL as last year starting -except for a rookie guard (AVT has been fine for a rookie) 

Again, that is indisputable, even if you write long emails trying to explain it away.

It has was a terrible OL last year and has proven to be a terrible OL this year so far. 

Yes, Becton been hurt but the OL was disgraceful when he was playing.

Your Argument comes down this...The worst offensive line in football shouldn't be the worst OL in football, therefor the GM isn't to blame.

Sorry, but that doesn't work for me.  

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He's cheap....I think he rubs alot of guys the wrong way in negotiations and they walk

Then that must be the Johnsons doing- don’t you think? I mean Permian, Fant, Feeny, McGovern, Lewis, GVR, Flacco etc etc etc - I mean I know you have to fill a roster but add all those salaries together and it factors into a lot of money that could have been allocated to 3-4 top free agents. He finally spent some money on Lawson and poof he’s lost for the year. 

I never understood what Joe Douglas has done for you guys to earn so much faith.

- His only good decision in 2020 was coin flipping between Becton and Wirfs. I honestly believe the majority of people on this board could have made that decision. Rest of the 2020 draft class seems to leave a lot to be desired. 

- Intentionally or not, he sabotaged Darnold. Before the 2020 season started, everyone who followed football knew it was unfair to judge Sam because he had no talent around. Sam's top 3 weapons in 2020 were Perriman, Crowder, and Mims. In 2021 Mims is a health scratch, Perriman doesn't have a catch, and the team threatened to Cut Crowder for small savings they don't even need.

- It seems like you guys lost more talent then you have gained since he took over. That is troubling when the roster wasn't great when he took over and he had plenty of cap space to fix it. 

Yes he is good at trading, but what good is that, if you can't draft good players. Miami fans regret trading Tunsil because all they got out of it was a bad LT, a Corner who doesn't start, and a WR. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, doitny said:

you got to be realistic too with the FAs.

Thuney wasn't picking us over KC. Lindsey went to the Chargers. another team much better than us. plus the weather helped to. going from freezing GB to LA. 

its not that simple to just throws tons of money at people. sometimes its other things. plus with a salary cap we cant blow anyone away like the Yankees do. 

Becton needs to play better. but he picked the best Guard in the draft. then sign Moses which every one of us wanted. you would think 3 out of 5 is good enough to for now. i honestly think its this zone blocking scheme. if you look at the tape these guys up the middle aren't even being touched.

it might be a coaching thing with this line.

I get that some FA's might not want to come here, but if you don't put up some money to get the ones like Lindsley, then there's no way your going to have a chance at all, and we're stuck with the Feeney's... JD needs to fix that. And I'm not saying do the Macc thing and overpay by a mile, but stop being stingy...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Your Argument comes down this...The worst offensive line in football shouldn't be the worst OL in football, therefor the GM isn't to blame.

Sorry, but that doesn't work for me.  

My argument is that "Becton - AVT - McGovern - GVR - Moses" isn't and shouldn't be the worst OL in football.

2 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

I never understood what Joe Douglas has done for you guys to earn so much faith.

- His only good decision in 2020 was coin flipping between Becton and Wirfs. I honestly believe the majority of people on this board could have made that decision. Rest of the 2020 draft class seems to leave a lot to be desired. 

- Intentionally or not, he sabotaged Darnold. Before the 2020 season started, everyone who followed football knew it was unfair to judge Sam because he had no talent around. Sam's top 3 weapons in 2020 were Perriman, Crowder, and Mims. In 2021 Mims is a health scratch, Perriman doesn't have a catch, and the team threatened to Cut Crowder for small savings they don't even need.

- It seems like you guys lost more talent then you have gained since he took over. That is troubling when the roster wasn't great when he took over and he had plenty of cap space to fix it. 

Yes he is good at trading, but what good is that, if you can't draft good players. Miami fans regret trading Tunsil because all they got out of it was a bad LT, a Corner who doesn't start, and a WR. 

JD cemented his place as worst GM of all time last spring.  He is horrible.

13 hours ago, doitny said:

and why dont we give the 21 draft class more than 3 games before we say JD cant draft.

Right. Because nothing says good drafting like picking Austin Davis. I’m tipsy right now so I’m not gonna blow my high by naming all his draft busts. 

5 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Right. Because nothing says good drafting like picking Austin Davis. I’m tipsy right now so I’m not gonna blow my high by naming all his draft busts. 

Davis is actually one of 3 guys who still have a chance from 2020. he is suppose to come off the IR list in a week or 2.

but i can see no matter what you will never let 2020 go no matter how good 2021 is so dont bother. enjoy your high

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup. This is it. 
Idzik didn’t get a second draft.  JD’s first is actually worse than Idzik’s first (which is hard to believe)

If even a few of these guys (in either draft) show real promise maybe he can/should survive   

Errr ... yes he did?

https://www.nj.com/jets/2017/07/looking_back_at_the_players_drafted_by_ex-jets_gm_1.html

2013 and 2014

I don't understand the "he hasn't drafted well" posts in here, he's drafted excellently. Look at our D and the number of players on it picked in later rounds from just this last draft. 

The higher picks have also been basically very good in limited game time.  

I mean, from the posts here you would have thought he was the one who drafted Calvin Pryor or Vernon Gholston. 

58 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think Q is growing a solid pair though 

Did you see his giggling, smiley tweet yesterday, the one where he is more concerned with being trolled than being a habitual loser?

Some guys make enough money on their rookie deal to be content for life.  We have to stop drafting them.

SAR I

On 9/29/2021 at 10:33 PM, doitny said:

Davis is actually one of 3 guys who still have a chance from 2020. he is suppose to come off the IR list in a week or 2.

but i can see no matter what you will never let 2020 go no matter how good 2021 is so dont bother. enjoy your high

Explain to me how good 2021 is.