7 minutes ago, Drums said:

JD is the most accomplished, respected GM we have hired since I’ve been watching. So yes lets fire him immediately. Then what? Seriously, then what? Hire some new up and coming guy and make him work with a HC that he didn’t hire? We will want to fire both after another year because we need instant gratification. Are we dumb or crazy here? 

In what world is 3 years immediately?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies.  All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasti

Almost no one is beefing at all in the least about us losing games. People are beefing because most of the 'promising' players we have gone out and got or drafted look like garbage. If we we

Stop making sense.  Its not tolerated around here.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not a rosy view.  It's a realistic one.

Were the 49ers a bad team or a developing one in 2017?  Were the Eagles a bad team or a developing team in 1999?  If you gut the team every time things go badly you end up with what we have now. 

The Jets have been trying to satisfy the fans/press by making changes without starting over.  Since 2006 we have had the following:  OC forced on coach (2009) coach forced on GM (2013).  They tried a reset in 2015 that didn't last long then right back at it:  DC forced on coach (2019),  GM took over with coach in place (2019).

If they didn't dick around so much they could have ended up with a good GM in 2013 or a good coach in 2019.  You like how Darnold looks in Carolina?  That could have been us if we didn't try to force Williams on Rhule.  I found the Gregg Williams thing curious since he was pretty much disgraced as far as I am concerned.  

They are bad right now.  There are many, many reasons why they are bad.  They may improve, they may not, but firing everyone now isn't fixing anything.  

The 49ers won 6 games in 17 and was in every single game. You guys gotta stop using that one. It’s not relevant. If the Jets looked like 2017 niners people on here be happy.

Im being honest, are you even watching the games? D1 teams would handle the 21 Jets 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

This is the season to install the new system, make mistakes, find the players that have a future here and those that need to be replaced. Then we have an off-season to make improvements. Right now there a few glaring needs - interior O line, TE. At  other positions we have inexperience or injuries and we need to be patient and let it play out. Let's see how many positions have been solidified by the end of the year and then we hope for another strong off-season (yeah I still think 2021 was a good one). Next year the team should look much more polished and competitive. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The 49ers won 6 games in 17 and was in every single game. You guys gotta stop using that one. It’s not relevant. If the Jets looked like 2017 niners people on here be happy.

Im being honest, are you even watching the games? D1 teams would handle the 21 Jets 

How did they look the first 3 weeks?  In every game? 23-3, 40-10, 33-10, 20-10.  

I watch the games.  They look bad.  This is not unheard of in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Stay the course?  LMFAO!  Like we were told to do with Rex, Sanchez, Geno, Idzik, Mcc, Bowles, Gase, Darnold and now JD?  I won't even go back to Coslet, Walton and before.

Face it, failure is failure no matter how many years you choose to ignore it.  This group has already shown that they were not ready for the NFL.  

• Upvote 3
22 minutes ago, Pac said:

The problem is they look worse than last year despite a much better roster with the exception of the qb.

Last week was as repulsive a performance I can recall seeing the last 35 years.

The product is currently grotesque.

The team had multiple offensive performances that were more grotesque under Sanchez.  You know, the guy I believe you refer to as the Jets best QB since Namath.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

I had to log in to say this is a BS post @#27TheDominator .  "post of the year" @IndianaJet...? Please. 

"Hey keep eating sh*t with a smile",,,..

how about No.

Anyone who says fire Joe, and Rob etc - there's exits signs at the end of the Hall. Go play frisbee with the other kids wearing their shorts backwards.

Anyone who says - hey just stay the course and give 'em a chance - your wife just called and asked what brand of lube you were feeling for tonight's pegging. 

Its not stay the course, it's  time to change course. It's not working... when you get shut out for the majority of 3 games and couldn't score against the Toronto Argonauts, it's a problem. Mike's a problem. The scheme is a problem. The way they're trying to use the WRs is a problem... Some fcking accountability would be nice.

This is ALSO part of being a HC/GM... adjusting and problem solving... going back out there and expecting the team to gradually figure out the same gameplan is what gets your fired and like just another ex-HC for the NY Jets.

5ooilw.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Drums said:

JD is the most accomplished, respected GM we have hired since I’ve been watching. So yes lets fire him immediately. Then what? Seriously, then what? Hire some new up and coming guy and make him work with a HC that he didn’t hire? We will want to fire both after another year because we need instant gratification. Are we dumb or crazy here? 

Add to that the question of the type of candidates we could even attract to this GM/HC merry-go-round in the first place.

• Upvote 2
Just now, munchmemory said:

Stay the course?  LMFAO!  Like we were told to do with Rex, Sanchez, Geno, Idzik, Mcc, Bowles, Gase, Darnold and now JD.  I won't even go back to Coslet, Walton and before.

Face it, failure is failure no matter how many years you choose to ignore it.  This group has already shown that they were not ready for the NFL.  

If they stayed the ******* course with Walt Michaels or Pete Carroll we might be looked at much differently right now.  They have failed for 3 weeks.  

This is a bunch of guys yelling for heads so that in a year's time they can pat themselves in the back for being right if these guys can't get things turned around.  

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Drums said:

So yes lets fire him immediately. Then what? Seriously, then what?

The problem with your argument is "immediately" would have been 2 years ago.

This man is almost 3 years into a 6 year contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

👍

IMO...immediately ending the JD-Saleh Era before the end of the 2022 season isn't the answer.  I understand the frustration and emotions leading towards the direction of next GM-HC up.  But if you don't let them play this thing out...it's only going to get worse in attracting future quality GMs-HCs to take a shot at coming here and turn Jets fortunes around. 

As for players... 

Between the media...knowledgeable and demanding fans...New York area is one of the toughest for athletes to perform in the World.  Many wont sign here, and will look to play their sport in a less scrutinized enviornment.   Right now you have a lot of young players with none  or just one year's experience.  And a few veterans who must lead them out of this media-fans pressure cooker that JetsLand has been for decades.  Are they up to it?  We'll see.  So far...no good.  

How about the rookie HC-OC...are they up to it?  We'll see.  So far...no good.  But it's just three games though.

This is painful...and not very popular...

Again...I'll give JD-Saleh-CS and whatever capable veterans are on this team...up through the 2022 season to answer these questions.  Cause I'm tired of the endless circle jerking whining demands for change that has lead to nowhere.  

Most importantly...remember this...with ownership like the Johnsons...nothing better is guaranteed.   

I can imagine what the proud Cowboys fans must have felt and said at the start of the  Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson ERA...during that 1-15 season.  Lead by Troy Aikman at QB.  Then a few years later it was..."How about Those Cowboys?!?"  Nobody expected that start would lead to another Cowboys mini Dynasty. .  But it happened.  Don't know if it will happen here with this JD-Saleh tandem?  

Probably not.  

Personally...given the Johnson's track record as clueless decision makers...I'll be satisfied with just one more Lombardi Trophy to come out of it....before I part ways from this plane of existence.

JMO  

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they stayed the ******* course with Walt Michaels or Pete Carroll we might be looked at much differently right now.  They have failed for 3 weeks.  

This is a bunch of guys yelling for heads so that in a year's time they can pat themselves in the back for being right if these guys can't get things turned around.  

Look, personally, the only person I would want dumped at this point is JD.  This is year three and the guy has not been stellar to say the least.

I guess my only quibble with your post is that you're making it seem like questioning management, coaches and/or players is somehow ridiculous or coming out of left field.  I say our history with "staying the course"  has just led to more losses, many of them embarrassing.  Bitching about our current situation is just a result of so much ineptitude by management, coaches and players over the decades.

• Upvote 2

There's no other option but staying the course.  No one of significance is getting fired this year.

But I'll be choosing something else to do with my Sunday's than watching this team.  Maybe if they start playing some competitive football they'll get my attention back.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no other option but staying the course.  No one of significance is getting fired this year.

But I'll be choosing something else to do with my Sunday's than watching this team.  Maybe if they start playing some competitive football they'll get my attention back.  

Why wouldn't the firing (demotion if you prefer) of LaFleur, at least, possibly improve our offense?  Right now, he appears lost in the weeds.  Maybe bring in another coach with a different skill set/perspective during the bye week.

the last few expansion teams, texans, jags, panthers, all started out with 4-12 or so records.  two of those teams were shepherded by dom capers.  want to give him a call?  thought not.  give saleh time to straighten things out.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why wouldn't the firing (demotion if you prefer) of LaFleur, at least, possibly improve our offense?  Right now, he appears lost in the weeds.  Maybe bring in another coach with a different skill set/perspective during the bye week.

When I talk about people of significance, I don't typically include the OC in that category.  I get that with a defense-minded HC, the OC matters.  But we've also been complaining about the Jets OC since the 90s.  It just doesn't seem to matter who the OC is.

If we fire him, great.  If not, whatever.  Either he'll get better at his job or the new guy will be a slight improvement.  Yay.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I got my NYK to look forward to for sure😋

• Haha 3
51 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I generally agree he won’t get fired after this season. The hot seat will be very very warm at a 2-15ish type finish. 

I just don’t believe in his vision. It requires like an 80 percent hit rate on picks which has not been happening. You also have to hit on your one year “value”. You can’t let every veteran walk out the building and think there won’t be issues. If this is his rebuild I don’t like the job he’s doing. Switch it up 

Finally a realistic response.  I can agree that if this was the way things were going to play out then I would be very skeptical.  I think cheaping out on the FAs is a sign that he feels we are far away.  You don't want to get locked in. 

There are positions this system can cheap out on.  Smaller faster interior OL.  Long corners.  Speedy OLB tweeners.  They will need pass rushers.  That is why he got Lawson and Curry and went after Rankins on the interior.   

I think they may have some long term guys there with the drafted hybrids and Quincy Williams.  They will have to address things with another G and/or C, but there was reason to expect Van Roten and McGovern would not be this bad.  If they have trouble with CB or LB, they can spend on those positions, or make a splash signing. 

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Anyone who says - hey just stay the course and give 'em a chance - your wife just called and asked what brand of lube you were feeling for tonight's pegging. 

Lol...I'm not stupid enough to have a wife.

But what you and your boyfriend do in your spare time, it's really none of anyone's business.

You be you!

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When I talk about people of significance, I don't typically include the OC in that category.  I get that with a defense-minded HC, the OC matters.  But we've also been complaining about the Jets OC since the 90s.  It just doesn't seem to matter who the OC is.

If we fire him, great.  If not, whatever.  Either he'll get better at his job or the new guy will be a slight improvement.  Yay.  

I know, it's maddening.   All this vitriol from fans like us on JN comes out of losing all the time.  And badly.   Said it the other day, but in the three years JD is GM our record is 9-26.  That's a f*ck of a lot of losses.  It becomes mind numbing and pushing folks to leave of lash out in frustration.

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Look, personally, the only person I would want dumped at this point is JD.  This is year three and the guy has not been stellar to say the least.

I guess my only quibble with your post is that you're making it seem like questioning management, coaches and/or players is somehow ridiculous or coming out of left field.  I say our history with "staying the course"  has just led to more losses, many of them embarrassing.  Bitching about our current situation is just a result of so much ineptitude by management, coaches and players over the decades.

I am fine with the bitching.  I am fine with the thinking up changes.  I just think at this point there is as much likelihood that these guys are doing it right as wrong.  Doesn't take the sting out of losing.  Doesn't mean I want to accept everything they are doing.

The funny thing is that I was one of the least excited about the JD hire.  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Green hat said:

This is the season to install the new system, make mistakes, find the players that have a future here and those that need to be replaced. Then we have an off-season to make improvements. Right now there a few glaring needs - interior O line, TE. At  other positions we have inexperience or injuries and we need to be patient and let it play out. Let's see how many positions have been solidified by the end of the year and then we hope for another strong off-season (yeah I still think 2021 was a good one). Next year the team should look much more polished and competitive. 

Good post - and all 100% correct.

The question I have is - is Joe Douglas the person to take this team to the next step?

Is he the one you want with likely the first overall pick, total of 5 picks in the top 65 and about $100mm in cap space. 

Has he shown enough to trust with that responsibility?

I'm not really sure of the answer to that question, I certainly have my opinion...You may not agree with my opinion but The OP called everyone that thinks JD should go a " bunch of hypocritical pussies."  

I believe it's a legitimate question and one worthy of a real debate.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Finally a realistic response.  I can agree that if this was the way things were going to play out then I would be very skeptical.  I think cheaping out on the FAs is a sign that he feels we are far away.  You don't want to get locked in. 

There are positions this system can cheap out on.  Smaller faster interior OL.  Long corners.  Speedy OLB tweeners.  They will need pass rushers.  That is why he got Lawson and Curry and went after Rankins on the interior.   

I think they may have some long term guys there with the drafted hybrids and Quincy Williams.  They will have to address things with another G and/or C, but there was reason to expect Van Roten and McGovern would not be this bad.  If they have trouble with CB or LB, they can spend on those positions, or make a splash signing. 

Then don't draft a QB#2 overall...

But if you love him so much that you can't pass - then he shouldn't be starting until you think we're closer.

This is the point I'm making - It's not just the players or the vision.  It's a lot of problems with him.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

titanic night GIF

titanic night GIF

How long are we holding onto the guys resume instead of looking at the actual results of 2.5 wasted years from him

Actually, alot of us were not saying that but ok...

Good to vent....

Kevin, you’re such a disease. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

What exactly are you confused about?

Long enough for him to do his job.  He has had 3 games with his coach.  They get 2 seasons minimum.  @Beerfish says 3 seasons and that might be reasonable, but 2 is the least barring some kind of scandal. 

*Morons flying banners is not a scandal IMO

I have no problem with the young coaches learning on the job.   The only issue I have with this team is the franchise changing commitment to a rookie QB and then fielding such a sh*t OL.   You can't have Wilson starting behind BOTH van rotten and McGovern.   That is simply inexcusable, especially with a system guy like Linsley being available in FA.   

My biggest concern is that Wilson gets ruined before he gets started.   He has definitely regressed since the beating he took in week 1. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The issue that continues to repeat itself is misalignment.   Yes it is nice that we finally have a proper reporting structure and the GM was actively involved in the head coach decision.  What sucks once again is that the players we have obtained for the prior regime were based on an evaluation of how they would fit into the prior coach's system.  So we now have a highly drafted mauling left tackle who will be asked to play in a zone blocking scheme.  We have a highly drafted, athletic stretch the field WR who we are now asking to play the role of a technical route runner.  It goes on and on and it just never seems to fit.  The results so far though a small sampling have been bleak no question about it.  All we can do is watch (or not) and hope it gets A LOT better.  For better or worse we need to keep these two in charge and give them a chance.  Either they sink or swim but it must be TOGETHER.     

• Upvote 2