Stay. The. Course.

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

He is definitely not perfect so he may not be the guy but he needs to be the guy. He just hired a HC and I don’t want to go through that crap again (how many times now?). He won’t get fired this year. I think it’s fair to see what the team can do over the course of the season. The team has talent but like Sperm said, it’s just a lot of new at once. So far it’s feeing EXACTLY like last year but let’s see what happens this season. 

I agree that he's not going anywhere.   And he's going to have this off-season.  We're stuck with him.  I really just hope I'm wrong about him and he nails the 5 picks in the top 65.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

agreed completely. I just disagree about pulling the plug just yet, as if someone else is out there, or the idea in general would fix anything. We keep doing it. Doesn’t  matter who gets hired, it’s the same issues every damn time. So yeah, stay the course. 

I'm not saying theres neccesarily a better option out there. But I do think we need to keep pulling the plug until we get it right and notice obvious improvement somewhat right away. 

It's not obvious right now, look at Buffalo, Brandon Beane put a playoff team together in 2 drafts. 2. Each season they looked a little better, then a little better, took a very small step back, then BOOM, contenders. That's the kind of GM you stick it out with. 

Year 1 (Good), Year 2 (Better), Year 3 (Small step back), Year 4 (Much better), Year 5 (Extremely good). 

Now JD...

Year 1 (Wash because of when he was hired, but terrible), Year 2 (More terrible), Year 3 (Even more terrible). 

You dont wait and see for that, its literally going the opposite direction. Its HIGHLY likely from the sample size hes given us that years 4-6 are all equally terrible or worse and then you just prolonged your agony. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The only thing I have a serious issue with Douglas is the whiffs on the Veteran IOL.  If he hits on those acquisitions, this current situation looks entirely different.

I personally don’t think his drafting is nearly as bad as others.  So far he has some (apparent) misses that hurt in guys like Mims and Zuniga but also has some apparent steals in guys like Hall and MC2.  Lots of other guys who I would are average at worst for their draft position.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The only thing I have a serious issue with Douglas is the whiffs on the Veteran IOL.  If he hits on those acquisitions, this current situation looks entirely different.

I personally don’t think his drafting is nearly as bad as others.  So far he has some (apparent) misses that hurt in guys like Mims and Zuniga but also has some apparent steals in guys like Hall and MC2.  Lots of other guys who I would are average at worst for their draft position.

This draft seems promising.  Last year’s draft is obviously hurting, but maybe we’ll see mims play this week.  I do think the coaching staff had a hand in picking this year, which is why we’re not seeing mims and Perine in particular.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

Well said. 

This year will suck and I was too optimistic for a quick turnaround during the offseason.

Why does everyone keep saying Joe's had 3 years?

He was hired after the draft and free agency.  The first season was spent observing since there was very little he could do at that time.  

He then decided the team had no future and gutted it in his first offseason as GM.

This is now his second offseason where he is attempting to rebuild an entire team.  

So "his" team is 19 games into his tenure and year 1 into the rebuild. 

• Upvote 3

You're assuming JD has the mental tools to learn from his failures.  I don't think he's equipped.    Can't comment yet on Saleh or Zack.  But the early results are not great.

I think he has been fine as a GM, he was a highly regarded executive who was instrumental in developing the roster in Baltimore, Chicago and Philadelphia. The Jets are in the 2nd year of rebuild under JD, and look like a team that have 8 rookies playing significant minutes.

Right now JD is the whipping boy of the fans and media. Not because he deserves it, but because they need to blame someone. They want to blow it up, and continue the revolving door in the FO while questioning why the Jets suck.
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I think he has been fine as a GM, he was a highly regarded executive who was instrumental in developing the roster in Baltimore, Chicago and Philadelphia. The Jets are in the 2nd year of rebuild under JD, and look like a team that have 8 rookies playing significant minutes.

Right now JD is the whipping boy of the fans and media. Not because he deserves it, but because they need to blame someone. They want to blow it up, and continue the revolving door in the FO while questioning why the Jets suck.

JD is 9-25 and whiffed on Zach.  The results speak for themselves at some point 

12 hours ago, Claymation said:

I agree with this. I like JD and think he is making progress and I have confidence in him.

Never expected smooth sailing. Got too optimistic and wham, was brought back to reality with a jolt.

I think this year is much different that last. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Why does everyone keep saying Joe's had 3 years?

He was hired after the draft and free agency.  The first season was spent observing since there was very little he could do at that time.  

He then decided the team had no future and gutted it in his first offseason as GM.

This is now his second offseason where he is attempting to rebuild an entire team.  

So "his" team is 19 games into his tenure and year 1 into the rebuild. 

I think you're being generous in saying his entire first year was just about learning, but for arguments sake let's assume that's accurate.

Here are the problems.

1) His first draft is a disaster.  in 7 rounds of draft picks only one (a 6th rounder) was even active on the roster.  That's very bad.

2) He drafted a rookie QB - yet kept 4/5th of the worst OL in football to protect him.  He needs to better understand the league and know the worst OL in football can NOT help you develop or judge a young QB.  That's very bad.

3) He hasn't hit on a single FA.  Not one that he's signed has performed at, pretty much, any level.  That's very bad.

Again, let's say - Year 1 was learning, year 2 was tear down, year 3 began the rebuild... The problem is, the things he has done throughout that process have been awful at best.

The question I ask, with such an important off-season coming up..with so many draft and cap resources....Has he done enough to be trusted with that undertaking?

Of course, my answer is no.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Origen said:

This is the first real tear-down/start from scratch rebuild this team has EVER done.  I've seen them do tear-down/BIG SPEND rebuilds a bunch of times that got crappy GM's a couple extra years or a jump start to their tenure.  But aside from this very instance we've never had the balls to actually do it.  Generally it's the fans completely freaking out and making the GM overreact and spend big money to appease them or just the GM fearing for his job and blowing any chance for the team to build from within or develop talent.  Forget a team that can sustain itself.  Now it all falls on JD to make sure his drafts hit.  End of story.  If he does that right, this works.  Then he fills in with all the cap space and we're a dynasty.  I, personally, am excited to actually see this process through for once instead of shooting itself in the foot as we usually do and perhaps we will finally have a change after decades wasted.  Unfortunately, last year was the tear-down and this year is bare stud walls, so we suck.  Onward to the future, fellows...

We’ve been getting progressively worse the last 3 years, coming off of Macc years. We didn’t think that was possible. The future doesn’t seem bright either. 

14 hours ago, Claymation said:

LOL.

The rookies aren't playing well. If they were you wouldnt be losing games in this fashion. We are 0-3 and a BAD 0-3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you're being generous in saying his entire first year was just about learning, but for arguments sake let's assume that's accurate.

Here are the problems.

1) His first draft is a disaster.  in 7 rounds of draft picks only one (a 6th rounder) was even active on the roster.  That's very bad.

2) He drafted a rookie QB - yet kept 4/5th of the worst OL in football to protect him.  He needs to better understand the league and know the worst OL in football can NOT help you develop or judge a young QB.  That's very bad.

3) He hasn't hit on a single FA.  Not one that he's signed has performed at, pretty much, any level.  That's very bad.

Again, let's say - Year 1 was learning, year 2 was tear down, year 3 began the rebuild... The problem is, the things he has done throughout that process have been awful at best.

The question I ask, with such an important off-season coming up..with so many draft and cap resources....Has he done enough to be trusted with that undertaking?

Of course, my answer is no.

I wish he was more aggressive with the free agent linemen, but besides that his grade is incomplete.

His first draft had limited scouting and meetings so he took the high Sparq players.  The team lacked athletes so it made sense.

Injuries aren’t his fault and that’s the main reason people are down on his first draft.  

It’s a witch hunt on a guy that’s had 1 season to put his long term vision in place.   

No wonder this team has sucked forever.  The fans cry for tear downs then cry when it isn’t rebuilt in a day.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

I think we are winning on Sunday but JD still messed up

We are not winning Sunday. Titans will get a small lead and then Derrick Henry us to death. Zach will throw a couple few pics trying to catch up, providing he doesn’t just start out with one or two. Connor McGovern will successfully block in his gap while the defender 4-6 inches away from him runs free at Zach. Our receivers will  bunch together like sticky rice in sushi and if Zach manages to get the ball to them they will drop a few to kill any momentum. Mims will be inactive and the couching staff will consider it another step towards the team buying in. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We are not winning Sunday. Titans will get a small lead and then Derrick Henry us to death. Zach will throw a couple few pics trying to catch up, providing he doesn’t just start out with one or two. Connor McGovern will successfully block in his gap while the defender 4-6 inches away from him runs free at Zach. Our receivers will  bunch together like sticky rice in sushi and if Zach manages to get the ball to them they will drop a few to kill any momentum. Mims will be inactive and the couching staff will consider it another step towards the team buying in. 

Such a negative guy

7 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Such a negative guy

All I did was recap the last three games. Did you see something last week that made you think we are ready to start winning? Please share it with me. Not that he has done much  but Elijah Moore being out doesn’t make this team better unless the guy replacing him does something. We both know Mims isn’t going to be activated so either some dude named Smith or some guy that uses his first two initials will replace him. Are you telling me that’s going to make us better next week? Be cool, but highly unlikely. Not to mention Maye and his camp just made a business decision and it’s unlikely we see him play as a Jet again, 

JD is neither as good or as bad as many in this post suggest. You can’t really argue that the last two years have produced some of the most unwatchable football ever seen, and a lot of that is on him. But, in typical jets fashion, JDs tenure started out in the most asinine way possible. He basically had very little time/control in 2019 to produce a good product, and it has to be hard drafting for 2020 when he knew as well as any of us that Gase was never going to be around long. I think Selah and JD deserve 3 years together, especially with this young roster, with the caveat that if there’s no noticeable improvement in the second year, you reassess.

Either way, for now we just have to suffer through this. If the Browns and Raiders can turn it around, so can the Jets

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I wish he was more aggressive with the free agent linemen, but besides that his grade is incomplete.

His first draft had limited scouting and meetings so he took the high Sparq players.  The team lacked athletes so it made sense.

Injuries aren’t his fault and that’s the main reason people are down on his first draft.  

It’s a witch hunt on a guy that’s had 1 season to put his long term vision in place.   

No wonder this team has sucked forever.  The fans cry for tear downs then cry when it isn’t rebuilt in a day.

Nah, 

Lawson was a severe risk, one he took and lost. Becton was always going to be an injury risk with his size and long thin legs.  He made choices and was wrong.

Please don't blame Covid.  Other teams had Covid and chose properly.

Lastly, I have no problem if you're going to tear things down (in fact I was for it) but two things.

1) You better draft well (which he hasn't)

2) You DON'T bring a rookie QB into this circumstance.  It's either neglect, incompetence or ignorance - either of which is a very bad sign.  A man that just went through this with Darnold should surely know that.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah, 

Lawson was a severe risk, one he took and lost. Becton was always going to be an injury risk with his size and long thin legs.  He made choices and was wrong.

Please don't blame Covid.  Other teams had Covid and chose properly.

Lastly, I have no problem if you're going to tear things down (in fact I was for it) but two things.

1) You better draft well (which he hasn't)

2) You DON'T bring a rookie QB into this circumstance.  It's either neglect, incompetence or ignorance - either of which is a very bad sign.  A man that just went through this with Darnold should surely know that.

Except we still have no idea if he drafted well or not.  

All we know is most of his draft picks weren't instant stars.  

23 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

JD is 9-25 and whiffed on Zach.  The results speak for themselves at some point 

JD gets banged for 2-17. This is what happens during a gut renovation. Give me the moves that he was supposed to make AFTER Mike Maccagnan was in charge of free agency and the draft in 2019. What moves would have added wins?

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

JD gets banged for 2-17. This is what happens during a gut renovation. Give me the moves that he was supposed to make AFTER Mike Maccagnan was in charge of free agency and the draft in 2019. What moves would have added wins?

Same song and dance we got from the Macagnan lovers

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Conklin

Robby

Hopkins

Wirfs

Claypool

Thuney

Linsley

He doesn't have to get all of them but to act like there weren't moves to be made that could have added wins it utter delusion. The hoops people will jump through to defend a guy who's done absolutely nothing for the Jets in over two years is astounding.