Stay. The. Course.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am going to take a different spin on this, focusing on the offense.

From a roster perspective, the plan was to sign hold the fort FAs and build through the draft.  

For the OL plan, JD drafted Becton, Clark and AVT, traded for/signed Lewis, GVR, McGovern, Fant and Feeney.  Despite what anyone says, the top FAs were not signing with the Jets for any reasonable money, and if we keep treating players the way we do, they won't in the future.  So what happened to the plan?  Poor coaching, Becton and Clark showed up unprepared to play football, Lewis melted down (which we knew was a risk), and we did not draft more OL last year.   So, there was an ok plan for the OL, it just backfired.

From a WR perspective, it is similar.  We started the season thinking the Jets had one of the best/deepest WR rooms in the NFL.  Poor scheme and coaching, and some player meltdowns have left us wondering what FA we were going to sign. This can do better as the season progresses.

TE, punted on Herndon for a draft pick.  JAGs filling in until next year.  

RB, I think its coaching and the scheme, although Perine was likely a wasted pick.   A decent draft pick next year makes a big difference for a 4 year pump and dump there.

QB, what veteran were we signing?  ZW should twist an ankle, and we should let JJ play for awhile. 

This is taking an *empty* glass and saying the glass is half full.  

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

The problem with your argument is "immediately" would have been 2 years ago.

This man is almost 3 years into a 6 year contract. 

And the first year with his HC. If all you take away is my use of “immediately” then my point went over your head. Goes for the other people that quoted me too. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I love how this fanbase is "impatient".   Where the f*ck have you been?

I've been right here. My entire life as a Jets fan. It is short-sighted to demand results out of the current coaching regime 3 weeks into the season. 

It was foolish to have any actual expectations on this season even if if the only expectation you had was watchable football. You are a Jets fan you should have known better.

I'd like  to enjoy the Jets actually play the sport of football but I haven't  seen that happen in quite some years. In the meantime I'm going to laugh at the tragic comedy in front of me rather than get bent out of shape. I spent my 20s getting  bent out of shape about the Jets sucking I'll spend my 30s  laughing at our ineptitude unless we miraculously decide to get out of our own way.

Lopping off heads every 3 years has not worked  so far .... soooo I'm gonna wait patiently with this regime and if it doesn't  work out, it doesn't  work out.

• Upvote 3

—> There is a difference between losing while looking respectful. And losing while looking like a very poorly coached teams

—> There is a difference between losing because the talent on the team is not good enough. And losing because players don’t know what gap assignments are there’s.

—> There is a difference between losing because the other team has a talented roster and great players. And losing because you can’t put a single TD on the scoreboard and are plaqued with penalties.

Time does not heal bad coaching.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I've been right here. My entire life as a Jets fan. It is short-sighted to demand results out of the current coaching regime 3 weeks into the season. 

It was foolish to have any actual expectations on this season even if if the only expectation you had was watchable football. You are a Jets fan you should have known better.

That's setting the bar low after JD had 3 years on the job.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

It was foolish to have any actual expectations on this season

This is the problem right here. Why should Jets fans be the only fan base not expecting to watch good football? How long must we set our bar that low? Why do we make excuses for guys making millions of dollars who put a garbage product on the field? 

No one said SB or even playoffs but my goodness, they are a complete embarrassment at the moment. The Front office, the coaches, this is their full time jobs. How they went into this season this void of talent and answers is baffling. You can't put this product on the field. It's inexcusable. 

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Drums said:

And the first year with his HC. If all you take away is my use of “immediately” then my point went over your head. Goes for the other people that quoted me too. 

I get what you meant. 

It still doesnt change the fact that this man has his team on the field, and it sucks. A lot. 

3 years in. You're supposed to see SOME progress, even if it's only his first year with his coach. Incremental. 

There is none of that. The team looks objectively worse in every single aspect of the game. That's on JD. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I'd like  to enjoy the Jets actually play the sport of football but I haven't  seen that happen in quite some years. In the meantime I'm going to laugh at the tragic comedy in front of me rather than get bent out of shape. I spent my 20s getting  bent out of shape about the Jets sucking I'll spend my 30s  laughing at our ineptitude unless we miraculously decide to get out of our own way.

Lopping off heads every 3 years has not worked  so far .... soooo I'm gonna wait patiently with this regime and if it doesn't  work out, it doesn't  work out.

Sadly for me, my 30s were 26 years ago.   For many of us older Jet fans, waiting for a semblance of consistency and success has worn threadbare.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Drums said:

Thats the part you took from that?

Well, doesn't it start with that?

I mean if the crux of your argument is that he would be fired too soon, and that you believe three years is immediate - makes just about everything else, IMO, faulty.

I certainly won't argue with your interpretation of immediate, that's your view.  But if you believe it's three years then you and are viewing it completely differently and probably not worth debating. 

I just wanted to make sure I understood your position before commenting on the rest.

• Upvote 1

You ALWAYS draft a QB #2 overall.  
You don't save guys  It isn't 1974 where you can keep guys on your roster indefinitely.  He has 5 ******* years to show he is the man.  If he isn't you move on.  That is why they wiped the slate on Darnold.  It's not that he sucked that hard, but that he couldn't prove he didn't before they were going to have to pay him.
I am generally fine with the team first approach, but if they QB is there you take him.  Like they should have in 2017.

Then you’ll be ok with us taking one again next year?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You ALWAYS draft a QB #2 overall.  

You don't save guys  It isn't 1974 where you can keep guys on your roster indefinitely.  He has 5 ******* years to show he is the man.  If he isn't you move on.  That is why they wiped the slate on Darnold.  It's not that he sucked that hard, but that he couldn't prove he didn't before they were going to have to pay him.

I am generally fine with the team first approach, but if they QB is there you take him.  Like they should have in 2017.

This has gotten a lot of people fired and is nearly always the wrong decision.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

This has gotten a lot of people fired and is nearly always the wrong decision.

It's true that #2 is kind of the  worst spot to be and you end up with leftovers.  I was talking in the sense that when you don't have a QB, you go and get one.  When you pick #2 overall you probably don't have one.

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sadly for me, my 30s were 26 years ago.   For many of us older Jet fans, waiting for a semblance of consistency and success has worn threadbare.

I hear you ... I inherited this team from my uncles... they are in the same boat as you and none of us are getting any younger the thing is getting overtly pissed about is just screaming into the void.

Scrapping  the GM every three years isn't going to lead to success. I think the tempered approach is hoping  he learns from his mistakes and/or gets lucky. However we all need to at some point realize we may never be a good team and just enjoy Sundays win lose or draw. I'm trying to enjoy the slapstick comedy of Jets football  until it evolves into something else. If it evolves into something else.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's true that #2 is kind of the  worst spot to be and you end up with leftovers.  I was talking in the sense that when you don't have a QB, you go and get one.  When you pick #2 overall you probably don't have one.

I think that’s conventional wisdom but situation dictates a lot about QB development and if you’re drafting at #2 your team is probably too bad to support a young QB. The recent track record of QB’s drafted in the top five or so absolutely bears that out. 

Utilizing a premium asset like the #2 on a quarterback has tended to just result in teams ruining the QB and burning the asset in the process.

I’d get the rationale if the more successful guys were drafted earlier but that hasn’t been the case. If I took the QB’s drafted in the top five the last 10 years or so versus the other first round QB’s and split them into two groups, you’d have a better chance of finding a good QB in the non top five group than the top five group. It’s either the importance of the situation the guy goes into or teams sucking at evaluating quarterbacks and to be honest it’s probably a little of both.

That also accounts for QB’s drafted #1 so it’s not even the leftovers component of it at #2. Top of the draft QB selections have been ugly for the team making the pick.

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Darnold has looked good so far this year, wouldn't you agree? He was saddled with piss poor coaches here, at least in my opinion. Would he have been better than Zach this year with the Jets. Yes, but he is not as talented.

Saleh has had 3 games and we are already to throw in the towel? JD has had 2 off seasons. Failure is not the opposite of success, it is part of it. It is the ingredient you learn from. 

You're assuming JD has the mental tools to learn from his failures.  I don't think he's equipped.    Can't comment yet on Saleh or Zack.  But the early results are not great.

So we should have spent $72 million on Trumaine Johnson and guaranteed that 10 win season to make y'all happy, who cares if we then tank for the next 3 after that?  It's all about instant gratification!  We'll never get out of this rebuild because we've never actually done it.  Last year, tear down.  This year, bare studs.  Next year, many draft picks and tons of caps space.  Now, JD has to hit on his picks and Saleh has to show growth, along with all the coaches, but I believe in them a hell of a lot more than 90% of you idiots.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Fans have no choice but to "Stay. The. Course."  As per contract, the current regime is going to be here for a few years.

The flood of criticism has nothing to go with the Jets going 0-3.  It has everything to do with they way they did it.

There is no sign of sustained success being a possibility.  Zero sign that things are taking shape according to a well thought out and executed vision. 

The roster is horrible.

The new QB is being dropped into a pit.  As an absolute minimum, we should the HC and OC handling the GM's newly drafted QB smartly rather than confidently jamming him into a meat grinder. 

The offense pathetic.  The blocking schemes alone are JV at best. 

The Jets are ranked as # 32 in all the power rankings,

This is not a team/organization that is improving or showing signs of competent management/coaching.

Staying on course is what they will do.  On course to stay in the basement. 

For fans, this is not the time for making excuses and glossing over the facts,  That is what cheerleaders and fanboys do.   Not fans.

The Jets are horrendous.  At the VERY BOTTOM.  

Great post. This is unfortunately completely accurate. 

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Darnold has looked good so far this year, wouldn't you agree? He was saddled with piss poor coaches here, at least in my opinion. Would he have been better than Zach this year with the Jets. Yes, but he is not as talented.

Saleh has had 3 games and we are already to throw in the towel? JD has had 2 off seasons. Failure is not the opposite of success, it is part of it. It is the ingredient you learn from. 

Jets would still be 0-3 with Darnold...and Darnold would still look like sh*t.

I think it's clear about two things...

1) When you suck as bad as the Jets do - there is no way to judge if your QB is good or not.  Sam succeeding as soon as he left is a clear indicator of that.

2) Judging Zach in these first three weeks is a useless endeavor.   The only people judging him right now were the anti-zaxers that were going to find a way to sh*t on the kid regardless of what he did.  He'll be winning Super Bowls and they'll still be calling him a sh*tty small school prospect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

I agree that the Jets need to stay the course.  They are stuck with Douglas and Saleh for better or worse.

The rest of the post is nonsense.

Joe Douglas has had two drafts with multiple premium picks and two free agency periods with loads of cap space.  He hand picked his Head Coach.  He hand picked his quarterback at #2 overall.  The offensive line has been almost completely revamped including two hand picked first round picks.  The WR corp has been completely revamped including two hand picked second round picks.  The roster has been almost completely turned over on both sides of the ball in 2 years.

Many fans were rightfully expecting a competitive team, not the worst team in the league which has been completely outclassed in 11 of 12 quarters thus far.

Having a young roster is not an excuse.  Should the fans expect growing pains?  Absolutely.  Should the Jets look like they do not belong in the league?  With the amount of time and resources that Douglas has had to build up the roster and coaching staff with his vision, absolutely not.

He hand picked his head coach?  Sure.  How many games ago was that? 

I don't have any problem with complaining.  Being irate about the product on the field.  I don't even have much problem with the posts feeling that these guys are not the answer.  But there are 3 or so threads about firing the GM.  He has had 2 drafts.  He obviously tailored this draft for Saleh.  Last year's looks pretty bad.  

I expected the team to look very bad to start off.  I expected a ton of blown assignments.  I fully believe that if you swapped game 1 and game 3 that I would be on the other side of this argument trying to temper people's playoff expectations.  I have seen guys pressing and blowing assignments.  That is the kind of thing that time will weed out.  If Wilson is okay, I think we will all see a much different team over the second half.  The mistakes have been simple and I think teams know how to bait them.  They should learn as they work together and a few big plays will go a long way to stopping teams from baiting them.  They played a couple of teams with the kind of defensive coach I would expect to own them.  How they do against Atlanta will go a long way towards determining how I feel about them. 

Fully agree that if things keep going like this it is horrible and unacceptable.  I do not agree that this is some kind of unprecedented horror show, or that it cannot be turned around.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I never said we had to keep Saleh. He can go too.

After 1 season?  C'mon.  He's not Steve Wilks.  

What quality GM/HC combo with options is going to come to this dumpster fire of an org, especially after having fired Saleh 1 season in, despite being saddled with a garbage roster?

3 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I was a big supporter of jd. Year 1 strip down the roster and get rid of maccs blunders. He tried to address the areas of weakness. But the facts are that the team is still going backwards in year 3. 

My expectations weren't crazy like some here.. I was expecting about 4 wins this year. No gase. New coach. We sign davis draft moore draft AVT and somehow We look worse than last year. We are averaging 6 points a game for crying out loud. Perine doesn't play. Mims doesn't play. Becton doesn't play.. Ashton davis doesn't play.. His first draft is an utter disaster. 

If we win 2 games this year why shouldn't he JD be fired? 

And then what?

26 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is the problem right here. Why should Jets fans be the only fan base not expecting to watch good football? How long must we set our bar that low? Why do we make excuses for guys making millions of dollars who put a garbage product on the field? 

No one said SB or even playoffs but my goodness, they are a complete embarrassment at the moment. The Front office, the coaches, this is their full time jobs. How they went into this season this void of talent and answers is baffling. You can't put this product on the field. It's inexcusable. 

So rather than let this Coaching Staff attempt to find its footing fire everyone and start over .... I'm sure things will get better.... it's worked out so well for us every time we've done it.

The Jets are not the only team struggling with a down trodden fanbase staring into the abyss... The Falcons, Houston,  the Lions, The list goes on of teams in limbo... 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's setting the bar low after JD had 3 years on the job.

The Gase experiment ate into that 3 years. The honeymoon  with JD should be long over and he is due a huge amount of criticism  for this O line but we're not firing him any time soon. If he does get fired it will be 2-3 years down the road with Saleh and company and if the current  results continue it will be well warranted. 

• Upvote 1