Jump to content

Stay. The. Course.


#27TheDominator
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is the first real tear-down/start from scratch rebuild this team has EVER done.  I've seen them do tear-down/BIG SPEND rebuilds a bunch of times that got crappy GM's a couple extra years or a jump start to their tenure.  But aside from this very instance we've never had the balls to actually do it.  Generally it's the fans completely freaking out and making the GM overreact and spend big money to appease them or just the GM fearing for his job and blowing any chance for the team to build from within or develop talent.  Forget a team that can sustain itself.  Now it all falls on JD to make sure his drafts hit.  End of story.  If he does that right, this works.  Then he fills in with all the cap space and we're a dynasty.  I, personally, am excited to actually see this process through for once instead of shooting itself in the foot as we usually do and perhaps we will finally have a change after decades wasted.  Unfortunately, last year was the tear-down and this year is bare stud walls, so we suck.  Onward to the future, fellows...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Then don't draft a QB#2 overall...

But if you love him so much that you can't pass - then he shouldn't be starting until you think we're closer.

This is the point I'm making - It's not just the players or the vision.  It's a lot of problems with him.

You ALWAYS draft a QB #2 overall.  

You don't save guys  It isn't 1974 where you can keep guys on your roster indefinitely.  He has 5 ******* years to show he is the man.  If he isn't you move on.  That is why they wiped the slate on Darnold.  It's not that he sucked that hard, but that he couldn't prove he didn't before they were going to have to pay him.

I am generally fine with the team first approach, but if they QB is there you take him.  Like they should have in 2017.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

In reality, barring continued putrid results, JD, Saleh and Wilson are linked for 2021, 2022 and 2023.  If they go 2-15 this year then 6-11 in 2022, you better believe it's still going to be JD, Saleh and Wilson again in 2023.

I agree, but if 2022 is not 6-11-ish and the 2021 and 2022 draft picks look bad, I think JD, and Saleh if the next GM does not want him, are gone.  JD has to figure out the player acquisition thing better.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a big supporter of jd. Year 1 strip down the roster and get rid of maccs blunders. He tried to address the areas of weakness. But the facts are that the team is still going backwards in year 3. 

 My expectations weren't crazy like some here.. I was expecting about 4 wins this year. No gase. New coach. We sign davis draft moore draft AVT and somehow We look worse than last year. We are averaging 6 points a game for crying out loud. Perine doesn't play. Mims doesn't play. Becton doesn't play.. Ashton davis doesn't play.. His first draft is an utter disaster. 

If we win 2 games this year why shouldn't he JD be fired? 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

Well said.

 

 

 

 

 

FREE DENZEL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say this.  I am staying stay the course in response to all the lunatics calling for everybody's head right now.  That includes thinking LaFleur is so far over his head that he has to go now.  He might be over his head, but he deserves more of a chance.  They all do.  I am not saying that these guys are so great and I am so sure they are the answer.  Just that we will never know if we don't let them do things their own ******* way.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t get it. Everyone is a rookie at their jobs this year, Lafluer never called plays, takes at least a year or two to know your offensive players and design plays that work for them. Zach and all the other rookies QBs look like rookies no shock there. Saleh is a rookie HC so time management and decisions will be rookie like. JD is still learning his job. Buckle up it will be bad this year and part of next. This year is finding your foundational players that are either rookies or Second year players. Defense is ahead with a bunch of 1st and second year starters it will be very good next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doitny said:

can i ask you this?

you want JD fired by the end of the year right? if that did happened then what does the new GM do? rip it all down again?

he must right? cause everything JD did was garbage right? 

the worst guy at drafting right? so how can we keep any? Mims, Becton, AVT, the Carters all gone. 

is that what you would do? cause im guessing you wouldn't rip this team up like that.

Mims is still here?     FREE DENZEL!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is he the one you want with likely the first overall pick, total of 5 picks in the top 65

I'm very nervous he is going to screw up the 22 draft. We all know its coming. Jetsy

"Potential" picks are glaring us in the face. Im worried already. I think most of scouts havent turned over either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You ALWAYS draft a QB #2 overall.  

You don't save guys  It isn't 1974 where you can keep guys on your roster indefinitely.  He has 5 ******* years to show he is the man.  If he isn't you move on.  That is why they wiped the slate on Darnold.  It's not that he sucked that hard, but that he couldn't prove he didn't before they were going to have to pay him.

I am generally fine with the team first approach, but if they QB is there you take him.  Like they should have in 2017.

Then don't start him!

Destroying QB's simply isn't the proper way to build an NFL franchise.  The Jets have cornered the market on it, but it's not sound business.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m confused by your question.

This team can’t be torn down anymore then it is. It’s clearly the worst roster in the NFL by miles 

but clearly if this is the worst roster by far then how can you keep anybody? 

point is if JD is the worst GM. the worst draft picker  and this whole team are his players, how do you not rip it all down again?

you cant say he is the worst draft picker and then keep all his picks.

but if you dont rip it all down then you wind up keeping alot of this team which means they couldn't be that bad those players. 

get what im saying now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

I don’t get it. Everyone is a rookie at their jobs this year, Lafluer never called plays, takes at least a year or two to know your offensive players and design plays that work for them. Zach and all the other rookies QBs look like rookies no shock there. Saleh is a rookie HC so time management and decisions will be rookie like. JD is still learning his job. Buckle up it will be bad this year and part of next. This year is finding your foundational players that are either rookies or Second year players. Defense is ahead with a bunch of 1st and second year starters it will be very good next year.

Mike LaFleur last called the plays for Davidson College around 10 years ago.  I believe they lost all or almost all of their games. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mike LaFleur last called the plays for Davidson College around 10 years ago.  I believe they lost all or almost all of their games. 

LaFleur is only here because him and his brothers are Salehs ""bros" 

I'm all for hooking up your bros with jobs if, but if they cant actually do the job....not so much. 

Don't worry when Saleh is explaining mid season why the Jets continue to not score points, he may find a new bro. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

If we win 2 games this year why shouldn't he JD be fired? 

Because then you're saddling a new GM with a 2nd year HC he didn't hire.  And around and around we go.

Douglas gets 2022 regardless of how poorly the 2021 Jets perform.  Whatever your thoughts on that we all need to accept it.  We all just need to pray he shakes up the rest of the front office/scouting department as necessary.  Douglas needs to learn whatever lessons he needs to in order to nail the 2022 offseason.  Period.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm very nervous he is going to screw up the 22 draft. We all know its coming. Jetsy

"Potential" picks are glaring us in the face. Im worried already. I think most of scouts havent turned over either. 

So am I.  I still think he deserves the opportunity.

FWIW, I think he brought in his own people but I don't think most of the lower level scouts turnover.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is he the one you want with likely the first overall pick, total of 5 picks in the top 65 and about $100mm in cap space. 

Has he shown enough to trust with that responsibility?

Nope. The only thing he has shown is he's good at trading players for draft picks, and replacing them with lesser players.

 

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not really sure of the answer to that question, I certainly have my opinion...You may not agree with my opinion but The OP called everyone that thinks JD should go a " bunch of hypocritical pussies."  

Watch the myopic Pollyanna flip flop if we continue to put out such a substandard non-competitive product on the field for the rest of the season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because then you're saddling a new GM with a 2nd year HC he didn't hire.  And around and around we go.

Douglas gets 2022 regardless of how poorly the 2021 Jets perform.  Whatever your thoughts on that we all need to accept it.  We all just need to pray he shakes up the rest of the front office/scouting department as necessary.  Douglas needs to learn whatever lessons he needs to in order to nail the 2022 offseason.  Period.

I never said we had to keep Saleh. He can go too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

Fans have no choice but to "Stay. The. Course."  As per contract, the current regime is going to be here for a few years.

The flood of criticism has nothing to go with the Jets going 0-3.  It has everything to do with they way they did it.

There is no sign of sustained success being a possibility.  Zero sign that things are taking shape according to a well thought out and executed vision. 

The roster is horrible.

The new QB is being dropped into a pit.  As an absolute minimum, we should the HC and OC handling the GM's newly drafted QB smartly rather than confidently jamming him into a meat grinder. 

The offense pathetic.  The blocking schemes alone are JV at best. 

The Jets are ranked as # 32 in all the power rankings,

This is not a team/organization that is improving or showing signs of competent management/coaching.

Staying on course is what they will do.  On course to stay in the basement. 

For fans, this is not the time for making excuses and glossing over the facts,  That is what cheerleaders and fanboys do.   Not fans.

The Jets are horrendous.  At the VERY BOTTOM.  

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I generally agree he won’t get fired after this season. The hot seat will be very very warm at a 2-15ish type finish. 
 

I just don’t believe in his vision. It requires like an 80 percent hit rate on picks which has not been happening. You also have to hit on your one year “value” signings. You can’t let every veteran walk out the building and think there won’t be issues. If this is his rebuild I don’t like the job he’s doing. Switch it up 

I think it is an issue more of execution than vision.  When you are a bad team, and have been bad for most of a decade, you are almost forced to rebuild through the draft.  Top FAs, who typically have a lot of options, do not want to come to a perennial loser unless we are willing to massively overpay, which rarely works out (Bell, Johnson, Mosley).  He committed to rebuilding through the draft and added OL & WR in the first two rounds of the last two drafts.  Added a lot of speed to the defense.  The approach seemed sound, but the excecution has been poor.

His draft record is not good -- aside from Bryce Hall, we are getting nothing out of his 2020 draft class.  Some of that due to injury.  His FA class this year is snakebit by injuries (Lawson, J Davis, Curry, Joyner) and the healthy FAs have disppointed (C Davis, Cole, Feeney).  Probably his two best FA singings this season (so far) appear to be Sheldon Rankins and Morgan Moses. 

His attempts to rebuild the OL and WR room have failed miserably to date.  There is no sugarcoating that.  Despite spending two #1s on OL and multiple FA signings; and spending two #2s on WRs and multiple FA signings, these are still weak position groups.  The focus on these positions was right -- execution has been bad and as a result, we have a young QB without a proper supporting cast.  Deja vu.  All over again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The team had multiple offensive performances that were more grotesque under Sanchez.  You know, the guy I believe you refer to as the Jets best QB since Namath.

?  Pennington is best Jets QB since Namath but soon the best Jet QB since Namath could be playing in North Carolina.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Fans have no choice but to "Stay. The. Course."  As per contract, the current regime is going to be here for a few years.

The flood of criticism has nothing to go with the Jets going 0-3.  It has everything to do with they way they did it.

There is no sign of sustained success being a possibility.  Zero sign that things are taking shape according to a well thought out and executed vision. 

The roster is horrible.

The new QB is being dropped into a pit.  As an absolute minimum, we should the the HC and OC handling the GM's newly drafted QB smartly rather than confidently jamming him into a meat grinder. 

The offense pathetic.  The blocking schemes alone are JV at best. 

The Jets are ranked as # 32 in all the power rankings,

This is not a team/organization that is improving or showing signs of competent management/coaching.

Staying on course is what they will do.  On course to stay in the basement. 

For fans, this is not the time for making excuses and glossing over the facts,  That is what cheerleaders and fanboys do.   Not fans.

The Jets are horrendous.  At the VERY BOTTOM.  

I am going to take a different spin on this, focusing on the offense.

From a roster perspective, the plan was to sign hold the fort FAs and build through the draft.  

For the OL plan, JD drafted Becton, Clark and AVT, traded for/signed Lewis, GVR, McGovern, Fant and Feeney.  Despite what anyone says, the top FAs were not signing with the Jets for any reasonable money, and if we keep treating players the way we do, they won't in the future.  So what happened to the plan?  Poor coaching, Becton and Clark showed up unprepared to play football, Lewis melted down (which we knew was a risk), and we did not draft more OL last year.   So, there was an ok plan for the OL, it just backfired.

From a WR perspective, it is similar.  We started the season thinking the Jets had one of the best/deepest WR rooms in the NFL.  Poor scheme and coaching, and some player meltdowns have left us wondering what FA we were going to sign. This can do better as the season progresses.

TE, punted on Herndon for a draft pick.  JAGs filling in until next year.  

RB, I think its coaching and the scheme, although Perine was likely a wasted pick.   A decent draft pick next year makes a big difference for a 4 year pump and dump there.

QB, what veteran were we signing?  ZW should twist an ankle, and we should let JJ play for awhile. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In reference to the OP, I think most of this board had reasonable expectations for this team.

- sub .500 record

- gradual and incremental progress from our young roster and coaching staff.

But we also expected to at least compete. 

We were just thrashed in back to back weeks against two teams who probably won’t making the playoffs, and the first half of game 1 we looked equally as awful. Do the math, 1 good quarter and 1 meh quarter of football through 12.

Our offense looks all world HISTORICALLY BAD. The rules are designed to be able to move move the ball and score points. We can do neither.

Our team looks ill prepared, unmotivated, and completely lost. 

Is there still hope for this roster, coaching staff, and front office? Sure. It’s still early. But there literally has been nothing shown to provide hope. Meanwhile, the QB that we gave up on is looking like a potential pro bowler, throwing to a receiver who we developed then nickel and dime on a 3-0 team coached by the guy we should have hired.

Just when you think things couldn’t get more “Jets”….this team says hold my f*ckin beer.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not mad that they’re losing or losing badly.

Pre-draft I thought it was obvious that playing a rookie QB on this offense with a new, first time OC would be irresponsible.

Three games into the season, it looks like playing a rookie QB on this offense with a new, first time OC has been irresponsible.

The QB merry go round is exhausting and at this point it just seems like negligence followed by negligence. Hopefully there are no lasting impacts but this situation was just so obviously bad from a mile away and it’d be nice to not worry about another young QB getting broken by playing in a terrible situation.

If they decided to let Mullens or Beathard get beat up for a year I would’ve been fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I agree with the premise of the post and that barring any type of unmitigated disaster these guys will all be here through 2022, I have no faith that his plan is actually going to work. He needs to find a way to execute this plan without ruining the QB you drafted and handed the franchise to.

Which is why this is the most boring team in the league to be a fan of

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...