Maye Out 3-4 Weeks

HawkeyeJet

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Douglas‘ approach is inconsistent with the Johnson’s approach. The Johnson’s understand that they have to overpay for lesser talented people just to get them to want to come here.  

As Joe Douglas has first-hand experience in this area, you think he would’ve learned. 

SAR I

Seems like a Johnson problem. Maybe they should figure out why this is.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think there is any question that Maye and Crowder are avoiding playing for this team.  Some of the other players injured, I don’t think so.  

franchising your safety is just sleezy. 

Something wierd is definitely happening with crowder

i think the off-season in which JD signed and drafted 77 different slot receivers rubbed him the wrong way

JD plays the cheap and value guy, but paying Maye $10mm for a year to olay safety is like paying Kalil $9 to play center.  Sort of.  

If he wants leaders in the locker room and to build a team for the future, holding your 28 year old safety hostage on a 1 year tag makes no sense.  If he could not agree to an extension, he should have been released or tagged and traded to someone who would sign him.  He will do everything in his power not to play for this team so he can get 2 years guaranteed next year.  

Trading Adams and Williams I agree with.  This one I don’t.  Saleh got a lot of mileage by supposedly being someone on the players’ side.  JD should be trading guys like Crowder and Maye, saving the cap space and maybe finding a guard.  I would rather have a temporary OL than S. 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD plays the cheap and value guy, but paying Maye $10mm for a year to olay safety is like paying Kalil $9 to play center.  Sort of.  

If he wants leaders in the locker room and to build a team for the future, holding your 28 year old safety hostage on a 1 year tag makes no sense.  If he could not agree to an extension, he should have been released or tagged and traded to someone who would sign him.  He will do everything in his power not to play for this team so he can get 2 years guaranteed next year.  

Trading Adams and Williams I agree with.  This one I don’t.  Saleh got a lot of mileage by supposedly being someone on the players’ side.  JD should be trading guys like Crowder and Maye, saving the cap space and maybe finding a guard.  I would rather have a temporary OL than S. 

The Jets weren't 0-3 before the season started. He kept Maye and Crowder because they were good players, on team friendly deals and because there was ZERO rush to trade them in the off-season when other teams are healthy.

You sign them to team friendly deals (Yes, the franchise tag is team friendly) and then IF the team sucks you trade them to an injury riddle team at the deadline. 

No idea why you would think just releasing him before the season is a good idea. It's a horrible idea to just release players that have value. 

The franchise-tagged safety will need to miss the next few weeks due to an ankle injury. But will he even be a Jet for much longer?

Marcus Maye was already potentially in his final season as a Jet.

The fifth-year safety wished for a long-term deal after the team franchise tagged him back in March. Both sides had until July 15 at 4:00 p.m. ET to come to fruition on a new contract.

However, that date came and went without any sort of agreement between Maye and general manager Joe Douglas. Maye was thus set to play out the 2021 campaign on the one-year, $10.612 million tag, which he’s currently doing.

His season has begun relatively strong despite the Jets’ rough 0-3 start, but on Wednesday, it came to a halt. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Maye would be missing 3-4 weeks due to an ankle injury, which could cause him to sit out each of the next three games.

No, it’s not a long-term injury, or at least it’s not expected to be. But it could become an issue that ends all speculation that he’s on his way out of Florham Park, and instead, confirms it.

The injury could diminish his value

Joe Douglas understands positional value.

He was more willing to trade Jamal Adams, a box safety, to Seattle than sign him to a $70 million contract, which is what the Seahawks eventually did.

And Douglas was right for doing so — the Jets were in the midst of a rebuild and he couldn’t be spending too much money in one area.

So if Douglas decided to ship Adams off and not throw a significant chunk of change his way, did you think he was going to open the wallet for Maye? Especially considering the Jets are undergoing a larger restart than they were when they traded Jamal?

If Douglas is eventually going to pay Maye, he probably needs to see a tremendous 2021 campaign out of him. And right now, it’s unclear if Maye can really construct that type of performance given he’ll be missing multiple games.

One of the arguments for paying Maye was that, in recent years, he was capable of providing the No. 1 ability of any NFL player: availability. Maye played in all 16 regular-season games in both 2019 and 2020.

But since he may miss three games (maybe more, maybe fewer), that cannot be said anymore of the 28-year-old safety.

His age was already a factor and so was Douglas’ way of doing business. Now, the health concerns might play a role as well, which could make it that much harder for Maye to land a new deal after 2021.

A potential trade?

Maye wasn’t exactly thrilled a long-term deal wasn’t finalized, and thanks to a cryptic tweet from his agent, there’s belief he could be out of Florham Park before season’s end.

The trade deadline lands on Tuesday, Nov. 2 at 4:00 p.m. ET. If Maye does return within four weeks from Wednesday, which is Oct. 27, the Jets could strike a deal with someone should Marcus wish to depart.

Maye isn’t as talented as Adams, so don’t expect the type of return the Jets received from the 2020 Jamal deal, or really even close to it. But given Douglas’ track record, I could see the Jets acquiring some sort of package that includes a 2022 second-round draft pick.

If anything, they could at least get a third-rounder, which may be a more realistic return given Maye’s current salary and increasing age.

Don’t forget, Maye will be 29 years old next March. So for any possible trade partner, there might not be a ton of upside signing him to a three- or four-year deal that doesn’t run out until he’s 32 or 33. This is why the third-round pick return may be more appropriate.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JiFapono said:

For sure.  Trade him for a pick, just adding assets for the future.  He's walking next season either way.  We suck plenty fine with or without Marcus Maye.  This changes nothing, he's been unhappy with the Jets FO for a while now.  He talks to Jamal Adams every day.  lol

Tampa will pay for him, their secondary is banged up and toddy bowles loveessssss him some marcus maye. 

Not sure what the jets would get in a trade, probably a 4th, he way playing really wlel prior to the injury so maybe you make the case for more.  Id love to grab a TE in the deal from them since they have a bunch. 

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Tampa will pay for him, their secondary is banged up and toddy bowles loveessssss him some marcus maye. 

Not sure what the jets would get in a trade, probably a 4th, he way playing really wlel prior to the injury so maybe you make the case for more.  Id love to grab a TE in the deal from them since they have a bunch. 

Yes trade him to TB for TE O.J Howard and a 4th round pick. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, I've eaten very well in London. Only an idiot would spend their whole time eating fish and chips and Shepherd's Pie.

What I meant to say is that indigenous British food is dull. I wouldn’t care to find a fantastic Italian restaurant in London because I have fantastic Italian restaurants in New York, there is nothing special or compelling about London Italian.  The best meal I ever had in London was Indian. Again, plenty of that here in Manhattan. 

SAR I

9 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, I've eaten very well in London. Only an idiot would spend their whole time eating fish and chips and Shepherd's Pie.

Worst steak I have ever had and..........the put it on a bed of salad.   WTF?  I did like the fish and chips, and they didn't have mashed potatoes at their KFC.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:49 PM, Green Ghost said:

If I’m Mosely, I’m looking for any excuse I can to get off the field right now. I mean what’s the point of any vet putting his body on the line right now with this team?

On the other side of the coin, the Jets should be scouring the training room searching for Darnold’s old walking boot. After a couple more games Zach will be needing the same 3 week mental break they gave Sam his rookie year.

sam took it with him. he needs it for he yearly injury where he misses 3-4 games